Thread: Do Transformers Exist ?

Do Transformers Exist ?

If the universe is infinite and everything that can happen will happen then, how likely is it that Transformers exist ?
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

Even if the universe is infinite, it doesn't necessarily lead to "everything that can happen will happen". That's fodder for several threads, some of which we've already covered in this forum.

But if everything that can happen will happen, that means everything physically possible does exist somewhere, including self-aware self-reconfigurable robots with strong AI.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Even if the universe is infinite, it doesn't necessarily lead to "everything that can happen will happen".
    I thought it did. Why wouldn't it? Even if a probability is very low, won't it happen if you have an infinite number of tries?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I thought it did. Why wouldn't it? Even if a probability is very low, won't it happen if you have an infinite number of tries?
    It might be a repeating infinity. It might be an infinity of emptiness with a small cluster of matter in one place. It might be an infinity of things we haven't thought of. The possibilities are (sorry in advance for the pun) endless.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Cheers, it popped into my head this morning so thought i would ask ! Now having time to think about it, even if everything that could happen will happen, that does not necessarily mean Transformers could happen in the first place. I think maybe there is a thread about this somewhere as you say..
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

Yes, transformers exist. There's several on a couple of power poles just outside where I'm sitting, and I'm sure there's at least one near where you are, unless you're on a generator. But they do exist, and are everywhere. There's some very big ones at substations.

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    Yes, transformers exist. There's several on a couple of power poles just outside where I'm sitting, and I'm sure there's at least one near where you are, unless you're on a generator. But they do exist, and are everywhere. There's some very big ones at substations.
    Keep an eye on those big ones.

Some place in Japan, there is a guy that is "this close" to having one.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    They're quite common in toy stores, too, as I understand. I haven't been toy shopping for about a half-decade or more, but there were plenty there the last time I visited and from what I've seen, there should still be quite a few in any large toy store.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It might be a repeating infinity.
    Thanks. For some reason I hadn't thought of that.
    As above, so below

Thanks. For some reason I hadn't thought of that.
    That explains the days when I don't want to get out of bed.
    Solfe

Assuming that intelligent lifeforms continue to improve their technology to the physical limits of possibility, I would expect that Transformers are a common outcome. Perhaps the most common outcome. Not humanoid machines that disguise themselves as 20th-21st Century Terran automobiles, of course, but living mechanical beings in whatever form best suits what they want to do and be.

"The first explorers of Earth had long since come to the limits of flesh and blood; as soon as their machines were better than their bodies, it was time to move. First their brains, and then their thoughts alone, they transferred into shining new homes of metal and of plastic. In these, they roamed the Galaxy. They no longer built spaceships. They were spaceships.
--2001: A Space Odyssey, the novel

As an analogy consider what happens when you toss a die (one of a pair of dice). If it was tossed an infinite number of times, somewhere in the list of tosses would be any length streak you might want. Somewhere there would be a string of twenty 6s in a row. Somewhere there would be 1-2-3-4-5-6 followed by itself a hundred times. But never a 7.

The universe is like that. Some things can't happen--we'll never find an element between hydrogen and helium.

Sure, a 7 *could* have occurred (the cosmic dice thrower just grabbed a different set of dice) or there *could* be an element between hydrogen and helium, if we fudge a little with our definition of element. But the point is that just having an infinite numbers of possibilities does not mean that *everything* must have happened. What if that dice thrower deliberately throws a 7 after every 1-2-3-4-5-6?