Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 3430

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I figure if I tried it clothed, you´d get wet. If you tried it naked, someone would ring the doorbell.
    You've gotta take a shower sometime, don't you? Anyhow, our doorbell doesn't work.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If you tried it naked, someone would ring the doorbell.
    It's liberating when you get to the point of not answering the doorbell or the phone if you're busy doing something else. Life goes so much more smoothly.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Or answer the door naked. They won't bother you again.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's liberating when you get to the point of not answering the doorbell or the phone if you're busy doing something else. Life goes so much more smoothly.

Grant Hutchison
    It took me a while to train myself at work never to answer the phone when I was talking about business to a real person at my desk. Voicemail helped with that, of course.

One of the simple pleasures of living in country you can disappear from phones, internet and doorbells very easily, just take a walk in the woods and forget your cell phone. You were knocking at my door I was 2 kliometers away in the woods trying not to fall into swamp.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It's all a moot point, since I am actually supposed to be giving her medication, not just water.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Is Irene feeling any better?

Now I kind of reminded myself of a story. In the era before cell phones back in 199 something. It was march break and I decided to go back in woods and do some exploring. At times I didn't go down forgot some of the paths. There are two tractor paths/roads on either side of the property that I knew went all down to back and a third in the middle that went down the middle I did not where it went. I went to end of the path and there was trees and some ice on the ground. I though I could get to the hill on the other side by jumping from tree root to tree root and just ended up going around in a circle and ended up on the same side I started on. After getting to the house and getting dry my grand father calls, he says he was out looking for me and I told him where I was. Then he told me I shouldn't of been down there in that area because it was a bottomless bog, he measured with a metal rod to eight feet and couldn't find the bottom.

eta somehow how my I was thinking root and type route.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Feb-11 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I used to be a meter reader. You´d be surprised at how often that happened.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Is Irene feeling any better?
    She is, yes. She's no longer drippy all the time, and her lungs sound better.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ
    I used to be a meter reader. You´d be surprised at how often that happened.
    I've seen a film about that.
    Oh wait. That was a plumber's mate.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

No, it was the cable guy.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Feb-12 at 06:04 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've seen a film about that.
    Oh wait. That was a plumber's mate.

Grant Hutchison
    My personal favorite statement on the lack of clothing was: ¨What? It´s hot.¨
    Solfe

What rank is he shooting for Miss Gillian?

I knew a man in the service, back in the early 80's who, never busted, was separated two months before his twenty years because he was still an E-5. Just so he couldn't claim retirement.

Utter horse poop if you ask me. Complete and utter.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

The best officer I met in my brief Army "career" was a captain who was being RIF'd (Reduction in force) because he'd been in nineteen years and was only a captain. The fact that he'd been an NCO for the first 12-15 years not only didn't help but probably worked against him in that culture. They were begrudgingly allowing him to go back to being an E-7 for a year so he could get his 20 before retiring as a Captain.

One of my Facebook friends is forwarding around instructions to make different types of bottle bombs, then cautioning people not to pick up random bottles. She seems very concerned that one of the plastic bottles she comes across as litter might be one of these things.

Yeah... yeah, I reported the post. I really can't believe that someone would forward instructions like that. She seems to be missing the point of the thing she is sharing. Warnings are warnings, not full instructions on how to do something.
    Solfe

That I won't be able to see my niece play basketball because in her last game a another girl ran into her and dislocated or broke a bone in of her figures yesterday at a game.

Also yesterday, during the auction I helped a couple put a bed in the car but forgot to put the rails for the bed in their car. The company found their number and called them but the live on an island. The rails are safely on a locked truck in legion parking lot.The truck ins staying because there is another auction next saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    What rank is he shooting for Miss Gillian?
    Sergeant of some sort; I don't know what level. My dad finished his days in the Air Force as a tech sergeant, though.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I knew a man in the service, back in the early 80's who, never busted, was separated two months before his twenty years because he was still an E-5. Just so he couldn't claim retirement.

Utter horse poop if you ask me. Complete and utter.
    That sounds both harsh and odd...to these retired USAF ears, anyway. I have no clue about other services but back then, high year of tenure for a USAF E-5 (SSgt) was 20 years on the button. They later revised HYT so E-5s can only serve 15 years. E-6 punches your ticket for 20 and as an E-7, I could have served 24.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

One of my Facebook friends is forwarding around instructions to make different types of bottle bombs, then cautioning people not to pick up random bottles. She seems very concerned that one of the plastic bottles she comes across as litter might be one of these things.

Yeah... yeah, I reported the post. I really can't believe that someone would forward instructions like that. She seems to be missing the point of the thing she is sharing. Warnings are warnings, not full instructions on how to do something.
    I have over the years reported some videos on YouTube, the kind that are pretending to do "Science" as an excuse to blow things up, because they were doing truly horribly, dangerous things, that even if they didn't kill themselves, someone else would trying to copy them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have over the years reported some videos on YouTube, the kind that are pretending to do "Science" as an excuse to blow things up, because they were doing truly horribly, dangerous things, that even if they didn't kill themselves, someone else would trying to copy them.
    You mean, like Mythbusters?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Actually, going all explosions, all the time is why I lost interest in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Actually, going all explosions, all the time is why I lost interest in the show.

Same here. I loved when they did some simple interesting stuff in the shop. Polishing a poo, for instance.

Some of their best didn’t include a kaboom. For example, “Are elephants afraid of mice?”

Well, the elephants grab Yosemite Sam and slam him onto the mice.......over and over and over and over ......etc.

Some of their best didn’t include a kaboom. For example, “Are elephants afraid of mice?”

I remember that one. They released a mouse from under a fake dung and the elephant turned right back. It was likely more concerned about moving dung that the mouse, however.

I kind of lost interest when they added machine guns.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I kind of lost interest when they added machine guns.
    That too.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    That I won't be able to see my niece play basketball because in her last game a another girl ran into her and dislocated or broke a bone in of her figures yesterday at a game.
    Just a chipped bone, finger has to in splint for a while but should heal fine.