Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 2932

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

That there is a pond on our property that at times is 4-5 feet deep now is a puddle.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Have had this new computer (HP Windows 10) for 6 days. Have worked 3 days on it. Has already become familiar.

And now, for the 2nd day in a row, a vital company software application has inexplicably "gone kaput."

Tech yesterday pointed out that icon "is instead a blank blue square." But after reinstall, and throughout today, an icon is present/still there while the application is again "kaput."

I'm willing to learn how to re-install to avoid hassle of returning & replacing this computer.

A different (paired with above) software application also "went kaput" yesterday, but today is still 100% present & working.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Sep-22 at 09:41 PM.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

The project I'm on now has some extremely high value intellectual property involved (which is all I can say ... :shh: ). To view this, I need special software. IT installed it but I still couldn't get access. After several days of trying things, including uninstalling and reinstalling, IT change my access point to a server in Las Vegas.

And it worked.

Of course, it did. This is secret information I'm viewing and we all know what happens in Vegas ...
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

In grocery checkout lane yesterday. Cashier asks how I am. I reply, ask in return. She replied, "I'm blessed."

Well that's great. But what about all the many, many people who aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    In grocery checkout lane yesterday. Cashier asks how I am. I reply, ask in return. She replied, "I'm blessed."

Well that's great. But what about all the many, many people who aren't?
    That makes no sense. You asked how she was, not how other people were. Normally such exchanges aren't meant as the start of a spiritual or philosophical debate.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    That makes no sense. You asked how she was, not how other people were. Normally such exchanges aren't meant as the start of a spiritual or philosophical debate.

CJSF
    I simply find it distasteful when people say "I'm blessed" while many others are currently suffering as a result of violent earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. It seems like gloating. Maybe it's NOT gloating, but it's "poor form" imo.

I simply find it distasteful when people say "I'm blessed" while many others are currently suffering as a result of violent earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. It seems like gloating. Maybe it's NOT gloating, but it's "poor form" imo.
    In my experience, people who say they are blessed are doing so specifically because they are aware that many people are less fortunate than they are. That's what makes them feel blessed.

Grant Hutchison

What if she said, "Fine", with so many people not "Fine"? If you have issues with religion, say so (I believe you can, without going into infractionable areas or details). Just because it has a religious or faith-based spin doesn't make it any more "gloating" if someone were to say, "I'm great!" because maybe something REALLY COOL is going on in their life - while horrors are ongoing, as they always are.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In my experience, people who say they are blessed are doing so specifically because they are aware that many people are less fortunate than they are. That's what makes them feel blessed.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, this too.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

To paraphrase (or butcher) a lawyers' maxim: if you're not prepared to accept the answer, you probably shouldn't ask the question. I know most of us expect a banal pleasantry in response but sometimes, we get more than we bargained for. Best to roll with it and get on with our day.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    If you have issues with religion, say so (I believe you can, without going into infractionable areas or details).
    Actually, no...and bad advice, to boot. Rule 12 provides no general exception for voicing one's issues with religion. In fact, that's one of the things that the rule is meant to prohibit.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ok, I apologize for that. I thought just saying " I felt uncomfortable with the religious/faith angle" was ok. Got it, thanks.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

I don't know what it's like in the US (I suspect very different) but in the UK if someone says "I'm blessed" it doesn't necessarily have any religious implications. It's shorthand for, "I'm aware that I'm freakishly lucky to be enjoying my current state, and long may it continue."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    To paraphrase (or butcher) a lawyers' maxim: if you're not prepared to accept the answer, you probably shouldn't ask the question. I know most of us expect a banal pleasantry in response but sometimes, we get more than we bargained for. Best to roll with it and get on with our day.
    My wife once visited a dentist when we worked in Canada, and asked him how he was as she sat down in the chair.
    "I'm good." He said. "I'm so good I'm almost dangerous."
    She got out of the chair and found herself another dentist.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I know most of us expect a banal pleasantry in response but sometimes, we get more than we bargained for.
    Like these poor Jersey guys:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igh6A0qFS14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I don't know what it's like in the US (I suspect very different) but in the UK if someone says "I'm blessed" it doesn't necessarily have any religious implications. It's shorthand for, "I'm aware that I'm freakishly lucky to be enjoying my current state, and long may it continue."
    Possible but not, in my experience, likely here.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Grant Hutchison
    Here it usually has religious implications. We're a very religious country, if participation is counted over variety.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

This is probably trivial on the "big picture" side of things, but I'm quite upset anyhow.

Tomorrow is setup day for the Pumpkin Pitch. That means today is "load the truck" day. I was going to hit that early, right after exercising, before going to town to get my wife her lattes. Except her doctor wanted her to get some tests, so instead we both went a bit earlier. I also had to fuel her car and pick up some prescriptions. All of that needed to get done anyhow so it's fine.

