Thread: Darwin One - a crowdsourced space mission

Darwin One - a crowdsourced space mission

Hello,

I am new to the forums. I came across this and thought you guys may be interested. I hope it is fine to post. It is a proposed mission to Mars.

http://willthisfly.net/projects/13/

Thank you

GL

Quote Originally Posted by GustavLoog View Post
    Hello,

I am new to the forums. I came across this and thought you guys may be interested. I hope it is fine to post. It is a proposed mission to Mars.

http://willthisfly.net/projects/13/

Thank you

GL
    It sounds intriguing. The difficult thing would be getting the resources to make this happen. We're talking about spending millions of dollars in simply avionics and navigation equipment alone. Then you have to talk about structural integrity, fuel, ALSE (Airframe Life Support Equipment) power-plant & propulsion and fail-safes that would need to be in place to make this thing safe enough to fly. Can't short cut there and it is very, very research and design intensive.

The funding has to be in place already to get this to work. If it is there when it starts... great idea! Otherwise, you have to cut corners and when you're in aviation or aerospace, that is the last thing anyone wants to do. I would be interested though.
    In my search for knowledge I know I don't have the answers. Instead, I'm constantly asking the questions "Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?"

It is one of the most unusual idea which is requires a strong will power and dedication and it is good that it will be used without the government funding but at the same time hard to raise the funds also.

It's great to see someone taking non-funded space travel seriously, but i don't know how they're going to raise that type of money independently.. even with fundraising. Plus, in terms of fundraising for it, id far rather see people's taxes being used to fund a mission like this instead of people's "spare" cash, since this "spare" cash would be better off going to charity here on Earth imo! vaporizers at bestxforsale.weebly.com/vaporizers.htmlbongs for saleMarijuana Seeds For Sale Reviews - Best Cannabis Seeds For Sale - bestxforsale.weebly.com
    Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah; 2014-Jul-05 at 11:56 AM.

I don't think that this thing is serious. It's just another internet person claiming they have a better idea with no plans, ideas, or clues as to why it could be so hard. Or, it's just a way to get attention or praise.

I'd like to know where they get all these positive votes from. 180 from naive people and lobbying freinds and relatives wouldn't be too hard to achieve especially on a site that you have to create an account on. Already, you've limited voting to those people that go for this kind of thing.

In fact the whole website that this is on doesn't impress me. No background, no description of the whos, whys or goals of the site, etc. Things you would expect in an "about us" page. Just a few random ideas posted over the course of over 6 months with very little participation.

Why Darwin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
    Why Darwin?
    I would say it's the award they're hoping to win.

The website and, presumably, the idea are dead. The thread was almost there too.