Page 124 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 3831

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

  1. #3691
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ever heard of RSV? I hadn't, until I got diagnosed with it a few days ago. Think "Worst Cold I Ever Had". Now my wife's got it too. With her poor health, I wound up taking her to the Emergency Room yesterday. Ugh.
    I'm sorry. That is hard to deal with.

    Many years ago, I worked with a bunch of people who were globetrotting when the avian flu was big. None of them got the flu but several of them were diagnosed with RSV. It was a beast to catch medically because they expecting a flu bug. They all came through, but it was touchy for some of them.

    I hope you both get well soon.
    Solfe

  2. #3692
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, man, I'm sorry. I'd actually been coming in to post about how miserable I've felt the last few days--I think I had a migraine Friday. I've been coughing for about a month, actually, and then this weekend something new hit. I've gone through an entire box of tissues. I took a nap with Irene Friday afternoon for a couple of hours. I went to bed early Friday night and slept very late Saturday. (As I pointed out to Simon, I usually get way less sleep than he does, so if I'm sleeping a lot, I'm probably not feeling well.) Yesterday, all I could think was that Graham had today and tomorrow off, and he would come home and take care of me.

    He was sick when he got home yesterday. Naturally, I am now feeling much better and will be taking the next two days to take care of him!
    Funny you say migraine and runny nose. One by one, my whole family has been hit with something like that, but perhaps shorter in duration. It starts with coughing, then a runny nose and then a migraine like headache. It nailed all of us in short order, it lasted no more than 48 hours. Once the headache resolved, the runny nose didn't seem so bad.

    I hope you get better soon and no one else gets it.
    Solfe

  3. #3693
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ever heard of RSV? I hadn't, until I got diagnosed with it a few days ago. Think "Worst Cold I Ever Had". Now my wife's got it too. With her poor health, I wound up taking her to the Emergency Room yesterday. Ugh.
    Sorry for venting, please ignore if you wish.
    When I took my wife into the ER, they gave her a couple of nebuliser treatments. We have a machine, and thought we had the medication to go with it so we turned down their offer to prescribe some. Big mistake. We only had five doses.
    First thing Monday I called the doctor's office and asked for them to prescribe it. They said they would put a rush on it. Some rush, it didn't get done until 3:30 PM. And they got it wrong.
    They prescribed a vial of medicine that has to be mixed with sterile normal saline. You can't get it easily. I'd already driven into town and back when I discovered that so I went in again. The pharmacist was nice, although he'd previously wrongly told me no dilution was needed, and immediately called the doctor's office. I wound up sitting at Safeway for an hour and a half before they could get it sorted out. Probably infecting their waiting room, while I was doing it.
    Doc's office is going to hear from me about this. We've been generally very impressed with medical care in this little town, but getting prescriptions approved in a timely fashion has been an ongoing problem.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  4. #3694
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,725
    Last night, I was up with insomnia already when I started coughing and couldn't stop. Not consistently, exactly; just consistently enough to keep me from sleeping until well after five. I then had to wake up again at 7:15 to get Simon on his bus, which he missed, so I had to get him on the bus across the street. I then fell back to sleep (after a little more coughing) and got my Wednesday morning article online at 12:30, an hour and a half late, because I hadn't just written it while I was awake before I started coughing.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #3695
    Staying up with a cough sucks, did it a lot as a child before they found out I had asthma.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #3696
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,725
    I ended up taking myself to the ER again last night because the cough had faded during the day but came back intensely as the sun was setting--and as urgent care was closing, naturally. They prescribed me heavier duty cough suppressants (they're pretty sure it's viral, so antibiotics wouldn't help), including cough syrup with codeine so I could sleep. The cough syrup is disgusting; is there a good reason you can't get it in pill? Also, my insurance won't cover it, so I had to pay for it myself.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  7. #3697
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,583
    My coughing fits are rare now, but they come from several sources.

    1. Sinus infections (drainage causes coughing).
    2. Allergies (drainage causes coughing).
    3. Reflux. If I eat things late at night, or eat super-spicy stuff, or overeat, etc., I get reflux, which causes coughing when the reflux hits the back of your throat. You often aren't aware of it, but that's the cause. I take stomach-calming meds as a result.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

  8. #3698
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I ended up taking myself to the ER again last night because the cough had faded during the day but came back intensely as the sun was setting--and as urgent care was closing, naturally. They prescribed me heavier duty cough suppressants (they're pretty sure it's viral, so antibiotics wouldn't help), including cough syrup with codeine so I could sleep. The cough syrup is disgusting; is there a good reason you can't get it in pill? Also, my insurance won't cover it, so I had to pay for it myself.
    So sorry, Gillian. Have they stuck a swab up your nose to test for RSV or Flu?
    I'm feeling a little better about our doctor's office since they called up yesterday and suggested my wife come in for a followup. We're going to have them look at me as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #3699
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,428
    I hope all y'all feel better real soon.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  10. #3700
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,428
    This would qualify as trivial but it's phishing and that's never trivial. My wife and I have been getting text messages from our bank and credit card companies. There's no detailed message, just a short note and a link for us to click. One of the texts was from a card we don't carry. One from our bank read, "Suspecious (sic) Activity."

    For the record, I don't click links I didn't request. They're just too suspecious.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  11. #3701
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I ended up taking myself to the ER again last night because the cough had faded during the day but came back intensely as the sun was setting--and as urgent care was closing, naturally. They prescribed me heavier duty cough suppressants (they're pretty sure it's viral, so antibiotics wouldn't help), including cough syrup with codeine so I could sleep. The cough syrup is disgusting; is there a good reason you can't get it in pill? Also, my insurance won't cover it, so I had to pay for it myself.
    I think the reason I don't like fruit that much is because of the flavoring in meds I took as a child, mostly banana and cherry.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  12. #3702
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    So sorry, Gillian. Have they stuck a swab up your nose to test for RSV or Flu?
    No, but I did get a flu shot this year. I see my primary care physician next week, so maybe then.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  13. #3703
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    908
    Another return visit from my old friend the Kidney Stone. No pain or other indications yet as it is non-obstructive. I thought I passed a small stone a few days ago so went in for a check and an ultrasound revealed the stone.

    A visit to the urologist and probably another overnight in the hospital is on the cards.

  14. #3704
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,780
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Another return visit from my old friend the Kidney Stone. No pain or other indications yet as it is non-obstructive. I thought I passed a small stone a few days ago so went in for a check and an ultrasound revealed the stone.

    A visit to the urologist and probably another overnight in the hospital is on the cards.
    May it pass quickly and quietly.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  15. #3705
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    May it pass quickly and quietly.
    Unfortunately this one is too big too pass, 6mm x 8mm, so probably an 'intervention' will be required at some stage.

  16. #3706
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,785
    Hopefully the intervention will be non-intrusive.

    I had a kidney stone about a decade ago. I wouldnít wish that on an enemy.

    Nurse: Sir, please stand still.
    Me- I CANíT!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #3707
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Hopefully the intervention will be non-intrusive.

    I had a kidney stone about a decade ago. I wouldn’t wish that on an enemy.

    Nurse: Sir, please stand still.
    Me- I CAN’T!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The most fun I have ever had is the passing of a stone! Welcome morphine, come to me ketamine.

    I anticipate an ureteroscopy - which I have had once before. Very much intrusive.

  18. #3708
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The most fun I have ever had is the passing of a stone! Welcome morphine, come to me ketamine.

    I anticipate an ureteroscopy - which I have had once before. Very much intrusive.
    Thatís pretty much the definition of intrusive.

    Good luck with it. I assume the docs donít want to (or canít) try ultrasonic blasting?

  19. #3709
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    That’s pretty much the definition of intrusive.

    Good luck with it. I assume the docs don’t want to (or can’t) try ultrasonic blasting?
    I asked about that possibility the last time but the specialist was said he didn't think it was the best option for me. That was about 7 years ago so who knows this time. Hopefully there may be some options.

    Actually the last lot of smallish ones I had were Uric Acid based. They were dissolved with oral treatment to change my renal PH levels. It worked very well and painlessly, but I doubt this one is that type.

  20. #3710
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,189
    My wife is watching Sister Wives on what used to be "The Learning Channel". I find it disgusting. The network goes out of its way to make these idiots appear normal. They aren't. Those women aren't wives, they're slaves.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  21. #3711
    I got a stomach bug today, looks like ginger ale fluids and light food for the next little while.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  22. #3712
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,782
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I got a stomach bug today, looks like ginger ale fluids and light food for the next little while.
    Whenever they'd put me on a "clear liquid" diet, after a few hours, I used to despair.

    Never mind Star Trek's "transparent aluminum," what we need is "transparent meat!"

  23. #3713
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,780
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Whenever they'd put me on a "clear liquid" diet, after a few hours, I used to despair.

    Never mind Star Trek's "transparent aluminum," what we need is "transparent meat!"
    At various times when my wife's digestive problems have flared up she has been on the "white" diet: potatoes, rice, cottage cheese. All very bland, easy to digest foods.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  24. #3714
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,189
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Whenever they'd put me on a "clear liquid" diet, after a few hours, I used to despair.

    Never mind Star Trek's "transparent aluminum," what we need is "transparent meat!"
    As long as they aren't removing your stomach contents through a tube down your nose, and have a big sign over your head reading "NPO", you've nothing to complain about. My digestive system does NOT like opioid pain medication.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  25. #3715
    I am feeling better now, I decided to take it easy on stomach for 24 hours. Probably won't be eating much for a while.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  26. #3716
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,189
    More worried than annoyed, but we haven't heard from BigDon in a while.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  27. #3717
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    More worried than annoyed, but we haven't heard from BigDon in a while.
    Tried a PM? If his PMs are routed to his email then maybe he'll respond that way?

    And yes...it's disquieting.

  28. #3718
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Nurse: Sir, please stand still.
    Me- I CAN’T!

    I had the same experience. I remember reading at the time that two common causes of severe pain in the abdomen are kidney stones and appendicitis, and that the way to tell them apart is that an appendicitis patient doesn't move, while a kidney stone patient can't stop moving.
    As above, so below

  29. #3719
    I am hoping it was just the the funky leftover mac and cheese I had on Sunday.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  30. #3720
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,725
    I get that when Graham is going to be half an hour late from work, he can't always call to let me know. But five hours?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •