Page 111 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3551

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    What's terrible about Solo? I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Terrible is a Michael Bay movie.
    It seems I haven't seen a Michael Bay movie since The Rock, which I quite enjoyed. I'll take your word that he makes terrible movies.
    But the fact the temperature scale goes all the way down to 0K doesn't prevent a couple of hours in a -50C blizzard being a terrible experience.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

And if you believe that, that's fine. I know people who agree with you and people who were meh about it and people who quite liked it. (We haven't seen it; we don't get out much.) What I don't get is an attitude from people that their opinion is the right one and that disagreeing with that is simply wrong. And proves that people who like the thing are also wrong, probably about a lot of things.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Large lockerrooms equipt with light sensors and no manual controlls.
    It's hard to get dressed and get equipment when the lights just WON'T come on.

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And if you believe that, that's fine. I know people who agree with you and people who were meh about it and people who quite liked it. (We haven't seen it; we don't get out much.) What I don't get is an attitude from people that their opinion is the right one and that disagreeing with that is simply wrong. And proves that people who like the thing are also wrong, probably about a lot of things.
    Um ...
    Was that directed at me? Or at the overwrought Star Wars fans SkepticJ referred to? Or a general comment?
    Because it seemed to start from me, but then riff off in a rather (to me, at least) unexpected direction.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Um ...
    Was that directed at me? Or at the overwrought Star Wars fans SkepticJ referred to? Or a general comment?
    Because it seemed to start from me, but then riff off in a rather (to me, at least) unexpected direction.
    "They're wrong about a movie I disliked, so that proves that online reviews and also social media aren't worth it." At least, that was what I read. Would you all be surprised to discover that I think of this as social media?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

"They're wrong about a movie I disliked, so that proves that online reviews and also social media aren't worth it." At least, that was what I read.
    Then you were utterly mistaken, and I'm actually at a loss to see how you could possibly take that from what I wrote, especially in the context in which I wrote it.
    I don't get the venom that's being spat upon the new Star Wars movies online by "fans". It's surreal.
    Well, it was a terrible film. I wish I'd followed Thandie Newton's lead.
    I'm more of a "weary shrug" kind of guy, but it seems to me that SF fan culture on the internet is all about feeling protective and feeling betrayed and getting all hot and bothered. Which tips some people over into shouty tirades, bilious vomiting and death threats. Which is another reason I avoid social media and customer reviews.
    The "fans" SkepticJ mentioned don't like the movie. And I didn't like the movie. So it should be pretty obvious that I actually agree with the basic opinion of the people whose behaviour SkepticJ is concerned about.
    The aspect in which I think they're wrong is in their "venom" - the shouty abusive response. I dislike all shouty abusive behaviour, no matter whether it comes from someone I agree with or someone I disagree with.
    And that is why I avoid customer reviews and the generality of social media - because it seems that sort of behaviour can blow up, on any side of an argument, in the blink of an eye.

Would you all be surprised to discover that I think of this as social media?
    I wouldn't.
    It is distinguished by being a serene refuge from abusive loonspuddery, however.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

A technical question: I had lunch in a Mexican restaurant. From where I was sitting, I could see two TV's, both turned to the same World Cup match between Argentina and Nigeria. After a while I realized that the picture on one was ahead of the other, not just fractionally, but a full five seconds. What's up with that?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A technical question: I had lunch in a Mexican restaurant. From where I was sitting, I could see two TV's, both turned to the same World Cup match between Argentina and Nigeria. After a while I realized that the picture on one was ahead of the other, not just fractionally, but a full five seconds. What's up with that?
    Perhaps one of the broadcasters was using a delay line as a nanny measure against indecent language or exposure. I heard that the NFL did that in the aftermath of the Janet Jackson caper.

The two sets may have been tuned to different channels covering the game -- maybe to take advantage of different languages on the audio.

Used to be I'd get a delayed picture and sound on a TV attached to the cable box, as compared to the same program on another set connected to the bare cable. Tye4 former has more channels and adds some information, I guess.

I find soccer so slow-moving, I'm not sure I could detect a delay.

Hard to know what the GGOOAALL of that was.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My guess is one tv was connected to the master receiver and the other was connected to a slave. The signal is received by the master and sent to its tv. The same signal is retransmitted to the slave at the same time. The slave then re-retransmits the signal to its tv resulting in a delay.

We have the same thing happening on our tvs. The one upstairs is on the master and runs just a tick ahead of the one downstairs.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Live streaming video on the internet is typically several seconds to a minute behind the broadcast version, simply because it travels farther and through more processes on the way to the screen.
    This World Cup has again produced baffled complaints from football fans about how they were receiving social media notification of goals before the goal was scored on the stream they were watching.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I think one TV was picking up the signal from an alternative dimension where the match had started five seconds later in their reality. But otherwise, their reality was the same as ours.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Live streaming video on the internet is typically several seconds to a minute behind the broadcast version, simply because it travels farther and through more processes on the way to the screen.
    This World Cup has again produced baffled complaints from football fans about how they were receiving social media notification of goals before the goal was scored on the stream they were watching.

Grant Hutchison
    Sounds like the makings of a reboot of The Sting.

Those were only two of six or eight TV's in the restaurant, so I suppose there's some sort of relaying going on.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't get the venom that's being spat upon the new Star Wars movies online by "fans". It's surreal.
    It's a pre-sequels essay, but...Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It's a pre-sequels essay, but...Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars.
    Yeah. I think identifying George Lucas as the particular trigger for the Star Wars "culture of venom" is spot-on. From an early age, a lot of fans have learned to think that someone is determined to break their Platonic ideal of Star Wars. There's a documentary about it, entitled The People vs. George Lucas, which is amusing and spine-chilling in equal proportions.

But it doesn't address the wider issue in SF fandom (particularly of TV and movie series) of how some folk (vocal minority) don a self-appointed mantle of "protectiveness", and characterize themselves as being "betrayed" by simple plot twists or character changes. I guess if you invest a lot of time and effort in your fan status (as happens in SF perhaps more than other genres), and you find yourself not liking the thing in which you've invested a chunk of your identity, then an outpouring of venom is how you protect your sense of self and worth. Social media of course now lets these folk come together and self-reinforce in an intense sort of way that was harder to do in the slow, space-limited days of mimeographed fanzines.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I understand that when Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes, a great many of his fans responded negatively, as if he had no right to do that.
    I'm sure that there are earlier cases.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I understand that when Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes, a great many of his fans responded negatively, as if he had no right to do that.
    I'm sure that there are earlier cases.
    Shakespeare killed off both Romeo and Juliet! They could have had a sequel like Rosencrantz and Gildenstern.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Why do people (spectators) feel the need to get violent and aggressive at sporting events? I like my sport, competing & spectating and I get very passionate and often emotional. But I never feel, at any point, the need to get violent or aggressive towards opposing team supporters. Even if I see a rival competitor or team cheat or get away with something they shouldn't have, though angry and/or disappointed I would never feel the need to harm another person.

It makes me angry to see supporters/fans pointlessly fighting like animals over something that is so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Contact lenses, I couldn't get over poking myself in the eye everyday. Do people get them just because of vanity?

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Contact lenses, I couldn't get over poking myself in the eye everyday. Do people get them just because of vanity?
    People may well get them out of "vanity" - ie, because they don't like the way they look wearing glasses.
    But many people get them for practical reasons - spectacles aren't great for some sports, or in heavy rain or snow. (I once had a near-death experience because of the combination of blizzard conditions and spectacles.) They're terrible if you have to wear a surgical mask and sterile gloves for most of the day, they're a hassle with sunglasses, telescopes, binoculars and microscopes, and pretty much impossible to use with loupes and diving masks. When near-sighted people get older, combining a pair of cheap reading glasses with contacts is less nauseating for some than bifocals or varifocals (and some go the whole hog and use different contact lens corrections in each eye.)

And if you poke yourself in the eye while inserting contact lenses, you're just plain doing it wrong.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I wear contacts occasionally, and I find I have more trouble getting them out than I do putting them in.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I wish I *could* wear contacts. I actually have a sort of inverted vanity issue; wearing glasses is such a part of my self-image that I feel very uncomfortable and self-conscious without them. Glasses really do get in the way of using binoculars. As a birder, there's sometimes nothing I'd rather be than "normal" sighted. But my eyes will not abide contact lenses. I've tried a plethora of types, brands, methods of cleaning and storing, "hacks" and whatever else. After about an hour or two, my body completely hazes the contacts over and I feel like I have two five-pounds rubber disks in my eyes. By the end of another hour I have enough mucous over the lenses that people wonder if I have cataracts.

I'm quite near-sighted (-7.5 and -9.0, R and L), which adds complications for other correction methods, and I believe I am past the age that lasik makes sense (I was never considered a good candidate for it at any rate).

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

I know how bad glasses can be in snow and rain but never had any problems with telescopes.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Why do people (spectators) feel the need to get violent and aggressive at sporting events? I like my sport, competing & spectating and I get very passionate and often emotional. But I never feel, at any point, the need to get violent or aggressive towards opposing team supporters. Even if I see a rival competitor or team cheat or get away with something they shouldn't have, though angry and/or disappointed I would never feel the need to harm another person.

It makes me angry to see supporters/fans pointlessly fighting like animals over something that is so trivial in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't know. But my short answer is that some people are idiots and some just like having an excuse to be aggressive. The consumption of large quantities of ethyl alcohol is also a likely contributing factor.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'll take your word that he makes terrible movies.
    Don't. Michael Bay makes excellent movies.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't know. But my short answer is that some people are idiots and some just like having an excuse to be aggressive. The consumption of large quantities of ethyl alcohol is also a likely contributing factor.
    there was research on football fans (UK) who were interested in fighting and used the sport as a venue and excuse. I have read there are similar Russian football fighters. While it might be still a problem the worst were dealt with by exclusions and other police actions. They were trained and sober so the question becomes why do some young men find fighting satisfactory. It's a gang related thing I guess. Any tribal style enemy will do, and violence seems to fill a hole left by lack of education, alienation with society and proper care. There is a social science element here .
    https://www.footballhooligans.org.uk/
    Last edited by profloater; 2018-Jun-29 at 02:06 PM. Reason: i forgot my reference
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Grant pretty much covered it, but Iíll add that it is also nice being able to see what the barber is doing, or being able to see where the soap goes when you drop it in the shower.

On the other hand, I can do spectral analysis on light sources when I wear my glasses by simply looking askew at the object.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by The Physics Detective View Post
    Don't. Michael Bay makes excellent movies.
    Oh no. You're tell me it's a matter of opinion? Has the world gone mad?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: