Page 101 of 117 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3483

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

People whinging about Elon Musk putting his car on the FH launch. And those saying stuff like "if it's real".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Valentine's cards with the message "For a Beautiful Daughter". That's just wrong.

Grant Hutchison
    Why? Are you limiting Valentines to only romantic love interests? I'll be sending some to our daughter, sons, DILs, granddaughter, cousin as well as my wife.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Valentine's cards with the message "For a Beautiful Daughter". That's just wrong.
    ...if you have two daughters and only one of them gets the "beautiful" card.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

At least it says “A beautiful daughter,” not “the beautiful daughter.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Why? Are you limiting Valentines to only romantic love interests?
    Yes, I am. It's been that way since Chaucer.
    I get why card manufacturers want to change that; I just don't get why anyone else wants to change that.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Yes, I am. It's been that way since Chaucer.
    I get why card manufacturers want to change that; I just don't get why anyone else wants to change that.
    Yes...but through his writing, Chaucer changed it from what it once was, so I don't think that's a very strong case for immutability. AIUI, it was indeed Hallmark and other card companies that pretty much invented the modern holiday, at least here in the U.S. Perhaps we should revive the Roman precursor?
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Yes...but through his writing, Chaucer changed it from what it once was, so I don't think that's a very strong case for immutability. AIUI, it was indeed Hallmark and other card companies that pretty much invented the modern holiday, at least here in the U.S. Perhaps we should revive the Roman precursor?
    Well, I didn't offer it as a case for immutability, just as an indication it had been that way for a long time. Me, I give cards for birthdays and Christmases.

The only reason I know these cards exist is because I was in the card shop today and a teenage girl held up the "For a Beautiful Daughter" Valentine card with an expression of alarmed disgust on her face and called to a middle-aged man nearby: "Hey, Dad! Do you want to get your laptop impounded by the police?"

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Me, I give cards for birthdays and Christmases.
    Pretty much the same here. I give the cards that keep me out of trouble with The Wife, kids, and grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Pretty much the same here. I give the cards that keep me out of trouble with The Wife, kids, and grandkids.
    I do birthday cards and Christmas cards because they provide useful labels for gifts. And given that my family has been progressively shutting down the whole gift-giving thing, that's probably not going to last, either. Yay.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I don't get why TV news organizations feel the need to place their reporters outside government buildings.
    It might make sense if there is an important case or legislation happening, but often there is no reason at all.

This evening, they had a reporter standing outside the US Capitol in the cold to report on what happened earlier in the day.
    It's not like anything important was going to happen while she was standing there... the legislators had gone home for the day.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I don't get why TV news organizations feel the need to place their reporters outside government buildings.
    It might make sense if there is an important case or legislation happening, but often there is no reason at all.

This evening, they had a reporter standing outside the US Capitol in the cold to report on what happened earlier in the day.
    It's not like anything important was going to happen while she was standing there... the legislators had gone home for the day.
    There's generally very little reason to place them anywhere outside the studio. But they do it anyhow.

At least it says “A beautiful daughter,” not “the beautiful daughter.”
    My wife has two sisters, and all three of them are pretty extraordinary in their own ways. My wife´s dad worked for a town and was a politically appointee. Very often, all kinds of politicians would show up for dinner or meetings. Some of them would play the ¨which daughter?¨ guessing game, as if they were old friends or distant relations. My wife didn´t like this game and would often gas them with ¨No, no, no. I´m the pretty one.¨ Usually, her sisters would be standing there for the punchline.

I am not sure what my wife got out that, but she still likes to pull such stunts. We play the ¨Would you still love me if...¨ game, which I was wise to before it started. I usually set myself up for it in front of her friends, which looks a lot like chicken with a freight train, but then run through these off the wall counter-questions, deliveried in a voice like a TV lawyer:

¨If you were x, what kind of beer would you drink?¨
    ¨Would you consider running for office?¨
    ¨Would you contribute to the save the wild life fund?¨

It´s good for about 30 minutes of laughs.
    Solfe

...weirder yet is why somebody trying to change it would throw in the "beautiful", which makes it look like not really changing it (just moving it into a place it shouldn't be).

I give cards for birthdays and Christmases.
    I don't give them or read them, for anything. It's a whole industry of complete pointlessness.

I once had a co-worker who found a computer program with which to create & print her own cards. Suddenly, cards started showing up at work for everything you could imagine, plus about half as many again for things you couldn't, and she'd start passing them around for everyone to sign. I told her that I wasn't going to do any more of them, then she still tried to push them on me a few more times, then I told her that if she brought one more to me I'd sign it with a message about how stupid all these cards were. She still brought me one more. I held a pen about a centimeter away from it, paused, looked up at her, and said "I told you last time what I'd do if I ever saw another one of these. Is that what you want me to do right now?" She said no, and I never saw another one. I don't know, but I don't think they lasted much longer with anyone else after that either.

Gewd gawd, cards are irritating

Ah, now.
    I've printed a few cards in my time. For unusual special events, I prefer to create my own card and inscribe it appropriately. I've done that maybe four times in my life.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

If they were an actual reporter they may have spoken to the legislators or their staffs earlier in the day, and just because the legislators have gone home doesn't mean those staffers, or the civil servants, have. If they aren't an actual reporter then they are getting cold simply for the optics of it.

I don't get why TV news organizations feel the need to place their reporters outside government buildings. ...
    Which reminds ...

When the TV networks interview a Senator or Congressman in the Capitol Building, they seem to do it most frequently in the statuary hall. (Each state can contribute two statues of famous persons from their state.) The one that is in the background most often is an easy one for me to recognize. It's a statue of Will Rogers, contributed by Oklahoma.

The irony is delicious.

Rogers had a fairly low opinion of Congress. At one point he was accused of making jokes about Congress. His response, loosely, was, "I don't understand the concern. When I make a joke, it's a joke. When Congress makes a joke, it's a law. And when they make a law, it's a joke."

Maybe the networks know this ...
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

17. 2018-Feb-09, 09:58 AM

I was in the wine aisle at Safeway yesterday buying a box of cheap plonk. Directly across from the cheap stuff, they have the locked case, where I noticed a bottle priced at $340!! Ok, I lie. $339.99. That would be $1359.96 for three liters like I got for about 1% of that price. Who the heck is buying that kind of product at Safeway?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was in the wine aisle at Safeway yesterday buying a box of cheap plonk. Directly across from the cheap stuff, they have the locked case, where I noticed a bottle priced at $340!! Ok, I lie. $339.99. That would be $1359.96 for three liters like I got for about 1% of that price. Who the heck is buying that kind of product at Safeway?
    Reminds of the old saw:

Sales Guy on the street corner hawking pencils with a sign that says "Pencils: $10,000"
    Pedestrian walks by and says "How are you going to make any money selling pencils for that price?"
    Sales Guy says: "I only need to sell one."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I saw an $800 purse at Costco the other day and had the same question, followed by, "Why do you need an $800 purse anyway?"

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I saw an $800 purse at Costco the other day and had the same question, followed by, "Why do you need an $800 purse anyway?"
    Who says it’s all about need?

I've long ago learned that many people have more dollars than sense.

I was just in the store again and looked to convince myself I really saw that $340 bottle of wine. I saw what I missed yesterday. It's on sale for that price, $50 off!

The only thing I've noticed since they been selling wine at the local grocery store is that they sell a blueberry wine from a local blueberry farm, but all this fuss over grape juice that burns.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've had a few blueberry wines that were truly delicious! Summer in a bottle

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    The only thing I've noticed since they been selling wine at the local grocery store is that they sell a blueberry wine from a local blueberry farm, but all this fuss over grape juice that burns.
    Burns your stomach? Because it's not inflammable unless it's been distilled a time or three.

Stuff I don't get: "Flammable" and "Inflammable" are synonyms.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I've had a few blueberry wines that were truly delicious! Summer in a bottle
    Maybe I will buy some as a present and bum a glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    So that you can have an $800 purse. Or so that you can show people that you are able to have an $800 purse.

I'm more puzzled about the wine. The law of diminishing returns sets in pretty quickly with wine when it comes to taste, and you certainly get less ostentation value from ordering a $5000 bottle of burgundy in a restaurant than you would if you spent the $5000 on jewellery or accessories. A lot of these wines are bought as investments, and are never intended to be drunk.
    The $300 wine on the supermarket shelf seems to lose out on both ostentation and investment opportunities, and it seems unlikely it's going to taste remarkable enough to merit the price tag. Puzzling.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I once read about a case in which someone "sacrificed" a century-old bottle of wine. It was still drinkable, but to nobody's surprise it had lost its bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I once read about a case in which someone "sacrificed" a century-old bottle of wine. It was still drinkable, but to nobody's surprise it had lost its bouquet.
    We "sacrificed" a fifty-year old burgundy a few years ago, and it was undrinkable - thin and astringent. Fortunately I hadn't paid for it. (It was a gift from a man who had bought an entire wine cellar from the estate of a French millionaire, "cheaply", and who had then sorted through it for choice items. On paper, the burgundy was "worth" a daft amount of money.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I had a high school french teacher who brewed some of his own beer with his brothers one winter. The put every the brew in barrel or bucket in a small pond until Easter and they called it their resurrection brew.