Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Stuff you just don't get.

It doesn't really amuse or annoy you, it just confuses you.

Naked selfies: I've seen myself naked before, and I've never thought "Gee, let me immortalize this moment with a commemorative snapshot!" Not even back when I actually looked good naked.

Duck Dynasty, Moonshiners and other shows about folks with necks so red and accents so thick and toothless that speakers of American English literally need subtitles to know what they've said.

Flash mobs. I can understand wanting to do some kind of public performance, but why not arrange it in an actual venue?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Flash mobs. I can understand wanting to do some kind of public performance, but why not arrange it in an actual venue?
    I can agree with the others; but some flash mobs - especially those organised by serious artists - can be marvellous. Like this one - I'd have loved to have been there.

As to things I just don't get...Two words: Justin Bieber. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    As to things I just don't get...Two words: Justin Bieber. 'nuff said.
    That's because you're not a teenage girl.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    And glad of it. I saw a Beebs poster in which he was dressed in leather, scowling at the camera with an expression that must have been considered 'tough'. I swear by all that is Holy it took me fifteen minutes to stop laughing. What a joke - what a pointless celebrity. I see recent news he's created - even his scandals are pointlessly childish!
    What a weiner.

And glad of it. I saw a Beebs poster in which he was dressed in leather, scowling at the camera with an expression that must have been considered 'tough'. I swear by all that is Holy it took me fifteen minutes to stop laughing. What a joke - what a pointless celebrity. I see recent news he's created - even his scandals are pointlessly childish!
    What a weiner.
    5 words: New Kids On The Block.

Any so called 'reality' show. For two reasons:
    1) The minute you bring in a bunch of cameras, producers, etc.; it's no longer 'reality'
    2) Why do people even care about the vapid, stupid, catty behavior in those shows in the first place?

'Celebrities' that have no actual talent, i.e. all the Kardashians. Heck, a significant % of celebrities have no actual talent. Yet some folks worship their every move.

Tatoos. They don't offend me nor do they appeal to me. I just don't get them. As the great prophet Jimmy Buffett sang: "It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling."

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Tatoos. They don't offend me nor do they appeal to me. I just don't get them. As the great prophet Jimmy Buffett sang: "It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling."
    I agree. I'm especially not sure what to make of the so-misnamed "tribal" marks, that apparently don't mean anything beyond "my skin is not invulnerable to needles".

I was one until 11 months ago and I still didn't get his appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I was one until 11 months ago and I still didn't get his appeal.
    Not all teenage girls like him, but almost all those who like him are teenage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    1) The minute you bring in a bunch of cameras, producers, etc.; it's no longer 'reality'
    Norman Mailer once argued that "documentary" was impossible, and invoked the Uncertainty Principle to justify the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    2) Why do people even care about the vapid, stupid, catty behavior in those shows in the first place?
    They're cheap to produce, and pander to the lowest common denominator and the inner voyeur. Easy money.

Lining up all night - or sleeping on the footpath - to be "one of the first" to buy { latest iPhone, some game or game console, Windows version X, whatever, ... }
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

What a weiner.
    i'm pretty sure that most people that would buy that particular poster are NOT teenage girls.. or even girls, for that matter..

I can agree with the others; but some flash mobs - especially those organised by serious artists - can be marvellous. Like this one - I'd have loved to have been there.
    An old teacher of mine was in a choral one a couple of Christmases ago. I've seen footage; the smiles on those shoppers' faces must have made it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of tattoos, myself, but I can assure you that not all of them are reminders of temporary feelings. One of my best friends has one that symbolizes her grandfather, and the other has three, all with deep personal--and long-lasting--significance.

They're cheap to produce, and pander to the lowest common denominator and the inner voyeur. Easy money.
    Oh, and the writers aren't members of the union. That's why there are more of them every time there's a writers' strike.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, and the writers aren't members of the union. That's why there are more of them every time there's a writers' strike.
    Like mushrooms, they multiply in conditions of gloom and dung.

My personal favorite flash mob.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

It doesn't really amuse or annoy you, it just confuses you.
    [...]"Duck Dynasty, Moonshiners and other shows about folks with necks so red and accents so thick and toothless that speakers of American English literally need subtitles to know what they've said."
    Being from the "Heartland" I can understand - though I've never watched them - an audience's attraction to their perceived "wholesomeness," far and away better than I understand the obligatory profanity and references to bodily functions that permeates so many TV shows. I just don't get it beyond its appeal to some juvenile minds.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTree1941 View Post
    Being from the "Heartland" I can understand - though I've never watched them - an audience's attraction to their perceived "wholesomeness," far and away better than I understand the obligatory profanity and references to bodily functions that permeates so many TV shows. I just don't get it beyond its appeal to some juvenile minds.
    Oh, those shows I mentioned have plenty of profanity. Not much wholesomeness in moonshiners, either. And the DD guys have shown their wholesomeness through racism and homophobia.

20. 2014-Jan-17, 03:17 PM

I saw a hilarious picture on Cracked.com the other day of the Duck Dynasty guys prior to the shore. Short hair, minimal facial hair, and golf clubs.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I never considered having a tattoo because my mum forbade me to have one. Then, a few months ago, I thought, hang on, I'm 50 now! I'll have one if I want one! So I thought about getting one done but couldn't think of anything that appeals - I really don't want a skull, or a butterfly, or any of those hackneyed images.

Yesterday, though, I was talking to my neighbour Sarah, who recently had a new Elvis tattoo done. She suggested I have a weeping angel on each shoulder blade, one covering its eyes, the other attacking. Hmm, maybe...

I am very literal-minded, to the extent it can be a problem, although it's less of one as I've admitted to it. But it does mean there are things I just don't get. Sometimes I think I am right in not getting it. For instance, there was a "comedy" series some years ago which made a big thing of taking metaphors literally. Which was like, so what?

The continued popularity of "professional wrestling."

Adults of otherwise (at least) average intelligence, who believe anything they hear. And especially if they then ACT on what they've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The continued popularity of "professional wrestling."
    I'm aware that it exists. That is the extent of my involvement in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Adults of otherwise (at least) average intelligence, who believe anything they hear. And especially if they then ACT on what they've heard.
    Well, when I had the depression (March to July last year) I was highly suggestible. Among other things, I found myself trying to look and act like one of my (female!) colleagues. Luckily I realised what I was doing and managed to control it... more or less. I'm still suggestible, though not as much.

In other words: Bad writing, bad acting, no plot and horrible directing. Except for Pickers.

I don't get deniers. The last three Novembers, I have been golfing with deniers on courses that used to close in early October; and by November, the courses were usually covered with snow.

Given the subject of this forum, I suppose I ought to own up that I never really go the tilt part of the Equation of Time (ie why days from true noon to true noon are not precisely 24 hrs). The bit due to orbital eccentricity I find no problem at all, but that only supplies about a third of the effect. But whilst I know I have several times managed to persuade myself of the truth of tilt factor by following the argument in the textbook until I can say "yes, that is self-evident" - though it is still a matter of surprise to me it is so large - each time I immediately forget what is self-evident about it. So I have to go back to the textbook each time I want to believe it again, and persuade myself.

I used to watch televised wrestling when I was a kid, but figured out that it was a fake, and outgrew it about age 10.

However, I suspect that the typical wrestling match has better scriptwriting than a "reality" show.

I'm gonna get a tattoo that says "I don't get tattoos". Oh, and another one that says "Mom".

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    However, I suspect that the typical wrestling match has better scriptwriting than a "reality" show.
    AFAIK, neither has scripts. They only have "stage directions."

I do, however, have an original Seinfeld script - "The Big Salad." Must be worth a fortune.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    My personal favorite flash mob.
    How very beautiful, thanks for sharing! Their tuning is admirable, all the more for the probably rather lousy acoustics in a supermarket.

Here is another one I love, also from Denmark.