Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3551

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh no. You're tell me it's a matter of opinion? Has the world gone mad?

Grant Hutchison
    I had to look him up, then realised I have seen many of these Bay movies, ridiculous but fun would be my view. I note he cut his teeth on commercials, always a good sign for a cutter, but my research has not spread to who edited all those works, it's the editor that counts IMO.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I had to look him up, then realised I have seen many of these Bay movies, ridiculous but fun would be my view. I note he cut his teeth on commercials, always a good sign for a cutter, but my research has not spread to who edited all those works, it's the editor that counts IMO.
    Seconded. Great unsung heroes of cinema.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

"Dissin' by the Doc of the Bay," eh? Almost lyrical.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    "Dissin' by the Doc of the Bay," eh? Almost lyrical.

But it is soul-sappingly necessary for me to point out that I did not diss Michael Bay - I know next to nothing about him.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

An editor can only work with what they have. Editors are indeed one of many unsung heroes of film, but there's only so much they can do if the material they're working with is flawed. What learning a great deal about moviemaking has taught me is that no one person is responsible for the end result of a movie. A lot of my online friends ascribe to the auteur theory, but it seems to me that even the Coens, who write, direct, and edit their own movies, rely on a lot of people for most of the actual work. They have to; they cannot, for example, do all their own acting!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    An editor can only work with what they have. Editors are indeed one of many unsung heroes of film, but there's only so much they can do if the material they're working with is flawed. What learning a great deal about moviemaking has taught me is that no one person is responsible for the end result of a movie. A lot of my online friends ascribe to the auteur theory, but it seems to me that even the Coens, who write, direct, and edit their own movies, rely on a lot of people for most of the actual work. They have to; they cannot, for example, do all their own acting!
    Agreed, but the editor can rescue bad scenes and certainly can wreck good acting. I used to live next door to a sound editor and sat in a few times. The difference delivered over hours of work on a few seconds of final result was really eye opening. When you come to the visual work, when to cut, the interposing of short and long, i came to realise that the edit is where a great film is made. And from what i see, directors are not usually great editors even though their egos are greater. Of course it’s a team effort, that’s true but too much is made of the director and indeed the big name stars and not enough on the costumes, the set finders andespecially the sound. Over dubbed movies really upset my suspension of disbelief!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

A while back, I stumbled across a YouTube video titled something like “How editing saved Star Wars”. It was pretty enlightening to someone like me, who knows nothing about film making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

People who spend a lot of their time gossiping about others. Are they that insecure that they only ways they can feel better themselves is to belittle others.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    A while back, I stumbled across a YouTube video titled something like “How editing saved Star Wars”. It was pretty enlightening to someone like me, who knows nothing about film making.
    There are a few classic "editing rescues" - Top Gun is the poster child, in part because dialogue could in many places be easily shifted relative to the action - it was being spoken inside a helmet-and-facemask or as radio comms, and had in any case been recorded separately.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

My dad told me about some editing that turned the Marx Brothers' A Night at the Opera from just ordinary to a hilarious hit. His understanding was that in a test screening the interval between gags was just a few seconds too long for the best effect. After those intervals were shortened with some judicious cutting, there was still just enough chuckling among the viewers from the previous gag that the laughter built on itself when the next one came along, which got the viewers into a hilarious uproar. When I saw it on TV decades later, the commercials spoiled the timing.

There are several moments in Young Frankenstein that strike for a quick and effective laugh, and then proceed to wallow on and on and on explaining the joke and compounding it. I once suggested a few cuts that would improve it, but was treated like some kind of heretic. Hey, if Mel Brooks says it's funny, it must be!

Apparently, Annie Hall was written--and filmed!--as a completely different genre of movie. It's still a Woody Allen movie, but I think it was originally a murder mystery or something, and the movie we see now is the subplot.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

people who lack a sense humor,

Since Gillian mentioned him...

I don't get Woody Allen movies being as popular as they are. The same with the sitcom Seinfeld.

Mind you, Jerry Seinfeld has never given me cause for offense, we just don't see the same things eye to eye, humor-wise.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I don't think I even seen a Woody Allen movie. Sometimes I Seinfeld makes me laugh, the last episode more than others.
    Friends is one I really didn't get, I finally saw the finale and still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I don't think I even seen a Woody Allen movie. Sometimes I Seinfeld makes me laugh, the last episode more than others.
    Friends is one I really didn't get, I finally saw the finale and still nothing.
    Okay, there was ONE time I laughed, but only because the Army was trying hunt down and contain a giant, (giantess?) escaped mammary gland that was out running amok.

Live action too. They used a large weather balloon filled with regular air, I believe, for the monster.

Hey, I was fourteen at the time. It's allowed.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Monty Python had similar stuff.

Here are the things I don't get about Friends.

First of Monica is suppose to a chef, Chefs work like 15 hours a day. And if she was a Chef she wouldn't have the holidays off she be cooking for people who had the day off.

Ross, I don't really like David Schwimmer as an actor. Second if he was and Paleontologists he would be working long hours. If you do make list of why to date or not to date someone don't write it down.

Pheobe is actually played an actress who has a degree in biology, I think evolutionary biology so her going anti-evolutionary on Ross was so bad. Plus what does she do for living and why isn't she doing. I think she is suppose to a taxi driver at one point, that is another 12 hours a day job.

Joey if he was really interested in being an actor he would working a lot harder then he is, I hear the busiest time between acting gigs. Even back then he could had a blog tht was just starting then and maybe later a podcast. Some actors like Chris Hardwick have done this route and done very well.

Plus I find them all kind of horrible people their isn't much discussion of the larger issues they are all self absorbed, they pick on the people who not up their standards and their is hardly anyone different then themselves around.

Yes all sitcoms the people are not the greatest because they are making fun at issues we all have but I just didn't get the big deal about them.

Friends: The Romance of Friendship

There were a lot of things about Friends that I didn't get, and your complaints are common ones. How did these barely-employed barely middle-class people afford so much free time and huge New York apartments?

But I'll give them this: Even when I was young and required by law to spend long hours with people my own age and with similar interests, I never had friendships like what they have on that show. I suspect I never will.

I don't get how it works "I'm 20years old and my uncle is 60yo. I'm older than him 3 times. But in 20 years, when I will be 40, he will be older than me only twice?

What was the basis for choosing wood for different parts? Nice work btw

Re: Woody Allen movies, if I know it's one of his movies ahead of time, I have a real hard time with it, because I think he's a bit reprehensible. But I did like Midnight in Paris (I "accidentally" watched in on a plane flight, having heard nothing about it, prior).

I also never "got" Friends, for the same reasons noted above. I tried watching Sex and the City and was appalled. But I also never "got" Firefly (still don't) or Twin Peaks, so who knows any more..

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

On the subject of TV shows, I am starting (well, it's be a few seaons now) not to get The Big Bang Theory. There's been almost no "coming together" of the couples and friends on geekdom. Penny still has the same disdain for everything nerdy and geeky - nothing has rubbed off or made an impression in over a decade. I find it implausible that Amy (for sure) and Bernadette (maybe not as much) aren't ALREADY into some of the same things their significant others are. One of the best episodes is when Zack dresses as Superman with the group. The show came so close to doing something different and awesome. Zack, as "dumb" as they make him, seems genuinely curious and wants to know about this stuff!

Anyway.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I liked Friends up until the last couple of seasons, where the whole thing just wore thin. And, no, Joey couldn't have had a blog or podcast when the show started. Blogging didn't become popular until midway through the series, and podcasting began the year the show ended.

I don't think Woody Allen is funny, and I don't get why it's used to excuse his actions. But then, I don't get why a lot of people's actions get excused.

"You can't erase icing."

My point about joey he is he could of been doing more for his career,

I still like TBBT, Penny has grown some but not as much as the boys have over the years. I liked Zak he at least had some curiosity about some of the things the guys were into. I did telescope tours at one university and at another ran the telescope for a couple of first year courses and the nights I enjoyed were the ones when people were actually interested rath than just there for a course, some of the ones there just for a course would talk about Friends (It was a Thursday night).

There are people in the science that are interested in Sci-fi or anything really geeky. There are some that just got into because they were good in math or biology. There are some in these fields that don't like the geeky image and try to force people into being normal like me. There are people who have some the characteristics and likes of the guys but there are all kinds in a spectrum. There are some that are religious but like stuff like Dr Who and there are some that look like Sheldon and play a lot of games.

Maybe. But if you've been in a relationship with someone for years and don't know anything about your significant other's hobbies, you're in a bad relationship. And it's a little suspicious that it's the women on the show who know nothing about sci-fi and comic books and so forth; it's gatekeeping and suggestive of "fake geek girls."

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Maybe. But if you've been in a relationship with someone for years and don't know anything about your significant other's hobbies, you're in a bad relationship. And it's a little suspicious that it's the women on the show who know nothing about sci-fi and comic books and so forth; it's gatekeeping and suggestive of "fake geek girls."
    To be a little fair, there have been moments in the show where Penny blurts something out about a fandom or science fact or whatever. But often they then have her admonish whomever they were with not to let Leonard know she said it, or she acts mortified at what's happened to her life. At this point (and it was trending this was at the show's inception - that's why the show could be made), sci-fi and comics are mainstream, and the show could be doing some real good with the issues Gillian mentioned: gatekeeping and so-called "fake geek girls", but it barely delves into that, and in fact reinforces some of the worst stereotypes. Why *am* I watching that show?

I guess because it still has good, funny, turn the brain off moments, and it does at times treat some of these things us geeks have loved for so long with care and the right "touch", but Jeekas, it gets harder each season to wade through the rest of it.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Bitcoin.
    While I think I understand the original intent- a currency disconnected from government control- I don’t get what it has become.

Due to speculation, the price is so volatile, that people who own it won’t spend it for fear the value will jump tomorrow. Meanwhile, people selling stuff don’t want it because it can drop just as fast. So it Bitcoin appears to be useless as a currency.

As a speculation target, I also don’t get it. Can it easily be converted into a currency that is useful? What good is it if the “value” goes up, if you can’t exchange it for goods or services?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyStingray View Post
    I don't get how it works "I'm 20years old and my uncle is 60yo. I'm older than him 3 times. But in 20 years, when I will be 40, he will be older than me only twice?
    My bold. That should be He's older than me three times. Then it works mathematically.
    Last edited by Hornblower; 2018-Jul-05 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Fix a misspelling