Page 126 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 3818

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

  1. #3751
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,320
    Why the retirement of a tennis player occupied about a quarter of the national and local BBC news broadcast this evening.
    Sure, he seems to have been an elite player who brought pleasure to a lot of people, I'm sorry he has a painful hip which surgery hasn't fixed, and I'm sorry this forced retirement is causing him distress.
    But the national coverage came over like an obituary, and the local coverage involved interviewing folk from his home town who said, pretty much, "He was an excellent tennis player" and "It's a shame he has a sore hip".
    Did nothing more important happen today?

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  2. #3752
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    8,175
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Why the retirement of a tennis player occupied about a quarter of the national and local BBC news broadcast this evening.
    Sure, he seems to have been an elite player who brought pleasure to a lot of people, I'm sorry he has a painful hip which surgery hasn't fixed, and I'm sorry this forced retirement is causing him distress.
    But the national coverage came over like an obituary, and the local coverage involved interviewing folk from his home town who said, pretty much, "He was an excellent tennis player" and "It's a shame he has a sore hip".
    Did nothing more important happen today?

    Grant Hutchison
    agreed there is obsession with sport on the BBC news programme but at least tennis makes a change from football. I have a feeling more did happen today. I use the BBC news app but they keep changing in favour of snippets with very little of the longer articles they used to have when first launched. It's a dumbing down.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  3. #3753
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,922
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Did nothing more important happen today?

    Grant Hutchison
    Well, here in the USofA, there's...no, can't talk about that. But there's...nope, not that either. Oh, SpaceX launched a rocket, and brought it back! Something good for a change.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  4. #3754
    Nope nothing like that happens in Canada for hockey players.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  5. #3755
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,689
    Volkswagen is running a TV commercial where a family lies to their kids' school about the death of a relative so that they can get out of class early and go to the amusement park.

    You remember Volkswagen... the company that recently got caught in a giant lying and cheating scandal.
    Who approved this marketing campaign?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  6. #3756
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,170
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Why the retirement of a tennis player occupied about a quarter of the national and local BBC news broadcast this evening.
    Sure, he seems to have been an elite player who brought pleasure to a lot of people, I'm sorry he has a painful hip which surgery hasn't fixed, and I'm sorry this forced retirement is causing him distress.
    But the national coverage came over like an obituary, and the local coverage involved interviewing folk from his home town who said, pretty much, "He was an excellent tennis player" and "It's a shame he has a sore hip".
    Did nothing more important happen today?
    I feel your pain. Yesterday on NHK, our equivalent of the BBC, I think that a fourth of the coverage was given to an Olympic wrestler who retired. Sure, she got three gold medals, but just as you said, there are lots of other important things going on.
    As above, so below

  7. #3757
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Volkswagen is running a TV commercial where a family lies to their kids' school about the death of a relative so that they can get out of class early and go to the amusement park.

    You remember Volkswagen... the company that recently got caught in a giant lying and cheating scandal.
    Who approved this marketing campaign?
    You could ask … but could you trust the answer?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  8. #3758
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Volkswagen is running a TV commercial where a family lies to their kids' school about the death of a relative so that they can get out of class early and go to the amusement park.

    You remember Volkswagen... the company that recently got caught in a giant lying and cheating scandal.
    Who approved this marketing campaign?
    I noticed that yesterday, and was going to post it here. There are lots of ads which, if you think about it, basically say "our customers are idiots". This one is "our customers are liars". Liars who don't really care about their children's education, at that.

    And then there's Acura, who are using "Sympathy for the Devil" in ads.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #3759
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And then there's Acura, who are using "Sympathy for the Devil" in ads.
    I figure that Acura is trying to cultivate some kind of "bad boy" image, given that the bad boy has been cool (at least) since James Dean.
    The VW ad, on the other hand, is simply repulsive.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  10. #3760
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    In the realm of ads, I don't get the current Dos XX beer ads, where they are the official beer that waters every NFL field (I think?).

    So basically you are telling us your beer is water.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  11. #3761
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,922
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    In the realm of ads, I don't get the current Dos XX beer ads, where they are the official beer that waters every NFL field (I think?).

    So basically you are telling us your beer is water.

    CJSF
    That would be Corona, I think. I miss the old Most Interesting Man In The World. So I've switched to Negra Modelo.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #3762
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That would be Corona, I think. I miss the old Most Interesting Man In The World. So I've switched to Negra Modelo.
    I looked it up - it is Dos Equis and it's the beer used to water every college football field. Either way (or either beer), isn't calling beer water like the most basic beer insult? There was an ad a few year ago where the bartender was using Bud Light (I think) to wash the glasses for whatever beer was advertised.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  13. #3763
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I noticed that yesterday, and was going to post it here. There are lots of ads which, if you think about it, basically say "our customers are idiots". This one is "our customers are liars". Liars who don't really care about their children's education, at that.

    And then there's Acura, who are using "Sympathy for the Devil" in ads.
    There are also quite a few ads that promote ditching work or school to goof off.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

  14. #3764
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    And in contrast to those ads, Kai, there's the ridiculous Ram truck ad that says "America's game is work." Yeah - that's something I've been seeing a lot on my Twitter feed from time to time - how much we have this culture of working to our graves here in the States compared to other countries. It's not a GOOD thing, Ram Truck. There's nothing wrong with hard work, but the idea that our worth is tied up in how hard we work (and then, by mutated proxy, how much we earn or our net worth) is a problem. But that gets into a whole other arena (i.e., not this thread).

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  15. #3765
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,320
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    And in contrast to those ads, Kai, there's the ridiculous Ram truck ad that says "America's game is work." Yeah - that's something I've been seeing a lot on my Twitter feed from time to time - how much we have this culture of working to our graves here in the States compared to other countries. It's not a GOOD thing, Ram Truck. There's nothing wrong with hard work, but the idea that our worth is tied up in how hard we work (and then, by mutated proxy, how much we earn or our net worth) is a problem. But that gets into a whole other arena (i.e., not this thread).
    Literally fifteen minutes ago, I read an item in New Scientist, in which people were asked to assess the status of various people, based on a short fictional biography. American respondents rated status as correlating directly with how busy the person was with their work; Italian respondents figured there was an inverse correlation.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  16. #3766
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,592
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I looked it up - it is Dos Equis and it's the beer used to water every college football field. Either way (or either beer), isn't calling beer water like the most basic beer insult? There was an ad a few year ago where the bartender was using Bud Light (I think) to wash the glasses for whatever beer was advertised.
    Similarly, the slogan "stay thirsty, my friends" implies to me "don't drink our beer."
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  17. #3767
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    I just finished my first week as a Renaissance (really, late Medieval) Fair "staff" member. I was in costume and had to "Faire Speake" my way around the crowds and such. I did have a blast, even though it was really hard work, all day, both Saturday and Sunday.

    What I don't get is the lewd/horrible songs and performances at the pub scenes. I don't just mean in the sense that there are "R" rated (or "TV-M") type materials out there. I mean there are people say and singing the most vile and pornographic and sexist and bigoted things on stage, but somehow it's protected and seen as funny. Some of it is sharp and terrible irony or satire - I get that (sort of). But much of it is so gross and awful, in any other area, it would be part of an ethics or harassment investigation. I understand that there's an implicit "consent" on the part of the audience, but I guess that's part of my point. I just don't get how it's "OK" even in this context to say and do such rude and horrible things or to want to be subjected to it as funny.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  18. #3768
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,922
    I haven't seen that at Gillian's Faire, but then again I was driving long distances and didn't go to the beer garden.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  19. #3769
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I just finished my first week as a Renaissance (really, late Medieval) Fair "staff" member. I was in costume and had to "Faire Speake" my way around the crowds and such.
    I don't think I would have been able to come up with lines for myself fast enough, so everything I said would have been preceded by a pause while I tried to calculate whether what I was about to say could be said in the right way and what the right way would be.

    Within my memory, I've only ever been to one place where staff were in character. It was a place that's often just called "Meow Wolf" and even says that on the outside of the building, but the Meow Wolf Consortium is actually the group that built & owns it, and the place's name is technically "House Of Eternal Return". The exhibit begins with what looks at first like an ordinary house, but as you explore, you find things getting weirder because, as the story goes, space & time broke in that house, so parts of other dimensions are intruding into it, so it's like being in the setting or on the set of a trippy sci-fi show. There's a lot more detail to find out to the background story if you want to, and clues scattered around, but you're also told before you enter that the people in white lab coats can answer questions for you. I overheard them talking to other visitors twice, and in one case, he was telling them about the limits on what he could say depending on what they asked. So part of his job was also to keep secrets, at least until people knew enough to ask the right questions. The other case was when somebody asked about a few things they'd noticed in different parts of the exhibit that had something to do with hamsters, and his answer began with "The hamster is a spy...". Meanwhile, one of the hints about the story is a paper note written from one member of the family that lived in that house to another, which ended by saying that they needed to write, not talk, because there are people in science coats listening to them. So the lab-coat staff were information sources, and secret-keepers, and enemy spies. Imagine everything you need to keep in mind to play that character! And, since there was no sign of the family but plenty of staff & visitors like me, but the family apparently could see at least some of us, this apparently was a haunted house as far as the family was concerned, and we were the ghosts haunting it. With all the freakiness in that place, it was a bit of an intrusion from the mundane when a bunch of lab-coat people came out in the afternoon with disinfectants to wipe parts of the exhibit that many visitors were likely to have touched. I suppose if you talked to them while they were cleaning, they'd still be in character, but I wonder what would have been the in-context explanation for cleaning things like a glowing musical mushroom in an alien forest.

  20. #3770
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,175
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There are also quite a few ads that promote ditching work or school to goof off.
    And quite a few car ads seem to encourage people to drive like sociopathic idiots.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  21. #3771
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,689
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    And quite a few car ads seem to encourage people to drive like sociopathic idiots.
    The very tiny print says, "Closed course, do not attempt."

    Oddly, they put this on all the commercials, even when the vehicles are simply driving down the road.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  22. #3772
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I don't think I would have been able to come up with lines for myself fast enough, so everything I said would have been preceded by a pause while I tried to calculate whether what I was about to say could be said in the right way and what the right way would be.
    We've been workshopping since July for this, learning aspects of theater and acting, along with character development, so it's not like it's all cold. But it was intimidating at first. I know I can't get the accent right yet, but we'll see how it goes in 2 weekends (I'm doing a birding festival this coming weekend, so will miss the Fair).

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  23. #3773
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,592
    I know there are "adults only" shows at our ale house, but I honestly don't know what they're like, as I've not gone to one. For one thing, they're during business hours, and I'm working. For another, they're in the ale house, which tends to be full of drunk people for some reason.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  24. #3774
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The very tiny print says, "Closed course, do not attempt."

    Oddly, they put this on all the commercials, even when the vehicles are simply driving down the road.
    We actually saw some filming of a car commercial near the Mt Baker (Washington) Ski Area about 20 years ago. We later saw the actual commercial. It was almost unrecognizable, except for some of the background.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  25. #3775
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I know there are "adults only" shows at our ale house, but I honestly don't know what they're like, as I've not gone to one. For one thing, they're during business hours, and I'm working. For another, they're in the ale house, which tends to be full of drunk people for some reason.
    The "pubs" in this Fair open onto the lanes, and the one our organizers run has a look through to the Joust Field, so many families just walk through if it's not full (during the earlier part of the day). But the lewd performances are happening then, so it's a bit weird. In any case, though, even for *adults* I find this entertainment quite troubling and gross. It's kind of like how I don't get the notion that improv gets a pass on similar issues for the sake of comedy. How is it ok to be terribly sexist and abusive in these situations?

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  26. #3776
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The very tiny print says, "Closed course, do not attempt."

    Oddly, they put this on all the commercials, even when the vehicles are simply driving down the road.
    Well, in fairness, they may be driving on a public road but they've probably closed it to other traffic. Also, it's a legal disclaimer to protect them when some idjit tries it and goes into a ditch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We actually saw some filming of a car commercial near the Mt Baker (Washington) Ski Area about 20 years ago. We later saw the actual commercial. It was almost unrecognizable, except for some of the background.
    I saw a news piece that said most of the "special acrobatic driving" commercials are really done with an airframe car and the commercial car is CGIed in later.

    That seems misleading. If I buy their car it won't do all those fancy maneuvers. But, they did tell me not to attempt them myself, so I guess it's okay.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  27. #3777
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,592
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    The "pubs" in this Fair open onto the lanes, and the one our organizers run has a look through to the Joust Field, so many families just walk through if it's not full (during the earlier part of the day). But the lewd performances are happening then, so it's a bit weird. In any case, though, even for *adults* I find this entertainment quite troubling and gross. It's kind of like how I don't get the notion that improv gets a pass on similar issues for the sake of comedy. How is it ok to be terribly sexist and abusive in these situations?
    Oh, that's a bad set-up. You can't even get into ours without being carded, and they've got high walls around them to keep them adults-only. As it happens, I agree with you that gross things don't become okay just because you label them comedy. I think it's possible to make comedy out of just about anything, but the more delicate the subject matter, the harder you've got to work.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  28. #3778
    For some reason at the last auction I got a new suitcase, well at least it is good place to store some stuff for now.

    Right now I am on cleaning sorting kick and I got into my head to see if old printer works.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  29. #3779
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,689
    Apparently, there is this thing called "cultural appropriation", and I don't get it.
    It apparently offends some people if you do something that can't be traced directly to your genetic heritage.

    If I open a food truck that sells Mexican food, but I'm not Mexican, it is somehow bad.
    Bob's Burgers is good, but Bob's tacos is bad?

    My neighbor, who was born in Korea, has this cool wide-brimmed hat that she wears while gardening.
    It would somehow be considered offensive if Mrs Extravoice wore a similar hat while gardening?

    I don't get it. At one point, the country in which I live was referred to as the great melting pot.
    Now, everyone has to be segregated into separate bins like those old-time TV dinners?
    Don't you dare mix your peas with your mashed potatoes?

    What am I missing?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  30. #3780
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Apparently, there is this thing called "cultural appropriation", and I don't get it.
    It apparently offends some people if you do something that can't be traced directly to your genetic heritage.

    ...

    What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything.

    If you ever have one of those nutters accost you, point out that the Latin alphabet they use came from the Romans, who mostly appropriated it from the Greeks, who borrowed from the Phoenicians, who in turn borrowed from the Egyptians.

    Our numbers come from the Arabs, who in turn appropriated an older version of them from India. India gave the world the number 0.

    The big eyes of Japan's anime came from Disney cartoons.

    It goes on and on. Everyone appropriates from everyone.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •