Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123 LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3663

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

On the topic of bad repairmen, I think I already posted about the bad plumber who damaged a gas fitting while installing an expansion tank on our water heater.
    (To make space between the gas and water pipes, he twisted a gas pipe connection by hitting his wrench with a hammer, damaging a union fitting farther down the pipe)
    And then lied to his boss about coming back to my house to fix it.

It turns out he cut another corner, and instead of carrying his bucket of water that had been drained from the system, he used my ShopVac to suck the water out of the bucket and pushed it into the corner.
    A week later, I discovered a vacuum full of water and a ruined ($15) paper filter.

Oh, and did I mention that he offered to do half the work "under the table" to cheat his employer?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The growing tendency of universities to featherbed their students by insulating them from opinions that might offend them. This is not good life preparation.
    I've been out of the loop for a few weeks and just noticed this one.

I've had professors that do that to themselves. Simply don't ask questions you don't want answered. I can't really touch on anything as this is a 20th century American History class, but the professor would have a very strong opinion on something and virtually beg for rebuttal. The issue was, he didn't want that and it would grind his gears. On top of that, his rubric was not set up to handle dissent so you could do this and get an A at the same time as annoying him. If you worked him up, he would focus on the conflict instead of the rubric so you could get away with gaslighting him for a better grade.

Now from my perspective as a student, the professor should have laid down some sort of authoritative rules. Decorum, priority and all that jazz so that people wouldn't work him over too much. "Don't tell me about x", "Do not use other readings." Nope, nothing at all like that.

Eventually, I figured out a few angles on push button topics that didn't enrage him. I started to enjoy the class a lot more afterwards.
    Solfe

I had just had oh-oh thought, right now we are getting a major rainstorm that had just melted most of the snow we got last week. The town we leave near is on a river that gets the worlds highest tides and there is a full moon today.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Squirrels. In the attic. Pest control companies are investigating.

But...we’re in a townhouse in the middle of our block. It’s hard to squirrel-proof just one unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someone broke into a van belonging to a friend of my boss--and stole merchandise belonging to both of them. This is one of the people where my boss has a reciprocal deal, so they sell his stuff at events he can't make.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A week or two ago the local paper had a story about a business owner who had shut it down because of an unspecified serious health condition. This week's paper had a story about his death, in a single vehicle collision with a tree. The cause is "under investigation". Sounds like a suicide to me. I never met the gentleman but it makes me sad anyhow.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Last night there was murder and attempted suicide here in town, mom drove past the scene when to the police were going in the bunny suits. Don't see anything official but this Christmas day and all.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Woke up this morning to a message from the friend who took in my cat after we all agreed he couldn't live in the same house as children anymore. He's probably dying. I'm supposed to figure out how to go up for one last visit in the next few days. Since Graham's next day off is the first, I probably have to take the kids.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I'm sorry Gillianren.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Well, his regular vet is less panicked than the emergency vet, but apparently we're still only looking at weeks or at most months. I will probably go say my goodbyes on the first.

"You can't erase icing."

I was supposed to go up today to say goodbye, but I woke up to a message. D died shortly after three this morning. The vet called (he'd been too sick to go home), and his current owner was able to be with him when he went.

"You can't erase icing."

So sorry Gillian. It's hard losing them; they are part of the family.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Simon is also not helping, because he'd been looking forward to going up there today. A friend who moved from Olympia up to Shoreline (north of Seattle, for those who don't know), where the friend who took the cat lives, was going to watch him and Irene while I said my goodbyes, so as far as he was concerned, this meant he was going to have a fun day. That it wouldn't be fun for me hadn't really occurred to him, and that I am mourning, not just disappointed, doesn't occur to him now.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm so sorry Gillianren.

My sincere condolences, Gillian. May you meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My sympathies, Gillian.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

That’s got to be tough. We recently lost our dog to an illness, and although it was painful, we had a chance to say goodbye.

I’ve lost track of your kids ages, but what might have been a teachable moment is probably just confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this, Gillianren

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’ve lost track of your kids ages, but what might have been a teachable moment is probably just confusing.
    Simon is five and learned about death a couple of years ago, when Graham's mother died. Irene is not yet two. If we saw D more often, we might be able to teach her about death this way, but she'd actually never met him before.

"You can't erase icing."

I have moaned about my teeth before. I blame it on the fact that I was slightly too old to be helped by the fluoridation of our drinking water - not at all my own fault at of course. Anyway, one of them had been feeling a bit "odd" for a few days and then two nights ago I bit on a soft roll and - oh dear. I recognised the symptoms as being a probable root canal nerve infection and managed to get a booking with the dentist the next day. By the time I got there it was really pounding. He, unfortunately, agreed with my diagnosis. The x-ray was interesting as you could clearly see a darkened area around the tooth, the infected gum, that was not present for other teeth.

Again, from previous experience I know that these type of infections can also stop local anaesthetic from being as effective as normal. Once again I was proved right. In the end I had to have about 5 jabs in front of the tooth and 3 behind it before he began. Even then it was still not fully numb, so once he got access to the nerve he gave me 3 jabs directly into it - the first 2 did cause me to wriggle a bit. Eventually he could get down to the fun part of the root canal treatment.

Once he had finished he warned me that there was very probably some bruising etc and there would be some pain once the anaesthetic wore off. He was quite right, within about 25 minutes the pain resumed, probably even worse than before. Luckily I had some old paracetamol with codeine tablets so I took two of them. I had to go for a walk as I couldn't sit still with the pain. After about half an hour it started to ease off and I have not had to use any more pain killers since. Today it is fine with just a bit of tenderness around the puncture marks. I have 2 more sessions to go to finalise the treatment but they will be far less painful - except on my wallet.

All I was able to eat yesterday was a small banana and a few spoonfuls of muesli. The enforced fasting probably did me some good.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Oh dear you have my sympathy ozduck.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Oh dear you have my sympathy ozduck.
    Thanks - I am all fine now.The next two appointments are just to "clean" up & then seal the root canal and are not are real worry.

I just had to pay over 100 bucks out of pocket for 10 day's worth of one of my meds that's covered by Medicaid. The insurance was supposed to authorize a 90 day supply but came up short. It's the second time in a few months that something like this has happened. Scares me and enrages me.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I just had to pay over 100 bucks out of pocket for 10 day's worth of one of my meds that's covered by Medicaid. The insurance was supposed to authorize a 90 day supply but came up short. It's the second time in a few months that something like this has happened. Scares me and enrages me.
    Good wishes to you from someone who has had one or two of his critical meds suddenly become unavailable for a time. Next time it happens, everyone will hear my scream.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Our local electric utility has announced that they will be shutting off power to our area for about 4 hours on January 23 for "previously scheduled maintenance."

Who "schedules" maintenance that kills power for four hours in the depths of winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our local electric utility has announced that they will be shutting off power to our area for about 4 hours on January 23 for "previously scheduled maintenance."

Who "schedules" maintenance that kills power for four hours in the depths of winter?
    I'm going to guess it is scheduled in the sense that they need to fix something now before it fails completely and is a lot harder to get repaired. At the company I used to work at, we had our own substation (we used a lot of electricity) and a squirrel committed suicide on one of the transformers. It continued to operate (the transformer, not the squirrel), but it was on borrowed time before it failed completely. We could have waited till it failed, but by scheduling the repair we could make sure we could prepare for the power outage, and the power company could make sure they had all the parts they need, the best personnel available for the job, etc.

From the DIY thread:

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I think you’ll be impressed with the assembly process. The instructions and hardware pack have to be the clearest and best organized I’ve ever used, bar none.
    I have dyslexia and find pictorial instructions frustrating. It is surprising how many instruction sheets have images flipped left to right because the image itself lacks key visual indicators. My personal favorite is zooming in on a flat, featureless object and then showing the screws in such away that you can't determine which side they go in even if the image was correctly orientated. Move on to the next step and you realize that the screws are now blocking you from assembling the next piece. Bonus points if you can force or ignore the issue for a few more steps AND safety depends on correct assembly, like a gas grill or something that supports a great weight.
    Solfe

You may have not noticed that main Cosmoquest web page has been replaced with a temporary "stay tuned" page.

It has two links, including one for a "twitch.tv" page that includes this ominous statement:

Support CosmoQuest

After 6 years of our work, CosmoQuest finds itself without funding. We'd learned this might happen due to JWST cost over runs and changes to NASA citizen science policies. Now, just in time for Christmas, we either need to find new funding or everyone is out of work come January 1.
    I've alerted the mods, who are trying to get in touch with Pamela to see what's up. I hope CQ & this forum aren't in danger of shutting down.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Odd. When I click on Twitch it takes me to a page that says “Cosmoquest Presents Daily Space” and supporting text that speaks about live press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Odd. When I click on Twitch it takes me to a page that says “Cosmoquest Presents Daily Space” and supporting text that speaks about live press conferences.

Scroll down a little. It is on the left, below the "Daily Space" video window.