Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3395

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Now that I am irritable and overtired...
    ...It’s the perfect time to head on over to the ATM or Conspiracy Theories forum and post that pet theory.

In all seriousness, I wish you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    ...It’s the perfect time to head on over to the ATM or Conspiracy Theories forum and post that pet theory.

In all seriousness, I wish you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I did sleep and I am feeling better than last night.

I expect great results with my ATM theory. I anticipate some great breakthroughs in weaponizing calculus books, to make them as sharp as a lightsabre. Some of our members will have dual edged calculus books, something like Darth Maul's sabre. The battle will be epic, but sort of anticlimactic, like the duel in The Last Jedi.
    Solfe

Broke a rib, 6th rib. I can't sleep at all, it's driving me nuts.
    How'd you do that?

Get better soon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    How'd you do that?

Get better soon.
    Knocked down by a panicked student. It was unfortunate, I can't even be mad because he was spooked by a chaotic situation and loud noises.
    Solfe

Ribs are the only bones I've broken in my life so far. Unfortunately, I've broken four, in three separate accidents. I managed to keep leading life as normal when I had the singleton fractures, but when I had two broken ribs, one on each side, I had to throw my hands in the air (very gently), admit defeat, and mope around the house for a week.
    No fun, your broken rib. Especially if you develop a cough.

Grant Hutchison

Solfe, Doc, I've only ever broken two bones. A metacarpal and most annoyingly of all, my coccyx.

Never break your coccyx. All the pain of a broken bone and NONE of the sympathy. Even from doctors.

Couldn't go to school for almost three weeks. If you were standing, or even sitting it wasn't bad. But the transition from sitting to standing, or vis versa was incredibly painful and it would take two or three minutes and dozens of false starts to go from sitting to standing.

My coccyx was broken in a bike race. Took a sharp turn at speed while standing on the pedals and during the turn the bike fishtailed and the rear wheel slid into a pothole and then bounced up sharply, causing the tip of the seat to break my tailbone.

Took me out of the race then and there, I tell you true.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

My wife broke her coccyx about two weeks before her wedding*. Her wedding dress had a corset like bodice that went down to her lower back and it nearly killed her.

How did she break it? She was packing to move into our apartment and she decided to slide down the stairs on a blanket like a little kid. When she was a little girl, her parents had carpet at the bottom of the stairs. Several year before this incident, they put in tile. There is quite a difference in padding between the two.

I managed to break several bones: both lower arms (two different times), lower left leg, upper right, all of my fingers several times, my nose (not a bone), an ear (also not a bone), a broken toe a couple of months ago and 5 ribs counting this one.

Some tips from the first time a broke a rib. If you think you have broken a rib and you had a piece of something sticking out of your side, DO NOT PULL IT OUT! Item one: whatever is embedded in your side is likely holding the wound closed. Item two: the thing sticking out of your side might be a rib. They don't come out like that. Don't even try, I know this because I did. I can only describe the sensation as "bad-don't-lights-out".

*There were horses, a limo, a quartet, a fire and smoke, and I woke up in Disney World. I was there, but I have little idea as what was happening and why. So, her wedding.
    Solfe

Ah, I forgot that I broke my coccyx when I was a student. I don't really think of that as a broken bone, for some reason - it occupies the same storage area in my memory as the chipped iliac crest and the crushed terminal phalanx of my left middle finger, both of which I suppose would also count as broken bones, after a fashion.

Anyway, I was walking down a wet tiled staircase, carrying a tray of beers with a tray of shots balance on top (as you do). My feet slipped, and suddenly I was in free fall with the toes of my Nature Treks sticking up into my line of vision on the far side of the trays. I had time to think, "This is going to be messy," and then I was sitting four stairs farther down, wearing ten pints of beer, four single malts, five Tequila Sunrises (hey, it was the 70s), one rum and Coke, a small quantity of broken glass and an agonized expression. Receiving a round of applause from the onlookers.

(They sent me back to the bar to get the round in again, obviously.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jun-12 at 03:38 PM.

I managed to break several bones: both lower arms (two different times), lower left leg, upper right, all of my fingers several times, my nose (not a bone), an ear (also not a bone), a broken toe a couple of months ago and 5 ribs counting this one.
    That's ... remarkable.
    Your X-rays would get you screened for domestic abuse, where I used to work.

Grant Hutchison

Stupid broken rib story: I broke one by leaning over the arm of an office chair to pick up a piece of paper from the floor.

Twice.

They said I broke some ribs when I fell off the roof. I didn't notice, since they had me on the "good" stuff.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Oh, I've got one I've meant to post for days now.

There is a serious "cancer cluster" up and around the city of Ukiah. And people are suspecting it's their taps. I wish somebody could take a look at this.

My sister is a nurse on the surgical ward at a local hospital. She and a lot of her co-workers on their second or third cancers. Not bout of cancer returning, entirely new cancers! Sis says she's never seen this before.

Sis survived melanoma and kidney cancer. (Both caught early, the kidney cancer found while looking for possible mets from the melanoma.) She only needed half a kidney removed to treat her kidney cancer.

After a married couple of physicians both developed a second cancer, the talk in the break room there is full of people moving out of the area.

Running away doesn't seem like a very scientific approach though.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's ... remarkable.
    Your X-rays would get you screened for domestic abuse, where I used to work.

Grant Hutchison
    The time I broke rib and had it sticking out of me did get me screened for abuse. I stepped on to plastic chair and the legs collapsed. I landed on a wooden footlocker. I had particle board slivers all over me, which sort of explains why I though my rib was debris to be pulled out. My parents had to come get me at the hospital, after an very long interview process, they let us leave.

The arm injuries were street hockey and ice skating injuries. Both from running into someone else and then falling hard. One leg was a bad fall down icy stairs at school. The other leg was an very unfortunate choice to ride a broom down a hill on black ice. My friends and I were having a blast sliding down the street and jumping into a snow bank at the bottom at 3 am. In theory, the broom was for control. On my last run, I jumped into the snow and found the fire hydrant under the snow. I had a bruise that covered most of my backside from my ankle to the middle of the small of my back.

I broke most of my fingers by running over them with a sled with runners. Dislocated my pinky and ring fingers on both hands in addition to the breaks. I was fairly amazed that I had any fingers at all, then the pain hit. I vaguely remember each step of treatment in a room lit by a single exam lamp, complete with a dream-like watery haze. That was the worst.
    Solfe

The time I broke rib and had it sticking out of me did get me screened for abuse. I stepped on to plastic chair and the legs collapsed. I landed on a wooden footlocker. I had particle board slivers all over me, which sort of explains why I though my rib was debris to be pulled out. My parents had to come get me at the hospital, after an very long interview process, they let us leave.
    I knew a person who tried to convince me that a chair similar to that was safer then a ladder used to look thru the eye piece on a telescope.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I omitted one funny, but un-family-friendly story were I said something smart to a guy and he threw my down a flight of stairs. I broke my leg hitting the ground at the bottom landing and my arm going through the door.

I'll try to clean it up. (I think I've told this before.)

The gist of it was, I met a girl who actually lived next door to me. My big play to ask her out was to bring her breakfast in bed. It worked. After months of dating, it became expedient to exchange keys. Months later, she seemed very unhappy about something she wouldn't talk about, so I decided that it would be a good idea to bring her breakfast in bed again. Cheer her up and all that. Plus, I brought two plates because I intended to stay.

She had a roommate with a guy friend that need to be asked to leave every few days. On the morning I brought my girlfriend breakfast, I heard yelling and screaming. As I used my key to let myself in, the screaming took on a strange tone: "Its like you don't want to get married!" I opened the door and found my girlfriend arguing with some guy. Apparently, the fiancé. Everyone was stunned into silence, but I recovered first and served them breakfast on the couch. They sat there in dead silence as I got milk and juice from the fridge and put on a pot of coffee and tea.

On my way out the door, I tucked the tray under my arm and turned back to say something like James Bond. Ah, I'm nothing like James Bond, so I said something else. Nevermind what it was, this was the point where this guy grabbed me and threw me down the stairs. Surprisingly, I managed to knock him down, hard and ran away, broken bones not withstanding.

Now for the amusing part. My "girlfriend" panicked during all of this. She ran down the back stairs, down the driveway and out on to the sidewalk just time to help me limp away. She was clutching a plate of two eggs, 3 strips of bacon and a stack of pancakes. We hobbled up stairs to my apartment before the other guy recovered enough to come looking for me, her or whatever. The police arrived a short time later, and finding no evidence of anything wrong, asked him to leave. We ate pancakes as the show played out.

My choices and taste in people is rather dubious, even out right strange. But for months afterwards I basked in the glory of a rather strange ritual. Every person she introduced me to, friends, family and coworkers, mouthed the words "Breakfast Boy?*", to which she would proudly nod. They would shake my hand in awe.

It didn't work out for a great number of annoying reasons. But it makes a great story.

*Her dad called me "Breakfast Boy" and shook my hand first. So, I was pretty proud.
    Solfe

Once, long ago, I hauled a kitchen chair out to our porch to reach and change an outdoor light bulb. The chair came apart and dumped me in slow motion (or so it seemed) down these stone steps. I smacked one forearm badly on a stone corner and landed atop it, and at first glance thought it was broken as an angle appeared in the middle of it. No, it was only a deep dent in the skin and muscle. Much of the arm turned various shades of blue, purple and black for a week or so.

However, it must have healed nicely ... I can't even remember which arm that was.

Some years ago, I simply forgot that we had a step in front of our door, a step I'd gone up and down literally thousands of times at that point. Sprained my ankle. Right before Ren faire, too--the reason I'd been going out there was to pile up the stuff I was bringing, before my ride got there.

After much consideration, I still went. You see, it was Graham's One Weekend A Month for the Reserves, so he wasn't going to be home. Which means spending the weekend alone with a sprained ankle, as the person I would ordinarily have been able to count on to be my support was, in fact, my ride to faire. She was going to be at faire, so I went. Besides, I could get medical attention there, and indeed as soon as we got there, all the medical people gathered around to check me out. I was able to sit with an elevated ankle all weekend with people doing most of my running for me, which was considerably better than doing it all for myself.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have to eat soft food for a week and rub tiger balm on the sides of my head because my jaw muscles are so tense I have ear pains.

But the doctor said there’s nothing about my ears that would make it any more difficult to fly out for the excavation I’m supposed to join once that week is up.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I have to eat soft food for a week and rub tiger balm on the sides of my head because my jaw muscles are so tense I have ear pains.

But the doctor said there’s nothing about my ears that would make it any more difficult to fly out for the excavation I’m supposed to join once that week is up.
    Aah, good old Tiger Balm. We always have some at home and it goes in our medicine kit on all our travels. I hope that it works as well as normal for you and your flight goes ok. (The Tiger Balm Gardens (Haw Par Villa) in Singapore have been restored and are still fun to visit - and still free.)

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Aah, good old Tiger Balm. We always have some at home and it goes in our medicine kit on all our travels. I hope that it works as well as normal for you and your flight goes ok. (The Tiger Balm Gardens (Haw Par Villa) in Singapore have been restored and are still fun to visit - and still free.)
    It seems to be working on my jaw, but unfortunately some got on the edge of my blanket while I was asleep and then fell over my eye, leading me to wake up with my right eye burning. Fortunately a wet towel seemed to solve that.

Ozduck, I went to Tiger Balm Gardens back in the late 70's.

Miss Kai, where are you going?

My new son-in-law is a noted field archeologist who's also going on an excavation in the same time frame! (And if you say France or Ireland I'm going to squeal, as he's supervising digs in both places.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Ozduck, I went to Tiger Balm Gardens back in the late 70's.

Miss Kai, where are you going?

My new son-in-law is a noted field archeologist who's also going on an excavation in the same time frame! (And if you say France or Ireland I'm going to squeal, as he's supervising digs in both places.)
    Turkey, but my mentor will be on another project in Ireland for a few weeks before she joins us.

Ask her if she knows a Colin Jarramillo.

Though even Colin says you can spend weeks on a dig with someone and never learn their last names.

And be careful in Turkey.

Are you going to be out of touch the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I have to eat soft food for a week and rub tiger balm on the sides of my head ...
    That's interesting. Had you tried a topical non-steroidal already, or did you just go straight for the Tiger Balm?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    And be careful in Turkey.

Are you going to be out of touch the whole time?
    No, I think we’ll have WiFi, but like my other digs I may be too tired to post except on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's interesting. Had you tried a topical non-steroidal already, or did you just go straight for the Tiger Balm?

Grant Hutchison
    At my Mom’s suggestion, I used the VaporRub-on-cotton-ball earache treatment for a day and a half and I think it did help, but I went to the doctor in case it was something serious that could prevent me from traveling and he prescribed Advil, soft foods, and Tiger Balm.

Smashed my car this morning. Right where the big puddles (rain) often are at the bottom of the ramp to the second floor of the parking building, there was in fact a big puddle of petrol or diesel.

The car didn't slow down nor turn when I expected, and I just had to watch the wall approach. Will add a picture tonight.

Even the car park guy who came had wheels lock up when parking, and spin when trying to move be again.

I motioned people to slow down, while he broomed absorbent stuff all over the spill.

My airbags didn't deploy so not too bad, but if I'd been on the bike I'm sure I'd have broken bones.

So very very glad no pedestrian was in the doorway I slammed into. Someone could have been very hurt.

Car has been towed. Insurance has been called. Now I wait. The damage isn't huge but the rising cost of repairs may meet the sinking value of my car and there's a chance itd be written off.

And I forgot both of my alarms yesterday so was late. At the usual time I'd have missed the spill.

And it's my ex wife's birthday. Can't help thinking "curse!".

P.S. if you've seen "Ghost in the Shell" - you've seen this car park.

Edit: Add pics. Only showing part of the cleanup. The trail of oil or whatever was quite long. Getting more and more freaked out by the idea a person could have been in that doorway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avensis1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	23411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avensis2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	23412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avensis4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	23413  
    Last edited by pzkpfw; Yesterday at 03:46 AM. Reason: Add pics
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Glad you survived, I guess you might be as tough as tank.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Have you ever dealt with people who probably are smart in one small area but don't know much outside their are of knowledge. Like the holes dug around windows in a basement are called window wells, I actually was made fun of because I called a window well a window well. Or if you bug someone the night before a mid term the night before a midterm it might effect your results on the midterm, That american aircraft carriers are generally named after Presidents.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Glad you survived, I guess you might be as tough as tank.
    Thanks. Funnily enough I'm OK, but the actual armored fighting vehicle ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avensis3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	23414  
    Last edited by pzkpfw; Yesterday at 03:50 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

The important thing is that you are ok and I hope you are feeling less frazzled. I can see why you were freaked out by what happened to the doorway - all sorts of unhappy possibilities come to mind.

I hope that you are mobile again soon - maybe you need to upgrade to a PZKW IV. Your insurance company and the parking garages' insurance company might be having some interesting discussions as well as.