Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Report problems for the Build Team

I suspect the hive mind of Cory-Joe-Pamela have things documented internally, but I haven't been assimilated into that part. Yet...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry I've been in a hole trying to get something working and haven't looked out for a while.

The preview problem was fixed by merely updating PHP and VBulletin to the latest versions. VBulletin had an issue with us using a later version of PHP than they liked, and they released a patch fixing that. That fixed quite a few other issues as well.

I tried fixing the post reporting for a few hours but couldn't get it figured out. Next time I'll try some PHP software to see what lines of code are taking what percent of the time, but it'll take quite a while to set up, so I'll likely be waiting until I don't have anything major to do.

Have you considered if the reporting problem may be a side-effect of the board's inability to send mail?
    If it's sitting waiting for a timeout somewhere, trying to e-mail the moderators about the report?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I used the report function yesterday or the day before for a minor issue (typo in a post title) and it was fine. Just slightly slow.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Have you considered if the reporting problem may be a side-effect of the board's inability to send mail?
    If it's sitting waiting for a timeout somewhere, trying to e-mail the moderators about the report?
    Yes, email related possibilities have been considered and investigated again and again.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Report button is back to "glacial. I just waited 3 minutes for a report to go though; that little turning circle is hypnotic...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    yep - about 2 minutes..

Image uploads are buggered again.

Uploading from a local file just says "Upload of file failed.", uploading from a URL fails with "This is not a valid image file."

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

How come i can't post my avatar up or my profile pic?. This all i keep getting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cosmo.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	18826

Quite a few posters had birthdays, today, or did they? (cue ominous music)

edit to add...and they all seem to be turning 23...hmmm.

The last time this happened, the vast majority were 27.

Well, subtract nine months and you know what they say... "spring, when a young man's fancy turns to breeding future spammers".

We get these once in a while and a lot of these never end up posting, so we don't pick them up until something like this. If I get bored later I'll clean them out (unfortunately you have to do it one at a time).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Mossplanktor View Post
    You just need a few more posts. I don't know the exact number but you have to have a couple more to be allowed those things. Not a lot!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Originally Posted by Mossplanktor
    You just need a few more posts. I don't know the exact number but you have to have a couple more to be allowed those things. Not a lot!
    What Trebuchet said. It is part of our anti-spam measures. Once you graduate from "Newbie" you can add an avatar.

Thanks guys.

Report problems for the Build Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mossplanktor View Post
    How come i can't post my avatar up or my profile pic?
    One of our spam control measures is to limit the privileges of brand new members until they get a few posts under their belt. Hang in there and continue posting. It won't be long.

ETA: Dang. Beaten to the punch again.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ETA: Dang. Beaten to the punch again.
    By over 4 days even

I remember when I finally had enough posts for an avatar. It was like winning a prize.

Sorry for being away so long. I'm having a weird month, and I'm now playing catchup on ALL THE THINGS.

Oh, also, we're moving! In physical space, not internet space. We've spent the last few weeks packing up our ENTIRE department and STEM Resource Center and offices and computers and the like. Finally this week, I was sitting on the floor checking my voicemail b/c my desk was gone but my phone wasn't. And there was no space for weekly meetings because... boxes. Anyway, we're supervising the movers/moving our stuff over the next few days. I'm SO looking forward to an office above ground.

Cory and I will probably be moving computers tomorrow or Friday, so I can pass along any outstanding problems in person.

Image uploads are buggered again.

Uploading from a local file just says "Upload of file failed.", uploading from a URL fails with "This is not a valid image file."
    Somehow this resolved itself.

Ignore of people doesn't work.
    There's a person on my ignore list that I still see every post of, and frankly I'd much prefer not getting tempted to reply to those posts as it's impossible for me not to be snarky about it.

ETA scratch that, adding him again worked, though interestingly he's still only listed once in the list.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2014-Jan-03 at 09:42 PM.

ETA scratch that, adding him again worked, though interestingly he's still only listed once in the list.
    Probably just an incomplete record left over from the move conversion. I'd had to rebuild my own ignore list.

Hmm. For some reason I am unable to get to page 2 of the thread "Does the consumption of cow’s milk, cause damage to the human body?"

Correction: The "last post" link from the main Forum page takes me directly to page 2. The actual thread's first page, however, seems to only link back to itself. I tried every button on the Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next Last bar, no luck with any of them. I always stayed on page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Hmm. For some reason I am unable to get to page 2 of the thread "Does the consumption of cow’s milk, cause damage to the human body?"

Correction: The "last post" link from the main Forum page takes me directly to page 2. The actual thread's first page, however, seems to only link back to itself. I tried every button on the Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next Last bar, no luck with any of them. I always stayed on page 1.
    I cannot reproduce this, it goes to page 2 without any issues. At your time of posting the thread had 30 replies, and only one post on page 2 (assuming 30posts/page). Maybe one of the posters is on your ignore list? There is one deleted post on page 1, but that was about 12 hours before your post.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I cannot reproduce this, it goes to page 2 without any issues. At your time of posting the thread had 30 replies, and only one post on page 2 (assuming 30posts/page). Maybe one of the posters is on your ignore list? There is one deleted post on page 1, but that was about 12 hours before your post.
    My ignore list is empty at present; I checked again just now, and it's still the same for me, the main Forum page takes me to page 2, everything on page 1 and the Science and Tech page links me to page 1.

OK, I tried switching to Unicode and it worked: I was able to access page 2 from the S&T page.

Today at about 10 AM the forum slowed down; well over 1 minute to get to a page, including the main page.

Experiencing slow access, too, but seems to affect other sites also, if a bit less. Wonder if there's some general web shenanigans at work.

For a few minutes just now, I couldn't get on the forum at all; I kept getting a "This page cannot be displayed" error.

Test post

And this thread is back...

Please continue to add problems here and I'll make sure they get on the Build Team's to-do list.

Are there still problems with ignore list? Report post button?

Thanks for your patience, all.