Page 108 of 120 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 3594

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Sometimes do you have the feeling you cheesed someone off and don't know it. All I think I did to offend someone was to make smart remark about a friends t-shirt on a video he made. I know afflictions so it did not surprise me.

Also eating contest. I have eaten a lot in the past but I do not get eaten 20 -30 hotdogs in a setting.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    ... I do not get eaten 20 -30 hotdogs in a setting.
    Joey Chestnut would laugh at this.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

but I do not get eaten 20 -30 hotdogs in a setting.
    I would hope you don’t get eaten by anything, let alone a flock of ravenous wild hotdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I would hope you don’t get eaten by anything, let alone a flock of ravenous wild hotdogs.
    I think that almost counts as cannibalism on the hot dogs part.

I think that almost counts as cannibalism on the hot dogs part.
    Man’s best friend, indeed!

Oh, you said “hot dog”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Many bike riders think loud pipes are a safety feature, thinking it'll help car drivers be aware of them.

Driving a car as well as riding a bike, I think that's rubbish.

They're just being jerks. Here it's mostly HD riders. (So, often accountants.)
    My Ninja 250 is super quiet. I've had pedestrians nearly bump into me while parking. No serious safety concern because I'm not moving, but it is surprising that a walker doesn't notice a running motorcycle. I've learned not to "paddle walk" my motorcycle near people. 500 lbs of cycle and driver at 2 miles an hour would hurt. Probably break my bike if I dropped it, too.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My Ninja 250 is super quiet. I've had pedestrians nearly bump into me while parking. No serious safety concern because I'm not moving, but it is surprising that a walker doesn't notice a running motorcycle. I've learned not to "paddle walk" my motorcycle near people. 500 lbs of cycle and driver at 2 miles an hour would hurt. Probably break my bike if I dropped it, too.
    Fair point, but if you had an HD, you wouldn't need open pipes for that pedestrian to hear you.

( Does raise again the issue of electric vehicles and whether more pedestrians will get run over, unless the vehicles are made to make some kind of noise. )
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Fair point, but if you had an HD, you wouldn't need open pipes for that pedestrian to hear you.

( Does raise again the issue of electric vehicles and whether more pedestrians will get run over, unless the vehicles are made to make some kind of noise. )
    I don't think this has been mentioned here before,doesn't come up in a search, but certainly shows that this issue will only get more of a problem - and is also slightly weird. https://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2015.../#.WwoYwUiFPRY

People who stick fake bullet holes on their cars.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I don't think this has been mentioned here before,doesn't come up in a search, but certainly shows that this issue will only get more of a problem - and is also slightly weird. https://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2015.../#.WwoYwUiFPRY
    Is a bell necessary on a bicycle?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Is that a philosophical or legal question?
    Legally, all new bicycles sold in the UK are required to have bells fitted, but many cyclists (including the one who recently ran over my elderly mother) then remove them, because they're perceived as being unstylish and creating unnecessary wind resistance. They get away with this because (bizarrely) there's no legal requirement to have a bell on a bike once you're using it on the roads of Britain, though they are required in Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Isabel.
    Isabel who?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    People who stick fake bullet holes on their cars.
    At least they're not gross. Every time I see those plastic testicles* dangling on a truck, I make a "stank face".

*There's a factory somewhere that makes those.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Isabel.
    Isabel who?
    Yeah.
    But I thought I'd treat it like a serious question because it was asked in response to a story about a blind guy who got run over twice by a silent vehicle.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    There's a factory somewhere that makes those.
    I can just picture a boardroom with middle-aged men in white shirts and ties where one proposes, “I think we should manufacture plastic testicles.”

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I can just picture a boardroom with middle-aged men in white shirts and ties where one proposes, “I think we should manufacture plastic testicles.”
    There are serious applications, though I doubt produced by the same company.
    I have a vivid recollection of walking into the store-room of the Clinical Skills department of my medical school, to be confronted by a long row of plastic scrotums hanging from hooks.
    (A sales rep for the same company reputedly once spent a day in a Saudi jail, when he arrived in the country with a demo model of the female equivalent, and inadequate documentation.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Legally, all new bicycles sold in the UK are required to have bells fitted, but many cyclists (including the one who recently ran over my elderly mother) then remove them, because they're perceived as being unstylish and creating unnecessary wind resistance. They get away with this because (bizarrely) there's no legal requirement to have a bell on a bike once you're using it on the roads of Britain, though they are required in Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Grant Hutchison
    Well my comment was related to the problem of silent electric cars and was an oblique reference to the need to have artificial warning sounds and the long-standing problem with bicycles travelling on pavements (Sidewalks) I am sorry if I was being too cryptic.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

There are serious applications, though I doubt produced by the same company.
    I have a vivid recollection of walking into the store-room of the Clinical Skills department of my medical school, to be confronted by a long row of plastic scrotums hanging from hooks.
    (A sales rep for the same company reputedly once spent a day in a Saudi jail, when he arrived in the country with a demo model of the female equivalent, and inadequate documentation.)

Grant Hutchison
    The female equivalent of a scrotum? NEVER MIND!

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

A while back, I read that a survey was done to determine what sound people wanted to add to electric cars.
    The Jetsons car sound was the clear winner.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

The nice thing about no sound is if you make an artificial sound, you can tune it to whatever you need. Get rid of some weird/damaging sounds from engines, replace with something that is scientifically measurable as a warning sound. Preferably something that doesn't impact the natural environment (animals) too much. With some of the object detection systems on these newfangled cars, it could turn off and on as needed rather than all the time.

I had several a run-ins with deer, I wish I had some sort of sonic cannon to scare them off. If only it was that simple. Deer do really strange things when threatened/confused/scared.
    Solfe

At least they're not gross. Every time I see those plastic testicles* dangling on a truck, I make a "stank face".

Ugh. I worked at a party supply store that sold fake breasts as a add-on for Halloween costumes. They were a seasonal item (what?), and by general staff consensus they didn't get put on the store shelves because they created awkward and sometimes angry conversations.

Fast forward a few years and I worked at a company that assisted in the creation of materials for prosthetic breasts for people with serious injuries or ailments. It was not our product, we just came up with materials used for them. They were a point of pride and we'd happily share the information with anyone who asked.

I totally don't get having a fake body part on a truck. I had a head scratching moment when I saw one on a Honda Civic. "What on earth are you trying to say?"

I have a friend that puts an Autobot symbol on the center of the hood of his car. He's done it to all three Honda Civics he has purchased. He does it on day one, right off the sales lot. When I finally asked him why, he explained that Civics are amazing cars but one day he hopes it will turn into something cool. That is funny.
    Solfe

Maybe the guy who had it on his civic thought it was his civic duty to keep the population abreast of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The nice thing about no sound is if you make an artificial sound, you can tune it to whatever you need. Get rid of some weird/damaging sounds from engines, replace with something that is scientifically measurable as a warning sound. Preferably something that doesn't impact the natural environment (animals) too much. With some of the object detection systems on these newfangled cars, it could turn off and on as needed rather than all the time.

I had several a run-ins with deer, I wish I had some sort of sonic cannon to scare them off. If only it was that simple. Deer do really strange things when threatened/confused/scared.
    Maybe they could make vehicles that emit sounds at frequencies that only animals can hear, bit like those pest repellent things you plug in at home.

Grant Hutchison
    The first thing I do when I have a new cycle is fit a decent bell. They are an aid for cyclists, where I cycle there are many blind bends on narrow paths and ringing the bell as I approach the bends has saved me from collisions on many occasions.

I don't understand why any cyclist would remove them from their bikes?? Obviously looking "cool" is far more important than safety.

Also legally required here (Western Australia) - and unlike Britain it is still legally required when on the road.

Also legally required here (Western Australia) - and unlike Britain it is still legally required when on the road.

And for Cosmocrazy: Maybe they could make vehicles that emit sounds at frequencies that only animals can hear, bit like those pest repellent things you plug in at home

I give you "shuroo" , designed to scare off Kangaroos https://www.shuroo.com.au/[/I]. However its usefulness is said to be about zero https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...20130716-2q31j And as usual the supplier prefers "anecdotal" evidence to any rigorous testing.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-May-28 at 08:43 AM.

I just think the guy who's driving is showing what he lost in an accident with handtools.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    The first thing I do when I have a new cycle is fit a decent bell. They are an aid for cyclists, where I cycle there are many blind bends on narrow paths and ringing the bell as I approach the bends has saved me from collisions on many occasions.

I don't understand why any cyclist would remove them from their bikes?? Obviously looking "cool" is far more important than safety.
    And they (usually, apart from novelty items) have a characteristic sound, which indicates to pedestrians and other cyclists "A bike is coming," whereas a shout doesn't send that message nearly as clearly.
    I remember a shared-use walking/cycling track in Anchorage, on which every cyclist who approached us from behind would call, "Passing on the left" or "Passing on the right". I was struck by how consistently this was done, and I think I wondered aloud here if it was just a local custom or something more general. But the first time it happened, I turned around to see what the shout was about, and pretty much stepped into the path of the oncoming bicycle. That wouldn't have happened if a bicycle bell had sounded behind me.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Things may be changing in the UK - as part of the run-up to Brexit, we've very recently ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention, which requires bicycles to have bells. Countries do get to pick and choose some of the minor points of that Convention, and we may have enough legal changes to deal with during the Brexit transition, but one hopes bells will become a legal requirement here eventually, as they are in much of Europe and elsewhere.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

When buying a new pickup truck, a certain well-known manufacturer offers a ~$60 option of upgrading the oil cap to one that has their "racing division" logo.