Page 113 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3551

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My bold. That should be He's older than me three times. Then it works mathematically.
    Abbott and Costello had a similar problem.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6JcXXAqec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    To be a little fair, there have been moments in the show where Penny blurts something out about a fandom or science fact or whatever. But often they then have her admonish whomever they were with not to let Leonard know she said it, or she acts mortified at what's happened to her life. At this point (and it was trending this was at the show's inception - that's why the show could be made), sci-fi and comics are mainstream, and the show could be doing some real good with the issues Gillian mentioned: gatekeeping and so-called "fake geek girls", but it barely delves into that, and in fact reinforces some of the worst stereotypes. Why *am* I watching that show?
    "Don't let someone I care about know that I care about his interests" is also not a sign of a great relationship. But, yeah, it's a real problem when media reinforces these images.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Blogs, vlogs, & podcasts, at least from ordinary people on ordinary subjects...

I understand it for either experts or specialty subjects, because in those cases there's an audience, for a clear & obvious reason. Some people will want to see/hear about unusual subjects that most other people aren't talking about, or see/hear about whatever subject they have in mind from one of the people who know it best. But, to use the example from recently here: why would anybody want to hear from an out-of-work actor about whatever crosses an out-of-work actor's mind? What could he even think anybody would listen to him for? There's nothing he could contribute, or at least nothing that thousands of others couldn't and aren't already. And I wouldn't start one because I'm in pretty much the same position myself. I can't think of anything to say that I can imagine strangers wanting to hear. For that matter, I usually don't even come up with anything to say on FaceBook that I'd expect anybody to want to hear, and that's a pretty small group consisting entirely of people who actually know me and thus have more reason to pay attention than most of the rest of the world has!

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Blogs, vlogs, & podcasts, at least from ordinary people on ordinary subjects...
    Yes
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Spiralizers.
    Lets take vegetables that are fundamentally easy to eat, and turn them into novelty noodles about three feet long. Then stand back and watch people try to wind them back into their orginal shape so that they can, you know, get the vegetable into their mouths. To eat it.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

But they look pretty.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    But they look pretty.
    I don't want to hang them on my wall. I want to eat them.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Husband chairs by the ladies' changing rooms in department stores. Especially if they have WiFi.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Husband chairs by the ladies' changing rooms in department stores. Especially if they have WiFi.
    Husband chairs? My opinion on matters of lady-dressing has never been sought. And quite right too, on many levels simultaneously.
    Are you sure they're "husband chairs"? They're always occupied by women, as far as I can make out. The WiFi allows the photograph of the new clothes to be immediately shared.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Husband chairs? My opinion on matters of lady-dressing has never been sought. And quite right too, on many levels simultaneously.
    Are you sure they're "husband chairs"? They're always occupied by women, as far as I can make out. The WiFi allows the photograph of the new clothes to be immediately shared.

Grant Hutchison
    Well, nuts. That was supposed to be in the "makes me happy" thread! No, it's not my opinion being sought but I am usually expected to walk around with her.

Well, nuts. That was supposed to be in the "makes me happy" thread! No, it's not my opinion being sought but I am usually expected to walk around with her.
    We had a Memorandum of Understanding when we got engaged, that we'd never go shopping together.
    This concept reached its apotheosis when my wife bought our current house - and I didn't see it till the day we moved in.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Why women, as a general rule, are so into fashion. What's the appeal? I don't get why many men are so obsessed with sports that other people play; rich men playing with balls, woo hoo.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Grant Hutchison
    I can't speak to all uses of the chairs outside of women's changing rooms, but I know I have sat in them on multiple occasions. And yes, both my wife and I agree that my shopping with her when she is shopping for clothes is a bad idea, but various circumstances over the decades have forced such situations. I can also attest to seeing other males in said chairs.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Why women, as a general rule, are so into fashion. What's the appeal? I don't get why many men are so obsessed with sports that other people play; rich men playing with balls, woo hoo.
    People can watch whatever they want as far as I am concerned. But there are some that think you are not a "man" unless you watch sports and give grief to people who don't like sports. There is a lot more to being grown then playing and watching games.

The short answer is "socialization," of course. There's a long answer, but I don't feel entirely qualified to give it.

What I don't get is why the people who are going to look at the clothing don't care what they'll be looking at. Yes, all right--as Graham points out every time I talk about buying clothing (not often, for a number of reasons), I'm the one who will be wearing it. The first priority is "is it comfortable?" The second is "do I like the way I look in it?" But the third is "will Graham like the way I look in it?" And it's nigh impossible to get that opinion, even if it's just a comment on whether I should get it in blue or green.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    People can watch whatever they want as far as I am concerned. But there are some that think you are not a "man" unless you watch sports and give grief to people who don't like sports. There is a lot more to being grown then playing and watching games.
    But do they say that to your face or are they talking about others like that in front of you? Big difference between the two situations. One should get the speaker ignored. The other should get the speaker a short, sharp shock. ( Or at the very least an invitation to perform an anatomically impossible sex act with himself.)

That's your choice which is which though.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

In the case of our recent shopping trip, my wife has lost a fair amount of weight so it was time for a new wardrobe.

That is good reason to go shopping.

In the case of our recent shopping trip, my wife has lost a fair amount of weight so it was time for a new wardrobe.
    Do you contribute opinions, or do you just tag along for company?

For the Boon Companion and I, the only opinion we could venture is, "I honestly don't mind." Neither of us has ever come home with an item of clothing that the other found in any way objectionable, unaesthetic or ill-judged.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

For the Boon Companion and I, the only opinion we could venture is, "I honestly don't mind." Neither of us has ever come home with an item of clothing that the other found in any way objectionable, unaesthetic or ill-judged.

Grant Hutchison
    What size you wear Doc?

I'll send you something.

Grant Hutchison
    Company, I guess. And assistance in navigating the store, especially figuring out which of five possible doors is the one we parked by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Maybe. But if you've been in a relationship with someone for years and don't know anything about your significant other's hobbies, you're in a bad relationship. And it's a little suspicious that it's the women on the show who know nothing about sci-fi and comic books and so forth; it's gatekeeping and suggestive of "fake geek girls."
    They added a female character right at the end of the recent season who's a total comics geek (enough so to even impress Sheldon), but, yes, it's kind of like too little, too late.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    But do they say that to your face or are they talking about others like that in front of you? Big difference between the two situations. One should get the speaker ignored. The other should get the speaker a short, sharp shock. ( Or at the very least an invitation to perform an anatomically impossible sex act with himself.)

That's your choice which is which though.
    The problem with communicating with some of these people is that their head is located in a region that is dark and sound proof and the only entrance is rather smelly.

People who have to spin there tires. I have friend who does videos and him and his son once and a while do spin outs.

Demonstration of engine power Backroad.

My old neighborhood had no less five widely known and famous hotrod shops within a mile of each other.

So I know your pain.

Well at least he is on the other side of town. But I have a couple of neighbors who are into hotrods and they can make some noise.
    ETA: We not completely innocent in the noise area. At times we can have tractors chainsaws and some other equipment going.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jul-19 at 05:47 PM.

It appears there is a current fashion among young women to shave one side of their heads. I dont get that at all.

It appears there is a current fashion among young women to shave one side of their heads. I dont get that at all.
    Actually it's both sides of their heads and they wear a "long mohawk" as a sort of comb over.

Started decades ago with the lead singer of Bow Wow Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Actually it's both sides of their heads and they wear a "long mohawk" as a sort of comb over.
    I'm definitely seeing just one side.