Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 458593949596 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 2857

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

  1. #2821
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    12,534
    It appears no one has posted in OTB in the past 8.5 hours. I find that quite surprising.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  2. #2822
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It appears no one has posted in OTB in the past 8.5 hours. I find that quite surprising.
    Real hours or negative hours?

  3. #2823
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,642
    more like imaginary hours.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #2824
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,537
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    OMG. This just gets worse!

    LOL.

    CRY.

    CJSF
    What's the problem? Imaginary monsters?

    Really -- Are you just having fun with this, or are you actually
    afraid of understanding and accepting the idea of imaginary
    numbers because you don't like it, or what?

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

    "I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

    "The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

  5. #2825
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    3,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    What's the problem? Imaginary monsters?

    Really -- Are you just having fun with this, or are you actually
    afraid of understanding and accepting the idea of imaginary
    numbers because you don't like it, or what?

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    As I've publicly stated on these fora, I have a condition called dyscalculia, which makes arithmetic and related disciplines hard to process, mentally. Beyond that, I had hoped my over-the-top response would be recognized as humorously sarcastic, if rooted in my learning challenges. But thanks for belittling me on any account.

    CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"


    lonelybirder.org

  6. #2826
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,537
    You're welcome. Any time.

    A big part of what I'm wondering about is why difficulty with
    processing arithmetic would imply an allergy to mathematics.
    I'm very good at geometry, but my pons asinorum was to have
    any idea what I was supposed to do when a polynomial was
    placed in front of me. Totally clueless, and totally frustrating.
    That didn't mean I didn't like math. I even get the idea of
    algebra, and think it is way cool. I just can't stand those
    horrid polynomials...

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

    "I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

    "The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

  7. #2827
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    3,999
    Now I don't get what you're on about. Allergic? Dyscalculia A). Isn't an allergy or a distaste for math and numbers and B). Not the topic of this thread. I'm dropping it now because I'm getting angry.

    CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"


    lonelybirder.org

  8. #2828
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    7,126
    I am realising now that I may have come across people with this discalculia maybe it is as common as dyslexia? I have known several very talented designers , architects, with dyslexia and dyspraxia too. It's a fascinating insight into the great variety of talents of individuals. I came across an individual, an army corporal trying to get to sergeant, who just could not grasp a fraction like third. He could manage half. It stopped him being promoted.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  9. #2829
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,204
    If one often just doesn't get stuff, might one have dysgettia?
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  10. #2830
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,638
    American Football.

    Got a channel now that shows games. Tried to watch some.

    It's like they took the worst bits of Rugby Union and Rugby League and made a game out of them. Seems to have been invented by advertisers; people keep watching hoping something interesting will eventually happen, and there's plenty of time to show an ad in between the bits where that hope gets dashed.

    Apology for starting a religious discussion.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  11. #2831
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,204
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    American Football.
    Ah yes, men in tights! Have to stop it every 2 minutes or so to explain to audience and players what just happened. Call it Foot ball but always handle the ball with hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Apology for starting a religious discussion.
    Oh. Yes. Oops.

    When's the next 6 Nations? *goes google*
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  12. #2832
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,537
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Now I don't get what you're on about.
    Mainly saying I have a similar problem, but it doesn't cause me to
    have antipathy toward the idea of imaginary numbers. I raised the
    subject because having a problem with the concept of imaginary
    numbers seems very different and very separated from having a
    problem with arithmetic. I have a serious problem with algebra,
    and can't do calculus at all, but I get the idea of how algebra works
    in general and posted here my own ideas for what I think are very
    good practical descriptions of integral and differential calculus
    that anyone can understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Allergic? Dyscalculia A). Isn't an allergy or a distaste for math ...
    I said that you appear to have "an allergy to" mathematics because
    you appear to be repulsed by the idea of imaginary numbers, which
    is a very common reaction to that idea. I thought that was what you
    were saying in your first post on the subject and in your first reply
    to me. Maybe I erred in describing your apparent dislike for the idea
    of imaginary numbers as a dislike for math in general. Sorry.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

    "I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

    "The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

  13. #2833
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    12,534
    Why the news media and apparently many viewers think Meghan Wassername and her fiance and her fiance's entire family are so dang important or interesting.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #2834
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    46,496
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Now I don't get what you're on about. Allergic? Dyscalculia A). Isn't an allergy or a distaste for math and numbers and B). Not the topic of this thread. I'm dropping it now because I'm getting angry.

    CJSF
    All,

    If members are getting upset about discussions of their medical conditions, I suggest that everyone drop the topic. And, as noted, it is becoming a serious thread derailment to a fairly unserious thread.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  15. #2835
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    46,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Why the news media and apparently many viewers think Meghan Wassername and her fiance and her fiance's entire family are so dang important or interesting.
    This is just my take, but I think the news media is interested because a lot of people are interested (my wife is one of them). And a lot of people like stuff about the Royal Family because it is real life princesses and princes and fairy tales; the stuff of their childhoods.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  16. #2836
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    American Football.

    Got a channel now that shows games. Tried to watch some.

    It's like they took the worst bits of Rugby Union and Rugby League and made a game out of them. Seems to have been invented by advertisers; people keep watching hoping something interesting will eventually happen, and there's plenty of time to show an ad in between the bits where that hope gets dashed.

    Apology for starting a religious discussion.
    Most of the team sports we have in this country are very boring, the only really cool one is the one you guys beat us at back in June.

    ;-)

  17. #2837
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,638
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    ...

    When's the next 6 Nations? *goes google*
    6 Nations, in other words, second division.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  18. #2838
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,638
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Most of the team sports we have in this country are very boring, the only really cool one is the one you guys beat us at back in June.

    ;-)
    Team sport? Even the one we call "Team New Zealand" isn't all Kiwis. Somehow seems wrong in something billed as a race between nations. In a sport like Rugby (Union etc) there are rules about who can play for what national team. Funny how often a Kiwi finds a Grandmother from Wales or somewhere and goes to play for them! (Not that I'm saying that's wrong; if they can't get into the All Blacks, why not see where else they can go.)

    Hockey and Basketball are too fast for me; my brain can't keep up with what's going on.

    If I'm in the U.S. again, I think Baseball is something I'd have a go at (watching live).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  19. #2839
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Team sport? Even the one we call "Team New Zealand" isn't all Kiwis. Somehow seems wrong in something billed as a race between nations. In a sport like Rugby (Union etc) there are rules about who can play for what national team. Funny how often a Kiwi finds a Grandmother from Wales or somewhere and goes to play for them! (Not that I'm saying that's wrong; if they can't get into the All Blacks, why not see where else they can go.)

    Hockey and Basketball are too fast for me; my brain can't keep up with what's going on.

    If I'm in the U.S. again, I think Baseball is something I'd have a go at (watching live).
    Well, yeah, crewed sailing is a team sport because several people working together are needed to maneuver the boat. Regardless of how well they represented their namesake nations, Team New Zealand and Team USA (and my favorite, Team Japan) were all teams unless their skippers secretly had the power of self-duplication*. Singlehanded sailboat racing, like Conrad Colman and Armel Le Cleac'h in the Vendée Globe, is lone sailors against one another and thus an individual sport in my eyes.

    I'm glad you didn't object to the 'cool' part, though! I always thought I would never be a fan of competitive sports (as opposed to things like scuba diving, mountaineering, etc.) until I discovered the later and then the former (America's Cup), and now the Volvo Ocean Race, which is also between teams (without a nationality component).

    *A fan fiction idea which must of course wait until after finals.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Dec-02 at 07:20 AM.

  20. #2840
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,638
    On that, from the news today: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-...-peter-burling

    America's Cup yachting hero Peter Burling will not be 2017 Sportsman of the Year, unless there is a late change of tack by Team New Zealand (TNZ), who do not want him put above the team.

    ("tack", sigh.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  21. #2841
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    10,655
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ("tack", sigh.)
    Punny?
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

  22. #2842
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    On that, from the news today: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-...-peter-burling



    ("tack", sigh.)
    Clearly Grant Dalton lurks on CQ and wanted to settle our disagreement. ;-)

    Punny?
    But a very unoriginal and lazy pun.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Dec-03 at 01:02 AM.

  23. #2843
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,204
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    No problem with the 'sinks'? That was a bit of a shot across the bow.. We'll wait and see how the wind blows. Maybe they can still change their course, of perhaps he can withdraw and take the wind out of their sails.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  24. #2844
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,638
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    No problem with the 'sinks'? That was a bit of a shot across the bow.. We'll wait and see how the wind blows. Maybe they can still change their course, of perhaps he can withdraw and take the wind out of their sails.
    I'm off to the Zoo soon. Your post has me wanting to get very close to the lions.

    (Beer at the zoo, Xmas work function.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  25. #2845
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I'm off to the Zoo soon. Your post has me wanting to get very close to the lions.

    (Beer at the zoo, Xmas work function.)
    Don't get too close to the monkeys, either, they might steal your beer.

  26. #2846
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,642
    Snoopy, gossipy people who seem to have a lot of free time on their hands to do this stuff.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  27. #2847
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    7,657
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Don't get too close to the monkeys, either, they might steal your beer.
    I have heard that thieving baboons are a problem for tourists at Victoria Falls.

  28. #2848
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I have heard that thieving baboons are a problem for tourists at Victoria Falls.
    Don't monkey with a monkey
    Don't monkey with a monkey
    Don't monkey with a monkey
    That little monkey made a monkey out of me!

  29. #2849
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    12,534
    To get from the bedroom to the living room, I go down the hall.
    To get from the living room to the bedroom, I go down the hall.
    Do I live in M.C. Escher's house?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  30. #2850
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    To get from the bedroom to the living room, I go down the hall.
    To get from the living room to the bedroom, I go down the hall.
    Do I live in M.C. Escher's house?
    So, recreational marijuana is now legal in your state?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •