Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: I am so old...

I could have been rich if I had thought to buy real estate just before the inflationary period of the Big Bang.

Mrs. Howell looks better than Mary Ann.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Mrs. Howell looks better than Mary Ann.
    URRRRR???!?!
    Well; to be totally fair Ms. Schafer was an exceptionally elegant and delightful lady with a quick wit and boundless generosity; she had none of Dawn Wells' raw sex appeal but there are many kinds of beauty - now in my later years I can definitely see the attraction; so excellent point!
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2017-Aug-23 at 03:04 AM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

When I was young, the Great Barrier Reef was only the Pretty Good Barrier Reef.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was still alive when I was born. Does that make me a pioneer?

I remember when Fermat asked if I could give him a really wide piece of paper. I told him to use a book margin instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jfribrg View Post
    I remember when Fermat asked if I could give him a really wide piece of paper. I told him to use a book margin instead.
    That's wild (Wiles?)

Bela Lugosi was still alive when I was born, or at least still walking around.

I have the Windows 3.1 installation program on six floppy disks.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    gosh I remember the coronation, got a mug, but not the wedding, just celebrated as 70 years, I was one at the time, for the coronation many folks got their first TV, my parents did. Did you know the duke of E is said to have bought flowers for his wife, the Queen, that's what I am on about, every week? That makes me feel guilty, it's ages since I bought flowers. But then again, I'm not a duke.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

French first world war flying ace Renť Fonck was still alive when I was born.

I've used printers that didn't have true descenders.

My surfboard was 11’ and microwaves were terrible surf.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

That floppy disks where just beguinning to be mass consumed , where i was born(Chile) in 1989

Skickat frŚn min HUAWEI LUA-L03 via Tapatalk

I have an America Online 2.5 installation floppy disk, but I think I put other data on it since I got it.

I remember Churchillís funeral being broadcast on US television, when Telstar was launched, and when TV sets didnít have UHF channels.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I remember Churchill’s funeral being broadcast on US television, when Telstar was launched, and when TV sets didn’t have UHF channels.
    I remember driving from Bristol to London to walk past his coffin, we parked right outside the Abbey! you could not do that today. If I had that 30 GBP student car today (sunbeam Talbot 2 litre 1939) it would be worth more than me.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

I don't wish to insult you, but the Talbot 2 litre is not worth all that much actually. 20k pounds in very good condition. Which, granted, is quite a bit more than 30 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I don't wish to insult you, but the Talbot 2 litre is not worth all that much actually. 20k pounds in very good condition. Which, granted, is quite a bit more than 30 quid.
    OK I accept it's not like a D type or Hispano butwas very nice at the time, aluminium head, I remember a spark plug jumping out and making a dent when "someone" had overtightened it and stripped the thread. After that I had two sunbeam talbot convertibles and for a while a mark 3 post war a bit like the early tiger. All gone now. It's sad that really quite minor MOT failures often finished off those cars, they had so little value. Thinking back there was also an MG y type, that was fun too.
    sicut vis videre esto

Churchill was chancellor of Bristol University and there is a Hall of Residence named after him. I remember two MG TDs , (or was it one and a Morris 8?) popular with wealthier students, crashing rather badly outside that Hall. No insult by the way, I'm sure I'm not worth that much in spare parts.
    sicut vis videre esto

suitable for a funeral?
    (image of car)
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...8Fh65IVe3PGTM:
    sicut vis videre esto