Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 3994

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Even though I'm not an attorney, I'd advise my client to leave that part out of the story next time you tell it.
    I think (I'm guessing from my guess of the poster's age) that whatever the crime might be (not actual attempted murder, but maybe reckless endangerment, that the statute of limitations has probably expired. But it's still sound advice...
    As above, so below

Statute of limitation has long passed, plus because of what earlier I think I can claim self defense.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Gad, I can't even remember the last time a woman offered to undress for me and I chased her with an axe.
    Happy days. Do that sort of thing on campus now, and you get nothing but complaints.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Gad, I can't even remember the last time a woman offered to undress for me and I chased her with an axe.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. If it had been me, I think I would have said, "go for it!"
    As above, so below

We never got along before hand either.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The bigger lack of logic to me is throwing rocks at someone with an ax. Almost sounds the old joke of bringing a knife to a gun battle, or the start of some horror movie.
    Taking an axe to a courtship ritual, more like.
    When a teenage girl throws stones at a teenage boy who is engaged in a manly activity, says he needs exercise, and offers to undress, etiquette requires that the teenage boy strike a pose, leer unpleasantly and enquire, "What sort of exercise did you have in mind, darlin'?" Flirting has its own logic.

Grant Hutchison

Taking an axe to a courtship ritual, more like.
    I guess that explains this product.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There you go: "You're hotter when you're chill."
    Chopping down a tree alone in the woods = chill.
    Chasing onlookers with a bladed weapon = not chill.

Grant Hutchison

Ah yes. When I was a teenage boy the equivalent was English Leather. I'm dating myself of course, but when I was a teenage boy nobody else would.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It was Brut for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    It was Brut for me.
    Hai Karate. YouTube link.

Grant Hutchison

Chopping down a tree alone in the woods = chill.
    Chasing onlookers with a bladed weapon = not chill.
    Well, that's more a matter of opinion than anything else.

Oh, um, 'Lectric Shave.

No, wait... Stetson.

Can't use it anymore, cats will bite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Well, that's more a matter of opinion than anything else.
    Well ... yeah.
    If I gave the impression that I thought I was stating a law of nature, I can only apologize for the confusion.

Grant Hutchison

Hai Karate. YouTube link.

Grant Hutchison
    OMG! There is used to be this little newspaper that would run full page fictional stories. One story revolved around a couple of guys in a band stopping the van to go to the bathroom. One of the guys was wearing Hai Karate, which attracted a moose. He ends up in the hospital not for damage done by the moose, but because he zipped something he shouldn't have. The dryness of the delivery really sold the whole thing. It was insanely funny.

I used to have the story in poster frame but lost it in a move. There was more to the poster frame than just the story. The story cover roughly the same areas my wife and I would frequent while dating. We had menus, photos and concert tickets tacked up all around the story.
    Solfe

Free range chickens. The ones I keep seeing in people's yards with not even a fence between them and the road. Do they just know to stay home? Do they return to the right place to lay eggs? And then there are the coyotes and hawks.

I also don't get how to write "people's yards" properly. I tried that way, "peoples' yards", and just "peoples yards" and none look right.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Oh yes they do. I had free range bantam hens without cut wing tendons , They could fly onto the roof and At night they put themselves into their henhouse and we closed the door. They were happy as long as there was only one adult cock and in several years we lost only one to a fox. He came at Sunday lunchtime and I saw , through my window, him take a hen . He was gone by the time I ran out. They lay their eggs inside the henhouse, at least they were the ones we found.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I also don't get how to write "people's yards" properly. I tried that way, "peoples' yards", and just "peoples yards" and none look right.
    People is already plural, so 's is correct; peoples means multiple separate populations, like a group of nations or tribes.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Free range chickens. The ones I keep seeing in people's yards with not even a fence between them and the road. Do they just know to stay home? Do they return to the right place to lay eggs? And then there are the coyotes and hawks.
    At our old house the people across the street had chickens. I'm not sure they were free range, but they would wander out of their yard and into ours. My wife thought it was cute, until one day one comes over and starts eating her cherry tomatoes.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We have free-range cats. Indoor only.

I am still scratching my head about Gloria Grahame getting top billing for a supporting role in the film production of Oklahoma!, with the opening credits finishing with "And introducing Shirley Jones." It must have been show-biz politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I am still scratching my head about Gloria Grahame getting top billing for a supporting role in the film production of Oklahoma!, with the opening credits finishing with "And introducing Shirley Jones." It must have been show-biz politics.
    Where did that movie take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It was probably because Grahame had won an Oscar a couple of years before, in a supporting role, and was thus 'bankable'. And as it was Jones' first film she would have been unknown to most people and thus not at all 'bankable' - regardless of her talents.

Also, contracts are an issue in things like that, which is one reason people don't reliably appear paired with their own pictures on movie posters.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It was probably because Grahame had won an Oscar a couple of years before, in a supporting role, and was thus 'bankable'. And as it was Jones' first film she would have been unknown to most people and thus not at all 'bankable' - regardless of her talents.
    That Oscar should explain it.

We've been watching the Tour de France. Some of the motorcycles that accompany the riders are a type with two smallish front wheels close together. I've seen them on the street occasionally. What's the point of that? I can see some point to the Bombardier Can-Am ones with two front wheels set widely, although you don't want those on the Tour. The close-set wheels don't seem like they'd be significantly more stable or anything and just add complexity.

We've been watching the Tour de France. Some of the motorcycles that accompany the riders are a type with two smallish front wheels close together. I've seen them on the street occasionally. What's the point of that? I can see some point to the Bombardier Can-Am ones with two front wheels set widely, although you don't want those on the Tour. The close-set wheels don't seem like they'd be significantly more stable or anything and just add complexity.
    Given their slow speeds up hills, wouldn't those serve for stability?
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Given their slow speeds up hills, wouldn't those serve for stability?
    Well that is what the organisers claim. https://www.letour.fr/en/news/2019/w...wheels/1276061 Plus it is also claimed that it helps carry the extra equipment for the Tour.

Still plenty of regular two-wheel ones along with them, though. Sounds like more of a sponsorship deal.

These Nikens seem to be very popular in France. Can't say I can remember ever seeing one in the UK.

Grant Hutchison