Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ET UFO's

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    By saying you would be convinced by your own eye witness experience you automatically join the not to be believed club.
    This is probably approaching the beating-a-dead-horse stage, but I'm continuing the beating.

No, I did not say I would be convinced by my own eye witness experience; I said it was possible. But I also said it was highly unlikely - highly unlikely that I will experience such an event, and that it would convince me.

But I've also learned that making absolute claims about one's future behavior ("Oh, I'd never fall for that!"), tends to get one in trouble. I don't think people really know how they will react to a completely unknown situation till they experience it. I also felt that by making an absolute claim about my possible reaction to such a thing, that my own eyewitnessing wouldn't convince me, I was unfairly invalidating Copernicus' experience.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This is probably approaching the beating-a-dead-horse stage, but I'm continuing the beating.

No, I did not say I would be convinced by my own eye witness experience; I said it was possible. But I also said it was highly unlikely - highly unlikely that I will experience such an event, and that it would convince me.

But I've also learned that making absolute claims about one's future behavior ("Oh, I'd never fall for that!"), tends to get one in trouble. I don't think people really know how they will react to a completely unknown situation till they experience it. I also felt that by making an absolute claim about my possible reaction to such a thing, that my own eyewitnessing wouldn't convince me, I was unfairly invalidating Copernicus' experience.
    I don't believe in beings from other planets being here either. I just think the distance is way too far from other solar systems for other intelligent life to make it here and unlikely that intelligent life on other solar systems, would match up in time periods with our intelligent life. I just think it was some special military object.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

I also have never seen tornado in person. But they are extremely well documented, there is plenty of physical evidence for them, and they are well explained by science. There is nothing extraordinary about believing in tornadoes. Actually, I don't "believe" in them, it is not a question of belief; I clearly understand that they exist.
    A believer in the UFO Extraterrestrial Hypothesis once asked me why I believe in Antarctica, given that I had never seen it.
    I pointed out that I had actually seen it, but would believe in it even if I hadn't because the "Antarctica Hypothesis" has great explanatory power - its consistent application explained many reports and images that would otherwise be inexplicable, and it makes useful and checkable predictions about what people will experience and observe if they travel to high southern latitudes. The problem with the ETH is that there is no unitary version with explanatory power - it's in a constant state of modification, complication and obfuscation, as its proponents attempt to bend it into some useful form.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I at least understand your point. I have seen many UFO's in the past. Few of years ago, I saw a brilliant orb in the sky. It was night, it was bright it was clearly distant not close. It moved in unexpected ways and was completely silent and then it vanished without trace. This is an archetype for UFO sightings. Immediately, I reported it to MUFON.

The hell I did. The first actions I took were to crank up my radios, wheel out my binos and PAY ATTENTION. Turns out it was a copper chopper chasing some perp something like 25 miles away.

I can totally see how the gullible would have classed that as a "UFO" incident. It was silent, That couldn't possibly a chopper. Baloney. Jets 5 miles up are inaudible, chopper 25 miles away is going to be. And I have a side hobby of photographing aircraft anyway, often in motion, so I have a tad more experience, and I have had a copper chopper directly over my home so I know how bright that thing is (they were apparently chasing some crim, I don't know details, but there were a row of three cops perched on my back wall, 1 chopper and five vehicles. Perp did the garden hurdle, I got unlucky. In out and gone sprinting)

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    I at least understand your point. I have seen many UFO's in the past. Few of years ago, I saw a brilliant orb in the sky. It was night, it was bright it was clearly distant not close. It moved in unexpected ways and was completely silent and then it vanished without trace. This is an archetype for UFO sightings. Immediately, I reported it to MUFON.

The hell I did. The first actions I took were to crank up my radios, wheel out my binos and PAY ATTENTION. Turns out it was a copper chopper chasing some perp something like 25 miles away.

I can totally see how the gullible would have classed that as a "UFO" incident. It was silent, That couldn't possibly a chopper. Baloney. Jets 5 miles up are inaudible, chopper 25 miles away is going to be. And I have a side hobby of photographing aircraft anyway, often in motion, so I have a tad more experience, and I have had a copper chopper directly over my home so I know how bright that thing is (they were apparently chasing some crim, I don't know details, but there were a row of three cops perched on my back wall, 1 chopper and five vehicles. Perp did the garden hurdle, I got unlucky. In out and gone sprinting)
    Uum what is a "copper"chpeer?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Uum what is a "copper"chpeer?
    A police (copper) helicopter (chopper).

British slang.

Unless the eyewitness is me, eyewitness testimony by itself will never convince me of ETIs.
    And honestly, even if the eyewitness were me, it would have to be a remarkable encounter for me to persuaded. I know how easy it is to misinterpret something seen in the sky, even if I'm the one seeing it. Even if I weren't able to explain it, I'd assume that whatever I saw more likely had some mundane explanation than an extraterrestrial visit. Lights wouldn't do it; it would have to be close enough for me to see a spacecraft, and even then, I'd be more likely to assume an experimental human craft of some kind, unless I actually saw aliens or something else incontrovertible.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    A police (copper) helicopter (chopper).

British slang.
    Duh, of course I was thinking of the color for the chopper.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Duh, of course I was thinking of the color for the chopper.
    Thanks
    Those do exist in the UFO world. You have to fly in a copper chopper for at least five years before you get to be in a black helicopter.