Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125
Results 3,721 to 3,749 of 3749

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I have been organizing a series of articles for the film site I write for in tribute to Women's History Month. Despite all the recruiting I've been doing, which has literally come to outright begging a time or two, among the people of my acquaintance, today's a blank on the schedule and I'm probably going to have to write an extra article myself. There are, I'm pretty sure, two more blanks left this month, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have been organizing a series of articles for the film site I write for in tribute to Women's History Month. Despite all the recruiting I've been doing, which has literally come to outright begging a time or two, among the people of my acquaintance, today's a blank on the schedule and I'm probably going to have to write an extra article myself. There are, I'm pretty sure, two more blanks left this month, too.
    That is a pity as there have been some very interesting articles posted to date. I guess that like most things done on a volunteer basis there are never enough volunteers.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Mar-15 at 08:28 AM.

Yeah, exactly. But we have actually filled the rest of the month, in part because Netflix made a decision to cancel One Day at a Time claiming low viewership. I mean, never mind that no one has ever actually seen Netflix's viewership statistics, and never mind that, as a subscriber-based model, they don't have to worry about ratings the way a commercial-based platform does. I'm about to post a friend's very annoyed article on the subject!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

My sister-in-law almost got caught up in a scam. She is looking to move into a new rental, about two hours away, where housing is cheaper and more centrally located with respect to relatives.

As part of her search, she replied to an ad on Craigslist. The "owner" responded that they he is going to rent it on his own because of some previous issue with a real-estate agent. (Okay...), and that he was currently out of town, but if she wanted to "drive by" and look in the windows, that would be fine. ( A little odd...)

My SIL replied that it was two hours from her home, and if she drove that far, she'd want to have a good look at the place.
    The response was that the owner was on a 2-month business trip, and that his "secretary" was monitoring his properties while he was away. (Increasingly odd...)
    Unfortunately, she was at another property and couldn't provide a tour right now. (Really odd...)
    However, if she would fill out the attached form asking for personal information, they would prepare a lease and find a way to get the keys to her (Alarm!, Alarm!). Additionally, this correspondence was riddled with grammar issues (Ding! Ding!)

It was at this point that SIL hit the abort button. Personally, I might have held out a little longer to see if the owner wanted the security deposit paid in gift cards.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My sister-in-law almost got caught up in a scam. She is looking to move into a new rental, about two hours away, where housing is cheaper and more centrally located with respect to relatives.

As part of her search, she replied to an ad on Craigslist. The "owner" responded that they he is going to rent it on his own because of some previous issue with a real-estate agent. (Okay...), and that he was currently out of town, but if she wanted to "drive by" and look in the windows, that would be fine. ( A little odd...)

My SIL replied that it was two hours from her home, and if she drove that far, she'd want to have a good look at the place.
    The response was that the owner was on a 2-month business trip, and that his "secretary" was monitoring his properties while he was away. (Increasingly odd...)
    Unfortunately, she was at another property and couldn't provide a tour right now. (Really odd...)
    However, if she would fill out the attached form asking for personal information, they would prepare a lease and find a way to get the keys to her (Alarm!, Alarm!). Additionally, this correspondence was riddled with grammar issues (Ding! Ding!)

It was at this point that SIL hit the abort button. Personally, I might have held out a little longer to see if the owner wanted the security deposit paid in gift cards.
    I don't know if she would want to the fuss, but she might want to let the police know, or if the local DA has an anti-fraud unit.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It's not much over two weeks until 4/15 and I haven't even started looking at my taxes. And I entirely forgot to make estimated payments.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That reminds me I should get mine done, I still have a month left and only take a few minutes but I keep putting it off.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

An overzealous attendant at a self-checkout line in a grocery store this morning. She snatched the hand basket out from under me before I could get the last package of soup mix out of it. I managed to remain polite as I showed her up in front of other customers.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I'm not sure where to put this story; it almost sounds like a bad April Fools' joke.

My future son-in-law, who recently moved to a new town, had been working as a temporary contract employee at a major office supply distributor for the last few months.
    His supervisor liked his work, and said that they intended to hire him as a regular employee when their contract with the temp agency expired.

Then, over last weekend, he had a health incident that had the symptoms of a gall stone. He spent Mon & Tues in the hospital but they couldn't find the root cause.
    He was feeling better, so they sent him home. Thurs, he visited his regular doctor, returning to work on Friday.
    He alerted his supervisor when he first went to the hospital, and presented notes from the hospital and his doctor upon return.

Friday's work went well, but when he got home, he received a call from the HR department telling him that he was being terminated.

This morning, he decided to call his supervisor to ask for the reason of his termination, and perhaps point out that it was unprofessional to terminate his employment in such a manner. After all, he had ample opportunity to do so in person earlier in the day.
    His supervisor's response was, "Why aren't you at work?"

Somehow, the HR department took it upon themselves to terminate his employment without consulting the department manager.
    After a few phone calls by the manager, and my future SiL was back on the job.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2019-Apr-02 at 01:27 AM.

If it were my company, someone in that HR department would be looking for a job.

Sounds illegal, in fact.

