Thread: Slate's changed UI, no more comments for Phil?

Slate's changed UI, no more comments for Phil?

It looks like with Slate's latest revamp to their site's U.I. last week, the Bad Astronomer's blog posts no longer have a way to post comments about them. (Slate's new look allows for a dark magenta "comments" button at the bottom of a blog post, next to the share buttons for Facebook and Twitter -- but Phil's blog posts don't have this dark magenta button.)

Was that Phil's choice, or did this just slip through the cracks?

It's working for me. Are you running NoScript or something similar?

Nick

Hrm ... no, I'm not running anything out-of-the-ordinary. I'm using Internet Explorer 10 with (as far as I know) no modifications.

Are you seeing the dark magenta button Slate talks about?

EDIT: Oh, wait ... do I need to sign in somewhere before the "comments" button becomes visible? I don't see any obvious place to sign in.

EDIT AGAIN: AHA, I see the comments button! You have to click on the blog post itself to go to its "dedicated page" before you can even find out IF there are any comments on it.
    Last edited by tracer; 2013-Oct-02 at 04:56 PM.

Comments are there but you have to look for them. You have to click on the individual post header and then there's a small little thought balloon icon for comments, down with the twitter and facebook ones. If you have an account, you can presumably sign in there. I, however, cannot since Slate gave my username to someone else and I refuse to change it. The comments on Phil's blog tend to just make me sad anyhow.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

From Nick Theodorakis in the Past, Present, and Future thread: (Moved here to let that one get back on topic)

The sorting is an improvement, although the clunky way to read comments is not. That may be a condition of the service (livefyre?) that hosts the comments, however.

The articles in Slate run the gamut from from brief, poorly thought (or written) blurbs to longer, thoughtful pieces. Many of the science articles are actually not bad.

Nick
    Not bad, in fact pretty good, describes nearly all of Phil Plait's. I still like his writing, even though I complain frequently about his abandonment of this board. The comments, especially on his AGW and other such posts, on the other hand....

I'll have to check some other science posts in Slate.

Not sure why the board software decided to italicize everything in Nick's post after "Slate", which was the only italicized word in the original.

ETA: Once saved, it's italicizing everything in Nick's quote. It was NOT that in the edit window, nor even right now!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    From Nick Theodorakis in the Past, Present, and Future thread: (Moved here to let that one get back on topic)

Not bad, in fact pretty good, describes nearly all of Phil Plait's. I still like his writing, even though I complain frequently about his abandonment of this board. The comments, especially on his AGW and other such posts, on the other hand....

I'll have to check some other science posts in Slate.

Not sure why the board software decided to italicize everything in Nick's post after "Slate", which was the only italicized word in the original.

ETA: Once saved, it's italicizing everything in Nick's quote. It was NOT that in the edit window, nor even right now!
    This one is pretty good, the science is reasonable, and he has a certain way to turn a phrase ("..tedious stretches where Mother Nature held her fingers down on the keyboard").

Nick

Nice wording.