Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 3011

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    I've had some rather........... surreal conversations in these days (plural, both for day and conversation..... the thing is going on since Monday)

"Are you willing to take a 5 hours trip to show your face to the customer and babble for a couple hours of useless things and then make the reverse trip the same day ? Oh, if things go well you'll probably have to relocate there for two or three weeks."
    "I'm not interested in the project, I'm not willing to waste (at least) 10 hours of my time on train for something that can be done remotely (Skype anyone ?) and I can't leave for extended periods. So it's no".
    "Ok, I'm telling the customer that you're in, prepare to leave at the drop of a hat."

"Annoyed" is a gentle euphemism.....
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Mine wasn't as life-altering. IT called saying they couldn't get a license for the latest version of a particular piece of software for a new workstation. Software I am unlikely to ever use. To purchase that version, they need to use a corporate credit card, but for various bureaucratic reasons, they don't have access to that. So would it be OK if they gave me previous version? I said, well, just don't deploy it, as it isn't crucial to my work, and in the future if it comes up that I do, we'll get it squared away then. She then repeated that they couuuuld put the previous version instead and upgrade later. I gave in, and said, OK, sure. "Great! I just have the previous version put on!" Well, if that's what you ffffflipping wanted, WHY DID YOU ASK ME?

(Yeah, I know, there are probably policies in her department she was following. BUT STILL!)

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post
    I've had some rather........... surreal conversations in these days (plural, both for day and conversation..... the thing is going on since Monday)

"Are you willing to take a 5 hours trip to show your face to the customer and babble for a couple hours of useless things and then make the reverse trip the same day ? Oh, if things go well you'll probably have to relocate there for two or three weeks."
    "I'm not interested in the project, I'm not willing to waste (at least) 10 hours of my time on train for something that can be done remotely (Skype anyone ?) and I can't leave for extended periods. So it's no".
    "Ok, I'm telling the customer that you're in, prepare to leave at the drop of a hat."

"Annoyed" is a gentle euphemism.....
    Stiil not knowing when the hat will drop (annoying as hell since all the ticket buying/reservation/trip planning is on me ) , and to add insult to injury the weeks of potential relocation magically became four instead of two.....
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

My own absent-mindness at times. I had a dandy this morning. When breaking an egg to scramble it, I dropped the insides of the egg down the garbage disposal instead of into the intended bowl alongside the sink. I had let my mind be distracted by thinking about an electrical project I am working on at the club model railroad. This was nontrivial, and I was bugged and amused at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    when you hear emergency vehicles, it could be anything from a major pileup or someone's burnt their toast at the retirement home.
    Some years ago we had four fire trucks - including a ladder truck - visit our neighborhood to put out a fire. I found out later it was someone's stovetop. Must have been a slow day.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Some years ago we had four fire trucks - including a ladder truck - visit our neighborhood to put out a fire. I found out later it was someone's stovetop. Must have been a slow day.
    Not really. Cooking fires can be scary quick. They often aren't forgiving enough for you to show up with two trucks only to find out you needed four.

"In 2011-2015, United States fire departments responded to an average of 170,200 home* structure fires that involved cooking equipment per year. These fires caused an average of 510 civilian fire deaths, 5,470 civilian fire injuries, and $1.2 billion in direct property damage per year." [NFPA Fact Sheet]
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Not really. Cooking fires can be scary quick. They often aren't forgiving enough for you to show up with two trucks only to find out you needed four.
    House fires (referred to as “structure fire” by the radio dispatcher) get serious attention from our volunteer fire departments. They frequently send every truck available, and turn them back if not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

when I said 'burnt toast', I just meant it set the building's smoke alarm off...no real fire, no real danger....I heard an item on the radio years ago about how elderly people weren't eating ehough, and I wondered whether it was because they were too frightened to cook anything......well it was just a thought.
    Formerly Frog march..............

“Burnt toast” type calls are pretty common, but the fire dept doesn’t really know for sure until they get there.

That’s why I’d often see fire trucks zoom down my street, only to see them returning a few minutes later (sans sirens). One truck crew stays at the scene to explain the benefits of crumb removal, while the others turn around.

I lost most of my hearing for about 2 weeks due to ear infections. It's still in the process of returning.

I got to set foot in the world of hearing loss for a while. It isolated me, cut me off from most communication. Definitely an attention getter.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Friday my BIL came and got his wood splitter and today he went to use it and not a drop of hydraulic fluid, i notice a little leak when using a couple of months ago but five gallons worth of leak.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I walked a total of about 15 km last weekend, then another several this past weekend, plus craning my neck, contorting myself and lugging camera and optical gear, plus about 12 hours of driving total for both weekends (not including driving to and from work during the week in between). I lugged a 30 pound bucket of cat litter last night while shopping.

Then I bend over to pick up my shoe and wrench my back so bad I have to walk like a penguin. At least it isn't spasming this time (yet). But owie ow ow ow.

Sure, all that work probably contributed, but it always seems to be the one easy thing I do that about kills me.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

"We need to get this intermittent fault that makes my car sometimes randomly not start fixed; I don't want to have to take one of the kids to the ER and find out that I can't get there."

"Hi, this is Garfield Elementary. We need you to come pick up Simon; he has a fever of 99.9 and we think he has an ear infection."

[car won't start]

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Seems I might be contacting a lawyer for the first time ever.

Was supposed to receive 2 weeks' worth of pay on Friday (via PayPal) from a company I'm contracted with. Got notice of money due Friday...but still no deposit as of mid-day Sunday. Should have received it already.

Person in charge and I had a mild "falling out" awhile back (said person LIKES TO YELL IN E-MAIL EXCHANGES!!); I asked that she please stop yelling in e-mails.

Since then refusal to reply to queries. Now my "pay is late."

So tomorrow (Monday) I'll politely inquire. If still no reply or pay via PayPal, I'll contact a lawyer.

Really need the hassle and so close to the holidays.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Dec-03 at 05:12 PM.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "We need to get this intermittent fault that makes my car sometimes randomly not start fixed; I don't want to have to take one of the kids to the ER and find out that I can't get there."

"Hi, this is Garfield Elementary. We need you to come pick up Simon; he has a fever of 99.9 and we think he has an ear infection."

[car won't start]
    As an engineer, I spent a lot of time troubleshooting. Intermittent faults are the absolute worst.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

[car won't start]
    Some years ago, I brought my car in for diagnosis. They interfaced it to the computer and read the trouble codes.
    Told me all was fine. Well, okay, but yesterday it wouldn't start.
    Basically, they told me that I had to bring it in when it wouldn't start, not when it was driveable. Don't know how I was supposed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Some years ago, I brought my car in for diagnosis. They interfaced it to the computer and read the trouble codes.
    Told me all was fine. Well, okay, but yesterday it wouldn't start.
    Basically, they told me that I had to bring it in when it wouldn't start, not when it was driveable. Don't know how I was supposed to do that.
    I had the same thing with my car. After years of intermittent hassle, and the dealer able to do nothing at servicing time, I booked it in to a local auto electrician to just "have a look".

The morning I was supposed to take it in, it wouldn't start. So how to take it to them?

Luckily I suspected a component (the alarm; a sticky relay) and banged it with a lump of wood. Car started!

Took it to the auto electrician and said "please get the alarm out of the starter circuit". They were suspicious, so also pulled the brushes off the starter motor and replaced (which I didn't mind as the car's at an age where stuff like that is good prevention), but also got the alarm out of the stater circuit; no more hassles.

So my advice to Gillianren - open the bonnet and bang things with wood.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

In my case, the auto repair place recommended a treatment that would clean out the carbon build-up in my car's fuel system. I told them I'd consider it. This led to more insanity.

A few days later, I phoned the place to schedule a carbon cleaning. now, it happens that this particular garage specialized in cleaning automobile carpets, i.e., carpet cleaning.

On the phone, no matter how I prefaced my remarks, no matter how carefully I pronounced "carbon cleaning," the dunce at the phone would immediately say "Lemme switch ya to the carpet people ..." and in a millisecond, I got switched. I had to hang up and start again. And again. "Now, listen carefully: it was recommended that I ... blah, blah, blah ... so, what I want is blah blah blah BLAH .. ." But once I had to mention carbon, I got switched over to carpets.

Rather than let these clowns near my car again, I skipped the carbon cleaning, and was no worse for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

Was supposed to receive 2 weeks' worth of pay on Friday (via PayPal) from a company I'm contracted with. Got notice of money due Friday...but still no deposit as of mid-day Sunday. Should have received it already.
    I've never heard of companies paying contract employees via PayPal, but maybe I'm behind the times.
    Good, luck. I hope it doesn't cost you too much for the laywer's services.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Seems I might be contacting a lawyer for the first time ever.

Person in charge and I had a mild "falling out" awhile back (said person LIKES TO YELL IN E-MAIL EXCHANGES!!); I asked that she please stop yelling in e-mails.

Since then refusal to reply to queries. Now my "pay is late."

So tomorrow (Monday) I'll politely inquire. If still no reply or pay via PayPal, I'll contact a lawyer.

Really need the hassle and so close to the holidays.
    Depending on the amount you may be able to file a claim in your local magistrates court without a lawyer. Filing the claim might be enough to get the message across if you can’t escalate around the person who’s acting as the bottleneck.

ETA: here’s how it works in Georgia but your state may have other wrinkles.

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...gistrate-court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I lost most of my hearing for about 2 weeks due to ear infections. It's still in the process of returning.

