Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3447

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm more puzzled about the wine. The law of diminishing returns sets in pretty quickly with wine when it comes to taste, and you certainly get less ostentation value from ordering a $5000 bottle of burgundy in a restaurant than you would if you spent the $5000 on jewellery or accessories. A lot of these wines are bought as investments, and are never intended to be drunk.
    Crazy.

That's like paying thousands of dollars for a beautiful painting that will be wrappped up and never viewed, or a wonderful book that will never be read, or a hot rod that will never be driven. If one doesn't use it, what's the point of valuing it? A forever undrunk wine might as well be a bottle of water.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Crazy.

That's like paying thousands of dollars for a beautiful painting that will be wrappped up and never viewed, or a wonderful book that will never be read, or a hot rod that will never be driven. If one doesn't use it, what's the point of valuing it? A forever undrunk wine might as well be a bottle of water.
    I sometimes build "classic" model kits, forty or fifty years old. There are people who buy those as an investment - just letting them sit in the sealed box.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    all this fuss over grape juice that burns.
    I've been known to get annoyed by alcohol drinkers who get pushy with me about alcohol when they find out that I don't ever drink any. My rant about it includes contrasting them with fans of any other kind of food or beverage, such as cheesecake, for example. I also don't like cheesecake, but cheesecake fans, upon learning this, don't keep pressing on and on and on at me about how I need to keep trying one suggestion of theirs after another after another in the desperate all-consuming lifelong quest for a cheesecake that doesn't taste (or feel) like cheesecake because life without cheesecake is so empty no matter how much cost or sensory unpleasantness it means putting myself through in service to their culinary god of choice. And cheesecake has that in common with pretty much everything else that people eat or drink. Even the drug-addiction angle doesn't explain the difference, because smokers don't do it, either.

However, I have recently realized that there is at least one more exception, one more thing people will act that way about: spiciness/pepperiness. And it has that "burning" thing in common with alcohol.

Hmmm... Wine and cheesecake. That sounds much more
    attractive to me than wine and cheese...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Ford now makes vehicles including a new technology I've wished for for years: a windshield defroster using not hot air but an electrically conductive clear gel held between two layers of glass.

It's available in their small van, but not in their pickup truck.

Sometimes I don't know if I did the right thing or not. A few nights ago I friend asked if I knew some who had a truck to move some firewood to the business he works at. The person I could think of was the BIL but he tends to be busy. The other day I watched a video of a friend who mentioned his teenage son has a truck. So I told my first friend that the second had the son with the truck and to check with the father (they know each other and a little less weird then an older man suddenly contacting a teenager about hire him). Then it occured to me I might of went over some line that I not aware of.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've long ago learned that many people have more dollars than sense.
    Which has been to my benefit once or twice, actually! That's the exact phrase I've used about some of my film friends. I charge $25 each to sew a stuffed version of a character from a movie who's practically the mascot of our group at this point, because the character is so obscure that there's no mass-market stuffed version. Also, the character is ugly and my stuffed version is not a close analogue. I've still sold a few.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have to know at least one of the following:

What movie?
    What character?
    How ugly is the character?
    Is the stuffed version cuter and more cuddly than the character?

Any two will suffice. One might be enough.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Yes, Enquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Might be a business secret!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Hmmm... Wine and cheesecake. That sounds much more
    attractive to me than wine and cheese...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Ugh, mostly no. The only wine I'd eat with cheesecake is dry champagne. Make that "brut", because somehow in the world of sparkling wine, "dry" means serve it over pancakes.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I am taking a hybrid class, half is a traditional lecture and the other half is online. The lecture is great, but the online stuff is annoying. Assignments come in four forms: online book reading, practice which is combined with the reading, tests and videos. It turns out that the test questions can be answered with the information from only the videos. What I don´t get is, when I am reading the book, I am prompted to answer practice questions every few minutes. The practice questions are in lock step with what I have read, but there is no prompt to go back to reading.

A couple of times, I have answered all of the questions and tried to close the assignment and the software won´t let me because I haven´t read through the whole chapter. You´d think it would prompt me to go back to reading: ¨Ok, you have answered all the questions to the extent you have read, go read more.¨
    Solfe

Solfe,

That problem sounds very much like one I ran into many, many
    years ago, but I can't connect it with the specific situation. I don't
    recall the medium, or the subject, or the setting. But the same
    problem of two parts that were supposed to work together not
    being co-ordinated in both directions.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I've been known to get annoyed by alcohol drinkers who get pushy with me about alcohol when they find out that I don't ever drink any. My rant about it includes contrasting them with fans of any other kind of food or beverage, such as cheesecake, for example. I also don't like cheesecake, but cheesecake fans, upon learning this, don't keep pressing on and on and on at me about how I need to keep trying one suggestion of theirs after another after another in the desperate all-consuming lifelong quest for a cheesecake that doesn't taste (or feel) like cheesecake because life without cheesecake is so empty no matter how much cost or sensory unpleasantness it means putting myself through in service to their culinary god of choice. And cheesecake has that in common with pretty much everything else that people eat or drink. Even the drug-addiction angle doesn't explain the difference, because smokers don't do it, either.

However, I have recently realized that there is at least one more exception, one more thing people will act that way about: spiciness/pepperiness. And it has that "burning" thing in common with alcohol.
    I get this with fairground and amusement park rides. I'm not a fan of either and don't get any enjoyment out of the experience. Yet people will persist on telling me I'm missing out and its loads of fun and its really exciting... I have succumbed on a few occasion which just resulted in confirming that I don't like amusement park rides!! Its not a fear of them, I just don't enjoy the experience in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I get this with fairground and amusement park rides. I'm not a fan of either and don't get any enjoyment out of the experience. Yet people will persist on telling me I'm missing out and its loads of fun and its really exciting... I have succumbed on a few occasion which just resulted in confirming that I don't like amusement park rides!! Its not a fear of them, I just don't enjoy the experience in any way.
    Yes, to both of these (well, all three, if you include the spiciness)! I almost never drink alcohol. I may have a sip of a friend's new beer recipe, since that aspect of the industry does fascinate me. I have a glass of sparkling wine once at New Years and one on my wedding anniversay, both times with my wife. But up until recently (I think my friends and acquaintances finally "go it") I would always get pestered with this notion that I just hadn't found "my" drink yet, or that if I tried "this" wine or liquor, I'd surely love it. The most puzzling are suggestions in that "you can't even taste the alcohol!" Well, then it's not needed, is it? I mean, seriously?

Luckily (? wait, maybe not so) we can't afford amusement parks rides, and we didn't go with others often. But when we had, I was always needled and complained at to give this or that a go. I used to enjoy some of them, but as I've aged, I tolerate them less and less, so just go corkscrew your brains out and leave me alone!

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Same here. They don't bother me, apart from the vague thought that it would be an embarrassing and pointless way to die, but I don't get the excitement aspect. Whoosh whoosh spin spin lurch lurch. Over. And the whole institutionalized screaming thing gets me down.
    I've gone on rides to be sociable, but the endless queueing and the sense of spending money to no useful purpose makes me bow out more often than not.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Stuff you just don't get.

There are enough alcoholics in my extended family that we don’t question someone’s choice not to drink.

As for amusement park rides, I herniated a disk in my neck a few years ago, and was advised against doing things that jolt my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alcohol just makes me sick and dizzy so I don't drink it.
    Never got roller coasters either.

I have to know at least one of the following:

What movie?
    Monster Trucks

What character?
    Creech

How ugly is the character?
    Less ugly than the concept art, but certainly not as cute as the movie seems to think he is.

Is the stuffed version cuter and more cuddly than the character?
    I don't really think so, no. For one, he's made out of swimsuit fabric to replicate the character's sheen.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Looks too much like a catfish, not enough like a cat.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Solfe,

That problem sounds very much like one I ran into many, many
    years ago, but I can't connect it with the specific situation. I don't
    recall the medium, or the subject, or the setting. But the same
    problem of two parts that were supposed to work together not
    being co-ordinated in both directions.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    This might be ¨A Thing¨ for this teacher. He put a computer based quiz in class, then picked the one person who was not going to poll the class, but simply pick what she thought was right. He promised to shave 10 minutes off the class if we got all of them right, but if we didn´t, he´d add twenty minutes. He added 20 minutes, ¨we¨ had 8 mistakes. Then he let us win back 3 minutes as we corrected ¨our mistakes¨.

I kept counter offering ¨double or nothing¨. Finally, he asked why I was offering that, knowing that the person at the controls was the only one making all these mistakes by not polling the whole class. I explained that it is a microeconomics class and his time might be so valuable that he might be scared off by the possibility for extending the class by 20 minutes doubled 8 times and would just let us leave on time. He laughed and kept us for the extra 20 minutes.
    Solfe

Alcohol just makes me sick and dizzy so I don't drink it.
    Never got roller coasters either.
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Same here. They don't bother me, apart from the vague thought that it would be an embarrassing and pointless way to die, but I don't get the excitement aspect. Whoosh whoosh spin spin lurch lurch. Over. And the whole institutionalized screaming thing gets me down.
    I've gone on rides to be sociable, but the endless queueing and the sense of spending money to no useful purpose makes me bow out more often than not.

Grant Hutchison
    Alcohol, amusement park rides, everyone has a preference. Personally, I don´t drink much but I do like roller coasters. The faster, more aggressive the better. However, if you put me on those spinning tea cups for little kids, I barf.
    Solfe

Re: Creecher made of swimsuit fabric. I bought a sparkly blue
    beanbag frog and sparkly magenta beanbag lizard from a Korean
    booth at a neighborhood fair a few years ago. They are small-- the
    frog fits neatly on the palm of my hand. Well made. The seam is
    entirely on the inside, all the way around the frog's head, body, legs
    and toes, except for one barely-visible stretch on the outside of one
    leg, just a centimeter long. Not as anthropomorphic as Creech
    appears to be, so not as much personality, but still cute. No teeth.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Alcohol, amusement park rides, everyone has a preference. Personally, I don´t drink much but I do like roller coasters. The faster, more aggressive the better. However, if you put me on those spinning tea cups for little kids, I barf.
    If I had to go on a ride then the fast aggressive one I would choose. Same as you, I simply barf if there is any form of motion induced sickness. The quicker the ride is over the better, so I don't get chance to get sick.

Years ago I went on a night out with some friends. I don't drink any alcohol these days, but even back when I was young I drank very little. Anyhow at the end of the night I was a little tipsy at worst, my friends decided they we were all going to share a taxi home even though it was only a couple of miles. I refused stating that I was fine to walk home. They just kept nagging and were persistent to get me in the taxi, I gave in and joined them. The taxi driver decided it would be fun to drive like in a race car. After a mile down the road I barfed very violently all over the taxi car interior. The 2 mile trip cost us the fair, compensation for loss of earnings and a full valet. Funnily since then when I have to travel anywhere my friends actually listen to my concerns about my long suffering motion sickness!!

Ford now makes vehicles including a new technology I've wished for for years: a windshield defroster using not hot air but an electrically conductive clear gel held between two layers of glass.

Other weirdness from vehicle shopping: how in the world can removable rear seats be so rare? The technology is nothing particularly tricky, the idea of applying it in this way is at least as old as my 2001 PT Cruiser, but it's missing from all modern new-built vehicles I've checked, even though what I've been looking at have been the vehicle categories that would seem to be the most obvious places to put this feature (SUVs & vans).

And why do the windows on van doors not open?

And why does the pickup truck market lean so much toward double cabs and away from single cabs?

And why are SUVs with what would appear to be the same basic body as the same company's pickup trucks get listed with wider widths than those trucks, by up to 4½"?

Automotive design is weird.

SUVs are classified as light trucks, I don't know why they would be wider.

SUVs are classified as light trucks...
    My wife's Mini Cooper is considered an SUV by our insurance company because it has all wheel drive.

They must figure she can go off road in it.

Ford used an electric windshield defroster on Lincolns a couple of decades past.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Wouldn't an item like that be more appreciated in a family situation then in a work truck. They probably testing on something where it might more useful. (Yes, it would be nice in all vehicles. )