Page 83 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2857

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So someone had apparently wanted their ashes scattered up here, which is a sentiment I can understand. What I don't get is that someone had taken the trouble to honour this last wish by carrying the urn and its contents a few miles over rough ground, but had then just dumped the container on the hillside - in a wild and pretty spot that was obviously dear to the heart of the deceased.

Grant Hutchison
    We were in the foothills of the Himalayas recently and on a walk near the hotel and came across one of the hotel water bottles thrown into the trees. So someone who had travelled there, took a bottle (liveried up) from the hotel and threw it away in the very scenery they were there to see.

From my hotel room window just now, I can see a seagoing-type barge with a boat that pushes it. For some reason they call that a "towboat".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    We were in the foothills of the Himalayas recently and on a walk near the hotel and came across one of the hotel water bottles thrown into the trees. So someone who had travelled there, took a bottle (liveried up) from the hotel and threw it away in the very scenery they were there to see.
    Well, they had seen it, so the scenery no longer had any usefulness.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We were in the foothills of the Himalayas recently ...
    Nice. Which part?

Grant Hutchison

Shimla, we stayed at Wildflower one night and then in town near the Mall for two nights. A much bigger town than I expected. Wildflower was lovely, nothing like having breakfast on a terrace looking into the mountains. Add in the Memsabib's birthday and we were spoiled rotten.

Edit: apostrophe.
    Last edited by Heid the Ba'; 2017-Apr-02 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Well, they had seen it, so the scenery no longer had any usefulness.
    Indeed, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Shimla, we stayed at Wildflower one night and then in town near the Mall for two nights.
    Ah, not been there. We were in Kashmir, long ago, during a brief lapse in hostilities.

Grant Hutchison

I would heartily recommend Shimla. We spent time in the rural Punjab looking at the battlefields of 1965, the Mem's prefix is "long suffering", but Kashmir was just a bit racy at the moment. Turning up unannounced at border crossings near Amritsar is one thing, J & K is another.

Kashmir does look lovely, I'm jealous.

Oh well played DonM435.

I always get an odd feeling in the Trossachs . . .
    You should see a doctor about that.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You should see a doctor about that.
    Yeah, that was the joke. It's sometimes airy about the Trossachs when you're wearing the kilt. That sort of thing.

Grant Hutchison

I've got two for you this morning....

1. If the past tense of "Say" is "Said", shouldn't the past tense of "Play" be "Plaid"?

2. Our microwave. Specifically, its digital display. For a long time it would fail to illuminate random segments, leading to some odd looking numbers. Then for the past couple of years, it settled on not illuminating a couple of specific segments, so when it was supposed to say "end" it said "erd". A couple of weeks ago we had a power failure for a couple of hours. That's not uncommon here and has happened a good few times during the previous missing digits. This time, however, it came back on with different segments missing, notably the two right verticals of the minutes digit (for cooking) or hours digit (for time of day). And the lower dot of the colon. Any time it's 1:xx o'clock, it comes out really odd. I can understand segments going bad, but why did it change and the formerly missing segments now work?

I think I'll unplug it for a few and see if anything changes.

It seems that lately the battery-operated devices I've purchased run on an odd number of batteries--three being the most frequently seen integer. But my battery charger recharges in two pairs, so I always have one battery left over, laying around.

It's seems to be evolving into the hot-dog-bun, hot-dog packaging conundrum.

People who conduct personal calls with their mobile phones switched to speaker and held horizontally in front of their faces. Does that have a purpose, or is it one just one of those counter-productive, allegedly cool affectations like holding a pistol sideways?

It was brought to mind today because a woman nearly clipped me with her car, driving very fast down a narrow, winding, cobbled street. As I leapt out of the way I could see that she was the only person in the car and was chatting animatedly into her horizontal mobile phone.

Grant Hutchison

I think it is like the gun sideways, they see it on tv and think that is the best way to take the call. The thing is on tv the cameras have to pick up the sound so it probably makes sense there.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It might be because the external speakers are on the bottom edge of some phones, facing downward. (At least they are on mine.) So in a noisy setting, pointing the bottom edge of the phone toward your face improves the clarity of the other person's voice.

I don't have phone calls on speaker, but I notice that when I'm playing audiobooks out loud (no one else in the room, thank you), I can mute the sound entirely just by how I hold the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    It might be because the external speakers are on the bottom edge of some phones, facing downward. (At least they are on mine.) So in a noisy setting, pointing the bottom edge of the phone toward your face improves the clarity of the other person's voice.
    This. I'll sometimes cup my hand behind the speakers to focus the sound in a noisy environment, somewhat like the passive amplifiers you can find online. I don't think cell phone microphones are particularly directional but the perception that they are might also explain the practice.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I don't have phone calls on speaker, but I notice that when I'm playing audiobooks out loud (no one else in the room, thank you), I can mute the sound entirely just by how I hold the phone.
    Yes.

I also find that a smartphone is not well designed to hold up to your face and listen and talk like a regular headset. My old flip phone was much better for that. (I got a smartphone because that's what I got for my work phone, and they are paying for it)

I find it much easier to talk and listen to a smartphone using it "speaker" style.

But I don't do that in "public". The most public I might do that is walking down a pretty quiet street, and mostly do it sitting in my car (when I'm not driving) or in a room - some place others can't listen in on.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    From my hotel room window just now, I can see a seagoing-type barge with a boat that pushes it. For some reason they call that a "towboat".
    Interesting idnit. Probably a back formation, but websters lists "a group of barges lashed together and usually pushed" as one of the noun definitions of "tow"

My bank won't accept cash deposits without ID. You can submit a deposit slip, with your name and address and account information pre-printed on it, but they won't take it.

"What's this? You want to give me cash? Not without something to prove who you are, you won't. Get out of here!"

My bank won't accept cash deposits without ID. You can submit a deposit slip, with your name and address and account information pre-printed on it, but they won't take it.

"What's this? You want to give me cash? Not without something to prove who you are, you won't. Get out of here!"
    I think that "Never turn down money" used to be one of the First Rules of Business. Now they want to insist upon your doing it their way.

Money laundering. If the bank has no ID associated with a payment in to your account, and that payment becomes part of a criminal investigation, then you can deny all knowledge of the source and no-one can prove otherwise.
    Third party deposits have been a standard way to launder drug money for quite a while (there's a report here).

Grant Hutchison

people who make up stuff without any evidence and no matter if there is evidence to the contrary will bend it to fit their hypothesis.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    people who make up stuff without any evidence and no matter if there is evidence to the contrary will bend it to fit their hypothesis.
    Thus leaving them nothing but belief.

... while complaining about science being some kind of religion.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

There was some sort of dustup over "opinion" vs. "argument" in Elementary school aged science education.

I don't get it. If you are going to assume the children in kindergarten are going to grasp the scientific process, might as well use the big words like "argument".

I did a lesson plan where children were taught the difference between heterogeneous and homogeneous mixtures, we made several and then tested to see if they understood the concept. They were tested again a week later and a month later for retention. They did fine... and not one of them had an IQ over 86. Don't pull punches, just go for it. Present the idea first, and then modify if needed, not the other way around.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Sometimes higher IQ or the assumed higher IQ can be more of the problem to get a point across. Some people think they know more so they cannot ever think they were wrong.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Money laundering. If the bank has no ID associated with a payment in to your account, and that payment becomes part of a criminal investigation, then you can deny all knowledge of the source and no-one can prove otherwise.
    Third party deposits have been a standard way to launder drug money for quite a while (there's a report here).

Grant Hutchison
    One of the delights of being a Money Laundering Reporting Officer is that I can get two years in pokey for something someone else did. Which is why we don't accept cash and my minions have it beaten into them to get (and record) the necessary paperwork.

One of the delights of being a Money Laundering Reporting Officer is that I can get two years in pokey for something someone else did. which is why we don't accept cash and my minions have it beaten into them to get (and record) the necessary paperwork.

Ah! So you sort of have a grasp on how it feels to be on a furniture moving crew with a newby you don't know.

If you're on a moving crew in the U.S. you fall under that "Interstate Transportation" umbrella the Feds like to keep track of and that hate to see organized thievery of any form in the moving business.

What this meant to me and my co-workers was if somebody got caught pilfering while at the customer's house the entire crew is arrested and all the contents of everybodies house and home are inventoried and checked against a list of stolen goods by serial number.

(Inventorying the contents of most three bedroom houses, to an experienced person, takes less than four hours. Done it myself. Less time for smaller dwellings.)

Trust me, that really cheeses off your co-workers when Federal agents come over and inventory their homes because of something *you* did. Sort of kills that whole privacy cocoon one forms around one's homestead.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I know the auction company I work with requires criminal check for their full time employees. One time they hired a guy before they got it back and he had a long record. Also there was dust up with a couple of part timers like me. There are two woman who are married to each other and one knew him years ago and somehow he ended down here about an hour from his home and got hit by brown form one their daughters. need to say he did not work with them long.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

29. 2017-May-03, 08:20 AM

Destruction pf other peoples property. We have a log cabin on another piece which where some others in the family want to builds a house and wants it move anyway. But some people took it upon themselves do take it apart by smashing windows in it recently. You bored you can help me grow food or split wood, if you want to vent your anger I have a couple of buildings you help clean out and tear down. But since your a lazy whining spoiled little brat let the real grown ups do the job.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

On a more trivial note, what's with all the advert-owls lately? We've got at least three TV ad campaigns going right now with them (cheap eyeglasses, online college, antihistamine) and when I picked up a prescription the other day there were competing owls promoting the antihistamine and flu vaccination.