Page 107 of 114 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3395

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have over the years reported some videos on YouTube, the kind that are pretending to do "Science" as an excuse to blow things up, because they were doing truly horribly, dangerous things, that even if they didn't kill themselves, someone else would trying to copy them.
    I have filmed a lot of things that I thought would be funny. Dropping sodium in water, making a 1x1x10 foot wave tank and sending gallons of water out a 4th story window by tipping it at the right moment, or even launching a rocket indoors. Yes, it's funny but uploading them knowing how dangerous they are is really bad.

Forget the rocket, the other two were much worse. (The rocket burst and the motor hit me in the neck. So believe me when I say the other two are worse.) Sodium doesn't always look spectacular. It could be contaminated due to exposure to air or the oil that it is packed in can stick or gum up on the surface and slow things down. That delay could cost someone fingers, eyes, a whole face. Even tossing water out the window could level someone below or drag a body out the window. It doesn't act like you'd expect. It shattered some rubber safety cones, the tank recoiled back into the room. Both were surprising.
    Solfe

I just spotted the “new” Mythbusters on the channel guide...

They are testing a dynamite crossbow and how to shoot from the hip. I think I’ll pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have filmed a lot of things that I thought would be funny. Dropping sodium in water, making a 1x1x10 foot wave tank and sending gallons of water out a 4th story window by tipping it at the right moment, or even launching a rocket indoors. Yes, it's funny but uploading them knowing how dangerous they are is really bad.

Forget the rocket, the other two were much worse. (The rocket burst and the motor hit me in the neck. So believe me when I say the other two are worse.) Sodium doesn't always look spectacular. It could be contaminated due to exposure to air or the oil that it is packed in can stick or gum up on the surface and slow things down. That delay could cost someone fingers, eyes, a whole face. Even tossing water out the window could level someone below or drag a body out the window. It doesn't act like you'd expect. It shattered some rubber safety cones, the tank recoiled back into the room. Both were surprising.
    Ken Roy, who is a lab safety expert who formerly worked for one of the Connecticut school systems and now consults (https://sites.google.com/site/nation...ltantsllc/home) has consulted for several law suits involving sodium, including one where several spectators were blinded by somebody dumping a large quantity of sodium into a pond. Apparently, the original plan was to float the sodium into the middle of a pond in a little boat, and sink the boat in the middle. The boat sank about 2 feet from shore.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I remember that one. They released a mouse from under a fake dung and the elephant turned right back. It was likely more concerned about moving dung that the mouse, however.
    They tested moving dung sans mouse -- no reaction.

I really wish they would have revisited that one; it occurred to me that it might not have been strictly the mouse, but the whiteness of the mouse that got the reaction. White mice aren't exactly common in Nature. Would wild elephants react the same way to gray/brown mice, or a golf ball?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Ken Roy, who is a lab safety expert who formerly worked for one of the Connecticut school systems and now consults (https://sites.google.com/site/nation...ltantsllc/home) has consulted for several law suits involving sodium, including one where several spectators were blinded by somebody dumping a large quantity of sodium into a pond. Apparently, the original plan was to float the sodium into the middle of a pond in a little boat, and sink the boat in the middle. The boat sank about 2 feet from shore.
    Omg. The coffee pot picture on that site. There´s a coffee grinder in the foreground, but what the heck is all that stuff in the background? Wow! This coffee tastes like almonds...
    Solfe

I just got an e-mail from our school district telling us how they're protecting our kids in case of an active shooter situation. I'm glad they're taking the steps; it is definitely non-trivial that they need to be taken. And that they feel the concern will be long-lasting enough to factor it into the school's construction on retrofitting.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I just got an e-mail from our school district telling us how they're protecting our kids in case of an active shooter situation. I'm glad they're taking the steps; it is definitely non-trivial that they need to be taken. And that they feel the concern will be long-lasting enough to factor it into the school's construction on retrofitting.
    I was interviewing for a teaching position on the day of the Sandy Hook shooting. I think every school within about 30 miles of Sandy Hook went on lock down. The police weren't sure that it wasn't a larger plan.

I also taught in an inner city school for a while. One of the students asked me if I was afraid of working there after all those school shootings. I said nope; you guys have better morals than that. Given where the school massacres have been happening, I think I'd rather teach in Chicago or Detroit than some tony suburb in Colorado.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2018-Feb-27 at 03:01 AM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I think on the SGU podcast one of the hosts knew a person who walked to the school during the shooting, they realized something was going on and didn't go in.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    ... than some tony suburb in Colorado.
    What's a tony suburb? Never heard that term.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    What's a tony suburb? Never heard that term.
    Expensive and full of McMansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Omg. The coffee pot picture on that site. There´s a coffee grinder in the foreground, but what the heck is all that stuff in the background? Wow! This coffee tastes like almonds...

“You do realize that’s the blender we use for fecal transplants.”

" EEEEWWWWWWWW..............! Don't go there...."

I am annoyed at myself for having neglected to do the monthly treatments with drain cleaner to prevent clogged drains. Two days ago my kitchen drain stopped up, and when the dishwasher discharged into it, the resulting backup in the adjoining sink looked as if someone had puked in the sink.

The news is tormenting the gullible again with "the *new* Russian ICBM's are completely unstoppable! I wouldn't have said anything about it except the news is getting incrementally more shrill about it every week they get ignored about it.

News flash Nimrods, *everybody's* long range ICBM's are unstoppable! New, old, imaginary, it doesn't matter. Launch more than one at the same target in a surprise attack and you will have overwhelmed the most sophisticated defense system of your choice.

If we could knock out obsolete designs at will, North Korea having ICBM's wouldn't be a problem now, would it?

On the other hand I did learn of the amusing flaw in the Russian Iskandar system. (Conventionally armed ICBM's for battle field use. The Russians replaced their attack aircraft squadrons with short range ICBMs. Manned aircraft are viewed as having little chance against American air defenses.)

The flaw being when you have a projectile weighing upwards of a ton and travelling in excess of Mach 7 and you *miss*, the projectile keeps going for a long, long distance.

In one case they missed the target by three entire *countries*! With warshot! (They're using them in Syria.) And the Russian ambassador to the country it did land in had to do some 'splaining!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Hearing words like allegations, Boys and Girls Club of nearby city on the radio first thing in the morning. For mw thankfully it wasn't in my town but close enough. horrible for who ever is going thru it.
    http://www.thetide.ca/news/731190890...gations?page=1
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-06 at 05:14 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

I think the computer scammers called back.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Plus right now I have to play starve an internet troll.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Every once and a while the bad chemicals build up in the brain, the ones that me depressed and anxious and such. The last t build up was a day ago, the worst thing that happened was I unfriended a bunch of people and cleared out a twitter account that probably was going to dropped anyway. Now waiting to see who will refriend me on facebook, getting rid of some would be good anyway.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Yesterday was a series of trivial events that just built up. The kids' dentist told me that Irene's insurance was inactive. I didn't get the work done that I wanted. Simon was home sick.

Then at about 2:15, Graham called and asked when my physical therapy was--5:00. "Okay," he said. "The truck broke down, but I should be home by 4:30." A bit later, he called and said, "Chances are slim that I will be there in time." I messaged my best friend--I knew it was last minute, but was she busy? She got back to me around 4:15 and said that, yes, she would be over as soon as she could. Which was about 4:50, 4:55 or so. It's about a ten-minute drive; naturally, every light the whole drive was red, and someone pulled out in front of me because they apparently had only been looking to their right before making a left-hand turn and missed me coming up on their left. Physical therapy ended up being mostly "soft-tissue work," because my insurance won't pay for any more appointments this year and I was in a lot of pain. When I got home, I found out why Graham was so late, as we got home at almost the same time. (He gets off work at three.) Turns out, yes, the truck broke down. Then the customer they were supposed to deliver to insisted that they deliver the washing machine anyway. So their manager got out his personal pick-up truck and helped them deliver it, without the necessary tools.

Just a very long day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Every once and a while the bad chemicals build up in the brain, the ones that me depressed and anxious and such. The last t build up was a day ago, the worst thing that happened was I unfriended a bunch of people and cleared out a twitter account that probably was going to dropped anyway. Now waiting to see who will refriend me on facebook, getting rid of some would be good anyway.
    Th joy of rebuilding a twitter account, now under a new user name of BackroadAstro.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Walked away from the computer after basically transcribing a web page into a word processor and then windows restarted doing an update. thankfully the word processor has auto save but I had a reaction for a second.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Insomnia, Insomnia, what I need is a the snow to go away and I can do some physical stuff outdoors to get tired.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Our 14 year-old dog has been diagnosed with Cutaneous Lymphoma, which is rare in dogs, and has a poor prognosis.

Sorry to hear that.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Insomnia, Insomnia, what I need is a the snow to go away and I can do some physical stuff outdoors to get tired.
    Grabbed a few hours now trying to stay up as long as I can realign to normal sleep times.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our 14 year-old dog has been diagnosed with Cutaneous Lymphoma, which is rare in dogs, and has a poor prognosis.

Yes, sorry to hear that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Not good. Here's hoping your dog proves the exception.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My dog and I thank you all.

My brother and I wanted to go hiking today, but my smartphone was a brick when I woke up and plugging it in to charge only caused it to restart over and over again endlessly, so I called the technical support office of the manufacturer and spent four hours trying to reset it only for nothing to work. We realized that it must be a hardware problem and I would have to bring it to the store tomorrow, which would be no problem, except that when my Dad came home and we told him, he said he didn't want to go to the store and spent two more hours on the phone with technical support, trying everything I had and getting very angry.

In the end we spent all day on the phone with technical support and didn't go anywhere.

At one point of life I could make the cahge in sleep schedules a lot better.
    Don't Panic THGTTG