I got to set foot in the world of hearing loss for a while. It isolated me, cut me off from most communication. Definitely an attention getter.
    That's not annoying, that is downright scary. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    In my case, the auto repair place recommended a treatment that would clean out the carbon build-up in my car's fuel system. I told them I'd consider it. This led to more insanity.

A few days later, I phoned the place to schedule a carbon cleaning. now, it happens that this particular garage specialized in cleaning automobile carpets, i.e., carpet cleaning.

On the phone, no matter how I prefaced my remarks, no matter how carefully I pronounced "carbon cleaning," the dunce at the phone would immediately say "Lemme switch ya to the carpet people ..." and in a millisecond, I got switched. I had to hang up and start again. And again. "Now, listen carefully: it was recommended that I ... blah, blah, blah ... so, what I want is blah blah blah BLAH .. ." But once I had to mention carbon, I got switched over to carpets.

Rather than let these clowns near my car again, I skipped the carbon cleaning, and was no worse for doing so.
    It appears that the person who can't tell carbon from carpet is either incompetent or a jerk or both, and the head honcho is remiss for tolerating such misconduct.

As someone who will typically receive 30 - 40 emails per day, I have finally reached the point where I will ignore a piece of writing if the originator either cannot spell or use basic grammar. Life is too short to try and interpret the meaning of correspondence, simply because the author is too lazy, stupid or uninterested to get their meaning across.

I may get a reputation as a grumpy old man, but I am quite comfortable now responding to a peeved "You didn't answer my email" with "No, because it was illegible and I couldn't be bothered trying to work out what you were prattling on about."

My apologies - just needed to vent. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    My apologies - just needed to vent.
    No worries, I’m pretty sure that’s why this thread exists.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    ... but I am quite comfortable now responding to a peeved "You didn't answer my email" with "No, because it was illegible and I couldn't be bothered trying to work out what you were prattling on about."
    Along similar lines, there was a Congressman some years back who would often respond to crank mail by sending the writer a response along the lines of, "I think you should be aware that someone is writing the most ridiculous things and signing your name to them."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Last night, when I left the fabric store, the car wouldn't start. It's the first time it wouldn't start somewhere not home. Today, I take it to get the battery replaced, which everyone but Graham seems to agree will fix it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Last night, when I left the fabric store, the car wouldn't start. It's the first time it wouldn't start somewhere not home. Today, I take it to get the battery replaced, which everyone but Graham seems to agree will fix it.
    If I may offer a suggestion, check around with your local or chain auto parts stores. Some of them are very happy to drop a battery in your car for free and recycle the old one on the spot. It is an easy job, but nothing works better than having a pro help you out. I was pleasantly surprised that my local Autozone offered me this service. What I found was that they will do it at anytime, but they only verbally offer when business is slow. Otherwise you have to ask. They also double check to make sure the battery you are buy is the correct one for your car. I found out that this causes other places to offer the exact same service. Call around and see what you can get done.

As far as being annoyed, I have a ton of final projects this week. I have thrown up my hands and told myself that it is best for me to get some sleep instead of trying to grind through as much of it as possible. I have a good bit of free time later this week, and I would in better shape if I spent some time on personal issues like chilling and sleep. I need to "switch off" instead of setting myself up for "going off" and doing something ill advised. I feel frayed at this moment and if I just take a few minutes to clean up my desk, enjoy a beverage tonight and get some good sleep, I will be in better shape tomorrow for writing.

Annoying, as I feel like I have enough energy to work, but know my heart isn't in it. Tomorrow will be better for work.

Sometimes I drive to work*. Since this involves I-95 in the New York metro area, it’s torture a normal day. The other day, I was cruising along in light, bumper-to-bumper traffic at about 6 miles/hour when I heard an approaching motorcycle doing about 50 mph, in the shoulder, going the wrong way.

* normally, I take a train. Mediocre seats, but the commute is an hour shorter

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Last night I realized I have a grade of 99%. I scored 990 points out of 1000. What gets under my skin is that I had 5 group projects and those are the only times I didn't score 100% on an assignment. I'm happy to help people, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    If I may offer a suggestion, check around with your local or chain auto parts stores. Some of them are very happy to drop a battery in your car for free and recycle the old one on the spot. It is an easy job, but nothing works better than having a pro help you out. I was pleasantly surprised that my local Autozone offered me this service. What I found was that they will do it at anytime, but they only verbally offer when business is slow. Otherwise you have to ask. They also double check to make sure the battery you are buy is the correct one for your car. I found out that this causes other places to offer the exact same service. Call around and see what you can get done.
    Well, I took it to Costco, and they told me the nearest one to have my type was Couer d'Alene, Idaho. Which was a bit far to drive, even to save $40. He suggested an auto parts store near by. So I went. I should've asked how much it would cost, because it turns out, with our AAA discount, it would've been cheaper to go to Jiffy Lube. Still, they put it in for me. Today, we'll see if that helped the problem.

"You can't erase icing."