Then we got home. She picked up the remote and tried to change the TV channel and everything froze up. After playing with the remote a bit I unplugged the cable box to restart it. It didn't. After several tries, it still didn't and I called the cable company. They couldn't get it to go either. And MIGHT be able to get us a technician on Saturday. It's Thursday. I won't be here on Saturday. I don't like having people come out when only my wife is home. And she's pretty dependent on her TV. The only option was to unhook the box and take it to the local office (at least they HAVE a local office) and get another one. Ok, did that. It didn't work. I had to call them again so they could send it a signal to wake up. It's working now, but all the stuff we had on the DVR is gone forever. As is three or four hours of time I intended to use getting properly ready for tomorrow.

The truck is loaded, except for personal stuff I'll need since I have to stay over, but due to the rush and frustrated state of mind I'm likely to have forgotten something important. And I'm beat.

First World Problems, of course.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I just found out I am prediabetic. Still early stages & treatable. Put on metformin. I'm being sent to a dietician and will take a class on what to do.

Bad timing, with all the stuff my family is already going through now.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2017-Sep-30 at 09:40 AM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

/I should have taken typing class in high school more seriously, a lot less typos and spelling mistakes.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I just found out I am prediabetic. Still early stages & treatable. Put on metformin. I'm being sent to a dietician and will take a class on what to do.

Follow there advice and try to avoid ot as much as you can.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Do EVERYTHING the doctor tells you. Pre-, early, treatable...

Good luck.

Have you had on those days were you should of just stayed home. This afternoon went in to get some gas for the lawn mower and wood splitter, some gas for the bbq and some snacks. Trying to get out of the driveway I dinged and scratched my mothers new car, nothing major told her and went into town. When in the grocery store ran into a person I worked with at there and found out another coworker passed away a couple of years ago.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Have you had on those days were you should of just stayed home. This afternoon went in to get some gas for the lawn mower and wood splitter, some gas for the bbq and some snacks. Trying to get out of the driveway I dinged and scratched my mothers new car, nothing major told her and went into town. When in the grocery store ran into a person I worked with at there and found out another coworker passed away a couple of years ago.
    Yes. Some days aren't diamonds.

I went straight to diabetic. I had suddenly started craving lots and lots of fruit juice, and was getting really tired. Someone else recognised the symptoms; I had no idea.
    Formerly Frog march..............

“One is never alone with a rubber duck.” The Golgafrinchan Ark B captain

I had no symptoms at all, but my late onset type 2 diabetes was picked up in routine blood work as part of an annual physical. My glucose level after an overnight fast was about 150 when it should have been about 100. The doctor did three chemically different tests on consecutive days to rule out the possibility of a false alarm. That has been going on 7 years, and it is fairly well controlled with metformin, plenty of exercise and not eating too much carbs all at once. So far, no heart, eye or foot problems. My word to the wise for senior citizens like myself is to see a primary care doctor for regular checkups including annual blood work.

I know that the research on benfotiamine is incomplete, but I'm not sure if there is any harm in diabetics taking it. I told my doctor I was taking it and he just said 'good'.
    Formerly Frog march..............

“One is never alone with a rubber duck.” The Golgafrinchan Ark B captain

Really hate to complain, especially considering all the "current events" troubling this world, but...

...just now received word from supervisor that a limit is being placed on my workload ($$) because of ___ (rather complex to explain).

How ironic, in that just this morning I'd wondered when I'd be taken OFF new-employee oversight. Thought I was doing really well (lack of company feedback).

SIGH.

Very chagrining.

There are options. I will explore them!

My (ex)Wife moved out to a flash new apartment she now rents. I was left in the house, and as much as she says she'll help, I get prime responsibility for getting the house fixed-up to sell (so we can split whatever equity we get out of it).

Our house (which I only agreed to buy 7 years ago to try make her happy; I had misgivings about it then) was built at the start of the N.Z "leaky home" crisis, and does indeed have a couple of the dumb features in use at the time. (Direct fix cladding, a deck-over-living, and metal fascia enclosed gutters).

Last weekend I was cleaning the outside of the house, and right at the bottom of the tallest part of the house (it's a 2 story house, but this bit is where it goes out over a slope so there's a kind of basement making it 3 story) found that where concrete steps have been built very close to the house (in an area we almost never go to), a build up of leaves (no lawn near here, trees) between the steps and house * has caused some rot in the cladding. Just a very small patch right at the bottom - but it's affected the bottom of the studs right in that corner.

(* yes, my maintenance was slack here; the marriage had an effect on that too ... but still, the design and build of the house/steps didn't help).

It's a tricky thing to fix, partly due to the great big lump of concrete of the steps next to it. It's a fairly important part of the house, and has to be done right, but may result in any builder I employ being legally obligated to report my house as "leaky", resulting in much trouble trying to sell it.

So, like many people in N.Z., I'm the sucker stuck with a house with problems; and the building material suppliers, the architect, the house builder, and the council inspector who signed off on the house when it was originally built don't end up with any responsibility.

(Actually there is a class-action lawsuit against the cladding supplier about to start, and there is a Government "assistance" thing for the leaky homes, but I'm not sure I want to sign up to either as they could reject my issues as "maintenance", and I'm still left with an officially notified leaky house.)

Feeling pretty stressed.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Feeling pretty stressed.
    That stinks. Those are the parts of home ownership I always dread. I wish I had some constructive answers.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

(no pun intended ... :-) )
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.