Page 123 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 3833

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Scroll down a little. It is on the left, below the "Daily Space" video window.
    Pffft....mobile vs. PC. The warning doesn't appear when using my phone.

We haven't heard from BigDon for about a month. That's happened before, but it always worries me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Me too and then he pops up with a story.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

More terrifies me than annoys.

There was a fatal shooting outside the building where my sister works.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Eating on the job. At work. It bugs me.

Most of my working career I’ve been based in smaller buildings, where you had to expect this sort of thing, like sixteen different people making coffee throughout the place.

But I recently began a job at a big company with a huge, sprawling building complex. There’s an enormous cafeteria, and lots of break rooms and vending machines all over the place.

People still eat at their desks! Our room has no refrigerator, no sink, no trash pickup, but, by Gawd, it has a microwave oven, and somebody’s always cooking something in it. As our hours are staggered, somebody’s always going to be making breakfast or lunch or dinner. We have a few folk who are eating constantly, all day long.

How’d you like trying to concentrate on your work when the room constantly reeks of bacon or buffalo sauce? They should be required to have eat-free zones.

Much as I hate to invoke the word, the whole thing seems “unprofessional.” The company fusses about what customers may perceive, but turns a blind nose to this.

You might write a letter on up the chain, but you could lose your head that way. Perhaps you could start a petition on the bulletin board to ban eating in the office? This could make you some enemies, though.

Perhaps the law can help you.

The FDA has Good Manufacturing Practices but they only apply if you are making a drug, medical appliance, food or something for food contact. If you folks just shuffle papers those rules would not apply.

OSHA forbids eating in any room where toxic chemicals are exposed. I am not sure what the federal definition of toxic is, but you might luck out if the copy machine gets cleaned with a solvent defined in the code as toxic. Then you could make an anonymous complaint to OSHA and they would come down, do an inspection and levy a fine. You can bet that would put a stop to it. You can't really go the anonymous OSHA route if you already became known as the "Food Nazi". This would best be done out of the blue without your fingerprints on it.

If the smell is really getting to you then you might leverage the "hostile workplace" provisions in the National Labor Relations Act. I don't know how they define hostile though. This would also make you persona non grata, though.
    Last edited by billslugg; 2019-Jan-19 at 05:52 AM.

Exactly. You can't just walk into a new place and announce "You're all a bunch of slobs and when I get through, your days are numbered."
    It's just a cultural thing, probably entrenched beyond any changing. I'm just glad that i won't be involved in it too much longer. (I see a lot of modern developments that way!)

Yes, making changes in the workplace is fraught with danger. I once led an abused group of employees on an effort to rid us of a tyrant who was a level higher than our own Division Manager, was four levels above me and was dropping wrenches in our project. He had close friends on the Board of Directors and ran a rampage through the company with no accountability.

I got the group together and led them through a "beef" session where I put every comment on chart paper around the meeting room. Then I went away and organized the data into a white paper. It was in three sections: Findings, conclusions, recommendations. Very dry, no adjectives, no judgement, simple facts.

Then I went back to the group and presented the white paper. I told them that every single item in the paper HAD to be 100% correct. We massaged a few to bring them up to the standard. Some bit the dust. We got it down to one page.

Then I told them that we needed all twelve signatures on the thing. If even one person was hesitant, they should not sign, and it would sit dead in the water until we worked out the objection. Once we had everyone in agreement I made one copy for them. I held the original. I delivered copy #2 to our immediate superior with the caveat: "This is a hand grenade with a pulled pin. It is top secret stuff and keep it close to you. You are free to do whatever you want with it. It is out of our hands now and we will say nothing. If nothing happens we still will not go public, we will simply wait a few months and try again with another letter."

Being as it was 100% factual, it had 100% support of the group and it was top secret, the powers above us treated it as the exact type of ammo they needed to work the problem. Next morning there was a note on the bulletin board from the level above the guy I gave it to. The note said: " I have read the report from group XYZ and I concur with the recommendations".

About a week later there was a big announcement of a giant "get together" of all the stakeholders including Mr Toxic. We met offsite for two days with around 50 people and hashed out our differences. Mr Toxic sat stonefaced the whole time and never said a word.

About a week after that an organizational announcement came out. He was moved out of paper and into orange juice.

It never went public, he was never publicly shamed. No one outside our group ever knew about it.

I got a hero badge (in private).
    Last edited by billslugg; 2019-Jan-19 at 06:05 PM.

I get annoyed when some "expert" talks loftily about skewering misconceptions, but gets some of them wrong because he's got misconceptions of his own. Here's an example from Sean Carroll:

True Facts About Cosmology (or, Misconceptions Skewered)

He lists 19 misconceptions, including these:

8. If the universe did have an earliest moment, it doesn’t violate conservation of energy. When you take gravity into account, the total energy of any closed universe is exactly zero.

That's wrong because gravitational field energy is positive, not negative. That's why Einstein said "the energy of the gravitational field shall act gravitatively in the same way as any other kind of energy".

9. The energy of non-gravitational “stuff” (particles, fields, etc.) is not conserved as the universe expands. You can try to balance the books by including gravity, but it’s not straightforward.

That's wrong too. Energy is conserved, see Is the Universe leaking energy? by Tamara Davis. The answer is no.

10. The universe isn’t expanding “into” anything, as far as we know. General relativity describes the intrinsic geometry of spacetime, which can get bigger without anything outside.

That's wrong because spacetime represents space at all times. It's space that gets bigger, not spacetime. Note the last paragraph of the Baez preliminaries article.

16. Dark energy is not a new force; it’s a new substance. The force causing the universe to accelerate is gravity.

That's wrong on two counts. We don't know that dark energy is a "substance". And we do know that the force causing the universe to accelerate is not gravity.

19. Neither dark matter nor dark energy are anything like the nineteenth-century idea of the aether.

I think he's wrong to make that assertion. See aether theories on Wikipedia. Note that Schwinger wrote a paper in 1949 called quantum electrodynamics II : vacuum polarization and self-energy. Schwinger treated space as a polarizable medium. Not a nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Eating on the job. At work. It bugs me.
    <...>
    How’d you like trying to concentrate on your work when the room constantly reeks of bacon or buffalo sauce? They should be required to have eat-free zones.
    Eating at the job (sandwiches, fruit, no microwaving) is a pretty normal thing for me. It allows me to not have to stop any high prio stuff for a 'mandatory' lunchbreak, and when I do have time for a breather, to go out for a walk instead of having to sit in a busy cafeteria. It also helps avoid the worst of rush hour traffic. But... we do take care not to stink up the working place.

But if it is that bad, than you're probably not the only one suffering. Either others just accept it, or they haven't found the right lever to do something about it. I would imagine CEOs and such wouldn't appreciate the boardroom always being a smelly den either. But yeah, it's probably difficult to attempt doing something about it without becoming "they guy who tried to take our rights!".

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Much as I hate to invoke the word, the whole thing seems “unprofessional.”
    I can certainly understand that constantly being subjected to bad smells from food preparation every single day would become very off-putting. Just like having loud discussions in busy offices, shouting while someone else has a customer on the phone, vacuuming during office hours, and things like that. But simply eating at the desk? No. I don't see what that has to do with professionalism. Cooking, yeah, but eating? If being annoyed by that is enough to wish for bans, then lets get rid of that disgusting chewing gum first, please.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by The Physics Detective View Post
    I get annoyed when some "expert" talks loftily about skewering misconceptions, but gets some of them wrong because he's got misconceptions of his own. Here's an example from Sean Carroll:

True Facts About Cosmology (or, Misconceptions Skewered)

He lists 19 misconceptions, including these:

8. If the universe did have an earliest moment, it doesn’t violate conservation of energy. When you take gravity into account, the total energy of any closed universe is exactly zero.

That's wrong because gravitational field energy is positive, not negative. That's why Einstein said "the energy of the gravitational field shall act gravitatively in the same way as any other kind of energy".

9. The energy of non-gravitational “stuff” (particles, fields, etc.) is not conserved as the universe expands. You can try to balance the books by including gravity, but it’s not straightforward.

That's wrong too. Energy is conserved, see Is the Universe leaking energy? by Tamara Davis. The answer is no.

10. The universe isn’t expanding “into” anything, as far as we know. General relativity describes the intrinsic geometry of spacetime, which can get bigger without anything outside.

That's wrong because spacetime represents space at all times. It's space that gets bigger, not spacetime. Note the last paragraph of the Baez preliminaries article.

16. Dark energy is not a new force; it’s a new substance. The force causing the universe to accelerate is gravity.

That's wrong on two counts. We don't know that dark energy is a "substance". And we do know that the force causing the universe to accelerate is not gravity.

19. Neither dark matter nor dark energy are anything like the nineteenth-century idea of the aether.

I think he's wrong to make that assertion. See aether theories on Wikipedia. Note that Schwinger wrote a paper in 1949 called quantum electrodynamics II : vacuum polarization and self-energy. Schwinger treated space as a polarizable medium. Not a nothing.
    The Physics Detective

This post is inappropriate for this thread. First, this thread is for personal experience, not for a serious discussion of physics. Second, some of what you write is borderline ATM.

If you wish to have this discussion, start your own thread in some appropriate spot in the forum. I also ask that no one respond to this post.

Normally this would have gotten you a zero point infraction. As a newbie we'll just leave it as a learning experience. If you have not done so, I would suggest you review our rules; there is a link in my signature.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The Physics Detective

This post is inappropriate for this thread. First, this thread is for personal experience, not for a serious discussion of physics. Second, some of what you write is borderline ATM.

If you wish to have this discussion, start your own thread in some appropriate spot in the forum. I also ask that no one respond to this post.

Normally this would have gotten you a zero point infraction. As a newbie we'll just leave it as a learning experience. If you have not done so, I would suggest you review our rules; there is a link in my signature.
    That link doesn't work. I get Page not found (404). I took a look at Just joining us? Please read. The link to forum rules there doesn't work either. I found them here:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...-This-Board-**

Edit: I've now read them, and would say they don't make it clear that you shouldn't talk cosmology in this section.

Please indicate where can I start a discussion about the points I raised. I'm interested in learning what you (plural) think is mainstream, and about what you think is not. I might then like to start an ATM thread. In addition, please fell free to delete or relocate my posts as appropriate.
    Last edited by The Physics Detective; 2019-Jan-21 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Feel free to delete... added

The Rules do say:

14. Disruptive Behavior

The moderators and administrators reserve the right to take action against a poster who is disrupting the normal flow of the board. This includes violations listed in the other rules (trolling, use of ad hominems, posting copyrighted materials, etc.), but may also include behavior we have not yet foreseen. Since this rule is perforce general, we will attempt to correct the problem by warning the violator (via PM, email, or posting in the thread) and giving him/her a chance to explain his/her behavior, and we will take further action only if proven necessary.

and

17. Moderator Actions

... Do not respond to moderation in-thread, unless asked a question by a moderator. If you wish clarification, want to question the moderation, or need to explain your actions, report the post and/or PM a moderator. If you wish to publicly discuss any act of moderation, start a thread in the Feedback forum. You may report the first post of that thread to ensure it is brought to the attention of the moderators.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by The Physics Detective View Post
    That link doesn't work. I get Page not found (404). I took a look at Just joining us? Please read. The link to forum rules there doesn't work either. I found them here:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...-This-Board-**

Edit: I've now read them, and would say they don't make it clear that you shouldn't talk cosmology in this section.

Please indicate where can I start a discussion about the points I raised. I'm interested in learning what you (plural) think is mainstream, and about what you think is not. I might then like to start an ATM thread. In addition, please fell free to delete or relocate my posts as appropriate.
    I have fixed all those links. Thanks for pointing those out.

As far as a discussion of the points you raised, I would suggest Science & Technology or Astronomy, if you keep the discussion mainstream, and Against The Mainstream (ATM) if your ideas are not mainstream.I don't think I can give you a detailed list of what is Mainstream and what isn't.

Now, if you need any further discussion of this, as Jim points out, we cannot discuss it in-thread. If you would like a private discussion, I suggest you Report this post (click on black triangle with ! in the lower left corner). If you wish a public discussion, please start a thread in Feedback.

This evening, while driving home from work in the dark, on an icy road, I spotted a cyclist going the "wrong way".

He had no lights, reflectors, or protective gear, and was wearing a camouflage outfit.
    Does this guy have a death wish?

I'm an avid recreational cyclist, but won't ride in this weather.
    And when I ride at night, I prefer to resemble this vehicle:

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Ugh... working on my income taxes. This year, the state of Maryland caught me by surprise.

We moved from one county to another mid year, and my payroll withholding was adjusted accordingly.
    ...but MD doesn't account for mid-year moves, and calculates income tax based solely on your residence as of Dec 31st.

When I informed TurboTax of the change, it recomputed a $60 refund into a $1,000 payment due.

This evening, while driving home from work in the dark, on an icy road, I spotted a cyclist going the "wrong way".

He had no lights, reflectors, or protective gear, and was wearing a camouflage outfit.
    Probably on a covert mission. Budget cuts, so they’re using bicycles now.

We're having a bit of a cold snap, with some snow a couple of days ago and temperatures generally hovering around freezing. As a result, a 55 year old homeless woman has died of hypothermia in my little town. It makes me very sad and somewhat guilty as I sit here in my new house.

I'm an avid recreational cyclist, but won't ride in this weather.
    And when I ride at night, I prefer to resemble this vehicle:
    I was a passenger in the car during this lovely interaction: nighttime, dark-clothes, no lights or reflectors, cyclist was peddling up the middle of the road going the wrong way on an off-ramp. He almost got mowed down.

To add to the weirdness, he lazily peddled off into the night without a word, like he didn't almost die.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Ouch. When driving, I find cyclists to be more of a concern than pedestrians. Some cyclists follow the rules, use lights and wear reflective clothing at night and are generally careful. Then there are others that seem to be trying to be invisible, breeze through stop signs, decide on a whim whether they'll follow pedestrian or vehicle rules (or any rules at all) and move dangerously fast.

Pedestrians (at least where I live) seem to follow the rules much more consistently and at least move much more slowly, so if one is somewhere they shouldn't be, you have more time to brake.

I've never hit a cyclist or had one hit me, but there have been more close calls than I like.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm sure that poor driving has been mentioned before in this thread, but here's what really annoys me: people who drive too fast for conditions and tailgaters.

A couple of weeks ago I did a long drive to visit family. As I came into the lower Fraser Valley, east of Vancouver, conditions on the freeway rapidly deteriorated into blowing snow and poor visibility, at times approaching whiteout conditions. Many of us on the road slowed down, but there were people passing me doing well over 100 km/h. Less than half a minute after thinking "There is going to be a chain collision accident, I need to get off this road" I was in the middle of a big pile up. I stopped about 10 m from the vehicle ahead of me and hoped no one would run into me. No one did. Some vehicles went for the shoulder while others left the pavement to avoid collision. Three vehicles had collided just ahead of me in the left lane. I could see seven wrecks from where I was stopped. But there were fifteen in total.

As the mess was being cleared up, I agreed to take a couple of guys and their gear home. They had successfully stopped a good distance from the vehicle ahead of them, only to be slammed so hard the back of their vehicle looked like an accordion. The driver told me one of the vehicle's chassis rails was broken. The driver's seat was pushed ahead by a loaded ski bag that had been lying behind it, and he somehow escaped being crushed or impaled. One of the skis in the bag was shattered. (Had I known he'd refused the paramedics' suggestion he be examined at a hospital, I'd not have taken him...)

A little over a week later I was travelling on the same freeway after a snowfall. It was slippery, but at least the visibility was good. Both lanes were moving well, but in the fast lane were tailgaters. Really, what is a person thinking driving in a little sedan less than one second behind a cube truck, even when conditions are good?

Later that day the last 240 km of the trip were on polished, compact snow. I passed three wrecks, and I stopped to offer help at one of them. Each accident was an example of driving too fast for the conditions, and obviously, easily preventable.

I live in a neighbourhood where the speed limit is 25 mph. Last Friday, as the snow was really starting to come down, there were people going at least 35 in the only direction you could do that. Traffic in the other lane was about 5 mph or slower, except when people occasionally decided they were important enough to drive in the turn lane. I was out there for an hour waiting for Simon's school bus and was shocked I didn't see an accident.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I was the sixth car in a five car pile up once. The first five hit each other in a chain reaction; I stopped a few feet short of the last one.

Driving the highways in Houston, if I leave a reasonable distance between me and the car ahead someone will pull into that opening. If I drop back, it happens again. There have been times when I worried I could end up back where I started.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

New York State has some rather misleading terminology for schools. The term "Union Free District" is one of them, which has nothing to do with labor practices. "Union" means two districts combined their primary education schools together, "Free" means that they can jointly operate a high school and the district must have a school board of elected officials. Confusing, eh?

I am taking a class on "The History of Teaching Social Studies", which will have some observation time. The professor asked if any of the students had children and what district they attend. She doesn't want to sent us to observe our own children, it creates problems. Oddly my children's school district is a "Union Free District" but they don't use it in the title, except for rare legal documents where it is required. Student handbook, policies and such. I knew this, but I didn't bother to mention that because it wasn't particularly useful to the conversation. My professor is an alumni of the school, which is pretty interesting in and of itself.

Que the class maniac. The guy sitting next to me apparently has a mental list of all the schools which are "Union Free". He proceeded to shout at me about labor practices, laws and the unethical practice of being "Union Free" in respect to allowing people to unionize. So he had the words, but not the concepts. He screamed at me for about 90 seconds before the professor stepped in and shut him down. However, she did not bother to correct his lack of knowledge.

The class degenerated from there. The teacher has a short list of things never to do in her class and this guy managed to touch on all of them. He is not going to fail, he is going to get kicked out and doesn't see it at all.
    Solfe

Ever heard of RSV? I hadn't, until I got diagnosed with it a few days ago. Think "Worst Cold I Ever Had". Now my wife's got it too. With her poor health, I wound up taking her to the Emergency Room yesterday. Ugh.

Oh, man, I'm sorry. I'd actually been coming in to post about how miserable I've felt the last few days--I think I had a migraine Friday. I've been coughing for about a month, actually, and then this weekend something new hit. I've gone through an entire box of tissues. I took a nap with Irene Friday afternoon for a couple of hours. I went to bed early Friday night and slept very late Saturday. (As I pointed out to Simon, I usually get way less sleep than he does, so if I'm sleeping a lot, I'm probably not feeling well.) Yesterday, all I could think was that Graham had today and tomorrow off, and he would come home and take care of me.

He was sick when he got home yesterday. Naturally, I am now feeling much better and will be taking the next two days to take care of him!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ...He screamed at me for about 90 seconds before the professor stepped in and shut him down....
    You had a perfect opportunity to quote Inigo Montoya, from The Princess Bride. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Trebuchet, Gillianren, and their respective significant others, are all feeling better. I think I had RSV or something similar a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, man, I'm sorry. I'd actually been coming in to post about how miserable I've felt the last few days--I think I had a migraine Friday. I've been coughing for about a month, actually, and then this weekend something new hit. I've gone through an entire box of tissues. I took a nap with Irene Friday afternoon for a couple of hours. I went to bed early Friday night and slept very late Saturday. (As I pointed out to Simon, I usually get way less sleep than he does, so if I'm sleeping a lot, I'm probably not feeling well.) Yesterday, all I could think was that Graham had today and tomorrow off, and he would come home and take care of me.

He was sick when he got home yesterday. Naturally, I am now feeling much better and will be taking the next two days to take care of him!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I hope Trebuchet, Gillianren, and their respective significant others, are all feeling better. I think I had RSV or something similar a couple of years ago.
    Thanks. I've gone through several boxes of tissues. RSV had been thought of as a children's disease, but now is increasingly afflicting us oldsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ever heard of RSV?
    Actually, I had.
    Mrs. Extravoice works for large University in Baltimore, and her department is developing a vaccine.
    Right now, they are targeting children in their trials.

Here is a link to an earlier press release:
    https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-rele...rly-trial.html

It sounds like it can be pretty nasty. I wish you well.