Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 2477

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Going through a red light is illegal in the UK, so I always feel slightly panicky making a right turn through one in the USA or Canada.

When my wife was in her teens she spent a summer in Canada staying with her uncle (her first time abroad), and her uncle gave her the use of a car. He suggested he sit in as a passenger the first time she drove it, just so that she could get used to things under a little supervision. So out they went, down a busy gravel cross-street to join the surfaced main road through this small Canadian town. She stopped at the red light, in a right turning lane. After a polite Canadian pause, drivers behind her started to sound their horns when she ignored gaps in the cross traffic.
    "Just turn right," said her uncle.
    "But it's a red."
    "You can turn right on a red."
    "Are you sure?"
    (Loud horns behind, now, and they're both getting a little tense.)
    "Yes, I'm sure," snaps her uncle. "There's no traffic. Just pull out on to the pavement now."
    "The pavement?" yelps my wife.
    (Honk. Honk. Honk.)
    "Yes, the pavement! Go!"
    So she did. The problem, of course, being that what a Brit calls the pavement is what a Canadian calls the sidewalk. She drove diagonally across the corner of the sidewalk and then into the street again, with her uncle screaming in the passenger seat.

Grant Hutchison

Right on red is legal in Washington State. Graham wishes it wasn't; he was on his bike and got hit by a car once when the driver turned right on red.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Right on red is legal in Washington State. Graham wishes it wasn't; he was on his bike and got hit by a car once when the driver turned right on red.
    We have the reverse problem in the UK - drivers with the right of way on green hitting cyclists who have made a turn against the red from a cross-street, often by bouncing on to the pavement (sidewalk) in order to become "temporary pedestrians". I've also seen pedestrians clipped by such cyclists, who at the critical moment are appearing from an unexpected direction and looking over their shoulders at the traffic stream they're trying to merge into, rather than in the direction they're travelling.

Grant Hutchison

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I don't like turn on red. Red should mean stop. We do have junctions with dedicated left turn (equivalent to your right turn) filter chords, which mimic that effect but it doesn't involve treating the red as something to be interpretted.

It's the same reason I don't like dynamic hard shoulder running. Hard shoulder is for emergency use only. It shouldn't be open as a running lane sometimes.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We have the reverse problem in the UK - drivers with the right of way on green hitting cyclists who have made a turn against the red from a cross-street, often by bouncing on to the pavement (sidewalk) in order to become "temporary pedestrians". I've also seen pedestrians clipped by such cyclists, who at the critical moment are appearing from an unexpected direction and looking over their shoulders at the traffic stream they're trying to merge into, rather than in the direction they're travelling.

Grant Hutchison
    Omg audi cyclists suck worse than Microsoft. It's not just self-entitled road use like an Audi driver. But it is also the sanctimonious attitude that because they're on a bike they are better than everyone else so they should treat them like they're King Xerxes.

It's also why I keep off the heavily travelled roads as much as possible when cycling.

A 62-year-old patient with cerebral palsy and paralysis, alone in the hospital. Next-of-kin nowhere around. What phone #'s listed in patient info (family) are disconnected or there's no answer, etc.

Unfortunately this is not so uncommon.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

My Mother-in-Law died last October and her early 1950's house has been vacant for about 12 months since she had a fall that hospitalised her. We have emptied the house of anything valuable and all that remains are things that are hard to get rid of - like 1960's buffets etc. I go over twice a week to mow the lawn and keep an eye on things. Now probate is done we hope to rent it out for 12 months or so while we work out what to do.

Today I went over and the front windows were smashed. They are old style windows with two small sash windows separated by a larger pane of glass - with sand etched patterns. Both the large panels were smashed and the top pane of 3 of the 4 sash windows were smashed or badly cracked. A couple of bricks were on the lounge room floor and a bike pedal and crank on the bedroom floor. Some books and nick-nacks had been thrown out the lounge window - but nothing was actually stolen. Some children, probably about 10 - 12 yrs old, had apparently been making nuisances of themselves in that street the previous evening so it was probably them.

I rang the insurance company and the glazier was there within 3 hours and the glass replaced - with plain not decorated panels. Police forensic attended within about 6 hours but there were no useful fingerprints so they did a DNA swab on the bricks. But really I don't have any hope of any successful outcome. I will get some aluminium sheets and cover the windows until we are closer to getting a tenant.

In the end, insurance will cover the cost but of course it will take time and effort to sort it all out. It is also sad to lose the old windows - but realistically the house will probably be bulldozed and units built once it is sold. Really it is just the sheer needlessness of it all that galls me. But, at least they didn't steal the front door, which happened at my Fathers house after he died!

I'm sorry ozduck. I've never really understood that kind of random vandalism.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My sympathies, ozduck. It never fails to confound me, the pointless things some people choose to do.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Sorry to hear that Ozduck.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost

http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

People who redirect, deny or joyfully could care less that their position or group they are a part of are total hypocrites when shown they are wrong.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Thanks for the comments - I went over today and the new glass has at least lasted 24 hours

Anyone want to rent a cheap house 10 minutes drive from Perth Airport?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Anyone want to rent a cheap house 10 minutes drive from Perth Airport?
    Only if the FAA offers me a position at the Perth Airport with an obscenely large relocation bonus, a similarly obscene salary increase, and moving expenses. Oh...and the house must have a detached workshop. Non-negotiable.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Only if the FAA offers me a position at the Perth Airport with an obscenely large relocation bonus, a similarly obscene salary increase, and moving expenses. Oh...and the house must have a detached workshop. Non-negotiable.
    You probably won't have to shovel snow off the roof. Does that count as a bonus?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Is the detached work shop you or your wife's idea. At least you didn't put a table saw in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You probably won't have to shovel snow off the roof. Does that count as a bonus?
    Why not? Does the snow fall up due to the place being upside-down?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Why not? Does the snow fall up due to the place being upside-down?
    .uᴉɐƃɐ ǝʞoɾ plo ʇɐɥʇ ʇou 'uɐɯ ʍ∀

(Made here)

We're all about reusing and recycling around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Not enough of a bonus. It's gonna take an awful lot to pry my happy fat backside out of by-gosh-Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Is the detached work shop you or your wife's idea. At least you didn't put a table saw in the basement.
    It's mine. All mine. My sanctuary and my domain.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

And you have plenty of bear grease for your tools

Actually it does have a detached powered workshop - original brick garage about two car lengths long and still with some tools and work benches from my father-in-law. Basements are virtually non-existent in private homes in W.A. as most houses are double brick built on a concrete pad laid over the ubiquitous sand. Absolutely no chance of snow or bears - even though a school mate of mine was killed by a Polar Bear in Perth - swimming in a Polar Bear pool at a zoo after using LSD is a not a life extending option.

However, you will have to contact Airservices Australia for your obscene salary - the FAA doesn't have any remit here. You could work as an Air Traffic Controller on a salary of A$46,000 (US$34,600) for a trainee up to A$208,000 (US$157,000) for a team leader - plenty of money left over to pay the rent. And it will only take a short trip to visit your family back in the U.S. - we took about 45 hours travelling & waiting time to get back here from Halifax, Canada last year - we were actually "in the air" for about 27 of those hours, the rest were because of a couple of long connections at Toronto and Hong Kong.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2017-Mar-11 at 03:08 AM.

Those salaries are pretty comparable to our pay scales but alas, I am not a controller. I'm just the chief pencil pusher, bean counter, and box kicker for my district.

Absolutely no chance of snow or bears - even though a school mate of mine was killed by a Polar Bear in Perth - swimming in a Polar Bear pool at a zoo after using LSD is a not a life extending option.
    Yikes! What a way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yikes! What a way to go...
    Yes, and there was a disturbing photo of him, oblivious to the danger, about to put an arm around the bear - no more photos after that thank goodness. This was in the early 1970's - just looked it up and it was in 1972 the year after I left High School.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2017-Mar-11 at 08:17 AM.

What about the drop bear I hear they can be a real hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    What about the drop bear I hear they can be a real hazard.
    Definitely one of the most dangerous predators in Oz - and with a special liking for tourists, As evidenced by http://www.australiangeographic.com....s,-study-says/

... Anyone want to rent a cheap house 10 minutes drive from Perth Airport?
    Okay, I'm going to get serious for a moment.

Perth and Houston are sister cities. Both have a lot of oil related businesses. In fact, several Houston-based companies have offices in Perth.

The relationship goes back 75 years this month, and a little incident in the Sunda Strait, when HMAS Perth and USS Houston were on patrol. They were attacked and sunk by a superior force. Many of the survivors ended up working on a railroad in Burma. (I think there may have been a movie on that.)

(There's a great feature article on this in the Chronicle, but you have to be a subscriber to access it. Sorry.)

Back to your regular programming.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Okay, I'm going to get serious for a moment.

Perth and Houston are sister cities. Both have a lot of oil related businesses. In fact, several Houston-based companies have offices in Perth.

The relationship goes back 75 years this month, and a little incident in the Sunda Strait, when HMAS Perth and USS Houston were on patrol. They were attacked and sunk by a superior force. Many of the survivors ended up working on a railroad in Burma. (I think there may have been a movie on that.)

(There's a great feature article on this in the Chronicle, but you have to be a subscriber to access it. Sorry.)

Back to your regular programming.
    Jim The relationship with Houston is well recognised in Perth.There is a plaque on the "old"Town Hall in central Perth (convict labour built) commemorating the sinking of those two ships and it is an event that is still remembered. Currently there is much angst that the wrecks of these ships, which would be protected War Graves in Australian waters, have been plundered for metal salvage. http://www.smh.com.au/world/sailors-...15-gpjopp.html

Once again, it is a pain in the neck (literally in the back) to clean up after lazy snowplow operators who leave huge piles of freezing slush across my driveway. The blade can be squared up briefly with a joystick in the cab to push the pile past the driveway opening and then returned to the slanted position to drop the load where it does no harm. The first one past my place this morning, working on a couple of inches of heavy, sticky snow and sleet mixture, left such a pile, while just making a token swipe at the street. Another one about an hour later did a nice job of swiveling his blade to do just what I am advocating.

Of course there is not much you can do if there are lots of cars parked on both sides of the street. That's another issue entirely. We would benefit from a snow emergency measure which requires parking on one designated side of the street during a declared emergency. Then the plows could push the snow to the other side and not wall in the cars. That would work in my neighborhood where all of us could find such parking space with at worst a few minutes of walking to home. It would not work overnight or on a Sunday afternoon in my mother's old inner city neighborhood in Washington, DC, where it is parked solid on both sides everywhere.

Couple of years ago, a snowplough blocked off both ends of our street that way. It turned into a wall of ice two feet high in the early afternoon while most of the residents were at work, which created something of a traffic jam in the early evening while we dug our way back to our homes.

(I find the American spelling, "snowplow", curiously difficult to read - I automatically want to pronounce both syllables the same way, and I have to cycle through two nonsense words [rhyming with "how now" and "toe show"] before my brain catches up and extracts the meaning.)

Grant Hutchison