Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: I am so old...

What is that new fancy thing called a telescope.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I posted right after writing was invented. Before that, we just talked to each other.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

On the day that memory evolved, I started telling kids about the good old days.

My commute to work kept getting longer and longer as Pangaea broke up.

I remember when houses did not have heating, because the earth hadn't cooled that much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I remember when houses did not have heating, because the earth hadn't cooled that much yet.
    Earth had a molten surface before it was cool.

See what I did there?

I remember when String Theory was the idea that computer programming languages could handle text as well as numeric data.

You know how it is, you JUST get the hang of an atlatl, and they introduce the bow.

I was in a galaxy far far away a long time ago.

I'm 20 days older than Mark Hamill who apparently lived a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Earth had a molten surface before it was cool.

See what I did there?
    "Why did the hipster fall through the ice" and all that.

I remember when the Martian canals were a couple of short ditches.

When carnivores evolved and I said, "There goes the neighborhood", I was right.

I remember when our national anthem was The Protostar Spangled Banner .

I remember when color television broadcasts would say so verbally so those with black and white TVs would know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I remember when color television broadcasts would say so verbally so those with black and white TVs would know it.
    I kinda remember that as well. My parents had friends that had money and they bought a color set, which meant we would get one soon. The screen resolution was not as nice as the b&w sets so I wonder if the color broadcast lowered this resolution on the b&w sets, hence justifying it with the announcement, perhaps?
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I kinda remember that as well. My parents had friends that had money and they bought a color set, which meant we would get one soon. The screen resolution was not as nice as the b&w sets so I wonder if the color broadcast lowered this resolution on the b&w sets, hence justifying it with the announcement, perhaps?
    TV signal at the time was analog, not digital, so there technically wasn't a horizontal "resolution" at all. Vertically, I can assure you the number of scan lines was exactly the same. TV sets couldn't upscale or downscale like they do now, so everything was standard. The addition of color was actually something of a hack itself, in order to allow the B&W sets to display it without issue.

If the picture was "fuzzier" on the color set, that was probably due to manufacturing differences.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Wait, you mean you have TV with colour? Wow. I am visiting USA tomorrow, I will check it out.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    TV signal at the time was analog, not digital, so there technically wasn't a horizontal "resolution" at all. Vertically, I can assure you the number of scan lines was exactly the same. TV sets couldn't upscale or downscale like they do now, so everything was standard. The addition of color was actually something of a hack itself, in order to allow the B&W sets to display it without issue.
    I assumed they went from one pigment to three (RGB) requiring more screen space, hence less resolution. Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I assumed they went from one pigment to three (RGB) requiring more screen space, hence less resolution. Is this not the case?
    Horizontally, possibly. The color screen needs to have three distinct phosphors repeating across the width, whereas a B&W screen is a single phosphor all the way across. Technically, then, a B&W screen would have an infinite horizontal resolution, whereas the color screen would be discrete. So it's possible the set you saw was manufactured with a relatively small horizontal resolution (perhaps for cost concerns), but I don't think there was any real technical issue with packing the phosphors densely enough to be unnoticable.

The vertical resolution had to stay at 525 scan lines per frame, otherwise the old TVs wouldn't display the signal correctly.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I'm so old I've personally OWNED a B&W TV. Not just my parents, me!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Horizontally, possibly. The color screen needs to have three distinct phosphors repeating across the width, whereas a B&W screen is a single phosphor all the way across. Technically, then, a B&W screen would have an infinite horizontal resolution, whereas the color screen would be discrete. So it's possible the set you saw was manufactured with a relatively small horizontal resolution (perhaps for cost concerns), but I don't think there was any real technical issue with packing the phosphors densely enough to be unnoticable.
    Yes, that seems to be something accomplished even from the beginning ( from here). They shrunk the b&w beam of 0.6mm to 0.2mm for color. The family that bought their color set in the earliest days would have likely purchased the best available, knowing them. Not so true for us but I still vaguely recall that our b&w had better resolution than their color set, but I may have been rationalizing and I wasn't very scientific at that time.

The vertical resolution had to stay at 525 scan lines per frame, otherwise the old TVs wouldn't display the signal correctly.
    Good point.

Thanks.

I'm older than the first Swanson TV dinner.

I sent an audition tape to the Pangaea Symphony Orchestra but I never heard from them. I guess their hollow log section was full.

Maybe your B&W (that is not Bowers and Wilkins) TV had better contrast than the early color one, which you interpreted as better resolution?

My first TV set had one pixel since that's all our eyespots could detect back then.

I remember the last ice age.

I remember when the Us had only 13 states.

I have been here for 14 years.

I remember when the young MacDonald kid took up gardening.