Page 115 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 3833

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

We are having our dream house built. Because we aren't getting any younger, can afford it, and have no human children to leave our money to.
    It's pretty easy to keep track of progress because we are living 50 feet from the construction site. On average, the minimum is more like 20 feet.
    There are some issues. For instance, the fireplace in the outdoor room has been framed incorrectly. The general contractor has known about this for at least two months. But it's still there, and now the crew installing siding has installed that and a ceiling around it. And the electrical contractor has put in wiring that will be too short for the final configuration. Both will require expensive rework. I am NOT paying for it.
    I spent several decades doing project management, for things far more pricey than this. Those things, however, weren't MY money. This is. It bothers me a LOT that they can't do better than that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    . . . and have no human children to leave our money to.
    Would you like one? I'm available for adoption.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

I have several circuit breakers which are powered, but seem to have no corresponding outlet or function. I am now tracing out lines to see what I am dealing with. Or more correctly, what I am I going to pay to have a qualified electrician come in an fix.

I have done home wiring before in many settings, but having realized that there are things that make no sense to me at all, this isn't a job that I can do myself. I do want an idea of what is wrong so I can evaluate pricing.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Would you like one? I'm available for adoption.
    One serious annoyance of mine is a cousin that had to be adopted as an adult because his bio-parents were twits. Oh, the drama. I tried to type up a comprehensive post about it, but it turned into all caps and rage. So, I deleted it.

To put a positive spin on this post, I have students with non-biological parents who adopted them. These are special needs children. Those people are ridiculously amazing parents.
    Solfe

I wake up in a panic at least once a night due to the smell of smoke from all the wild fires getting caught in an inversion layer.

(I sleep at the top of a three story wooden box, with a central chimney..err... stairwell, that was built back in the '70's.)

And despite all the smoke detectors already in place I felt compelled to add three more.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I wake up in a panic at least once a night due to the smell of smoke from all the wild fires getting caught in an inversion layer.

(I sleep at the top of a three story wooden box, with a central chimney..err... stairwell, that was built back in the '70's.)

And despite all the smoke detectors already in place I felt compelled to add three more.
    Dang.

Stay safe, BD! Maybe keep a go-bag with meds and essentials by your exit (if you don't already. You probably do already.)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Dang.

Stay safe, BD! Maybe keep a go-bag with meds and essentials by your exit (if you don't already. You probably do already.)
    Sorry Clev, I didn't mean to imply that I was in the path of one of the wildfires. The closest one is more than fifty miles away. The smoke is that intense, especially combined with an inversion not allowing the wind to blow the smoke inland.

I'm on the peninsula, about 25 miles south of San Francisco proper.

Air quality is pretty bad here in the Puget Regions as well. I think the smoke is coming down from British Columbia.

Yeah, it's another of those "bad air quality sunset" times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burning Sun.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	23495

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I posted the above before sunrise today and shucks, by daybreak the inversion has collapsed and we have a strong onshore breeze and high humidity and overcast.

I'm actually quite pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, it's another of those "bad air quality sunset" times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burning Sun.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	23495
    Not the best time to be outstanding in someone else's field. But I think it's supposed to be better this weekend.

I've gotten Facebook notifications from my governor and my kids' pediatrician on how to recognize medical problems from smoke inhalation and what to do about it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    [...] I have students with non-biological parents who adopted them [...]
    I was sorta doing this over in my head to figure if there was a robot-daddy and mommy joke in there, but then, given how fast robots and computers develop, there probably will be non-biological, mechanical, parents not too far into the future. And that's non-trivial, it just doesn't annoy me. Yet.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

An important document I sent to my daughter (2.5 hour drive from my house) via Priority Mail had an estimated delivery time of two days.
    We have just completed five days, and it still hasn't arrived.

And there have been no updates regarding its location in 24 hours.
    all this for $6.70
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I was sorta doing this over in my head to figure if there was a robot-daddy and mommy joke in there, but then, given how fast robots and computers develop, there probably will be non-biological, mechanical, parents not too far into the future. And that's non-trivial, it just doesn't annoy me. Yet.
    I got the intended meaning right away, speaking as someone who is a biological parent to someone I didn't raise!

"You can't erase icing."

"Because I was programmed to say so, that's why!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Are you my mother-board?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Just over a week ago there was a shooting in the province and two police officers were shot. Found out thru the week that one of the officers was married to the nephew of a great aunt thru on her husbands side. Never knew that family but feels a little closer to home then other situations like that.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Our air quality is very bad. Yesterday afternoon, you could see the smoke rolling over site, decreasing visibility. I'd already woken up with no voice; it warmed up enough to be usable but not much more (I've already canceled my therapy appointment for this afternoon, because talking for an hour is a bad idea right now), but it was quite clear all day that the air was the problem. By the end of the day, every merchant who could was working to get their inessentials and personal items packed so that, when faire closed, we could get out of there as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, that's not all of us; I have friends who won't be going home until this afternoon because of how their camp was set up. Others have such a long drive that they just don't bother, because they'll be too tired to drive more than an hour or two and have much farther than that to go. But I think it hurt our sales a lot yesterday, because people were sensibly staying indoors instead of coming out to our field. Heck, come to that, I'm surprised they kept having the joust; this air has got to be bad for horses, too. But I didn't get to say goodbye to a lot of my friends because everyone was tearing down and packing up as quickly as we could if we could. Our booth managed to be down and in the cars in under two hours, which may be a record.

"You can't erase icing."

Yes, air quality has been just awful here for some time. There's an eerie red hue to the light, especially mornings and evenings. It was actually dark in the town just down the road from me at 9:30 the other morning. And the ash falls like snow at times. I've stopped rinsing it off the deck and walkways because I'm using my watering allowance for the stand of trees on the empty lot next door.

I returned recently from a motorcycle ride through the southern part of the province. There were days when I couldn't see much except the immediate roadside, though I knew there should be views of mountains all around. And forget about bicycling for health and fitness. A short ride would be like smoking several packs of cigarettes. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    ... A short ride would be like smoking several packs of cigarettes. Yuck.
    But without the nicotine kick.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I was looking up our air quality forecast for the next few days (apparently, we're expected to have an onshore flow late Wednesday/early Thursday that should push all this away again), and one of the Seattle TV stations had pictures on their page of how bad visibility is. Including people who were apparently biking for pleasure and an eight-year-old girl who was out flying a kite. I might take my kids to the play area at the mall today to run around for a bit, but I assuredly wouldn't let them play outside, and I think our air is better than Seattle's.

"You can't erase icing."

There has spotted in the neighborhood a car going into peoples yards and taken pictures of their garages, probably some one planning to steal stuff.
    Eta:We have several tons of firewood in front of the wood shed and the barn, no I wish I knew had to get a bear to take a nap in the driveway.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Aug-21 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    But without the nicotine kick.
    Back in my pipe-smoking days I might light up to escape days of bad air from nearby fires. Black cavendish smells and tastes better than tree bark.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Back in my pipe-smoking days I might light up to escape days of bad air from nearby fires. Black cavendish smells and tastes better than tree bark.
    When I was twelve, or thereabouts, we'd light up "punkwood", it seemed to compare to my aunts' and uncles' unfiltereds

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I was looking up our air quality forecast for the next few days ... and one of the Seattle TV stations had pictures on their page of how bad visibility is. ...
    The Astros have been playing the Mariners in Seattle the last couple of days (and tonight). The haze is very obvious. They even considered postponing the series because of it.

We're getting some Saharan sand, and it shows, but nothing like that.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The Astros have been playing the Mariners in Seattle the last couple of days (and tonight). The haze is very obvious. They even considered postponing the series because of it.

That sand and its attendant stable air is keeping tropical cyclone development down, too, which is just fine by me!

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

The M's even passed up batting practice for the last couple of games. Maybe they needed it last night!

Yesterday was actually quite a bit better than Monday, which was awful. But not as bad as in Torsten's area, I'd guess. I was chatting to a lady at the gym and told her there were some 300 fires in British Columbia. It's actually more like 560.

I'm going to have to look up Saharan sand in Houston now!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The M's even passed up batting practice for the last couple of games. Maybe they needed it last night!

Yesterday was actually quite a bit better than Monday, which was awful. But not as bad as in Torsten's area, I'd guess. I was chatting to a lady at the gym and told her there were some 300 fires in British Columbia. It's actually more like 560.

I'm going to have to look up Saharan sand in Houston now!
    I guess it is a dry subject.

I wish they could set a good example and just cancel the game.

In theory, it's supposed to start really improving today/tomorrow, which is good--taking the kids to the mall to play for a while is all well and good, but we don't have air conditioning. We are still breathing it the second we get out the door. Last night, we broke down and opened windows for a while because it was about twenty degrees cooler outside the apartment.

"You can't erase icing."