Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 3011

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

That my situation in life is not really based on logic but a series of untrue facts otherwise know as gossip and rumors. Dealing with people who don' t check their facts or understand things that go on in the mind.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm in the process of moving, and is scary how many cans of beans and tomatoes etc I have accumulated, literally boxes and boxes....Would a goat eat that sort of thing? I guess a pig would eat anything. I'm going to ask my dad if he knows anyone with a goat or a pig....I really hate throwing food away, unless it has really gone off.
    Formerly Frog march..............

She was only a farmer's daughter, but she was outstanding in her field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    I'm in the process of moving, and is scary how many cans of beans and tomatoes etc I have accumulated, literally boxes and boxes....Would a goat eat that sort of thing? I guess a pig would eat anything. I'm going to ask my dad if he knows anyone with a goat or a pig....I really hate throwing food away, unless it has really gone off.
    Is there a way you can take hem with you?
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I'm not moving that far(half a mile). Maybe all the boxes can go to my dad's place.....until we can find a pig.

You may want to check on the latest end of the world predictions before making a decision. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    You may want to check on the latest end of the world predictions before making a decision. ;-)

yes, that was always on my mind. Enough food to last until most people had killed each other..

If the food is still good (I think a lot of canned food has a shelf life of years), you might consider donating them to a local food bank.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'm in the process of moving, and is scary how many cans of beans and tomatoes etc I have accumulated, literally boxes and boxes....
    How does that happen? Do you have some large storeroom that you consistently forget to look at when you write a shopping list?
    We couldn't accumulate more than a couple of cans of beans without noticing every time we opened the cupboard.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If the food is still good (I think a lot of canned food has a shelf life of years), you might consider donating them to a local food bank.
    Unless the cans are swollen or noticeably damaged the food is very likely still edible.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    How does that happen? Do you have some large storeroom that you consistently forget to look at when you write a shopping list?
    We couldn't accumulate more than a couple of cans of beans without noticing every time we opened the cupboard.

Grant Hutchison
    I go through phases with foods, and shop on line so I sometimes end up buying too much and then going off a food. If I shopped in a real shop I would only buy what I was planning to use. I think I will stick to baked beans in future, which I will I will always get around to using.

I might use these beans to make vegetable soup....when I get around to it.....it wasn't really all beans, I went through a phase when I was eating a lot of noodles, and then suddenly stopped..but I will use them......

A friend of mine was expressing fear and concern about his current financial situation yesterday in the online space where we met, which is usually warm and friendly and supportive. He also posted a link to his Patreon in the midst of discussion about jobs he can take and how to better decide what belongings he can sell to pay for his antidepressants and so forth. And some fairly new guy said, "Oh, I see how it is. All this was a way to beg strangers on the internet for money. Why don't you grow up and get a job?"

There's a lot wrong with that. I do actually agree that right now is not the time for my friend to be picky about the jobs he takes; he graduated four months ago with an MA and doesn't want to have to work at Starbucks, but if he has to, it pays the bills while he's looking for something better. But I also know that he's been applying for jobs consistently the last four months and not even getting interviews. He's frustrated about it, and who can blame him? And he only has the Patreon because I messaged him and suggested putting one together--after he'd started the thread. So "begging strangers for money" couldn't have been the point. And even if all that weren't true, the other guy was incredibly rude, and frankly anyone who thinks it's trivially easy to find a job hasn't looked for one lately.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The exponential increase in bickering that seems to have occurred over the last four or five years on social media. Remember when Facebook was a fun place, like nine years ago, and not a pool of caustic, flaky insanity?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    The exponential increase in bickering that seems to have occurred over the last four or five years on social media. Remember when Facebook was a fun place, like nine years ago, and not a pool of caustic, flaky insanity?
    Most of people who I am friends with on facebook are people I know in real life or know online for a while. So maybe I am in my little bubble so I don't really see much of that.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Most of people who I am friends with on facebook are people I know in real life or know online for a while. So maybe I am in my little bubble so I don't really see much of that.
    Most of the people I'm friends with on there are my friends from RL. I've had to unfriend the worst of them, most of them friends from college (which clearly failed them, intellectually) praising the rioters that throw rocks at cops, the weirdos that are offended at 50 different things each day, and other such fashionable insanity.

I still see more positivity than not, and I'm a member of a group with over 2000 people in it. (Only a couple hundred regularly post.) I'm even a member of a political discussion group that remains fairly polite. But even well-moderated places (and those groups are connected and have a strong moderation policy) have to let you do something before you're banned. Actually, we routinely have the "Corner of Happiness," the "Pit of Despair [or similar]," and compliments threads, where you tag a bunch of people while saying something nice about them. That's part of why this rudeness made me so mad; I expect better from that group.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A friend of mine was expressing fear and concern about his current financial situation yesterday in the online space where we met, which is usually warm and friendly and supportive. He also posted a link to his Patreon in the midst of discussion about jobs he can take and how to better decide what belongings he can sell to pay for his antidepressants and so forth. And some fairly new guy said, "Oh, I see how it is. All this was a way to beg strangers on the internet for money. Why don't you grow up and get a job?"

There's a lot wrong with that. I do actually agree that right now is not the time for my friend to be picky about the jobs he takes; he graduated four months ago with an MA and doesn't want to have to work at Starbucks, but if he has to, it pays the bills while he's looking for something better. But I also know that he's been applying for jobs consistently the last four months and not even getting interviews. He's frustrated about it, and who can blame him? And he only has the Patreon because I messaged him and suggested putting one together--after he'd started the thread. So "begging strangers for money" couldn't have been the point. And even if all that weren't true, the other guy was incredibly rude, and frankly anyone who thinks it's trivially easy to find a job hasn't looked for one lately.
    Would your friend possibly consider seeking an apprenticeship in the building trades? I know it would seem like starting over and perhaps menial for someone who just got a master's degree, but there is a labor shortage in those fields. Try Googling "this old house apprenticeship program" and see some words of wisdom from the "This Old House" team in greater Boston. Similar programs may be going on all over the country.

Most of the people I'm friends with on there are my friends from RL. I've had to unfriend the worst of them, most of them friends from college (which clearly failed them, intellectually) praising the rioters that throw rocks at cops, the weirdos that are offended at 50 different things each day, and other such fashionable insanity.
    Speaking as a former police officer some cops deserve to have rocks thrown at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Speaking as a former police officer some cops deserve to have rocks thrown at them.
    And that's just socially.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Would your friend possibly consider seeking an apprenticeship in the building trades? I know it would seem like starting over and perhaps menial for someone who just got a master's degree, but there is a labor shortage in those fields. Try Googling "this old house apprenticeship program" and see some words of wisdom from the "This Old House" team in greater Boston. Similar programs may be going on all over the country.
    I don't know; I'll certainly ask. He had a job interview for a part time job yesterday, but he's kind of despondent that he hasn't heard back yet. He may have some depression issues that are being exacerbated by the search.

And some things are offensive and are only just now being pushed back against. Frankly, I'd rather have it fashionable to be offended by bigotry than continue to let it slide.

"You can't erase icing."

And some things are offensive and are only just now being pushed back against. Frankly, I'd rather have it fashionable to be offended by bigotry than continue to let it slide.
    I may be wrong, but I suspect "not letting bigotry slide" is (at least in part) what Heid the Ba' post was about.
    It's certainly what mine was about.

Grant Hutchison

I'm afraid you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about legitimate grievances like police brutality and anti-homosexual sentiment, I'm talking about legitimately loony offense-taking like (this really happened, and was the final straw) being vocally offended that The Forest (a really crappy horror movie) didn't star a Japanese woman in the lead instead of Natalie Dormer, and that non-Indian people do yoga (cultural appropriation*!). *If I felt like engaging with insanity, I'd have pointed out that they were writing their hyperventilating rant using the Latin alphabet, and that they use Arabic numerals every time they tap on their phone or do math.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This is probably trivial on the "big picture" side of things, but I'm quite upset anyhow.

Tomorrow is setup day for the Pumpkin Pitch. That means today is "load the truck" day. I was going to hit that early, right after exercising, before going to town to get my wife her lattes. Except her doctor wanted her to get some tests, so instead we both went a bit earlier. I also had to fuel her car and pick up some prescriptions. All of that needed to get done anyhow so it's fine.

Then we got home. She picked up the remote and tried to change the TV channel and everything froze up. After playing with the remote a bit I unplugged the cable box to restart it. It didn't. After several tries, it still didn't and I called the cable company. They couldn't get it to go either. And MIGHT be able to get us a technician on Saturday. It's Thursday. I won't be here on Saturday. I don't like having people come out when only my wife is home. And she's pretty dependent on her TV. The only option was to unhook the box and take it to the local office (at least they HAVE a local office) and get another one. Ok, did that. It didn't work. I had to call them again so they could send it a signal to wake up. It's working now, but all the stuff we had on the DVR is gone forever. As is three or four hours of time I intended to use getting properly ready for tomorrow.

The truck is loaded, except for personal stuff I'll need since I have to stay over, but due to the rush and frustrated state of mind I'm likely to have forgotten something important. And I'm beat.

First World Problems, of course.
    In the silver linings department, the old cable box/DVR had an annoying habit of playing the sound around 1/2 second behind the picture. I just realized the new one isn't doing that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In the silver linings department, the old cable box/DVR had an annoying habit of playing the sound around 1/2 second behind the picture. I just realized the new one isn't doing that.
    Were you playing it through an AV receiver?

Grant Hutchison

I'm afraid you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about legitimate grievances like police brutality and anti-homosexual sentiment, I'm talking about legitimately loony offense-taking like (this really happened, and was the final straw) being vocally offended that The Forest (a really crappy horror movie) didn't star a Japanese woman in the lead instead of Natalie Dormer, and that non-Indian people do yoga (cultural appropriation*!). *If I felt like engaging with insanity, I'd have pointed out that they were writing their hyperventilating rant using the Latin alphabet, and that they use Arabic numerals every time they tap on their phone or do math.
    If they throw stones at the police over the casting of a horror film or who does yoga, then yes, I'm on your side. Otherwise, no, I didn't misunderstand your earlier post.
    Last edited by Heid the Ba'; 2017-Oct-08 at 09:13 PM.

If they throw stones at the police over the casting of a horror film or who does yoga, then yes, I'm on your side. Otherwise, no, I didn't misunderstand your earlier post.
    I fear I'm now losing track of who's misunderstanding whom. Wasn't SkepticJ addressing Gillianren?

Grant Hutchison

Yes s/he was, but since I was the one who picked up on his/her unfriending of people who think there are circumstances where resisting the police is acceptable I thought I would point out that I can't see how I misunderstood her/his post. I can't read it any other way than there are two groups being unfriended, those who support rioters, and those offended fifty times a day.

Maybe I'm crazy, but unless cops are actively attacking you when you've done nothing wrong, it's probably a really bad idea to try to hurt them with flying bricks and worse. Especially if they're just trying to stop a riot. Not a peaceful protest, a riot. 64 people died in the '92 L.A. riots because one man was brutally beaten to death, that's lunacy.

Maybe I'm crazy, but unless cops are actively attacking you when you've done nothing wrong, it's probably a really bad idea to try to hurt them with flying bricks and worse. Especially if they're just trying to stop a riot. Not a peaceful protest, a riot. 64 people died in the '92 L.A. riots because one man was brutally beaten to death, that's lunacy.
    Rodney King wasn't beaten to death. That makes the deaths during the riot even worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

In other potentially non-trivial matters, a mystery transaction has been charged to my checking account debt card.

It is small, and not disruptive to my finances, but a bigger one could wreak havoc. Fortunately, I spotted it before the transition even cleared, and the bank is working with me.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I may be wrong, but I suspect "not letting bigotry slide" is (at least in part) what Heid the Ba' post was about.
    It's certainly what mine was about.
    Yes; my post was supposed to be supportive of his, not contradictory.

"You can't erase icing."