Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2621

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    A relative of mine managed to put a hole in a wall with an exploding vaping device. Number of fingers lost, zero. But this relative was not known for his good judgement even before this incident.
    Yikes!

People who ignore "No Animals" or "No Dogs" signs at parks (including wildlife refuges) or beaches and take their animals (sometimes not leashed) anyway. The sign doesn't say "No Animals, except YOURS. YOUR dog is fine, it's everyone ELSE'S animals that are a problem". I get that some areas don't have a lot of pet/dog friendly beaches or parks. But you know what? Elect people or raise money that can be used to set aside appropriate spaces for your pets. Sensitive wild or natural habitat ain't that space.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Cj, I see that one a lot too.

People that take dogs into critical bird nesting habitats is an all too common occurrence around here. Though I've found that if you explain things to them, said people usually wander into the protected area without seeing/reading the signs. We have a dog beach here that's bracketed by protected areas.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

The specific place that triggered the above post has VERY LARGE PRINT signs that one MUST walk past to get to the trails. nearly all the public beach access points near where I live have easily noticed signs you MUST pass before accessing the beach. I am sure there are instances of innocently missing the sign, but I find it hard to believe even a quarter of what I see are "oops, I didn't see that little ol' sign!".

On the other side of the state there's a large state park that has no access signs all over the place near sandbars for endangered and threatened birds. People routinely tie up RIGHT NEAR THE SIGNS and tromp over the sandbars like they're their private beaches. And many of these people get ANGRY and upset that you'd dare tell them to move or they might be disturbing wildlife.

Can you tell this has me fired up? Probably at least some deflection from larger but related issues not generally allowed here.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Oh, I followed your link CJ, and man do I have some bird stories for you!

Just not in this thread.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

Stephen King.

For a man who's so greatly profited for decades from freedom of the press and giving offense (to some), he's NOW siding with censorship (and acts of violence).

What a hypocrite!

No longer a fan.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Stephen King.

For a man who's so greatly profited for decades from freedom of the press and giving offense (to some), he's NOW siding with censorship (and acts of violence).

What a hypocrite!

No longer a fan.
    Is he? How?

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Is he? How?

CJSF
    Check his Twitter feed (you needn't have Twitter yourself; his account is entirely open, can access via Google).

His most recent Re-Tweet especially.

For a man who's made a quarter billion $$$ he - of all people - shouldn't be celebrating censorship.

Is he? How?

CJSF
    Seconded. Googling "Stephen King Censorship" brings up nothing that appears relevant. Or even recent.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Even checking his Twitter didn't clarify it for me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Nope. Scrolled through a whole bunch of tweets. Blank.

Grant Hutchison

Yeah, I've gone back through to the end of February. Apart from being of an obvious political persuasion, I see some mild entertainment promotions (including his own) and a few dog pics.

Are you sure you found the right account?

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

I'm pretty sure the "annoying" Stephen King retweet was the one originated by Zach Heltzel which seemed to celebrate Milo and Tomi losing some media access -- by the owners of the media. (Warning: language and politics, so I'm unsure why it was offered as a family-friendly topic. Maybe I should hope I'm referring to the wrong retweet!)
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

Who?

lonelybirder.org

Who?
    As the good Dr. Sweet put it...

Trying to talk around an out-of-bounds topic rarely works out well. Best to drop it entirely.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Understood.

My sister Deborah has a severe, and I mean life threatening, allergy to garlic. Now, garlic is ubiquitous in nearly all spice mixtures and savory foods. So eating is never a casual act for her; she has to very carefully screen all ingredients of every item for hidden traces of it. If there is even a possibility that it is present, she can't take the chance.

We are visiting relatives and were having a barbecue. The host/cook went out of his way to accommodate my sister, making specially prepared items like unseasoned meat and homemade sauce for her. Unfortunately, a mix-up led to Deb unknowingly consuming the seasoned meat instead.

We were having fun. Most of those present went out on a boat on a lake. My niece and her cousin, went fishing off the dock. But my sister stayed behind because she had the beginnings of a headache.

Well, the headache was the first sign of a reaction. As a few minutes passed, she felt worse and decided to leave. We had to call her husband, who was on the boat with my nephew and my mom, and they cut short their activities to come back to shore. My sister took four Benedryl.

My niece was disappointed that she could not stay with her cousin. All family members (and myself) were frightened for my sister. We had to leave. As we drove back to our relatives' house, she decided to stop at a drugstore and get syrup of ipecac so she could remove the offending food from her stomach before absorbing too much of it.

Well, we found an open Wallgreen, only for her to discover that they no longer sold ipecac. She bought castor oil instead, but was dubious about using it. We went to the house and she headed for the bathroom. Instead of using the castor oil she had to manually induce vomiting. In the process she ruined her clothes and had to borrow a bathrobe.

Now this house was not the same one she and her husband and kids were staying at. But she said the one where they were staying had a strong odor of cat pee in the bathroom. So she elected to stay here instead. That meant that my brother in law had to drive back to the house they were staying at and retrieve my sister's medicine, CPAP, and clothing to bring here.

Tomorrow will tell whether she is recovered or not. She has previously had similar emergencies with widely varied results, from full recovery to internal bleeding. Fortunately this case seems to have involved only minimal amounts of garlic, for a relatively short time. I don't doubt that she will eventually be okay. However the adrenaline is keeping me awake, I probably will not sleep for the rest of the night. It was frustrating and irritating to have to cut short not only our good time, but that of the children.

I hate seeing my sister go through this, and see the effects it has on her kids as they worry about their mother. And of course the host/cook totally blames himself for it all. It could have been much worse though, and knowing Debbie she won't let it ruin her vacation or her family's.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Tell your sister your friends here wish her a quick recovery. Keep us posted.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Tell your sister your friends here wish her a quick recovery. Keep us posted.
    Yes and yes.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Definitely.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Update, my sister is now recovered. Her actions, though icky, got enough out of her system in time to spare her the worst of the effects.

Thank you for all your support and kind thoughts.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Dang - I'd missed your first post, but very glad your sister is doing ok now!

Good news!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Our lovely niece is getting married this afternoon in Tacoma. Her parents won't be there, because her mom, my sister-in-law, is hospitalized in Boise. I feel so bad for them.

All we are getting out of the hot water is cold water. I think I found a blown fuse now just waiting for the water heater to heat water if my fix worked.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our lovely niece is getting married this afternoon in Tacoma. Her parents won't be there, because her mom, my sister-in-law, is hospitalized in Boise. I feel so bad for them.
    hope the wedding goes well.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Thanks, it was lovely. I hope people realized that when my other niece, the bride's sister kept tripping over chairs that she wasn't drunk, just blind.

While reading some notes for a post I could barely read them because my handwriting can suck at times.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

It seems a long-time and very good friend of ours has gotten himself into a love triangle.

His ex-wife (15 years married) relies on him (self-employed) for part-time work/pay. Last I knew is still proclaiming love for him.

But a new woman has entered the picture, who has (alleged) medical troubles. His tending to her (including hospitalizations) is taking time - clients - money away from the business...

...which ex-wife still depends on.