Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3385

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Miss Gillian, I have and probably always will think of you as a kid sister I never had. Or, I should say, the second kid sister I never had.

The kid sister I do have, as a child, used to wear cowboy boots, and then later as a tween in the early 70's, go-go boots, specifically to kick her older brothers in the shins. Claiming self defense of course.

Anyway, I wanted to relate when the paralysis starts to hit you start getting oddly clumsy and it was almost amusing. Specifically, accidently "catapulting" food off of your fork because your forearm rotated oddly in an unexpected manner. Happened three times, twice in public. I'm right handed and inadvertently flipped the food off to my right, several feet no less. This seemed familiar but I couldn't place it. Then the shocker came after I pulled a "Laurel and Hardy" a few days later. That's when you pour a drink into your own lap while checking the time. I've only ever done THAT when that other med fragged me so hard. Then I remembered doing to food flipping too! So I panicked a bit, I must confess.

Fortunately I'm back to were I was. Though I still find it hard to imagine never dancing with a woman again. (When you dance with a cane they keep trying to lead.)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Went out to get some kindling for a fire because my mother is cold and came in her going on and on, yep my biological dad called. he left 37 years ago. I have nothing to say to him.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Somebody thought they saw a "big picture" today with regard to my health issues this morning and I'm awaiting blood test results to disprove their hypothesis.

I hate this time of not knowing.

Don't you hate it being left that state of not knowing for sure what is going on.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Don't you hate it being left that state of not knowing for sure what is going on.
    Yeah, I want to talk to my family about this but don't want to alarm them if the docs are wrong. They think I might be developing a broad spectrum auto-immune response. With the L word being said.

Your doctor’s last name isn’t “House” is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

In Australia two large grocery stores dominate the market and have been in bitter conflict for years. One of the stores was part of a conglomerate that also ran Australia's biggest - and probably most profitable - hardware chain. The other store thought they saw a way to attack their rival and make some easy money by opening a competing hardware chain. They went into partnership with the US hardware store operator Lowes and started an aggressive roll out of stores. They then sat back and watched the money roll in - not.

After losing about A$3.5 (US$2.6) billion in four years they gave up and liquidated the business. The reasons for the failure included a too aggressive start-up and having a partner, Lowes, who were managing the stores having no knowledge of the Australian market and apparently little willingness to learn. They apparently even fell for the old trick of forgetting that summer occurs at a different time of year in the Southern Hemisphere and supplied wrong seasonal stock.

Anyway, the other store was left as the gorilla ruling over the Australian hardware scene. You would think that some lessons might have been learnt from this but no. With overweening hubris the victorious store treated their win as proving that, like they always knew, they were the geniuses of the hardware business and could do no wrong. So they decided to expand to the UK and show how clever they were. Today, after a couple of years they are selling out and will lose about A$1.5 (US $1!.13) billion for their "efforts".

But, luckily, the senor managers etc involved have already departed, or will shortly do so, with their Golden Parachutes firmly clutched. The shareholders will have to settle for a few sandwiches at the annual meeting amid protestations that, a direct quote, "While it is important that we learn from this experience, this should not discourage our team from being bold and diligent in pursuing opportunities to create shareholder value,"

Have they never read George Santayana?
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-May-25 at 07:13 AM.

They paid too much for Homebase which was in decline, in the belief they could turn it around. So they closed stores people went to and consolidated out of town in direct competition with B&Q who are bigger and better. I used to go to the Homebase in the south side of Edinburgh all the time as it was handy if I just needed something quickly. They sold the land for housing and moved a couple of miles away and I haven't been in the new one in the couple of years it has been open. It doesn't look far on a map but it can take half an hour each way at the weekend. Maybe that would work in Oz, but not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    They paid too much for Homebase which was in decline, in the belief they could turn it around. So they closed stores people went to and consolidated out of town in direct competition with B&Q who are bigger and better. I used to go to the Homebase in the south side of Edinburgh all the time as it was handy if I just needed something quickly. They sold the land for housing and moved a couple of miles away and I haven't been in the new one in the couple of years it has been open. It doesn't look far on a map but it can take half an hour each way at the weekend. Maybe that would work in Oz, but not here.
    Lack of local knowledge and unfounded faith in your decision making ability at work.

"Lowes" and "Hardware Store" in the same sentence simply does not compute. So that's their first mistake. Even Home Depot comes closer.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I hate my addiction to this place.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    In Australia two large grocery stores dominate the market and have been in bitter conflict for years. One of the stores was part of a conglomerate that also ran Australia's biggest - and probably most profitable - hardware chain. The other store thought they saw a way to attack their rival and make some easy money by opening a competing hardware chain. They went into partnership with the US hardware store operator Lowes and started an aggressive roll out of stores. They then sat back and watched the money roll in - not.

After losing about A$3.5 (US$2.6) billion in four years they gave up and liquidated the business. The reasons for the failure included a too aggressive start-up and having a partner, Lowes, who were managing the stores having no knowledge of the Australian market and apparently little willingness to learn. They apparently even fell for the old trick of forgetting that summer occurs at a different time of year in the Southern Hemisphere and supplied wrong seasonal stock.

Anyway, the other store was left as the gorilla ruling over the Australian hardware scene. You would think that some lessons might have been learnt from this but no. With overweening hubris the victorious store treated their win as proving that, like they always knew, they were the geniuses of the hardware business and could do no wrong. So they decided to expand to the UK and show how clever they were. Today, after a couple of years they are selling out and will lose about A$1.5 (US $1!.13) billion for their "efforts".

But, luckily, the senor managers etc involved have already departed, or will shortly do so, with their Golden Parachutes firmly clutched. The shareholders will have to settle for a few sandwiches at the annual meeting amid protestations that, a direct quote, "While it is important that we learn from this experience, this should not discourage our team from being bold and diligent in pursuing opportunities to create shareholder value,"

Have they never read George Santayana?
    I don't if noticed during a visit here a gas stations with a word that started with the letter "I" but the family owns hardware stores, gas stations, is in the forestry business and prodeuces frozen food. There is a joke in New Brunswick that the province is owned by them.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I don't if noticed during a visit here a gas stations with a word that started with the letter "I" but the family owns hardware stores, gas stations, is in the forestry business and prodeuces frozen food. There is a joke in New Brunswick that the province is owned by them.
    I did notice the Irving Gas Stations and actually filled up at a couple of them while in New Brunswick, one was somewhere near Charlottetown Airport. I have also heard of Irving Shipbuilding and saw their shipyard in Halifax when we were there. They seem a bit better at keeping their family finances secret than some other families.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I did notice the Irving Gas Stations and actually filled up at a couple of them while in New Brunswick, one was somewhere near Charlottetown Airport. I have also heard of Irving Shipbuilding and saw their shipyard in Halifax when we were there. They seem a bit better at keeping their family finances secret than some other families.
    JD the man who founded the company put it his will that the company will never be headquartered in Canada because of the taxes.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "Lowes" and "Hardware Store" in the same sentence simply does not compute. So that's their first mistake. Even Home Depot comes closer.
    Lowes has also switched over to the system where you have to deal with a website rather than have someone in HR talk to you about the person's hours and wages, and that's delaying our mortgage! So you and I dislike them for different reasons.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I took my kids to see Infinity War and one of them got so upset at the ending that he puked. No spoilers here, I felt bad for not previewing this film. In retrospect, in previewing I would not have realized the impact of the final few minutes.

It's almost three weeks later and he is still puking every few days. No fever, no pain, no warning. So, not the film. He's been off to the doctors twice for this and may need a scope to find the real problem. Ugh.

We have been trying to make his life as stress free as possible, which is kind of stressful. The one positive on this is, out of annoyance, I said something to him I normally wouldn't say to a kid that made him laugh for over an hour. "I don't give "something, something" if you go to camp." Now I can just stop at "I don't give..." which cracks him up. It's hard to make a 14 year old laugh like that.

As near as I can tell, two different doctors have thrown up their hands and want that scope. So, off to get a scope. The sooner, the better. Unfortunately, not this week.
    Solfe

A discussion in the trivial thread has triggered this tirade...(warning, it may be a repeat).

Traffic lights are never programmed to detect cyclists (and often motorcycles).
    Crosswalk buttons, if present, are almost always on the "wrong" side of the road (positioned for pedestrians, not cyclists).

Therefore, cyclists can be left in a difficult position.
    If you cross to the "wrong" side of the road to press the button, the light will inevitably change, before you can return to your lane, leaving you in a very precarious position.
    You can attempt to illegally cross the road against the red light, but even that isn't an option if cross-traffic is heavy.
    You can sit and wait for a car to approach and trigger the signal, but that may be a very long time.

There is one intersection I cross on my commute where cross-traffic is heavy, but through-traffic is light. There is a pedestrian button on the other side of the street, but it is on the other side of a ditch and some bushes (not accessible to anyone).

As Tom Petty said, "There ain't no easy way out."

I had a friend with a motor scooter who regularly had that problem at the traffic light nearest our apartments, when he lived across the street. His problem was that he'd often be coming home very late at night and needing to make a left turn, so even pushing the pedestrian button wouldn't work!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I had a friend with a motor scooter who regularly had that problem at the traffic light nearest our apartments, when he lived across the street. His problem was that he'd often be coming home very late at night and needing to make a left turn, so even pushing the pedestrian button wouldn't work!
    A while back, I’d heard that one state passed a law allowing motorcycles to treat red lights as stop signs. I don’t know how that worked out.

I’ve also heard of cyclists laying their bikes on the ground in an attempt to trigger magnetic sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    A while back, I’d heard that one state passed a law allowing motorcycles to treat red lights as stop signs. I don’t know how that worked out.

I’ve also heard of cyclists laying their bikes on the ground in an attempt to trigger magnetic sensors.

Generally speaking, motorcyclist in NY can run red lights for a variety of reasons, including not tripping the sensor. In the driver license book it is sort of vague. I have had to do it, but never had a police officer call me out on it. It sort of sounds like you could get in trouble for trying it at an inappropriate time or place.

Most of the time it was going to work at 4 AM and work was in a place that required a left turn from either direction. The whole area is sort of annoying for any kind of traffic. Lots of dead ends, sensor lights and curvy roads. Rush hour is much worse.
    Solfe

Here in Perth there are a number of sets of traffic lights which have a marking painted on the road to show where you should ride your bike so as to trigger the lights. I know from personal experience that they work fine.

This is a cut and paste from our Main Roads Dept. FAQ's about them. -:

Bicycle markings - What are the bicycle markings on approach to traffic signal stop lines?

Bicycle markings can be seen in the centre of traffic lanes on the approach to traffic signal stop lines.

The markings consist of a bicycle and a number of diamonds and are used to help cyclists get into the best position for the detection loops at traffic signals to be triggered so that a green light will be called.

Sometimes cyclists wait in a position that the detection loops fail to recognise and when no traffic is around, the traffic signals will not change to green.

Crosswalk buttons, if present, are almost always on the "wrong" side of the road (positioned for pedestrians, not cyclists).
    Can you explain this? I don't understand.

I mean, I understand (I think) the concept of a crosswalk button being on the wrong side of the road. I just don't understand why there would "almost always" not be one on the correct side.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Pedestrians are supposed to walk facing oncoming traffic(left side). Cyclists should go with traffic (right side).

When approaching an intersection (in these suburbs), there is often a button on the left side, but not the right.
    If there is a button on the right, it is for pedestrians who want to cross in front of the bicycle’s path, not for the bike.

I think they place buttons on both sides in the city, but not in the ‘burbs.

Pedestrians are supposed to walk facing oncoming traffic(left side).
    Oh, I assumed there were sidewalks. You're not required/expected to walk against traffic when you're on a sidewalk, are you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

One of my neighborhood streets crosses busy US Highway 29 at a light. The street is narrow and has a sidewalk on only one side, with a single crosswalk on the highway aligned with the sidewalks. The pedestrian signal pushbuttons are across the street from the sidewalks and crosswalk. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Oh, I assumed there were sidewalks. You're not required/expected to walk against traffic when you're on a sidewalk, are you?
    Probably not, but sidewalks are hit or miss around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    One of my neighborhood streets crosses busy US Highway 29 at a light. The street is narrow and has a sidewalk on only one side, with a single crosswalk on the highway aligned with the sidewalks. The pedestrian signal pushbuttons are across the street from the sidewalks and crosswalk. Go figure.
    Oops! My 70-year-old brain had a senior moment. I stand corrected on the crosswalks. The intersection has a full set of crosswalks all around. I don't know what I thought I remembered. The buttons are still a problem. On the north side of the highway there are buttons on both corners, but the one on the northwest corner is hidden from the cross street by a large electrical box and some overgrown vines. I can see it from the south side of the highway. I tried to use it coming back after crossing the highway and it did not work. The one on the northeast corner works fine. What is weird here is that a timer gives us a periodic green light for crossing traffic regardless of traffic on the cross street, but the walk signal requires the button. There is no button on the southwest corner, where the sidewalk is on the cross street.

There is a potentially troublesome jurisdiction issue here. The north side of the highway is in the independent City of Falls Church while the south side, where I live, is in an unincorporated area of Fairfax County. Heaven only knows who is responsible for maintaining the signals. I would guess Virginia Department of Transportation, who maintains the highway and the county roads, but all bets are off in a boundary area like this, and there is plenty of opportunity for official dinkweasels* to pass the buck. The City of Falls Church maintains the local streets within its boundary, but I don't know about its half of the highway. The boundary runs down the middle of the highway.

*Thanks, BigDon, for that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Oops! My 70-year-old brain had a senior moment.
    Do you have any younger brains?

If so, I'd put one of them in charge...just sayin'.

So I got the blood works back three weeks ago, had long talks with the appropriate specialists and major lifestyle changes had been immediately implemented.

And in all of the hullabaloo we forgot to address my bleepidy bleeping chronic anemia!

I'm still freaking anemic by a half a million RBC's per CC. For almost three years now. But all my other blood indicators like RBC volume are now at normal or above normal. (The RBC's I do have seem to have 25% more hemoglobin than the high end of the range.) The only other oddities marked on the list are hypercalcemia and a very low "anion gap". (Which are marked as such on the paperwork. I wouldn't know myself.) I have no clue what an anion gap is and don't want to Google it as that path can lead to Crack-Pottery.

I have such a short energy budget that it's become a problem. Since I've been sitting on my butt so much my blood sugar and glycocized hemoglobin levels crept up, so I restarted my elliptical machine three weeks ago. Just doing a slow, eight minute mile every day is about all I can do and then I'm done for the day. As in not even going outside. But I have lost nine pounds in three weeks since restarting the exercises.

Broke a rib, 6th rib. I can't sleep at all, it's driving me nuts.
    Solfe

Update:

I am taking medicine with the side effects of drowsiness and irritability. I can't sleep and I am irritable. Why can't I be lucky and get the useful side effects? I'm going to hunt down my favorite blanket and maybe a cup of soup because I hate tea.

Now that I am irritable and overtired, I should write an ode to hating tea.
    Solfe