Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3074

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Awakened just now from a fraud verification call from my bank. The bookstore and the online retailer purchases were mind. Air India was not.

Also, they'll call you and shut down your card for things like this, but you can't talk to a human until business hours--and tomorrow is a holiday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Eighteen months ago I was really proud of myself for having lost over 30 pounds. I've put nearly all back on.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Eighteen months ago I was really proud of myself for having lost over 30 pounds. I've put nearly all back on.
    I know how you feel. I have had plenty of experience with "yo yo dieting" over the last 20 years - including losing more than 20kg over a year or so and then putting it back on in another year. In the last few months I have lost about 15kg, with more needed to be lost. I am more worried about this latest effort as I am getting too old, and sore, to do things like running. This is probably my last chance to get the weight off, and keep it off, on my own terms.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I know how you feel. I have had plenty of experience with "yo yo dieting" over the last 20 years - including losing more than 20kg over a year or so and then putting it back on in another year. In the last few months I have lost about 15kg, with more needed to be lost. I am more worried about this latest effort as I am getting too old, and sore, to do things like running. This is probably my last chance to get the weight off, and keep it off, on my own terms.
    i'm fighting my new label, type two diabetes, by cutting right back on carbs, avoiding therefore the insulin tolerance issue and living in ketosis at least I reach my target. I really hope to avoid the yoyo. It's working so far, and it's easy. It's boring talking about this stuff but I really recommend the low carbs route to anyone serious about being overweight.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

put all your goodies in a kSafe...and set the timer for warpdrive 8..

I started eating a lot of steamed veg at one stage and the doctor said I was doing something right after an hba1c test....trying to get back into that atm, and discovered that steamed veg is quite nice cold with mayo on it, and a bit of quiche.
    Formerly Frog march..............

She was only a farmer's daughter, but she was outstanding in her field.

My car wouldn’t start last night.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Did it get going today??? What was the trouble ?

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Did it get going today??? What was the trouble ?
    Batteryís moribund. I canít replace it this week. It started today and yesterday.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Battery’s moribund. I can’t replace it this week. It started today and yesterday.
    Can you not bring it indoors for charging?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

A few years ago, I took an oil painting class. My wife bought me a coffee cup that looked like a paint can. I thought it was cool and brought it to class. I was really enjoying my coffee until I accidentally picked up a canning jar of paint thinner laced with linseed oil and a variety of paints.

Of course I didn't sip it, but a drop got on my lip and another in my beard. I nearly scrubbed my lip off trying to make that smell go away. I ended up shaving my beard, which was the actual source of the smell. Odorless paint thinner is not exactly odorless, it is merely less obnoxious.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Can you not bring it indoors for charging?
    No. No charger, either :-(

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    No. No charger, either :-(
    I used to make a charger from an old fashioned light bulb and a diode, it's old school but it works. If currently out of diodes, or bulbs, you may have to improvise.
    sicut vis videre esto

I'm embarrassed by how hard this has hit me.

I've been keeping one goal in mind throughout my post stroke physical therapy. I wanted to go tide pooling again. Even after developing a severe acquired allergy to all things Cnidarian. I went and got an epi-pen prescription.

Now, I've had to give up:

Driving.

Dancing.

Cooking.

Aquaculture. (I was a Master Fish Breeder, according to Steinhardt Aquarium and the American Cichlid Society.)

Gardening.

So now all the places I used to go are now not only off limits, but tide pooling as I knew has been criminalized!

I kid thee not.

I've been gutted. I haven't been to PT in six weeks and my physicians are starting to miss me.

And the fools in Fish and Game don't even see the horrible mistake they've made.

If you don't let people appreciate tide pools, then after about five years all Moss Beach and Bean Hollow are are crusty rocks that smell weird when the tide goes out, why shouldn't we build a commercial pier over the top of them?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    If you don't let people appreciate tide pools, then after about five years all Moss Beach and Bean Hollow are are crusty rocks that smell weird when the tide goes out, why shouldn't we build a commercial pier over the top of them?
    That observation can be generalized to much more than tide pools.

Somewhat related, when I worked in industrial forestry, I noticed that it didn't take long for experienced field foresters who'd made the career move into development planning, to start making silly, impractical decisions, if they didn't make a point of getting out of the office regularly.

And BigDon, I'm sorry to hear about the things you've had to give up.

