Page 75 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3833

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Still not really buying it, honestly.
    Ineffective advertising then

Right now I can't sleep and if I do go to sleep I probably sleep most of the morning away and the afternoon calls for showers and thundershowers.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2016-Sep-21 at 02:28 AM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I suffered from significant insomnia for years - almost my entire adult life - until a few years ago. At that time, for various reasons I started having almost no trouble falling asleep. In fact, last year I had a sleep study done and they discovered I was falling asleep TOO easily. But during the last few weeks, my insomnia has returned. It's gotten particularly bad the last week or so, and I've been getting very little sleep. What sleep I do get is not restful. I am trying to tell myself I don't know why, but I think part of it is current events: the state of the climate, my parents' health, election season, etc. On top of that (and probably partially because of it), my fibromyalgia has gotten much worse, and I had a major flare of symptoms the other day. The annoying icing on the cake is this ridiculous move at work to another building. That's happening this week, and it into an inferior building 20 minutes further away from home. The silver lining is that my migraine and cluster headache mitigation is still mostly working. My current regimen has been limiting them to 1 or 2 per 2 weeks (thought I did have a massive one the other night). If they return to their previoius 5-6 per week I think I might just give up.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

Take care.

I just discovered, on Twitter, that @starstryder has me blocked.

I dont even remember any interaction with her on that medium. So I have no idea as to why I am blocked.

I post so rarely, Im astonished that I managed to offend anyone.

Kind of makes me sad.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Take care.
    Yes. Hope things settle down CJSF
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks, publisur and Swift. Things are marginally better now.

TJMac, have you had interactions with her elsewhere? Maybe she mis-associated your twitter handle with someone else.

I've noticed, over the past few years, an increase the number of people who will turn LEFT on red lights (after "stopping") when the oncoming lane is clear. This, as far as I know, is expressly illegal. I don't know any jurisdiction that allows it. It's gotten so bad at times that when I'm waiting at a red left-arrow, I've had the driver behind me blare his or her horn at me to GO when the oncoming lane is clear. That's as may be, but there's no way I am doing it.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I've noticed, over the past few years, an increase the number of people who will turn LEFT on red lights (after "stopping") when the oncoming lane is clear. This, as far as I know, is expressly illegal. I don't know any jurisdiction that allows it.
    There are very limited jurisdictions, in very limited circumstances, where it is allowed. For example, at out airport, there is a one way exit road out of the parking garage that exits onto a one way road, going from the driver's right to left. You are allowed to make a left-turn on red there (after stopping and making sure it is clear) - there is a big sign explaining that. I've seen a few others like that over the years. But it is very limited.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've seen intersections with a red blinking arrow to indicate left turn after stopping is allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I've noticed, over the past few years, an increase the number of people who will turn LEFT on red lights (after "stopping") when the oncoming lane is clear. This, as far as I know, is expressly illegal. I don't know any jurisdiction that allows it. It's gotten so bad at times that when I'm waiting at a red left-arrow, I've had the driver behind me blare his or her horn at me to GO when the oncoming lane is clear. That's as may be, but there's no way I am doing it.
    My jurisdiction is one of those Swift mentioned but it would seem they are not so uncommon. From DrivingLaws.org: "Alaska is one of 41 states that allow left turns on red provided both the origin and destination streets are one way."
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The USAF jets that practice around here, man are they annoying. I hear them all day long and when I go out to watch I can never spot them. They need to be practicing between about 4,000 and 8,000 feet right over Curlew lake, not skulking around in the hills around here. I did manage to catch sight of one fighter barreling right over Curlew Lake then taking a sharp turn up a valley, the sense of power was incredible. I'd probably puke, but I'd love to go for just one ride in a jet fighter.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    The USAF jets that practice around here, man are they annoying. I hear them all day long and when I go out to watch I can never spot them. They need to be practicing between about 4,000 and 8,000 feet right over Curlew lake, not skulking around in the hills around here. I did manage to catch sight of one fighter barreling right over Curlew Lake then taking a sharp turn up a valley, the sense of power was incredible. I'd probably puke, but I'd love to go for just one ride in a jet fighter.
    That's the way it was around Upper Marlboro, MD, in the mid-1950s, when interceptor exercises were operating out of nearby Andrews AFB.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My jurisdiction is one of those Swift mentioned but it would seem they are not so uncommon. From DrivingLaws.org: "Alaska is one of 41 states that allow left turns on red provided both the origin and destination streets are one way."
    Definitely NOT the case here any of the times it's happened to me.

No blinking red either.

CJSF

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That's the way it was around Upper Marlboro, MD, in the mid-1950s, when interceptor exercises were operating out of nearby Andrews AFB.
    There was one clear day in late August when we could clearly see them. The conditions must have been right because the fighters were making contrails and the curls and spirals were all over the sky. It was a couple of miles from where I am now that a B-52 buzzed right over my house back in the early 1990s.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Yeah, but plenty of people miss the caveat, as CJSF says.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, but plenty of people miss the caveat, as CJSF says.
    Heh...plenty of people behind the wheel miss plenty more than that...and I see plenty of examples during my 31-mile work commute.

Oh...and I mentioned in the "happy" thread that I started final carcass assembly of my current woodworking project. They annoying part is that I've been doing it with a whopper of an arthritis-induced neck ache.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I think I just logged out of Facebook for the rest of the election cycle. I need less maddening friends.
    Solfe

My friends are mostly fine. It's their friends who seem to be idiots.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My mother joined facebook in may and a few of her american keeps sending her stuff that supports a certain candidate.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I am continually annoyed by my own brain glitches. Today I went to our nearby military installation to get some stuff at the PX and the commissary. Since the band on my old cheap watch was broken, I decided to look at watches at the PX. When I got there I found that replacement bands are readily available for watches like mine, in several widths. That was great, because the watch is very accurate. Lo and behold I did not have the watch, so I could not tell which band to get. At least I paid for the gas on the 13-mile round trip by getting two pairs of shoes and some groceries for deep military discounts.

I had a couple of ferry rides today, making a trip to Chez Skyward to pick up my poor, lame, broken catapult. No food service on the ferry today because the Washington State Ferry system, in its (far less than) infinite wisdom, decided to fire the small, local, family owned company that was doing it and bring in some big multinational corporation. Thereby putting the small company out of business. That's the same small company that stepped up about 10 years ago after the previous big corporate supplier suddenly abandoned them and left the ferries without food for about a year.

I've never been impressed with WSF management, and am even less so now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    A friend was wandering through a field in Wisconsin and was surprised by B-52 doing about 300 kts at about 300 ft off the ground.

Considering that "agile" is not a term applicable to the BUFF, and, even better, they did not have hydraulically-assisted controls, this is probably not for the faint of heart.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Gotta be careful with the Buff. I saw a video of a guy " Hot Dogging " a B-52 , got it sideways with a ridiculous bank angle and lost it....
    terrible crash. Heavy stuff is just that.....Heavy .

" Striker , don't make any wild control movements. Your not in a fighter anymore ".

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Gotta be careful with the Buff. I saw a video of a guy " Hot Dogging " a B-52 , got it sideways with a ridiculous bank angle and lost it....
    If I recall correctly, the pilot was known to disregard safety rules/protocol and had been warned before to knock it off. You see where it got him (and others). I think that was at a airshow, too.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

If I recall correctly, the pilot was known to disregard safety rules/protocol and had been warned before to knock it off. You see where it got him (and others). I think that was at a airshow, too.

CJSF
    That pilot sounds like a clone of Lt. Philpott, a fighter pilot my dad knew of during World War II. This guy did some unauthorized stunt flying including buzzing the reviewing stand upside down during a ceremony at Lowry Field in Denver, CO. The commanding general was able to read the number on the plane and had the pilot and his squadron commander on the carpet about it immediately. The pilot was a loose cannon who just needed plenty of German or Japanese fighters to take on in a dogfight. He was the sort of pilot who could be tolerated during the war but who probably would have been mustered out in peacetime.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post

" Striker , don't make any wild control movements. Your not in a fighter anymore ".

CJSF
    Practicing for an airshow, at Fairchild Air Force Base near Spokane. The entire (dead) crew was pretty senior officers as none of the younger guys would fly with the idiot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_F...ase_B-52_crash

ETA: We've also seen a B-52 come whizzing by at very low altitude while we were driving through Kansas. It became even more impressive later when I learned they frequently did that with blackout curtains closed, navigating by grainy B&W video.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

While visiting my daughter at UCM, my wife was surprised by a B2 taking off from Whiteman AFB directly over their car. Too bad I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I had a couple of ferry rides today, making a trip to Chez Skyward to pick up my poor, lame, broken catapult. No food service on the ferry today because the Washington State Ferry system, in its (far less than) infinite wisdom, decided to fire the small, local, family owned company that was doing it and bring in some big multinational corporation. Thereby putting the small company out of business. That's the same small company that stepped up about 10 years ago after the previous big corporate supplier suddenly abandoned them and left the ferries without food for about a year.

I've never been impressed with WSF management, and am even less so now.
    Someone will still get a bonus for saving money though.

Quote Originally Posted by loglo View Post
    Somebody may have gotten a high-paying job with a multinational. When I worked for a company that will remain nameless but was founded by a Russian immigrant, the cafeteria was quite badly run (chicken sashimi is not a good idea) by, according to rumor, the corporate president's brother-in-law. As a bit of circumstantial evidence, that vendor was gone within a few weeks after the corporate president retired. Nepotism and favoritism beat sheer merit 9 times out of 10.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by loglo View Post
    I worked in a chemical plant some years back when an employee got a bonus for suggesting the plant replace all the (costly to rent) Xerox dry copiers with (cheap) Savin wet copiers. Problem was the wet copies stuck to each other which sometimes blurred the print, the pages curled, and you had to let the pages dry before you could write on them. No one really liked them and all the units asked for dry copiers.

The Savins were eventually replaced with Xerox copiers, but the employee kept his bonus.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board