Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 3,181 to 3,201 of 3201

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

  1. #3181
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Strong agreement or approval, in this case “I am also very frustrated by finals just as you are.”
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.

    Grant Hutchison

  2. #3182
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,808
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.

    Grant Hutchison
    I’m not really sure, it’s just something I’ve picked up from talking to people online.

  3. #3183
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’m not really sure, it’s just something I’ve picked up from talking to people online.
    I guess it could be better than some other things you could of picked up online.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #3184
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Strong agreement with something bad, in this case, then. Shifts my understanding of the usage, thanks. (Not that I'd ever actually say it, but it's good to know what stuff means.)
    Any idea where it comes from? These phrases that mean essentially nothing in isolation seem often to come from very specific pop-cultural references. Like those heady few months in the UK in 1988 when people would say "Hello, everybody-peeps" to each other.
    I believe its origins are in hip hop culture. Which means I am not knowledgeable enough to explain the etymology.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #3185
    People who don't fix their exhaust pipes, thank of the person behind you in traffic.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #3186
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    Yesterday, we were behind someone whose exhaust pipe was literally dragging on the road.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  7. #3187
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That phrase is something I don't get. I can't puzzle out how it came to exist, with that little "to the" in the middle disrupting all the meaning out of it. Is there an original context that popularized it, or is it one of those phrases that just mysteriously pop into existence?
    From context I thought I'd gleaned it was used to express strong approval of something good, but now you've blown that shred of knowledge out of the water (unless you're really into assignments and reading).
    "___ to the ___" comes from rap songs in which rappers would spell a word or phrase and use "to the" between letters as filler to make the spelling fit whatever rhythm they had in mind. Rap, like any poetry, normally makes use of the distinction between emphasized and unemphasized syllables, but there's no such alternation naturally built in to a series of letters, so this filler provided some syllables which could be de-emphasized for the letters' names to contrast with by being more emphatic, allowing the rappers to compose rhythms with a more natural speech-like series of syllables with two distinct levels of emphasis.

    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.

    In its more recent derivatives in plain speech instead of rap, you can just think of "to the" as indicating that the speaker is speaking with a Snoop-Doggish attitude... and is declaring that (s)he knows what order basic English phrases & sentences flow in (from the beginning "to the" end).

  8. #3188
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    "___ to the ___" comes from rap songs in which rappers would spell a word or phrase and use "to the" between letters as filler to make the spelling fit whatever rhythm they had in mind. Rap, like any poetry, normally makes use of the distinction between emphasized and unemphasized syllables, but there's no such alternation naturally built in to a series of letters, so this filler provided some syllables which could be de-emphasized for the letters' names to contrast with by being more emphatic, allowing the rappers to compose rhythms with a more natural speech-like series of syllables with two distinct levels of emphasis.

    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.

    In its more recent derivatives in plain speech instead of rap, you can just think of "to the" as indicating that the speaker is speaking with a Snoop-Doggish attitude... and is declaring that (s)he knows what order basic English phrases & sentences flow in (from the beginning "to the" end).
    Thanks for the explanation.
    So basically it's just "Hell, yes". Except the speaker is trying to claim some rap credentials while simultaneously undermining that claim by wimpishly avoiding mild swearing?
    I see. I think I'll give that one a body to the swerve.

    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-May-07 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Prioritize the thanks

  9. #3189
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Another example of that kind of rhythmic insertion for rap-spelling is the "double" in Snoop Doggy Dogg's spelling of his own name as having "double-O" once and "double-G" twice, in the same song in which he also used "to the" between numbers when counting "1, 2, 3 to the 4" just so there would be something else happening between numbers instead of just the same length of pause three times in a row. This is the same guy who also either invented or at least popularized the meaningless suffix "-izzle", again for a similar original purpose.
    I think he gets credit for "it's a doggy dogg world" too, beloved by canine memesters everywhere now

  10. #3190
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,448
    There is currently a Volvo commercial running in the US, where they clearly show the vehicle driving on American roads.
    A tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the screen says, "European model shown."

    Why not show the American model of their vehicle?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  11. #3191
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,190
    The teevee just said that next week the royal newlyweds will be attending a 70th birthday party for Prince Charles. "Wait a minute", I thought, "I think I'm a couple of months OLDER than him, and mine isn't until September". I was right, his birthday is November 14. I know I'm not anxious to rush that event!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #3192
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,503
    Who does he think he is, the bloody Prince of Wales or something!

    Oh ...

  13. #3193
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,448

    Stuff you just don't get.

    I dunno, having your birthday party early seems like tempting fate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  14. #3194
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,190
    Maybe Mum told him he could have her job when he turns 70.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #3195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Maybe Mum told him he could have her job when he turns 70.
    I half expected Her Majesty to step down once she had succeeded Queen Victoria's record of being the longest reigning British monarch. But Queen Elizabeth is made of sturdy stuff and like her mother I now expect her to pass the 100 years old mark, she probably will still be on the throne (health permitting).

    My best guess is she is aiming for 70 years reign before retiring.

    Though Charlie may not make the throne until he is 80 at this rate.

  16. #3196
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,448
    While on YouTube, I stumbled across a bunch of mini-documentaries discussing the relative merits of various military aircraft.

    They were produced by people whose names seemed like they were trying too hard to sound like legitimate sources - like “DefenseNewsToday”.

    What I don’t get is why they all use awful mechanical voice-to-text for narration.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #3197
    For some reason most days in the last couple of weeks I wake up at dawn or earlier and have to take a nap in the late morning/ early afternoon,
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #3198
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Putting a bumper sticker on the back of your car...lopsided.

  19. #3199
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    For some reason most days in the last couple of weeks I wake up at dawn or earlier and have to take a nap in the late morning/ early afternoon,
    I suspect you're mixing cause and effect. Maybe you should avoid the nap - you're just going to keep disrupting your sleep schedule if you keep sleeping during the day.

    Grant Hutchison

  20. #3200
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I suspect you're mixing cause and effect. Maybe you should avoid the nap - you're just going to keep disrupting your sleep schedule if you keep sleeping during the day.

    Grant Hutchison
    Unless you have a cure for a very anxious mind with a liking to caffeine it is not that simple.

    And before I was addicted to caffeine I had sleeping problems there were times in high school when I could not sleep at all. It was really bad in the last couple of years in high school when a very attractive and smart girl wanted to go out with me and one her friends was trying to help but they were idiots involved. You can be smart in one area and an idiot in another. One of the theories that keep being made about me is all I want is attention, no some attention makes worse for me. So some nights I would be all night wondering what would happen the next day. A few years ago I let my feelings about back then out and not in a really good way. I avoid the friend in this situation because I don't what her reaction will be but the worse thing she will do is shoot me in the eye with a water gun, again.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  21. #3201
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Unless you have a cure for a very anxious mind with a liking to caffeine it is not that simple.
    It never is that simple. But fixing the stuff you can fix often helps. And sleeping during the day is a pretty good way to cause disturbed sleep at night, unless you're actually Spanish.

    Grant Hutchison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •