Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3613

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Whenever I phoned my physician's office, I was invariably asked "Can I put you on hold, please?" They got back to me later on, usually. Don't know what would have happened had I refused the hold: probably the same thing!
    I had a friend who would do that. When asked, "Can I put you on hold?" he would say, "No. I need to know how to <blah>."

I don't wear that kind of casual indifference, especially toward someone whom I'm expecting to serve me in some capacity. If someone did that to me, I'd be seething, so all I can picture is the other person seething at me.

Of course, in the few times I've had to do so, I didn't ask to put anyone on hold for no reason--it was because I was helping someone else first, so refusing to be put on hold is their way of saying, "Move me to the front of the line because I can push buttons on my calling box thingie."

I've got one from the other side.

We were going to eat at the local Noodles & Co. the other day. We walked up to the counter, and the man working the counter was busy boxing up some orders, standing with his back to us. He did turn and look over his shoulder at us when we walked up, but did not stop what he was doing to serve us. That in itself isn't bad.

But then the phone (which was on the counter between us and him) rang. At that point he stopped what he was doing, turned around (now facing us), picked up the phone, and began helping the person who had called, continuing to leave us just standing there. He had not, as of yet, given us even a single word of greeting.

We decided then to just leave and go somewhere else, where they might actually be interested in taking our money.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    We decided then to just leave and go somewhere else, where they might actually be interested in taking our money.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shut_up_and_take_my_money[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	23633
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Oh, that's a pet peeve of mine.

"Sure, sir. Stop paying attention to me and rush to pick up that ringing phone, then move the caller to the front of the line. Because, after all, the caller pushed ten buttons, whereas all I did was drive to your location, walk inside, and begin to engage in negotiation with you, so naturally they get priority."

I heard another anecdote (perhaps apocryphal). A fast-food restaurant had a line of people waiting to place an order to either dine in or carry out. The clerk taking the orders kept having to drop everything and pick up the phone, upon which the caller would place an order to pick up later.

One of the people waiting in line whipped out his cellphone, called the restaurant that he was standing in, and said to the clerk, "Hi, I've been standing in line for ten minutes watching you give phone callers first priority. How'z about you put me on hold until you take my Dine-In order so that I can get my food and go?"
    Last edited by jamesabrown; 2018-Oct-10 at 06:15 PM.

I have the same problem with drug stores that have drive-up windows. They always seem to give the car waiting at the window priority over the people waiting at the counter. I've waiting while several cars are processed, though at least at the drug store I go to most frequently, they will at least say "Hi" or "I'll be right with you" and acknowledge your existence.

I've had experiences like SeanF, and walked out of a place. I recall doing that with my wife at a restaurants where we were ignored for too long.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have the direct telephone number that my internet provider's technicians also use to get their in-house technical support. That way, I can skip the entire automated menu and waiting time. Also, there are paths from the automated menu that lead you to the same person, so he's not surprised when a private customer rather than a technician rings him.

Yes, I'm evil. But I only need it like once every five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I recall doing that with my wife at a restaurants where we were ignored for too long.
    Ooh, that, too, just a few months ago. The hostess seated us, and I think we waited about 15 minutes, by which time the waitstaff hadn't even come by to bring water or take our drink order. As we walked out, a family eating at a nearby table said something along the lines of, "We were wondering how long you would wait..."
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Sorry, not my table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sorry, not my table.
    I've heard that, but to me, that is a badly run restaurant. I don't blame the waiter if that is their policy, but that's not a good customer experience.

One of the most well run restaurants that I've been to is a little hole-in-the-wall diner that my wife and I go to for breakfast on Sunday. You never hear that excuse. The person that seats you also takes the drink order and gives you menus (and any of the wait staff can seat customers). The only reason your coffee cup isn't full is because you didn't want any more; various people are always circling asking you need a refill. You have a problem with your order, you can ask any of the wait staff; they either take care of it or they get the boss pronto. I watched one time when a lady at a neighboring table didn't like how her eggs were cooked - they offered to redo the order (she turned them down), the head cook in the kitchen came out to apologize, and they took it off her bill without her even asking for that.

And the place is packed on Sunday (the food is also very good).

Good service, whether it is a restaurant, a store, or a call-center, comes from the top down.

Wait and cook staff in restaurants is a nontrivial subject in my family, because my sister has a severely anaphylactic food allergy, and has been to the ER more than once because someone didn't listen to her well or vet her order properly.

Dining out is never a casual thing for her. It can literally be life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sorry, not my table.

So you get the person who's table it IS. Or a manager. That sounds like a terrible restaurant I wouldn't want to return to and never recommend. But I would guess a waitperson with such an attitude doesn't care about that either.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

As you may have seen, we are having a new house built. (Yeah, I know I'm way behind on posting to that thread.) According to the builder's schedule, we are to receive the keys six days from now, and be able to move in the next day. Accordingly, we've scheduled multiple deliveries and installations within a few days after that. Stuff like The Fridge, The Laundry Machines, The Bed, The Cable, etc. Note capitalization, because I'm trying to restrain myself. To me, it would be ALL CAPS BOLD RED!

The builder is, to put it mildly, behind. This isn't Joe Schmoe the carpenter, it's a high-end custom builder. And haven't done pretty much anything in the past week, other than having their excavating contractor dig up the septic system in our existing house (50 feet west of the new one), say "Aw, crappe!" and leave in a hurry. It wasn't the excavating guys' fault, it was bad design I've been trying to point out for about six months now.

And then there's my wife. I love her dearly, but she keeps buying stuff for the new house that we're just going to have to move again in a week. Or three.

It'll all be fine in the end. I just have to keep telling myself that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Tonight I was listening to a podcast and found out there are people who steal things left at grave sites to sell the items as haunted items.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Tonight I was listening to a podcast and found out there are people who steal things left at grave sites to sell the items as haunted items.
    I have... acquaintances who are into the ghost-hunting thing, running around in private and public cemeteries in the middle of the night with tape recorders and cameras, and it drives me !!**#$^$@&^*$ nuts.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I have... acquaintances who are into the ghost-hunting thing, running around in private and public cemeteries in the middle of the night with tape recorders and cameras, and it drives me !!**#$^$@&^*$ nuts.
    Most of the cemeteries around here are in the woods, more likely to run into moose, bear, coyote and squirrel then a ghost.

We've just had the most terrible scare. We've spent the last 12 hours moving stuff into the new house ( next to the old one) and when we finally came back one of our indoor cats was missing. We were terrified she'd gotten out. And she had.
    After the fruitless search indoors I went out with a flashlight and eventually she heard me calling and came to me. So relieved. Could have been much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We've just had the most terrible scare. We've spent the last 12 hours moving stuff into the new house ( next to the old one) and when we finally came back one of our indoor cats was missing. We were terrified she'd gotten out. And she had.
    After the fruitless search indoors I went out with a flashlight and eventually she heard me calling and came to me. So relieved. Could have been much worse.
    Glad the cat came back.

Glad that it got back in and your move went well.

Glad that it got back in and your move went well.
    We moved a ton of stuff. And have about 40 tons left.

We moved a ton of stuff. And have about 40 tons left.
    Been there and do about every month, I feel for you.

Most of the cemeteries around here are in the woods, more likely to run into moose, bear, coyote and squirrel then a ghost.
    What about a tick? That would be the primary worry in these parts.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There probably are ticks there also may a couple of tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Worst ever Scooby-Doo episode.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Having had a cat that liked to escape, and had no clue what to do once out there, I can appreciate the fear. My blood pressure jumped 10 points just thinking about it.

We've had a couple of cats that climbed very tall oak trees without an exit strategy.

I had a doctor appointment this morning and was complimented on my blood pressure. Good thing they aren't taking it now....

About 10 days ago, we had the cable company out to install in our new house. They couldn't make it work, and we had to have another tech the next day. He got one TV going but forgot to activate the box for the additional one. We didn't know that because we hadn't moved it in yet. And our router, at least according to them, is broken.
    A couple of days later the phone company was due. If you recall, we are on a combined lot running between two streets. All of our utilities were put in running up from the original street. The phone company installer flat refused to connect it that way.
    So, we went out to the cable company office and upgraded our service, ordering better TV, better internet, and getting the phone through them. That was to be installed today.
    Then we finally moved in and brought the second TV up. Oops, box not activated. Called them. After a significant period on hold I was told they couldn't do that without rescheduling our installation. No, don't do that.
    I also called the phone company and told them NOT to come out and dig up the new street because are considering our options. Maybe that was a mistake....

Fast forward to today. Cable install scheduled between 12:00 and 2:00. 2:30 came and no installer. I called them and managed to find an automated voice which confirmed our installation on November 7, a week out. What?! I tried to reach a real person but they just don't answer. So I drove out to the local office again. The VERY helpful young lady there (they're all young compared to me) first confirmed that she had set it up for today. And spent a goodly amount of time trying to figure out what happened. Best she could tell, the phone company put a hold on the number because they had an installation pending. That would be the installation they refused to do. Or maybe it was because I called them...

Even if the problem was due to the phone company, why didn't the cable company notify me of the change?

Anyhow, it's not been a good day, mostly. I'm dining on dry red wine. I'll probably grill a cheese, because I need some comfort food.

I am so glad that I don't have to deal with that stuff. I pay for my cell phone bill.

The last time I had to deal with a phone bill and such was in college, a couple of years I went without a phone. But one year I shared one with a guy from NS and two from Brazil. It was fairly simple to figure out whose was whose.

A few years back, when we moved our phone to the cable company, the phone company “inadvertently” canceled the release of the phone number before the cable company took possession.

I’m convinced they did this on purpose to make the cable company look bad by forcing them to postpone the activation.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

It seems that there is an International Agreed Standard for phone/cable companies - give as poor a service as possible.

One of my daughters works for my phone company so I've decided to try not to complain about them anymore...