Page 110 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3597

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Around here Subway sandwiches were referred to as "Salads on a bun" due to the amount of foliage most of our local franchises piled on.

If you wanted a really good sandwich, we were overrun with delis that could make you a better sandwich than Subway could put out. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. A deli on every corner, and two in the middle.
    The important question I have is, do they put the condiments on the bread or on the meats? It seems so backwards to make an Italian sub and then put the oil and vinegar on the meat, the same goes for mustard or mayo. Everything drips out of the sandwich. It goes on the bread.

I know what you're saying, but with so many delis it was always different.

The one that topped most of them for sandwiches was a deli called Little Luca's. But there were others that were so good that I still missed them.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    The important question I have is, do they put the condiments on the bread or on the meats? It seems so backwards to make an Italian sub and then put the oil and vinegar on the meat, the same goes for mustard or mayo. Everything drips out of the sandwich. It goes on the bread.
    Meat always goes on first - entirely as it should.

Edit: Looking at this important matter more closely it does appear that there is aly different ethos between the USA & Australian versions. The photos in Wikipedia of the USA version definitely show a preference for the condiments first while the Australian version has the meat first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_sandwich

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/...-italian-flair
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Jun-13 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

Edit: Looking at this important matter more closely it does appear that there is aly different ethos between the USA & Australian versions. The photos in Wikipedia of the USA version definitely show a preference for the condiments first while the Australian version has the meat first.

Agamemnon. I never knew what a "sub" was until now. I got oesophageal reflux just looking at the photos.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Agamemnon. I never knew what a "sub" was until now. I got oesophageal reflux just looking at the photos.

Grant Hutchison
    I get hungry looking at those photos.

Yes, "sub" is short for "submarine sandwich". My understanding is the name comes from the shape.

Subs have very regional names in the US, including hoagie, hero, poorboy (sometimes shortened to po'boy), and grinder.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes, "sub" is short for "submarine sandwich". My understanding is the name comes from the shape.
    That Wiki article claims that "Rolls filled with condiments have been common in several European countries for more than a century, notably in France and Scotland."
    Say what? Who makes this s... tuff up? I've eaten a lot of eccentric things on my native soil, but I've never even seen a "roll filled with condiments".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Subs have very regional names in the US, including hoagie, hero, poorboy (sometimes shortened to po'boy), and grinder.
    And once eaten they keep surfacing, and surfacing, and....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agamemnon.
    I'm curious. It looks like you're just using this as an interjection, expressing astonishment. Do I have that right (and is it just you that uses is that way, or is it common)? Or is the Greek hero somehow involved?
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm curious. It looks like you're just using this as an interjection, expressing astonishment. Do I have that right (and is it just you that uses is that way, or is it common)? Or is the Greek hero somehow involved?
    It's an expression of rather weary surprise - to the extent it references Agamemnon the foredoomed hero, I imagine it's saying, "Oh dear, I suppose I should have seen that one coming."
    I'm certainly not the only one using it, but it's maybe a bit rare.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

It's an expression of rather weary surprise - to the extent it references Agamemnon the foredoomed hero, I imagine it's saying, "Oh dear, I suppose I should have seen that one coming."
    Thanks! I found the usage entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

Blasphemer!

I grew up calling it a hero but around here, saying that I am craving an Italian hero can be problematic as Mr. Closetgeek is mostly German.

And then of course, there's the grinder. Absolutely delicious when made right.

And a local, older than myself sandwich place called Darby Dan's has this hot sandwich, ham, turkey, prosciutto and American and cheddar cheese. Heated open faced and then I slather it in yellow mustard.

Had one last night for dinner just because of the last few posts!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I've posted this before, but I STILL don't understand why news media organizations all have such terrible websites. NO, I DON'T want you to help me uninstall my ad blocker! And I know what the "play" button looks like, you don't need to push it for me while the site is still loading.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Grant Hutchison
    I am glad Grey has already asked the question as I was pretty much in the same state of mind as him. To me your use of it brings to mind,in a good way of course, Captains Haddock and Pugwash - two fine users of colourful language, both of whom would have been proud of the expression.

... Subs have very regional names in the US, including hoagie, hero, po'boy (sometimes extended to poorboy), and grinder.
    Fixed it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've posted this before, but I STILL don't understand why news media organizations all have such terrible websites. NO, I DON'T want you to help me uninstall my ad blocker! And I know what the "play" button looks like, you don't need to push it for me while the site is still loading.
    If I ruled the world, autoplay of videos would be illegal. There's a website I read where they have an option, if you've cookies installed, to turn off autoplay. But it always goes back when you've used a cookie cleaner.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    If I ruled the world, autoplay of videos would be illegal. There's a website I read where they have an option, if you've cookies installed, to turn off autoplay. But it always goes back when you've used a cookie cleaner.
    I'm absolutely 100% with you on this one, Its so annoying!!

The next version of HTML will apparently enable autoplay to be disabled by browser settings.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Originally Posted by Swift
    ... Subs have very regional names in the US, including hoagie, hero, po'boy (sometimes extended to poorboy), and grinder.
    Fixed it.
    You're fixing po'boys!?! I'll have a shrimp po'boy!

I don't get how intelligent people can fail to spot their glaringly contradictory views.

For example, I have a friend who says things like, and including, "all cultures are equally valid," and yet in practically the next sentence she can be criticizing some horrible, horrible behavior (e.g. FGM) that's part of another culture but not her own.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I don't get how intelligent people can fail to spot their glaringly contradictory views.

For example, I have a friend who says things like, and including, "all cultures are equally valid," and yet in practically the next sentence she can be criticizing some horrible, horrible behavior (e.g. FGM) that's part of another culture but not her own.
    “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
    ― George Orwell, Animal Farm

I've seen otherwise intelligent people endorse self-contradictory views often enough that it no longer really surprises me. Human intelligence is amazingly flexible, including the ability to hold multiple contradictory thoughts at the same time.

I've seen otherwise intelligent people endorse self-contradictory views often enough that it no longer really surprises me. Human intelligence is amazingly flexible, including the ability to hold multiple contradictory thoughts at the same time.
    One thing a proper course in philosophy (as opposed to a simplistic "great ideas" sort of course) teaches us is that we all hold self-contradictory views - it just depends on how deep we're prepared to dig and how analytical we want to be.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - the Red Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - the Red Queen
    I thought of the same quote, but I didn't want to get too quote happy in my post.

We're searching for homeowner's insurance, and many companies will provide a quote online if you answer some questions.

However, the questions they ask vary wildly. I can understand asking if we own a dog, and even a trampoline.
    But how can it possibly matter how many rooms have crown molding?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    We're searching for homeowner's insurance, and many companies will provide a quote online if you answer some questions.

However, the questions they ask vary wildly. I can understand asking if we own a dog, and even a trampoline.
    Probably trying to figure out how much it would cost to replace your home.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

It does if your insurance covers replacing the moulding in the event of water damage from a leak upstairs. We have very deep plaster crown moulding in some of our rooms, one section of which was damaged by a burst pipe upstairs. Turned out our insurance covered wallpaper, carpet and furniture, but not the crown moulding, which we had apparently "failed to declare". Cost an arm and a leg to fix, too.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I don't get the venom that's being spat upon the new Star Wars movies online by "fans". It's surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I don't get the venom that's being spat upon the new Star Wars movies online by "fans". It's surreal.
    Well, it was a terrible film. I wish I'd followed Thandie Newton's lead.
    I'm more of a "weary shrug" kind of guy, but it seems to me that SF fan culture on the internet is all about feeling protective and feeling betrayed and getting all hot and bothered. Which tips some people over into shouty tirades, bilious vomiting and death threats. Which is another reason I avoid social media and customer reviews.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Well, it was a terrible film. I wish I'd followed Thandie Newton's lead.
    I'm more of a "weary shrug" kind of guy, but it seems to me that SF fan culture on the internet is all about feeling protective and feeling betrayed and getting all hot and bothered. Which tips some people over into shouty tirades, bilious vomiting and death threats. Which is another reason I avoid social media and customer reviews.

Grant Hutchison
    What's terrible about Solo? I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Terrible is a Michael Bay movie.