Page 107 of 120 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3592

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

  1. #3181
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Strong agreement or approval, in this case “I am also very frustrated by finals just as you are.”
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  2. #3182
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,954
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.

    Grant Hutchison
    I’m not really sure, it’s just something I’ve picked up from talking to people online.

  3. #3183
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’m not really sure, it’s just something I’ve picked up from talking to people online.
    I guess it could be better than some other things you could of picked up online.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #3184
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,425
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.
    I believe its origins are in hip hop culture. Which means I am not knowledgeable enough to explain the etymology.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #3185
    People who don't fix their exhaust pipes, thank of the person behind you in traffic.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #3186
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,425
    Yesterday, we were behind someone whose exhaust pipe was literally dragging on the road.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  7. #3187
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,730
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That phrase is something I don't get. I can't puzzle out how it came to exist, with that little "to the" in the middle disrupting all the meaning out of it. Is there an original context that popularized it, or is it one of those phrases that just mysteriously pop into existence?
    From context I thought I'd gleaned it was used to express strong approval of something good, but now you've blown that shred of knowledge out of the water (unless you're really into assignments and reading).
    "___ to the ___" comes from rap songs in which rappers would spell a word or phrase and use "to the" between letters as filler to make the spelling fit whatever rhythm they had in mind. Rap, like any poetry, normally makes use of the distinction between emphasized and unemphasized syllables, but there's no such alternation naturally built in to a series of letters, so this filler provided some syllables which could be de-emphasized for the letters' names to contrast with by being more emphatic, allowing the rappers to compose rhythms with a more natural speech-like series of syllables with two distinct levels of emphasis.

    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.

    In its more recent derivatives in plain speech instead of rap, you can just think of "to the" as indicating that the speaker is speaking with a Snoop-Doggish attitude... and is declaring that (s)he knows what order basic English phrases & sentences flow in (from the beginning "to the" end).

  8. #3188
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    "___ to the ___" comes from rap songs in which rappers would spell a word or phrase and use "to the" between letters as filler to make the spelling fit whatever rhythm they had in mind. Rap, like any poetry, normally makes use of the distinction between emphasized and unemphasized syllables, but there's no such alternation naturally built in to a series of letters, so this filler provided some syllables which could be de-emphasized for the letters' names to contrast with by being more emphatic, allowing the rappers to compose rhythms with a more natural speech-like series of syllables with two distinct levels of emphasis.

    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.

    In its more recent derivatives in plain speech instead of rap, you can just think of "to the" as indicating that the speaker is speaking with a Snoop-Doggish attitude... and is declaring that (s)he knows what order basic English phrases & sentences flow in (from the beginning "to the" end).
    Thanks for the explanation.
    So basically it's just "Hell, yes". Except the speaker is trying to claim some rap credentials while simultaneously undermining that claim by wimpishly avoiding mild swearing?
    I see. I think I'll give that one a body to the swerve.

    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-May-07 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Prioritize the thanks
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  9. #3189
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.
    I think he gets credit for "it's a doggy dogg world" too, beloved by canine memesters everywhere now

  10. #3190
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,586
    There is currently a Volvo commercial running in the US, where they clearly show the vehicle driving on American roads.
    A tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the screen says, "European model shown."

    Why not show the American model of their vehicle?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  11. #3191
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,601
    The teevee just said that next week the royal newlyweds will be attending a 70th birthday party for Prince Charles. "Wait a minute", I thought, "I think I'm a couple of months OLDER than him, and mine isn't until September". I was right, his birthday is November 14. I know I'm not anxious to rush that event!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #3192
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,645
    Who does he think he is, the bloody Prince of Wales or something!

    Oh ...

  13. #3193
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,586

    Stuff you just don't get.

    I dunno, having your birthday party early seems like tempting fate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  14. #3194
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,601
    Maybe Mum told him he could have her job when he turns 70.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #3195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Maybe Mum told him he could have her job when he turns 70.
    I half expected Her Majesty to step down once she had succeeded Queen Victoria's record of being the longest reigning British monarch. But Queen Elizabeth is made of sturdy stuff and like her mother I now expect her to pass the 100 years old mark, she probably will still be on the throne (health permitting).

    My best guess is she is aiming for 70 years reign before retiring.

    Though Charlie may not make the throne until he is 80 at this rate.

  16. #3196
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,586
    While on YouTube, I stumbled across a bunch of mini-documentaries discussing the relative merits of various military aircraft.

    They were produced by people whose names seemed like they were trying too hard to sound like legitimate sources - like “DefenseNewsToday”.

    What I don’t get is why they all use awful mechanical voice-to-text for narration.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #3197
    For some reason most days in the last couple of weeks I wake up at dawn or earlier and have to take a nap in the late morning/ early afternoon,
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #3198
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,181
    Putting a bumper sticker on the back of your car...lopsided.

  19. #3199
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    For some reason most days in the last couple of weeks I wake up at dawn or earlier and have to take a nap in the late morning/ early afternoon,
    I suspect you're mixing cause and effect. Maybe you should avoid the nap - you're just going to keep disrupting your sleep schedule if you keep sleeping during the day.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  20. #3200
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I suspect you're mixing cause and effect. Maybe you should avoid the nap - you're just going to keep disrupting your sleep schedule if you keep sleeping during the day.

    Grant Hutchison
    Unless you have a cure for a very anxious mind with a liking to caffeine it is not that simple.

    And before I was addicted to caffeine I had sleeping problems there were times in high school when I could not sleep at all. It was really bad in the last couple of years in high school when a very attractive and smart girl wanted to go out with me and one her friends was trying to help but they were idiots involved. You can be smart in one area and an idiot in another. One of the theories that keep being made about me is all I want is attention, no some attention makes worse for me. So some nights I would be all night wondering what would happen the next day. A few years ago I let my feelings about back then out and not in a really good way. I avoid the friend in this situation because I don't what her reaction will be but the worse thing she will do is shoot me in the eye with a water gun, again.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  21. #3201
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Unless you have a cure for a very anxious mind with a liking to caffeine it is not that simple.
    It never is that simple. But fixing the stuff you can fix often helps. And sleeping during the day is a pretty good way to cause disturbed sleep at night, unless you're actually Spanish.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  22. #3202
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    People who don't fix their exhaust pipes, thank of the person behind you in traffic.
    That would require a major paradigm shift: concern for the consequences of their actions. I also don’t understand loud exhausts on cars or motorcycles. Do they really think that makes those little peanut motors sound powerful?

    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  23. #3203
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,954
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    That would require a major paradigm shift: concern for the consequences of their actions. I also don’t understand loud exhausts on cars or motorcycles. Do they really think that makes those little peanut motors sound powerful?
    If I had a dollar for every person who goes blazing down Bleecker Street in the very early morning with one of those horrible super-loud engines on their motorcycle... it would probably cover a lunch at NYC prices. Bear in mind that my apartment this year was on the 10th floor.

  24. #3204
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,852
    Many bike riders think loud pipes are a safety feature, thinking it'll help car drivers be aware of them.

    Driving a car as well as riding a bike, I think that's rubbish.

    They're just being jerks. Here it's mostly HD riders. (So, often accountants.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

  25. #3205
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,230
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    That would require a major paradigm shift: concern for the consequences of their actions. I also don’t understand loud exhausts on cars or motorcycles. Do they really think that makes those little peanut motors sound powerful?
    My bold. That reminds me of some comments I heard about noisy vacuum cleaners. There were allegations that the manufacturers made them unnecessarily noisy because it made some of their customers think they were more powerful.

  26. #3206
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,601
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It never is that simple. But fixing the stuff you can fix often helps. And sleeping during the day is a pretty good way to cause disturbed sleep at night, unless you're actually Spanish.

    Grant Hutchison
    My bold. My wife has been complaining of insomnia, and I've been trying to tell her that. She seems to be asleep on the sofa half the day.

    I DO take a nap, generally from 3:00 until 4:00, or as required by the cat. But I try to keep active at other times and have no trouble during the night.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  27. #3207
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My bold. My wife has been complaining of insomnia, and I've been trying to tell her that. She seems to be asleep on the sofa half the day.

    I DO take a nap, generally from 3:00 until 4:00, or as required by the cat. But I try to keep active at other times and have no trouble during the night.
    In my case, I started to do that and finally I realised it was a blood sugar issue which is called early onset type two diabetes or other names for the basic condition where my body was becoming insulin tolerant and that causes less good blood sugar regulation. Again personally I found that changing to a ketone metabolism ie the low carb high fat diet I reversed all those symptoms, no more teatime energy gaps, I lost weight fast and feel much better now. Maybe those naps are an early sign? My doctor confirmed the diagnosis but the diet research needed to be my own, I refused to consider pills for a condition that is easily controlled by a diet change. But that's just me.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  28. #3208
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My bold. My wife has been complaining of insomnia, and I've been trying to tell her that. She seems to be asleep on the sofa half the day.
    Maybe you could invoke the support of the Mayo Clinic or Harvard Medical School. It's a pretty common reversal of perceived causation: "I have to sleep during the day because I can't sleep at night" rather than "I can't sleep at night because I sleep during the day."

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I DO take a nap, generally from 3:00 until 4:00, or as required by the cat. But I try to keep active at other times and have no trouble during the night.
    Yes. If you're sleeping well at night, there's no harm in the nap. If you're not sleeping well at night, the first thing to try is ditching the nap.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  29. #3209
    Last night well early morning I wrote out a couple of things bouncing around in the head, that help me go asleep.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  30. #3210
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,168
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ... Yes. If you're sleeping well at night ...
    (Really just using this as a starting point.)

    I sleep reasonably well at night ... fall asleep quickly enough and sleep pretty soundly. But ... I have "trained" my body.

    I set an alarm on my phone for 4:00am to get me up on office workdays. I have a 5:00am alarm which I use when I'm working on site. And a 6:00am alarm for weekends/holidays when I want up early. They are set up so I only use the one I need to use.

    After several years of this, my body anticipates. And, of course, DST has entered the picture. So I wake up at 3, 4, 5, and 6. Fortunately, the waking up when I don't need to is brief.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •