Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 2857

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

it not really the sales part of it tht gets me it is the crowds of people pushing and pulling everyone.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Blue Friday, or spending the day exploring local natural areas and cleaning up any trash you find, seems to be a good alternative to BOTH these problems.
    I do that a lot the rest of the year.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

The other day my sister pointed out something I've thought about
    before: that the US is way retail-heavy. Too many people trying to
    sell too many things that are either too expensive, shoddily-made
    cheap duplicates of better-quality things, or things that just aren't
    needed by anyone. Black Friday is a direct result of trying to push
    those things onto people who otherwise wouldn't want them.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

All I could think of for the rest of the day is what to get people for Christmas.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I'm just glad that the people we do our website through lets me save changes and then publish them later; it means I could do things like add a sale but not have it go live until after Thanksgiving. Though it turns out you cannot do a code for "free [choice of three items]" with purchase, because the money people don't understand a purchase for $0, which is how you'd have to code the gift.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Black Friday shopping. Seriously, the thing I most want to do in life is camp out all night in front of a Wal-Mart with several hundred of my closest friends. Not.
    Apparently the crowds are down significantly today. Thanks, Amazon!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Black Friday: After a day set aside for being thankful for what you have, go out and trample other people in the frantic effort to buy more stuff.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Out of curiosity I went to the most popular shopping mall in our area last Friday, just out of curiosity. As expected, the traffic in and out of the garages was horrendous and the mall was crowded, but most of the people appeared to be doing much as I was, which was rubbernecking. I remembered what my dad had told me once about when he worked at a department store after graduating from high school in 1936. The basement was chockablock with stuff to be marked down for clearance, and the manager admitted that they had bought the stuff for the sole purpose of going through the motions of a clearance sale, to get people into the store. Some things just don't change in 81 years. I didn't spend a penny.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I was sad to hear a news report today that shopping for this year's Christmas season is down. This is because results of black Friday were less than forecast (UK) whereas in previous years this analysis would happen in January after the traditional january sales which now are shifted to November? Is this prediction a self fulfilling prophesy? The media here are practically telling everyone to spend less. And they do it by shifting the seasonal spend to November. We shall see in a few weeks time.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I was sad to hear a news report today that shopping for this year's Christmas season is down. This is because results of black Friday were less than forecast (UK) whereas in previous years this analysis would happen in January after the traditional january sales which now are shifted to November? Is this prediction a self fulfilling prophesy? The media here are practically telling everyone to spend less. And they do it by shifting the seasonal spend to November. We shall see in a few weeks time.
    Thanks, Amazon!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

An interesting tidbit about shopping for the holidays. A lot of companies actually make decisions in early April as to what will be available in the Nov-Dec time period of the same year. If you watch Toy Story 2, Buzz Lightyear gives a speech about the company mispredicting holiday sales figures leading to a lack of Buzz Lightyears. That is from a Mattel Corporate stockholder report. Rex actually started the self-referential humor in the first movie by saying he was a made by a small toy company in NJ. The name of that company was Arco, but someone cut off the dinosaur's monologue.

Back to stuff I don't get... I had an odd experience with someone who completely misread not one, but three different issues at work. Rather serious and significant issues. This was punctuated by her texting various information to different friends at work, who then spoke to each other to compare notes. Friends who you send flawed information to, aren't really your friends. Don't treat them as such, people do not like that game. Since I have only been on the job for 3 weeks and only 4 days at this one site, and I fully understand what is happening, this is a terrible misreading for seasoned person to make.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    An interesting tidbit about shopping for the holidays. A lot of companies actually make decisions in early April as to what will be available in the Nov-Dec time period of the same year. If you watch Toy Story 2, Buzz Lightyear gives a speech about the company mispredicting holiday sales figures leading to a lack of Buzz Lightyears. That is from a Mattel Corporate stockholder report. Rex actually started the self-referential humor in the first movie by saying he was a made by a small toy company in NJ. The name of that company was Arco, but someone cut off the dinosaur's monologue. ...
    I remember that back in the 1970s, Star Wars was a far bigger hit than expected, and the toy companies couldn't get the "action figures" or whatever ready by xmas season. Parents were encouraged to buy official vouchers to present to their kids, who'd have to wait for the toys to be issued.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I remember that back in the 1970s, Star Wars was a far bigger hit than expected ...
    When they first came out, I bought a full set of the seven principals. I kept them in the original packaging, figuring they'd become valuable with time.

My kids found them.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I donít get the concept of most collectibles.

I can see if you consider it an investment, or a reminder of places youíve visited, but to have all the Scooby-Doo lunch boxes for the sake of having them escapes me.

But, to each his own, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I don’t get the concept of most collectibles.

I can see if you consider it an investment, or a reminder of places you’ve visited, but to have all the Scooby-Doo lunch boxes for the sake of having them escapes me.

For some people, having something that was part of their past that they can see and hold gives them a comforting, emotional connection or helps them access memories they want to hold on to.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

My grandmother collected a lot of things. Yes, all right, this is in part because my grandmother had hoarding tendencies. (She was probably diagnosable, though my grandfather did manage to limit the spread, at least.) But most of my family collects one thing or another. I remember Grandma's owl collection; Grandma liked stuff with owls on it. There was just something about them that made her happy. I actually bought Irene some clothing with owls on it because I thought Grandma would have liked it, and she's been dead more of my life than she was alive--Grandma died in January 1995.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I don’t get the concept of most collectibles.

I can see if you consider it an investment, or a reminder of places you’ve visited, but to have all the Scooby-Doo lunch boxes for the sake of having them escapes me.

Collecting things seems to be one of the dividers of humans. Either you are a collector (or a want-to-be collector) or you just don't get it. I'm a collector. I used to collect stamps (and not because I saw them as an investment); I collect mineral samples and old science textbooks; I like train stuff. I'm not obsessive; my house isn't overflowing, I haven't fretted away my fortune on such things; I just have some things that I like and they tend to follow some themes.

I don't know what to tell you so that you will get it; I don't think there is any way for me to explain it so you do.

Some people tear the wrapping paper off of gifts, other neatly undo it; I don't think there is a right or wrong way, nor a way to explain it to the "other side".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I once had an acquaintance who collected beer cans. His goal was to have one for every brand and variety of beer that was ever sold in cans, with additional cans from whenever the label was restyled. He had hundreds of them neatly displayed on shelves in his garage.

My stepmother collected various things ... bird statuettes and nativity scenes, for instance. When she died, she left the birds to one of her sons. The other collectibles were up for grabs, leftovers to go into an estate sale.

We took a terra cotta nativity scene. But, when we got it home, my wife decided she didn't really want it after all. So we took it back and put it in the estate sale "pile."

After the sale, we discovered we'd accidentally kept the baby.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I sort of get collecting, but have never done it, except for loads of old stuff that I don't like throwing out. I'd sort of like to collect miniature houses..I did have one, but I have no idea where it went.
    Formerly Frog march..............

I came upon the object of this post via another forum here, though I'd heard of it before.

Imaginary numbers. I have ready any number of "basic" introductions to the concept, the Wikipedia page, and asked around a bit. I just don't get it. I don't see why they are needed, and I don't get what they do. Reading some of the "basic" web texts on imaginary numbers actually activated my SVT. I'm not looking for a reply here, just venting that it's something I fundamentally do not get.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I came upon the object of this post via another forum here, though I'd heard of it before.

Imaginary numbers. I have ready any number of "basic" introductions to the concept, the Wikipedia page, and asked around a bit. I just don't get it. I don't see why they are needed, and I don't get what they do. Reading some of the "basic" web texts on imaginary numbers actually activated my SVT. I'm not looking for a reply here, just venting that it's something I fundamentally do not get.

CJSF
    Get a tiger to explain it to you.

Someone once said we should call them ďorthogonal numbers.Ē That makes much more sense to me.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Someone once said we should call them “orthogonal numbers.” That makes much more sense to me.

"Come, look at this out the window. I can't quite make out what it is. Can you see it?"

[pulls room-darkening shade down] "That should help."

"Thanks!"

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

I have never understood why people have a hard time getting
    imaginary numbers, but I think it is the name. Imaginary numbers
    are not imaginary and they are not numbers. Maybe you are just
    rebelling at what seems to you an outrageously inaccurate name.

Imaginary numbers are as real as real numbers are. They are as
    real as counting numbers are. But they aren't numbers. They are
    in the same general category of things as numbers, similar to
    how volume is in the same category of things as area, length,
    and location, but is not itself an area, length, or location.

Volume is a very useful concept which describes something that is
    similar to area, length, and location, but is not area, length, or location.
    Likewise, imaginary numbers is a useful concept which describes
    something that is similar to numbers, but is not numbers.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    I have never understood why people have a hard time getting
    imaginary numbers, but I think it is the name. Imaginary numbers
    are not imaginary and they are not numbers. Maybe you are just
    rebelling at what seems to you an outrageously inaccurate name.

Imaginary numbers are as real as real numbers are. They are as
    real as counting numbers are. But they aren't numbers. They are
    in the same general category of things as numbers, similar to
    how volume is in the same category of things as area, length,
    and location, but is not itself an area, length, or location.

Volume is a very useful concept which describes something that is
    similar to area, length, and location, but is not area, length, or location.
    Likewise, imaginary numbers is a useful concept which describes
    something that is similar to numbers, but is not numbers.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    OMG. This just gets worse!

LOL.

CRY.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    OMG. This just gets worse!

LOL.

CRY.

CJSF
    I'll put my two cents in. (While being prepared to be shouted down for inaccuracies!)

You know that 2 squared = 2 x 2 = 4. Right?

So the square root of 4 is 2.

But -2 squared = -2 x -2 = 4. (The same as 2 x 2).

Note that both a +ve number and -ve number squared, gives a +ve number.

So in "regular" math there's no way to get the square root of a -ve number, because no "normal" math would have got you that -ve number (by squaring) in the first place.

But, it turns out that roots of negative numbers can be useful. For example, in what's called "j notation" in electronics, used in calculating what an electrical circuit will do. (I learned this stuff in an electronics paper at University in 1988, and promptly forgot it about a day after the end of year exam).

So a way of dealing with roots of negative numbers was made, calling the square root of -1 "i". ("j" is used in electronics because "i" already is used for current.)

e.g. square root of -4 = square root of (-1 x 4) = square root of -1 x square root of 4 = i x 2

It basically adds a layer of algebra that can be used to manipulate formula, where needed. Examples of when and where it's "needed", is a full story in it's own.

(The first time I saw "i" was learning to draw Mandlebrot sets on a BBC micro using BASIC in 1986. Too slow, never saw a full picture.)
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-Nov-30 at 09:13 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I thought imaginary numbers were how you kept track of your imaginary friends. "I have 6i followers on Twitter."
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I always thought of imaginary numbers as like a way to tunnel through a mountain to the other side...you drill an imaginary tunnel, and pop out in the real world on the other side.
    Formerly Frog march..............

Surely imaginary numbers are how you track the budgets of certain people and projects?

"You can't erase icing."