Page 25 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's pretty much where I am now. The removing part, however frightens me because of the resulting hole. What happens next?
    One I had removed three years ago quickly healed and gave me no trouble at all.

The one I had removed 13 days ago still hurts but it's not agony by any means, and it is healing up.

Once the hole has healed, it hardens fairly quickly and you can eat - even chew - on it. If you have a healthy tooth on either side of the hole, you'll quickly forget there's even a tooth missing.

The dentist, by the way, theorizes that the tooth may have an extra, and very small, root which was missed in the original procedure.
    Interesting, but unlikely to add to your discomfort.

Trivial for the rest of you but decidedly non-trivial for me: I've had a sore on my gum for several weeks. On the second visit to the dentist he decided it was probably related to a failing root canal and referred me to the endontist, who I see this afternoon. Assuming the diagnosis is correct, the best outcome I can look forward to is another root canal. The dentist also mentioned that the tooth might have to come out. Oh my. I'm very apprehensive. And I don't even have dental insurance any more. This is going to hurt in both the mouth and the wallet.
    Yikes.

You have my sympathies and empathies, Treb. I nearly lost part of my jaw to infection following a bad wisdom tooth extraction; the surgeon had left some bits of bone in the socket, and it turned necrotic. I needed a second surgery and a course of antibiotics to get it all out. They also nearly broke my jaw initially pulling the tooth in question, and did partially dislocate it. Today my mouth has a slight but noticeable difference in shape, and the teeth on one side are hard to chew with.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    One I had removed three years ago quickly healed and gave me no trouble at all.

The one I had removed 13 days ago still hurts but it's not agony by any means, and it is healing up.

Once the hole has healed, it hardens fairly quickly and you can eat - even chew - on it. If you have a healthy tooth on either side of the hole, you'll quickly forget there's even a tooth missing.
    That's encouraging, I guess!

Interesting, but unlikely to add to your discomfort.
    Right. The theory is that since it was missed, it has since become infected and is causing the sore on the adjacent gum.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That's pretty much where I am now. The removing part, however frightens me because of the resulting hole. What happens next?
    Which tooth? Molars suck but they're hidden. If it's a visible tooth, appearance needs to be considered. If it's a bottom tooth, make a fist to rest between your chin and your chest or your jaw will be really sore the next day.

I've always had bad teeth. My suggestion would be to have it pulled. With no insurance, it will be roughly 10% of the cost (as I remember it) of a root canal and the problem will be gone. Every root canal I ever had failed and the tooth had to come out within a couple of years anyway.

The worst thing to worry about after the extraction is a dry socket. This is when the "scab" falls out of the hole and exposes the jaw bone. I don't recall it hurting all that much, but it makes for really bad breath for a while. Really bad. Dogs will come into your house to roll on your mouth before they go out to hunt bad.

As far as the after-pain goes, everyone is different, but I rarely used more than half of my pain pills (Tylenol 3 w/Codeine, or Lortab, which I hate)
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I've just asked my wife for an honest opinion, and she said that although there have been occasions when I've had bad breath, it is not the case now (after the extraction of my lower left 7) nor three years ago following the extraction of my upper right 7. So I think you are just unlucky on that, Tog.

Yes. Dry socket is the exception rather than something to be expected. It's just the most likely thing that go wrong after the procedure. The little blood-puddle can come out with the gauze, or it can be drawn out by smoking or using a soda straw.

When I had it it wasn't just bad breath. it was weapon's grade bad breath. Benny Hill breathing on the floral rug and making the flowers drop off bad.

The general after effect for me was very minimal. I've even got semi-funny anecdotes from my various times in the chair.

A second issue may not apply to everyone, but there is also a risk of wearing a sore spot on your tongue as you subconsciously explore the new layout of your mouth.
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Yes. Dry socket is the exception rather than something to be expected. It's just the most likely thing that go wrong after the procedure. The little blood-puddle can come out with the gauze, or it can be drawn out by smoking or using a soda straw.
    Or you can use mouthwash after the gauze comes out, because you were not given adequate instructions on resuming oral hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Or you can use mouthwash after the gauze comes out, because you were not given adequate instructions on resuming oral hygiene.
    I can't even imagine how much that would sting. Hopefully the Novocaine hadn't worn off yet, because yikes.
    I'm Not Evil.

It's an upper molar, second from back. Tooth number 3, I think. (It's second from back because number 1 was presumably a now-missing wisdom tooth.) I'm going with the root canal rather than extraction, simply because the gap scares me and I don't want a bridge or implant. $1450! Fortunately I can afford it. Unfortunately the dentist says it's only a 70% chance of success. He's booked up for a little while so I have a couple of weeks to change my mind.

Oh and the x-rays showed a 10mm pocket of infection! That's frighteningly large.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I am watching my wife's family not get along. Family events now feel like a swimming party in a shark tank.
    Solfe

Status update - my wife and her sister are fighting. Her Sister's ex is subjected to intermittent truces by the sisters which have to do with flogging the ex. Six family members are absent, yet they RSVP'ed and respond to texts in an irritating manner.

This is not the way to do a child's birthday party.
    Solfe

My younger sister won't be invited to Simon's first birthday party. I'm laying about an eighty percent chance that my mother will bring her anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    A second issue may not apply to everyone, but there is also a risk of wearing a sore spot on your tongue as you subconsciously explore the new layout of your mouth.
    I have that at the moment as I'm in the period between having the tooth shaped and the new crown being attached, so I have a temporary aluminum crown which my tongue keeps exploring, which is making the tongue rather sore because the temporary crown has a couple of not really round edges.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I have that at the moment as I'm in the period between having the tooth shaped and the new crown being attached, so I have a temporary aluminum crown which my tongue keeps exploring, which is making the tongue rather sore because the temporary crown has a couple of not really round edges.
    I worked up a delightful ulcer on the side of my tongue because of the unconscious exploration of the hole in lower left 7. (Incidentally, here in the UK, 1 is at the front, 8 is the wisdom tooth. My reading of another post seemed to indicate otherwise in the US. Am I right?)

A former boss and current friend whom I bumped into yesterday suggested Bonjela, which I had already thought of. I told her I once wrote a poem with the word "Bonjela" in it; the reader is tricked into thinking the next line will end with the words "Paul Weller" but in fact it ends with "Style Council".

I worked up a delightful ulcer on the side of my tongue because of the unconscious exploration of the hole in lower left 7. (Incidentally, here in the UK, 1 is at the front, 8 is the wisdom tooth. My reading of another post seemed to indicate otherwise in the US. Am I right?)
    Yes. In the US #1 is the upper-right back most tooth, then it counts up to the front and continues counting up to the backmost tooth on the other side. Then you drop to the lower teeth and increment going in the opposite direction for 17-32.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Yes. In the US #1 is the upper-right back most tooth, then it counts up to the front and continues counting up to the backmost tooth on the other side. Then you drop to the lower teeth and increment going in the opposite direction for 17-32.
    Thanks for clarifying, but it seems very illogical to have a number system like that when most people don't get their wisdom teeth until relatively late.

Update--measles that girl may or may not have had, but Simon definitely didn't get 'em.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Update--measles that girl may or may not have had, but Simon definitely didn't get 'em.
    That's good news.

Still, STILL almost no news coverage of the mass kidnapping in Nigeria. 200-plus kids are currently going through Hell, their families are suffering worse than mourning, and the media remains fixated on finding ways to say "we still don't know where that plane went down". Leave the dead to the dead, worry about the living!

Still, STILL almost no news coverage of the mass kidnapping in Nigeria...
    But Miley Cyrus was released. Oh wait, that's not a kidnapping, just a hospital stay.

I know what you mean. I can point to several reasons why this could be, but all of them would be controversial and unexcusable anyway.
    Let me just say it's the view of the country, the view of the factions, the feeling of "here we go again", and the apparent lack of wanting to get involved from the governments and media.

The reasons that the mass media have not reported widely on the Nigerian kidnapping is probably related to the reason there hasn't been much discussion of it on this board. And that's all I'll say about that.

It's also true, though, that there's no "mystery" behind the kidnapping. Pretty much everybody knows who did it, and why. People complain about CNN's continuing coverage of the plane crash even though nothing new has happened, but at least they're kind of talking about new theories and/or evidence.

With the kidnapping, they really would be just saying the same things over and over again, because there's really nothing additional that can be said about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    The reasons that the mass media have not reported widely on the Nigerian kidnapping...
    All good points, but I think there's another one to add to the list (if it's not part of your "that's all that I have to say".
    The poster child...
    With the latest swarm of tornadoes, I see stories that say X number dead. But; one or two people are singled out because some reporter thinks that they are either interesting or unusual.
    With Nigeria, they may not have found that person or family that's interesting enough (to them) to follow. Or it could also be that people there are scared of talking about it.

Or they don't speak English well enough for the tastes of the people making decisions.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    The reasons that the mass media have not reported widely on the Nigerian kidnapping is probably related to the reason there hasn't been much discussion of it on this board. And that's all I'll say about that.
    That's never stopped them before.

It's also true, though, that there's no "mystery" behind the kidnapping. Pretty much everybody knows who did it, and why. People complain about CNN's continuing coverage of the plane crash even though nothing new has happened, but at least they're kind of talking about new theories and/or evidence.

With the kidnapping, they really would be just saying the same things over and over again, because there's really nothing additional that can be said about it.
    That, too, has never prevented the news from covering a story.

Several dozen girls are reported to have escaped the kidnappers. Their stories would be newsworthy IMO.

Several dozen girls are reported to have escaped the kidnappers. Their stories would be newsworthy IMO.
    Now that the MH370, Ferry, Tornado, Ukraine, Sterling, etc. stories are settling down, I'm starting to see an uptick in Nigerian coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Now that the MH370, Ferry, Tornado, Ukraine, Sterling, etc. stories are settling down, I'm starting to see an uptick in Nigerian coverage.
    When they get around to it, yes. If a similar act had happened in a Western nation it would be screaming headlines all the way, "The Crime Of The Century" and "The Shocking Tragedy That Gripped A Nation".

One of my pet peeves is data entry software in which most of the work is done at the keyboard, but some steps call for pointing and clicking on tiny targets with the mouse. A case in point is the program I am using as church financial secretary to enter the offering information for each contributor. There are fields for the contributor's name or offering envelope number, the check number, if any, the amount given, and the name of the ministry fund for which it is designated. I can advance from one field to the next and then on to the next contributor entirely from the keyboard by pressing the Enter key, which makes it quick and easy. However, to record whether the item was in the form of cash, a check, or something else such as a stock donation, I need to use the mouse to click on a tiny target for the type of payment. That would slow me down big time, but I get around it by entering each item as cash because our pastor, treasurer and finance committee don't care about this detail. All they care about is the total amount received and making sure each contributor gets an accurate statement for tax purposes.

I would much prefer that the cash/check selection function be done with a field that becomes a drop-down menu when accessed from the previous field with the Enter key, with the selection to be made with the up/down scroll keys. I would wish the default selection to be user-defined for the most common type, which usually is checks, and that the following check number field be automatically bypassed if cash is selected, to keep me from accidentally typing the amount of the contribution in it. I welcome any comments from experienced software designers on the pros and cons of my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    One of my pet peeves is data entry software in which most of the work is done at the keyboard, but some steps call for pointing and clicking on tiny targets with the mouse.
    I regularly use a database designed by my boss, who is not a touch typist, and run into that kind of problem all the time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

When they get around to it, yes. If a similar act had happened in a Western nation it would be screaming headlines all the way, "The Crime Of The Century" and "The Shocking Tragedy That Gripped A Nation".
    Yep; the shock goes up the more unusual it is for a culture. Nigeria isn't exactly high on the list of human rights.

I think the tragic story is that things like that keep happening there, not just this one incident.
    Besides, the Western world thinks of that country as those who give us the 419 scam.

Is it fair or just? no. But; I see it as understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I would much prefer that the cash/check selection function be done with a field that becomes a drop-down menu when accessed from the previous field with the Enter key, with the selection to be made with the up/down scroll keys. I would wish the default selection to be user-defined for the most common type, which usually is checks, and that the following check number field be automatically bypassed if cash is selected, to keep me from accidentally typing the amount of the contribution in it. I welcome any comments from experienced software designers on the pros and cons of my idea.
    That's going to depend on the technology behind the choice.

In most systems where you progress with tabs, the radio button selection can be changed by moving the selectino with the arrow buttons.