My wife and I both love tide pools and have actually planned a couple of vacations at least partially around them (Oregon coast for one). Hope you get to visit one soon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yesterday morning, after getting Simon on his bus, Graham and I took advantage of his day off to run errands. We were heading north on the freeway when the guy ahead of me (who had, among other things, an Infowars bumper sticker!) braked suddenly and hard for no reason I have been able to determine. I stopped in time. The woman behind us did not.

We are fine. Irene's car seat needed to be replaced, as you can't use them once the car they're in has been in a collision, but she was outgrowing this one anyway, and insurance will cover it. (One of our errands was actually Costco, so we bought the new seat while we were there.) Our car was still driveable, though it's going to need a lot of repair and will probably be considered totaled by the insurance company due to damage to its rear crumple zone. The car behind us was definitely totaled, as its front end was completely crunched in. My neck is stiff this morning, but it's working out of its stiffness with use. My back was already messed up, and I actually had physical therapy (including massage!) yesterday evening for my preexisting problems. It doesn't hurt any worse this morning than it usually does.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Sorry to hear it Gillianren at least no was hurt.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Good God Miss Gillian, is Irene alright?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Whoa! I am glad you all seem to be OK, Gillian. When my wife was rear-ended oh gosh, is it really 10 years ago?! Wow. Anyway, it took her over a year to use that same intersection again, which is near our house and to shopping - made for some interesting routes. She still limits her driving because of it, and the way the local PD treated her. :-( The policewoman on the scene was calming and professional. The policeman, on the other hand, first asked her if she was on medication. When she said [Rx med that has no relevant side-effects] he said, "Oh, damn. Not the good stuff" and proceeded to ignore her. He also took the business card that a man gave her if she needed witnesses on her behalf down the road. All that ended up not being needed, but for someone already quite suspicious of law enforcement (from where she grew up), this had done nothing to improve her opinions thereof. I never could figure out what officer it was that did that, and probably just as well. I was beyond Annoyed at him and probably would have said something stupid and caused more trouble.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Good God Miss Gillian, is Irene alright?
    Irritated at having to sit strapped in while not moving while we dealt with everything, but other than that, fine.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm glad everyone is OK Gillian. It is almost universal if you are rear-ended that the car in back will be the one guilty (failure to maintain safe distance). Hopefully the insurance covers everything and you get the car fixed or replaced very quickly.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Wow, Gillian, so sorry. Puts my stupid computer problems in perspective, that does. I expect Infowars guy simply drove off, right?

When Tom Petty died in October, it hit me harder than I expected. I am usually not affected that personally by celebrity deaths or tragedies. Since then, I learned that the month before, Charles Bradley, Jr., and the month after that, Chuck Mosely (formerly of Faith No More) also died. Faith No More (before Mosely left) was a huge musical influence for me and my best friend in High School, and I had missed of his passing, which bugs me for some reason. Charles Bradley, a late-in-coming soul performer (and former James Brown impersonator) is someone I started listening to just last year. That he died only weeks before Tom Petty, but I never heard/read about it also bugs me more than I would have thought... have I grown a soft spot for celebrity musicians in my middle age or something?

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Glad to hear that everyone is ok GIllian. In the end that is the only important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Irritated at having to sit strapped in while not moving while we dealt with everything, but other than that, fine.
    Good to hear.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Wow, Gillian, so sorry. Puts my stupid computer problems in perspective, that does. I expect Infowars guy simply drove off, right?
    Yup. Later that afternoon, as we were driving home, we spotted the car at an intersection. I took a picture to make me feel better, mostly to show people the collection of odious bumper stickers. Pretty unmistakable car, really.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yup. Later that afternoon, as we were driving home, we spotted the car at an intersection. I took a picture to make me feel better, mostly to show people the collection of odious bumper stickers. Pretty unmistakable car, really.
    Showing the license? Turn that over to the police or at least the insurance.

Showing the license? Turn that over to the police or at least the insurance.
    They don't care about them. The driver behind was at fault for the collision, legally speaking.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Yeah. At the beginning of 2004 weighing 252 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight. Over the next several years, I got all the way down to 202. Now I'm back up to around 240. The sad thing is that I'm eating less and exercising more than when I was losing weight - I guess my metabolism continues to slow down.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They don't care about them. The driver behind was at fault for the collision, legally speaking.
    I have heard of people running scams dependent on this sort of thing, where they deliberately cause accidents to get someone else's insurance to fix their car, or just claim damages. (Whiplash!)

Gillianren doesn't know why the first car braked hard so suddenly - maybe they were wanting to be hit?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.