Page 121 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121
Results 3,601 to 3,628 of 3628

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    People who get off pulling fire alarms when there is no fire.
    A few centuries ago, I lived in a high-rise building. On a Friday or Saturday night, if one were riding on the lift, and noticed a lot of noise while passing a certain floor (meaning there was a party there), then one knew with virtual certainty that there would be a fire alarm later that night

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Open (or near-open), back (or central), & unrounded; the standard English "short O"(O how I hate calling them "long" & short" regardless of length!) as in... lots & lots of words from "dog" to "hot" to "top" to "toss" to "gone" to "rob" to "plockydoffer"...
    That's a rounded vowel both in my accent (ɔ) and in Received Pronunciation (ɒ) - hence my question.
    I presume your accent differs, but I don't know where you come from.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

1) Stay up too late.
    2) Go to bed.
    3) Dad calls 5 1/2 hours later and I wake up and talk to him.
    4) I feel fine, but think it’s better for my health to get seven hours of sleep than five, so I lie down again and wait for the alarm I set.
    5) Have trouble falling back asleep.
    6) Wake up with alarm, feel incredibly tired.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's a rounded vowel both in my accent (ɔ) and in Received Pronunciation (ɒ) - hence my question.
    I presume your accent differs, but I don't know where you come from.
    Which reminds me of the old phonetician's joke about the American theologian travelling on a southern English train. The theologian thought he was experiencing a Personal Revelation when a voice suddenly announced out of thin air, "Good morning, this is your God speaking."

(In Received Pronunciation, "guard" is pronounced ɡɑːd, which is the same pronunciation as "god" in many variants of American English.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Which reminds me of the old phonetician's joke about the American theologian travelling on a southern English train. The theologian thought he was experiencing a Personal Revelation when a voice suddenly announced out of thin air, "Good morning, this is your God speaking."

(In Received Pronunciation, "guard" is pronounced ɡɑːd, which is the same pronunciation as "god" in many variants of American English.)

Grant Hutchison
    I can see how that would shock someone!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

People either love or hate black licorice. Nobody ever says, “Meh, it’s okay.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

Same thing with anchovies.

Love anchovies, hate black licorice.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    hate both, can't get an anchovy/black licorice pizza out of my head, this is the end [cough] [cough]
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I had a Caesar salad recently that contained one anchovy. What's that about? Either skip the anchovies (which weren't in the original recipe anyway) or put them in. One anchovy is neither one thing nor the other (I almost wrote "neither fish nor fowl"), and is no use to anyone.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Meh, it's okay. I ate a fair bit of it when I was a kid but nowadays, I neither love nor hate it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Grant Hutchison
    I observed something like that joke in real life during USAF basic training. Our sergeant was asking who in our flight had prior experience like ROTC, etc. One fellow from the Deep South responded that he had been in the National Guard...only not quite so clearly. He said, "I was guard" which his accent rendered more as 'I was God.' Our TI had quite the time chewing him up one side and down the other.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Where are my NECCO Wafers? I could eat tons of them. I ate even the licorice and loved it. Life is not fair.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Just quoting myself to see if the triangular colon in my phonetics (marking a long vowel) disappears, which it seems to have done when quoted by KaiYeves and PetersCreek.

ETA: Hmm. Absent in the posted text, but present in the "reply" window. Let's put it outside the quoted text: ɡɑːd

ETA2: So it is being suppressed by the quote function, for some reason. Odd.

ETA3: Even odder - its visibility within quoted text varies according to whether I use my laptop or my PC.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Oct-30 at 09:01 PM.
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I had a Caesar salad recently that contained one anchovy. What's that about? Either skip the anchovies (which weren't in the original recipe anyway) or put them in. One anchovy is neither one thing nor the other (I almost wrote "neither fish nor fowl"), and is no use to anyone.

Grant Hutchison
    I like 4 seasons pizzas, (although now off my plate as I avoid carbs) and for me that means four anchovy dividers but I tried one (cheating) is Italy recently and no anchovies, so I felt underwhelmed. But agreed no anchovies in a Caesar, whatever next? Soya?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

There are apparently several acceptable variations on the Caesar salad. In one you rub the inside of the wooden bowl with an anchovy and throw it away, then mix the greens in the bowl. In another you keep the anchovy.

My favorite pizza is anchovies and mushrooms, and affection I shared with a friend some years back. When we attended training sessions where they fed us pizza we'd always order and split one with (his words) dead fish and fungus.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'm fond of dead fish and fungus too, though my wife and I usually call them "little fishes".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My favorite pizza is anchovies and mushrooms, and affection I shared with a friend some years back.
    I've had anchovies and mushrooms, but I'm wondering how affection tastes?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

AN affection. AN, I say.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Hmmmm... Black licorice pizza

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The next chopped will have licorice and anchovies.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I like 4 seasons pizzas, (although now off my plate as I avoid carbs) and for me that means four anchovy dividers but I tried one (cheating) is Italy recently and no anchovies, so I felt underwhelmed. But agreed no anchovies in a Caesar, whatever next? Soya?
    Now here's a mess: Salade niçoise

Had an incredible introduction to it at a small pizza place on the main square of Gordes in France, it was huuge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salade_ni%C3%A7oise

I quite like niçoise salad. Since the Wife doesn't care for canned tuna outside of a typical U.S. tuna salad, I make it with seared Ahi.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Now here's a mess: Salade niçoise

Had an incredible introduction to it at a small pizza place on the main square of Gordes in France, it was huuge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salade_ni%C3%A7oise

This is from our trip to Paris several years ago. A salad nicoise and an Orangina at an sidewalk cafe. The only way I could be more French would be to wear a beret and have a poodle.

Oooh, that's a chunky one. There seem to be as many variations in Niçoise as there are in Caesar. But you've got to accompany it with a glass of Provençal rosé - I believe you can still be arrested and deported for eating it with Orangina anywhere in southern France.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Oooh, that's a chunky one. There seem to be as many variations in Niçoise as there are in Caesar. But you've got to accompany it with a glass of Provençal rosé - I believe you can still be arrested and deported for eating it with Orangina anywhere in southern France.

Grant Hutchison
    True dat. But I was an American in Paris and this was lunch, so no wine. Even in northern France, a real Frenchman would have had a glass of wine. At least I didn't do a Coke like my wife.

And the beret comment was a joke. The only people I remember seeing in Paris wearing a beret were old men and non-French.

And the beret comment was a joke. The only people I remember seeing in Paris wearing a beret were old men and non-French.
    My first trip to France (indeed my first trip outside the UK) was a day-return to Calais on the hovercraft from Ramsgate (that's going back a bit). You could make the trip with a photo ID, which was handy since I had no passport.
    In Calais, I went into a tobacconist to buy a stamp for a picture postcard to send to my parents, to discover a large burly man in a striped apron standing behind a counter at which he also served wine by the glass. Perched on a high stool and clinging to the counter at one end was a very old man wearing a beret, sipping a glass of vin rouge, and smoking a cheroot.
    I purchased my stamp using my schoolboy French, and the big fella asked me, "Vous êtes anglais?"
    I replied, "Non, je suis écossais."
    Feigning elaborate interest in my Scottishness, he turned to the fossil at the end of the counter, pointed to me and reported loudly, "Il est écossais!"
    I turned to be congratulated--at which point the old guy in the beret rotated his head very slowly away from me, hawked up a mighty lung oyster, and spat noisely on the floor, before resuming his interest in his wine.
    My friend in the apron directed an apologetic Gallic shrug-and-moue combo in my direction, and that concluded my welcome to France.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I love black licorice, but it messes up several types of blood tests that I take. That sucks, because I really like black licorice.
    Solfe

My niece's husband is a little older than she is and has an adult daughter. The daughter is getting married so they are planning to attend the wedding. In Iceland. In February.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.