Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103
Results 3,061 to 3,074 of 3074

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Gillianren doesn't know why the first car braked hard so suddenly - maybe they were wanting to be hit?
    YouTube is flush with dash cam videos of people trying to do that very thing but it's difficult to prove without the aforementioned dash cam.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Yeah. At the beginning of 2004 weighing 252 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight. Over the next several years, I got all the way down to 202. Now I'm back up to around 240. The sad thing is that I'm eating less and exercising more than when I was losing weight - I guess my metabolism continues to slow down.
    Or, muscle mass...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yesterday morning, after getting Simon on his bus, Graham and I took advantage of his day off to run errands. We were heading north on the freeway when the guy ahead of me (who had, among other things, an Infowars bumper sticker!) braked suddenly and hard for no reason I have been able to determine. I stopped in time. The woman behind us did not.

We are fine. Irene's car seat needed to be replaced, as you can't use them once the car they're in has been in a collision, but she was outgrowing this one anyway, and insurance will cover it. (One of our errands was actually Costco, so we bought the new seat while we were there.) Our car was still driveable, though it's going to need a lot of repair and will probably be considered totaled by the insurance company due to damage to its rear crumple zone. The car behind us was definitely totaled, as its front end was completely crunched in. My neck is stiff this morning, but it's working out of its stiffness with use. My back was already messed up, and I actually had physical therapy (including massage!) yesterday evening for my preexisting problems. It doesn't hurt any worse this morning than it usually does.
    I am glad to hear you are all ok.

Today, a friend of mine passed away at his place of work. He had a heart attack, at the gym during his lunch break. One of my other friends reached out to me as soon as it happened. I was driving home from work and pulled over to take the call. I thought I took the news well, but then realized I had walked about a mile from my car and into a coffee shop to sit down. It took me a bit to get back home.

About 20 years ago, I met Tom at work and one of the first things he told me was how worried he was for his son. His son was diagnosed as being "on the spectrum". I didn't know what that meant. My son was an infant, not a toddler, so I couldn't relate. A few years later, we all went to see Finding Nemo and Tom's son sat between us. We talked all through the movie, as my sons had fallen asleep. By the end of the movie, I told Tom not to worry, his son would be fine and he seemed very pleased with my pronouncement.

Through out our two decade long friendship, Tom recounted his son's mile stones. First homecoming dance, first girlfriend, first car, first football game, soccer championship, first job, girlfriend #2 to too many girlfriends. At each step, he was worried about what would happen to his son through all of these adventures. I always answered the same way, he'd be fine. Why wouldn't he be?

About 8 years ago, I quit the place Tom and I worked at to go find something or other. I wanted to be any number of things, but kept coming back to special education. Funny how things work.

Tonight, Tom's son reached out to me to let me know what happened. I didn't even know he knew my number. But he did, because he is a fine man, like his dad.

I told him so.
    Solfe

Solfe, sorry to hear about your loss of a good friend. It seems that you were very helpful to Tom and provided a friendly ear and good advice to him in his times of worries. Obviously his son also recognised the help you had been.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I have heard of people running scams dependent on this sort of thing, where they deliberately cause accidents to get someone else's insurance to fix their car, or just claim damages. (Whiplash!)

Gillianren doesn't know why the first car braked hard so suddenly - maybe they were wanting to be hit?
    Yes, there are such cases, but if this was one of those, the way they usually work, Gillianren would be in on it.

I think people who do that kind of thing ought to be punished, but if you are driving the way you're supposed to be driving*, it won't work on you.

*In this particular case, Gillianren was driving the way she's supposed to be. The person behind her wasn't. Also, the person who hit Gillianren cannot say, "There was no valid reason for the car in front of me to stop." The person in front of Gillianren may or may not have had a valid reason, but she did.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Simon's going to have to miss his cousin's birthday party today, because he woke us up throwing up. Even if he feels better, Chuck E. Cheese is not somewhere I'm going to take him in less than three hours.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My brother just rang to say that his wife's brother had died of a probable heart attack. That is sad enough for her family, especially his wife & children. (I would only see him once every three or four years so he was not a particular friend of mine).

However, what makes it even more confronting is that he died on a visit to the Falkland Islands. I haven't got the full story but I assume that he and his wife were on a voyage to the Antarctic as those often stop-over in the Falkland & South Georgia Islands. Anyway, it appears that his wife is now stranded on the Falkland Islands. I assume he was taken to the local hospital and the ship departed.

Apparently there are only a couple of flights a week from there and she may have to try to get on a military flight to London and then travel home to Perth. So not only has she lost her husband of some 40 years but has a horrendously complicated, and long, path to get herself and his remains back here.

That is very tough and sad ozduck. I wish her the best.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That is very tough and sad ozduck. I wish her the best.
    Thanks, apparently they were on an excursion to see the penguins on West Falkland (?) when he had the heart attack. They helicoptered him to the hospital on the main island but nothing could be done. The ship had to sail on and she was left behind. My sister -in-law has been in contact with her and she said that the islanders and military people have been fantastic and have done all that they can possibly do to help her out - so that is good to hear.

She will probably travel back to Australia to see her children without his remains and they will be repatriated once all the formal paperwork can be completed. At the moment she is hoping to get a "lift" on the weekly RAF flight to the UK and return from there.

Good to here the locals have been helpful.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Good to here the locals have been helpful.
    Yes, what an incredibly difficult situation she must be in.

Not to sound uncaring, but if they paid for the trip with a credit card, the company may have insurance to help pay for things in situations like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yes, what an incredibly difficult situation she must be in.

Not to sound uncaring, but if they paid for the trip with a credit card, the company may have insurance to help pay for things in situations like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not uncaring at all. I also wondered about Travel Insurance. They were pretty experienced travelers so I would assume that the would have taken out appropriate insurance - either through their credit card or via an insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Not uncaring at all. I also wondered about Travel Insurance. They were pretty experienced travelers so I would assume that the would have taken out appropriate insurance - either through their credit card or via an insurance policy.
    Every remote trip like that we've been on (and we've been on a dozen or more) we've first had to demonstrate that we had a suitable insurance policy for medical emergencies and repatriation. With the best will in the world, the tour company and ship operator don't want to find themselves responsible, by default, for such things.
    And the RAF are generally very good at stepping into the breach in these situations - "Call it an exercise and get on with it," is the philosophy I've heard.

Grant Hutchison

I doubt the credit card company will have anything in place to cover a medical emergency like this. Travel insurance should cover it, and as Grant says, it is standard that the travel company make sure you have cover. There are regular flights from Stanley to Chile but that might not be any easier.

"We have to fly somewhere, it might as well be there" also covers it.