Thread: multiwavelength field of study

multiwavelength field of study

multiwavelength understanding of large and complex structures inside (and beyond) the galaxy is still in the early stages of its discovery phase.

some structures inside the galaxy have a very large angular size.

an example is Loop 1 which appears to be around 90dg in size.

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/album.php?albumid=345

using a multiwavelength compositing method it can (arguably) be seen that materials such as galactic dust, hydrogen clouds and xray emitting superbubbles all vie for space in what amounts to a pressure system inside the galaxy.

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/album.php?albumid=343

with the discovery of helical forms wrapped around filaments we begin to see complex forms that have components that are only visible in distinct wavelengths. in this case: infrared (the filament) and radio (the helix).

quite probably other complex multi-component objects are still to be detected (in various wavelengths) and so the field is open to discovery.

Long ago I read a article which calculated various wave lengths that would be produced by star ships traveling up to 99.99999 c and various sizes and types of propulsion. Some of the wave lengths were as long as the FM broadcast band = about 3 meters. We need radio telescopes with dimenions in kilometers to get as good sensitivity as we get at millimeter waves. I suspect sensitivity is lower for far infarred, far ultraviolet, Xrays and gamma, but I have seen no numbers in nanowatts per meter, which is usual for radio waves. Visable light may be our most sensitive part of the EM spectrum. I know this is not the info you want, but I hope it will inspire posts closer to your needs. Neil
    Last edited by neilzero; 2013-Feb-27 at 02:12 PM.