Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cascadia Episodic Tremor and Slip

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical View Post
    Don't mind my hasty wording. There was a duplicate thread I had just posted in and I was reading about the Olympics recent ETS because there was a 7.+ quake on the Cascadia fault ~6 months ago.

This event was "official" months back. Unless you are saying the section in OR and CA are now official.

But, who cares, the point is this is fascinating stuff and I appreciated your update.

Re bears vs bares, whew, at least it was their error and not mine.

There was some darn good information in your thread as well. Such as ETS also occuring in some hot spot locations. I'm assuming they are meaning the episodic tremors that occur between uplift and subsidence shifts in hot spot regions, but it didn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    There was some darn good information in your thread as well. Such as ETS also occuring in some hot spot locations. I'm assuming they are meaning the episodic tremors that occur between uplift and subsidence shifts in hot spot regions, but it didn't say.
    Yes, the whole peninsula bulges up then subsides, and has been doing so for years, but I can't find the darn website that shows the GPS monitored recorders that show the up and down movement.

Ok this is neat, a video of the ETS Slip events, from 2009-2012.

http://tunk.ess.washington.edu/map_d...adia_movie.m4v

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Ok this is neat, a video of the ETS Slip events, from 2009-2012.

http://tunk.ess.washington.edu/map_d...adia_movie.m4v
    The link doesn't work for me.

Worked for me. It's a download of an MP4 file that you then have to open in a media player.

Interesting how some of the big clusters seem to originate in one area then sort of migrate to another.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Worked for me. It's a download of an MP4 file that you then have to open in a media player.

Interesting how some of the big clusters seem to originate in one area then sort of migrate to another.
    I got it to work in Safari (wouldn't work in Chrome). It's fascinating.

Something new going on with ETS not seen before, PNSN is blogging about it even with the Gov Shutdown. They are calling this ETS event over the last month a Quick Slip. Some GPS stations have measured upto 6mm change in position since this quick slip started last month. Image shouls a bit less then half of the 11,000+ plate tremors over the past month.

ETSSlip13.gif

Well they are saying the Quick Slip is over, though from what I'm seeing it's just slowed down significantly, but not stopped. The PNSN will be trying to determine the total amount of slip soon.

The latest ETS is defiantly over. Still waiting on news of the total slip, PNSN has a lot of data to sort through to get those figures.

Still no updates from last event on total slipage. Notable this month is just two tremors on Dec 2nd. Notable because they were both exactly 7 miles (10km) from the beginning of the junction of Continetal plate over the Juan de Fuca, at a depth of maybe 500-1000meters. Usualy see ETS tremors arounf the 40-80km depth areas futher inland, sometimes in the 20-40km range. December notable for 15 tremors less then the 20 km depth area, with these two just right at the plates junction starting point.