I encountered yet another case of dubious default settings in my computer. I was dubbing some music into Audacity software for editing. The playback had some distortion and moments of total silence. It was an "enhancement" in the sound circuit which was the equivalent of a microphone input, in the form of an overactive noise suppression function. I unchecked it and the sound was fine. Some more geeks in the decision-making process are candidates for having their mouths washed out with soap.

Househunting is getting discouraging.

"You can't erase icing."

Stick in there Gillian.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Househunting is getting discouraging.
    The last house we purchased - now in it for 22 years - took well over 12 months to find. This included just missing out on several other suitable houses."Stick in there" is the right advice - obviously as long as you are currently living in a reasonable place of course. Don't become frustrated and buy a house that is not right for you.

My wife wants to move.

But given that real estate prices in my area are going up 10 percent every year, and my income goes up three percent every year, I don't see it happening.

We're supposed to be going into a buyer's market, so there's that.

Hey, the houses on either side of us are up for sale, if you feel like moving.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Right state.

Wrong metro area, unfortunately.

We've made two offers and lost out both times. The first house was better; the second location was better. Maybe third time'll be the charm where I'll get more what I want in both?

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday was a very bad day. My best friend was supposed to visit overnight on her way from one parent's house to the other, but she had a seizure and can't fly for a while. Because I was supposed to be at the airport picking her up at the time Graham was supposed to get home, he didn't call to let me know he'd be well over an hour late. (Nearly two, which should still have merited a call in my opinion, because I definitely would've gotten home first.) Irene got out because Simon left a door open, and a neighbour almost hit her in the parking lot. I had a screaming pain in the base of my neck. And because I was so saddened by that and the news from Paris, I didn't finish the sewing that should've gotten done yesterday.

And one of the ways my brain handles stress is to insist I Have To Be Right About Something, which makes me more likely to argue with idiots on the internet.

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday was a very bad day. My best friend was supposed to visit overnight on her way from one parent's house to the other, but she had a seizure and can't fly for a while. Because I was supposed to be at the airport picking her up at the time Graham was supposed to get home, he didn't call to let me know he'd be well over an hour late. (Nearly two, which should still have merited a call in my opinion, because I definitely would've gotten home first.) Irene got out because Simon left a door open, and a neighbour almost hit her in the parking lot. I had a screaming pain in the base of my neck. And because I was so saddened by that and the news from Paris, I didn't finish the sewing that should've gotten done yesterday.

And one of the ways my brain handles stress is to insist I Have To Be Right About Something, which makes me more likely to argue with idiots on the internet.
    I'm sorry for your bad day Gillianren. The news from Paris has also made me a little sad, though the rest of my day was fine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Very sorry, Gillian. Have a better day!

The sewing did get finished! If you still haven't been able to see the pictures, I'll break down and put them on a page on my faire boss's website that you can only see if you have the link.

"You can't erase icing."

Thanks, Gillian.

Graham left for drill this morning. We still aren't sure if he will be home at night or spend the next seventeen days "in the field" on base a full half-hour away from home. Meanwhile Simon scratched his eye during our Easter egg hunt in the park yesterday, and he's doing his "I hurt so much!" scream at all occasions. I don't doubt that it hurts--my friend who's had a scratched cornea agrees. But I doubt it hurts banshee wail the next morning. It was especially hard to drum up sympathy when my lower back hurt so much this morning that I could barely walk. (It loosened up as I got things done for Simon.) Also, we had to go to two different urgent cares, because the first one had no supplies on hand for pediatric eye issues, and while we got a prescription from the second one for some antibiotic ointment, of course that was after the pharmacy had closed. The doctor at the first one said she'd have to numb him in order to do anything; the doctor at the second one didn't suggest numbing at all.

"You can't erase icing."

I've got two young children here and I know how things can huuuurt soooo muuuuuch. I also have two eyes here and even a tiny injury can sting like hell for multiple days. So this time around, it just might really hurt so much. Not that you can do a lot about it either way apart from whatever the doctor told you to do.

I had to pick him up from school yesterday because he huuurt sooooo muuuuuuch. He spent the day at home. He hurts enough again today that I'm not even bothering--that I also got about an extra hour of sleep before he and his sister woke up doesn't hurt, frankly. In addition, I had to spend most of what little money I had left for the month to pick up gauze pads, tap, and a gel pack for eye care. And on top of that, Graham's Reserves unit is so incompetent that they didn't let him know for sure until yesterday, while he was there, that he was supposed to be spending his entire drill on base. Only they forgot to arrange that with the base. What with one thing and another, he got home well after the kids' bedtime, and he had to be back on base at seven this morning. He'll be home again tonight, then probably on base for the rest of his drill. Unless they screw that up.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm sure the doctor checked that no debris was left in the eye, just the scratch? Not that it hurts any less, but any debris should be removed before it starts healing.

A colleague of mine once called me out of bed (3am) while we were both on a 100h/week job abroad. I had last seen him in the bar, so I was ready to keelhaul him. But it turned out he had gotten metal shavings in his eye during the day and had to have them removed at the hospital, only to find there was no more return taxi at 3am. So he was standing there, outside a hospital, one functional eye, in the middle of the night, somewhere in a not so populated part of the Middle East. One of the very few good reasons to call me at that hour.

...Unless they screw that up.
    Now, I’m picturing Bill Murray’s character in the movie “Stripes”:

“Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy training, sir!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk