Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Her poor kid! I hope it's not too late for the little one.
    Well, she's about thirty-two weeks pregnant, so it probably is. And she doesn't seem to care that she's hurting it, so I doubt she'll stop smoking around it after it's born.

(Apropos of nothing, Gillian, I like the new avatar.)
    Thanks! To Seek found me a new one; it's similar to the old one except not orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Because it's so gratuitously harmful.
    It doesn't helpful that I'm so much more sensitive to it these days. But yeah, smoking is one of those activities that contributes no positive to balance out the negative so far as I can see. I mean, at campfires I've been to, I've seen smokers trying to avoid the smoke from the fire while still inhaling the smoke from the little fire they're holding. It's so weird.

I have a colleague who is an ex-friend (it's complicated) who is half my age and who smokes excessively. Last month we teamed up to teach a large class (which went well) but she asked me if I would do most of the talking as her throat was so sore. Ten days later, her voice was noticeably worse and she kept rubbing her throat. Eventually I asked her if she would see a doctor. She refused, saying, "He'll just tell me to cut down on smoking, and I don't intend to do that." (More or less exact words.) I asked her, "What's the point in being able to speak five languages if you're no longer able to speak?" She thanked me for my concern but made it clear she would continue as before.
    In that case, you can't even just say, "It's an addiction." That's someone who doesn't care that it's an addiction; someone who cares would at least acknowledge the fact.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    In that case, you can't even just say, "It's an addiction." That's someone who doesn't care that it's an addiction; someone who cares would at least acknowledge the fact.
    Well she said she'd give up when she gets pregnant, which she's not planning any year soon. But given that she's a heavy drinker too, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

I wish I didn't care.

The GF has smoked for longer than I've known her. She quit a few times, most recently with the help Chantix. What she found with that was that she didn't miss smoking, she missed the idea of smoking. Basically, she liked going outside every so often for a few minutes, and smoking gave her an excuse. When she no longer had smoking cravings, she still wanted to go outside during commercial breaks and felt stupid doing it if she wasn't smoking.

I honestly don't know if it was just an excuse or not. her most recent attempt to quit was to get an electronic cigarette, but that had other issues.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I quit smoking for 15 years after starting at the age of 15 and smoking until 30, when my wife became pregnant with my first son. Marlboro man, etc. The only trick for quitting was to say to myself each day that all the suffering in days prior was worthless if I fell into temptation. The first two weeks are hard, then it is much easier by the day. Just have to avoid all the ceremonial moments.

I did start smoking again, this time cigars only, and intentionally. However, cigars are not inhaled, generally smoked in open spaces, and go wonderfully with coffee. All my chest x-rays etc show better-than-average conditions for city dwellers. Cigar smoking is not nearly as addictive, and if I go a day without, OK. All things in moderation.

I smoked heavily in college out of boredom and curiousity. I knew it was dangerous, even called them "coffin nails", etc. It wasn't until I got a severe lung infection that had me on my back for three weeks struggling to breathe that I decided it wasn't worth it.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Don't mean to sound cruel towards friends, but I'm now doubly glad I never caught on to smoking. Did try it a couple of times in late teens. My best friend has had dentures for a while now (from the immense smoking she's done); another friend, only 1-1/2 years older than I, has deep wrinkles in her face and also had to get dentures. She prematurely aged at least 10 years.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Did you notice the UKIP party which is zooming up the polls has as a main policy re-allowing smoking in pubs? Of course smoking is not a political issue it's just trivial.

Just because you don't care that it's an addiction doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that fact. I'm a heavy smoker, i'm perfectly well aware that it's an addiction and the risk factors that it entails, but that doesn't mean i intend to quit. I find it interesting that people always assume that a smoker is either someone that is trying but failing to quit or someone that cannot acknowledge that they have an addiction, as if it's impossible to be consciously weighing the benefits and costs and deciding to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
    Just because you don't care that it's an addiction doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that fact. I'm a heavy smoker, i'm perfectly well aware that it's an addiction and the risk factors that it entails, but that doesn't mean i intend to quit. I find it interesting that people always assume that a smoker is either someone that is trying but failing to quit or someone that cannot acknowledge that they have an addiction, as if it's impossible to be consciously weighing the benefits and costs and deciding to continue.
    What are the benefits?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    What are the benefits?
    It helps tremendously with concentration and calming me down, when i wasn't smoking my concentration was almost at an ADD level. It also helps when i'm busy working on some intellectually demanding activity (like trying to prove some theorem) that after i go outside for 10 minutes to have a smoke and come back i can usually get a fresh perspective, it helps clearing the mind for a moment. And it also just feels good to have a smoke (otherwise it wouldn't become an addiction of course), and being very prone to addictions in general (both drugs and alcohol in the past) it seems to me that having a smoking addiction reduces the risk for me to fall back into those other (more damaging) addictions which would become more likely if i didn't have any sort of "fix" at all. So even if i were to quit the most likely result is that either i'd go down the street of quiting, starting again, quiting again, and so on or quiting and getting into a more damaging addiction.

Some of the risk factors are somewhat mitigated for me because i have a job (being a traindriver) that involves working hours that are all over the day without any sort of normal rythm to them. That also reduces expected life span by about the same amount as smoking and the risk factors aren't additive, so when you're either smoking or have a job like that it doesn't matter (at least on that point) that you're also doing the other or not.

Taking all that into account i've decided that it's best to continue.

Thanks! To Seek found me a new one; it's similar to the old one except not orange.
    I actually still get irritated about the recent "upgrade" fiasco every time I see it and get reminded of why it changed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I actually still get irritated about the recent "upgrade" fiasco every time I see it and get reminded of why it changed.
    Actually, ToSeek just found one he liked better and asked if I approved.

As to the "benefits" of smoking, well, can't you get most of those without smoking? When I still had a job, smokers didn't get more breaks than nonsmokers, so it wasn't as though you could just say, "I have to go get a cigarette" and get extra time out. Actually, I got more time outside than the smokers, because the only possible way for me to head off a panic attack was to go into the vacant lot next door for a minute and stand under the trees. (Which didn't always work, but it was better for all of us than not heading one off and just having to go home for the day!) If your concentration is "almost at an ADD level," isn't it possible it was at an ADD level and you have ADD? The medication for ADD isn't the best for your body, but it's better than smoking. And I have known plenty of people who have managed to be addicted to more than one substance, so I'm not sure how much of a prophylactic it is from more serious addictions.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Non-trivial-- thinking my area is getting back to normal and then seeing a story in Metro Boston with the subheading "Pervert Cannibal".

I had quite a long conversation yesterday with "Sean", calling from India about reports of computer problems "in your area." He became quite upset that I called him a criminal. Apparently he's new there and, I would guess, legitimately didn't recognize the nature of the company (calling itself Tech 24/7) that he was working for. A Google Search for "Tech 24/7 Scam" got over 600,000 hits.

The Do Not Call list has rapidly been getting less and less effective, as scammers realize the feds are seldom going to do anything. I'd willingly pay a bit more tax for some effective enforcement.

I had quite a long conversation yesterday with "Sean", calling from India about reports of computer problems "in your area."
    Sorry...

I had quite a long conversation yesterday with "Sean", calling from India about reports of computer problems "in your area." He became quite upset that I called him a criminal. Apparently he's new there and, I would guess, legitimately didn't recognize the nature of the company (calling itself Tech 24/7) that he was working for. A Google Search for "Tech 24/7 Scam" got over 600,000 hits.
    I once had someone respond to my "You know, I can report this to the FBI" with "Well, I'm in India; I don't care." Which I suppose is a fair point!

"You can't erase icing."

I once had someone respond to my "You know, I can report this to the FBI" with "Well, I'm in India; I don't care." Which I suppose is a fair point!
    If you talk in a funny voice and make all kinds of off the wall observations, statements and predictions, they get annoyed. Just never say anything that sounds "affirmative".
    Solfe

As to the "benefits" of smoking, well, can't you get most of those without smoking? When I still had a job, smokers didn't get more breaks than nonsmokers, so it wasn't as though you could just say, "I have to go get a cigarette" and get extra time out. Actually, I got more time outside than the smokers, because the only possible way for me to head off a panic attack was to go into the vacant lot next door for a minute and stand under the trees. (Which didn't always work, but it was better for all of us than not heading one off and just having to go home for the day!) If your concentration is "almost at an ADD level," isn't it possible it was at an ADD level and you have ADD? The medication for ADD isn't the best for your body, but it's better than smoking. And I have known plenty of people who have managed to be addicted to more than one substance, so I'm not sure how much of a prophylactic it is from more serious addictions.
    Maybe that is true, but smoking is what works for me (and i also enjoy it by itself). Perhaps you're right that it's not the best prophylactic, but it is one that works for me (or at least it seems to be, correlation isn't necessarily causation after all) and it is certainly better than no prophylactic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Non-trivial-- thinking my area is getting back to normal and then seeing a story in Metro Boston with the subheading "Pervert Cannibal".
    Is that a cannibal that eats perverts or a cannibal that is also a pervert?

Maybe that is true, but smoking is what works for me (and i also enjoy it by itself). Perhaps you're right that it's not the best prophylactic, but it is one that works for me (or at least it seems to be, correlation isn't necessarily causation after all) and it is certainly better than no prophylactic at all.
    Can I ask about how you smoke around nonsmokers before I agree to that?

"You can't erase icing."

Can I ask about how you smoke around nonsmokers before I agree to that?
    If in open air i smoke, if in an enclosed space i ask, and at my own home i smoke. In essence, i never force anyone to be part of it, but neither will i go out of my way to not smoke at my own home given that anyone there is there out of their own free will and is just as free not to come if they don't like that.

But can i ask you why you need that information to be able to make the decision to agree or disagree on those specific points i brought up? Even if i were walking around blowing smoke in kids' faces that doesn't mean that the smoking doesn't help with concentration or prophylaxis, it just provides information to make a general value judgement on my smoking behaviour.

Is that a cannibal that eats perverts or a cannibal that is also a pervert?
    The fellow they caught is the latter.

But can i ask you why you need that information to be able to make the decision to agree or disagree on those specific points i brought up? Even if i were walking around blowing smoke in kids' faces that doesn't mean that the smoking doesn't help with concentration or prophylaxis, it just provides information to make a general value judgement on my smoking behaviour.
    It would indicate to me whether I really thought it was better than privately drinking yourself into a stupor. They're both bad for you, so the deciding factor is which is worse to others. Yes, you're more likely to kill yourself immediately by drinking yourself into a stupor on a regular basis, but you're more likely to kill yourself with cigarettes over the long term, so that's kind of a wash. As it is, I already disagree that it's better than a possible diagnosis/medication for ADD. It's also my experience that, for example, smokers aren't aware of how smoke actually behaves in open air and think they're being more considerate than they are. Consideration for others is always part of my value calculation about whether something is really a better option, which is what I thought I was agreeing to.

"You can't erase icing."

The Do Not Call list has rapidly been getting less and less effective, as scammers realize the feds are seldom going to do anything. I'd willingly pay a bit more tax for some effective enforcement.
    Not just the scammers, but advertisers for legitimate businesses (I think). I keep getting robocalls for things that are only REMOTELY related to me being a customer. Like "we can give you a better rate on your natural gas". Because it's so muddled with who is the supplier, who is the transporter, and other factors, it's hard to say if they are in obeyance of the list.

Mothers Day advertising. That may sound trivial, but when your mother has died recently, as my wife's and mine have, and you're perhaps borderline depressive anyway, it's seriously bothersome. Fortunately it'll be over soon, at least until next year.

Mothers Day advertising. That may sound trivial, but when your mother has died recently, as my wife's and mine have, and you're perhaps borderline depressive anyway, it's seriously bothersome. Fortunately it'll be over soon, at least until next year.
    This will be the first time in fifteen years that it won't bother me. Being a birth mother makes the commercials pretty difficult to take, too. I'm quite sure my daughter literally doesn't think of me as her mother half the time or more, and that's understandable. I certainly don't regret making the best possible decision for everyone concerned, which is what giving her up was. But man, Mothers' Day has been hard. I go out of my way to make sure I'm doing something that day instead of sitting around, moping.

And, yeah, I keep getting calls offering to clean my carpets. I had one woman call once and say there would be a tree-trimmer in my neighbourhood, but I haven't heard back from them--I pointed out to the woman that the owner of our apartment complex is generally responsible for that, and she took me right off their calling list.

"You can't erase icing."

It's also Copernican instead of Ptolemaic, which I thought was an improvement as well.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    It's also Copernican instead of Ptolemaic, which I thought was an improvement as well.
    So her avatar has advanced in time!

There is no greater inspiration to leave your body to science than to see a funeral home in action.

The Girlfriend's father died last night. He was found at 6:30 in the morning and people were called. By 11 AM, the family that had been notified were in the funeral home being told that "Arrangements need to be made today, and payment in full needs to be a part of that, so if you could just give us a credit card, or sign over an insurance policy to us today, that would be great, yeah."

Three more notifications were made while we were talking about the costs.

It also turns out the cost to move the service to the local church, where he'd been a member for 50+ years would actually increase the price since the transportation fee was really high.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I'm sorry for your loss Tog and the added pain of dealing with the arrangements.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules