Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128
Results 3,811 to 3,818 of 3818

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    One can clearly go too far, I eat Porridge sometimes without worrying if my grandfather being Scottish is sufficient, and pasta and pizza and even tea without a thought about cultural appropriation.
    Obviously there is a spectrum, but I donít think the issue is what you eat in your own home. The issue is more about a company making a chain that sells bison burgers with a Native American theme and has their staff wear feather headdresses and carry tomahawks, that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I'm not quitting the board, I'm just getting less involved, particularly certain specific forums. And certainly it's not due to any single individual's influence.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Gillian, I expect the Japanese character you're referring to is Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell? The director of the anime himself didn't think much of the complaints, here's an article with his comments:
    Just a couple of thoughts about this. First of all, the director is (as far as I know) a Japanese living in Japan, and so is not a minority, so I think that Asian-American actors might have a different view than somebody who is actually part of the majority in their own culture, or at least it might influence that view. And then also, in the same way that a science fiction novel written in English might use English names for the characters for the sake of readers, in many cases (as Oshii explains) the writer wouldn't particularly care how the person is cast. Just as an example, if a science fiction movie was cast with say Asian actors, it wouldn't really make any difference, but if a movie on the American Revolution was cast with Asian actors, it would somehow seem odd, though it can be done as an artistic statement of some sort.
    As above, so below

I don't like the way the old CND sign has become just a piece of jewellery...is that subcultural appropriation, where symbols, font's icons are just sapped off for profit?
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    I don't like the way the old CND sign has become just a piece of jewellery...is that subcultural appropriation, where symbols, font's icons are just sapped off for profit?
    I don't get the above. What's a CND sign?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I don't get the above. What's a CND sign?

Unicode hex code Symbol
    262E
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Do you mean the widening of it to mean peace in general vs. just nuclear disarmament?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Do you mean the widening of it to mean peace in general vs. just nuclear disarmament?
    no, I mean to act as a vaguely 60s style jewellery fashion thing, that means nothing really, a lot of the time...well that's how it comes across to me.

It's quite a nice symbol, I think.
    Formerly Frog march.