Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 2916

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Having enough guts to admit "in front of" Clive Barker (via Twitter) that I'm trying to get a project published. And if I'm rejected by those 4 publishers, he'll know. I don't get how I have that much bravery, seriously. My head's swimming a bit.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Why Johnny Depp just doesn't do the smart thing, and reunite with Winona Ryder.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    AFAIK, neither has scripts. They only have "stage directions."

    I do, however, have an original Seinfeld script - "The Big Salad." Must be worth a fortune.
    I heard once that a wrestler grunted three times during a hold in rehersal. The director told him to "Cut one of the grunts."

    "Which one?" he asked.



  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The continued popularity of "professional wrestling."
    My father used to watch it on TV and laugh at it. He went to a live show once and almost ended up in the hospital because his fellow attendees did not appreciate his reaction.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    10,817
    I've been working with children who are on the extreme end of the autistic spectrum and a lot of things happen that I just don't understand.

    Today, one child took a shine to me. He took my hand then walked me around the room. I have no idea what he wanted or needed, but it felt pretty good to know that he noticed me and wanted me to go with him.
    Solfe

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,283
    Professional wrestling used to bother me, until I accepted it is just another scripted program.
    I still don't get the appeal, though.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Oh, those shows I mentioned have plenty of profanity. Not much wholesomeness in moonshiners, either. And the DD guys have shown their wholesomeness through racism and homophobia.
    examples, please... just make sure that the examples you use are complete quotes and not taken out of context..

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Professional wrestling used to bother me, until I accepted it is just another scripted program.
    I still don't get the appeal, though.
    wrestling hasn't been real since Wrestlemania 3..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOCqV23VkXU
    Last edited by novaderrik; 2014-Jan-17 at 10:45 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,385
    During our high school years, my brother used to go to see wrestling cards at Chicago's International Amphitheater on a regular basis.

    Once he told me that next week, he'd be seeing a Congo Death Match. What the heck was that, I had to ask. As he explained it, they set up a cage around the ring. Only the two wrestlers are allowed in – no referee. And, get this: Only one man can come out alive.

    Wow! Even I might buy a ticket to see that.
    Nahhh!

    Anyway, when he gets back home on Congo Death Night, I have to ask him who won. The unspoken component is: who was sacrificed?

    "The cage broke. They had to call it a draw."

    Well (looking back) of course it had to be a technical draw! That probably happened in every city on the tour, right?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    Any so called 'reality' show. For two reasons:
    1) The minute you bring in a bunch of cameras, producers, etc.; it's no longer 'reality'
    2) Why do people even care about the vapid, stupid, catty behavior in those shows in the first place?

    'Celebrities' that have no actual talent, i.e. all the Kardashians. Heck, a significant % of celebrities have no actual talent. Yet some folks worship their every move.
    I second this, I'm completely baffled by the appeal of people who are famous because they're famous...how does it happen in the first place?
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    I second this, I'm completely baffled by the appeal of people who are famous because they're famous...how does it happen in the first place?
    PR people. create enough hype, and suddenly everyone's inner hipster is awakened and they will claim they knew about them before they were famous.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    7,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Viehoff View Post
    Given the subject of this forum, I suppose I ought to own up that I never really go the tilt part of the Equation of Time (ie why days from true noon to true noon are not precisely 24 hrs). The bit due to orbital eccentricity I find no problem at all, but that only supplies about a third of the effect. But whilst I know I have several times managed to persuade myself of the truth of tilt factor by following the argument in the textbook until I can say "yes, that is self-evident" - though it is still a matter of surprise to me it is so large - each time I immediately forget what is self-evident about it. So I have to go back to the textbook each time I want to believe it again, and persuade myself.
    I empathize with you on this one. I understand it perfectly and find it easy to demonstrate on a globe or a suitable chart, but verbalizing it to a novice without visual aids is a beastly job. It is not only those without advanced mathematical knowhow that have problems with it. I once knew two world class engineers, one of whom was first in his class at M. I. T., who had trouble. I had a hard time convincing them that if the Earth had a circular orbit the analemma would be a symmetrical figure eight.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    How very beautiful, thanks for sharing! Their tuning is admirable, all the more for the probably rather lousy acoustics in a supermarket.
    It helps that it's classical students from the Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, Southern Denmark.
    When it's classical conservatory training vs. bad acoustics, it'll take really horribly bad acoustics to not sound good. Adjusting to the acoustics is part of the training.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    i'm pretty sure that most people that would buy that particular poster are NOT teenage girls.. or even girls, for that matter..
    Actually I would buy that poster...20 years ago, when I was in the Army. For exactly the same reason the entire Pioneer Platoon went out and bought Care Bears - we all got one and sat them up on the 200m-line of the rifle range.

    The shower of exploding cotton was soooooo satisfying....

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    Actually I would buy that poster...20 years ago, when I was in the Army. For exactly the same reason the entire Pioneer Platoon went out and bought Care Bears - we all got one and sat them up on the 200m-line of the rifle range.

    The shower of exploding cotton was soooooo satisfying....
    Have you ever seen the Mad TV where they rebrand The Green Lantern as a Carebear?
    Solfe

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Have you ever seen the Mad TV where they rebrand The Green Lantern as a Carebear?
    Nope - As I recall; we blew about 20 Care Bears and an equal number of Smurfs (They're smaller; we used the 100m line) into the Netherworld. I won't mention what we did with a Barney doll on the mortar range.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    12,696
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    Actually I would buy that poster...20 years ago, when I was in the Army. For exactly the same reason the entire Pioneer Platoon went out and bought Care Bears - we all got one and sat them up on the 200m-line of the rifle range.

    The shower of exploding cotton was soooooo satisfying....
    I've seen a Furby flung from a trebuchet! It was quite speechless afterwards.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    29,963
    I was at an anime con with a Pikachu piñata as part of the goings-on. I still have a bit of the skin somewhere; there was a lot of animosity.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,618
    I've tried. Every time my friend throws a LAN party, I am a good sport and play along but I just don't get it. I don't get the appeal of Minecraft. I feel so alone.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    10,817
    Oh, we are addicted to Minecraft. I even have my own blog for it. I haven't posted in a while, because I have been playing too much. The kids really love it.
    Solfe

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,691
    Civil War Re-enactment. (Any)

    And Ren-Fairs.


    (As someone who plays Dungeons & Dragons, I'm not judging.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Civil War Re-enactment. (Any)

    And Ren-Fairs.

    (As someone who plays Dungeons & Dragons, I'm not judging.)
    Grey's Anatomy has a funny take on the whole re-enactment thing. Two guys are "re-enacting World War Two" and manage to build and fire a bazooka with disastrous results. The bazooka doesn't fire at first, so one of them looks down the tube. The shell or whatever hits him in the chest, also failing to detonate so the guy goes to the hospital with it buried in his chest.

    His wife and the re-enactor friend show up. Hilarity ensues.

    Wife: "Who re-enacts World War Two???" Slap-slap-slap!

    It is really not a funny thing, but at the same time it is.
    Solfe

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    34,619
    I don't really get where the animosity towards so many kids' show characters and toys comes from, even though I've felt it myself sometimes. What's the origin of this hatred, beyond general annoyance? (In Barney's case I just think his eyes are creepy, and Elmo's voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, but that's about it. If I have the choice I just don't look at or listen to them.)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    I've tried. Every time my friend throws a LAN party, I am a good sport and play along but I just don't get it. I don't get the appeal of Minecraft. I feel so alone.
    You're not alone, though with me it's because after Dwarf Fortress I see Minecraft as hopelessly simplistic.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    examples, please... just make sure that the examples you use are complete quotes and not taken out of context..
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues"

    From the GQ article talking about pre-Civil Rights Louisiana. All blacks need to be happy is segregation and God. If he is telling the truth about never seeing mistreatment (and I don't believe he is) then it must have been because he went to a different school, church, college, shop etc. etc.

    “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,”
    One of these things is not like the others, except in Duck Dynasty.

    Regardless of what I think of his rantings his employers suspended him for his views. They later caved because of financial pressures but why suspend him if he was right?

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,573
    I was going to say "weather".

    I get precipitation.

    But in, lets say, a high or low pressure system, what is the atmosphere actually doing differently from a normal pressure situation?

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    ...a high or low pressure system, what is the atmosphere actually doing differently from a normal pressure situation?
    You'd think that after about four billion years, the atmospheric pressure would have evened out.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues"

    From the GQ article talking about pre-Civil Rights Louisiana. All blacks need to be happy is segregation and God. If he is telling the truth about never seeing mistreatment (and I don't believe he is) then it must have been because he went to a different school, church, college, shop etc. etc.

    “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,”
    One of these things is not like the others, except in Duck Dynasty.

    Regardless of what I think of his rantings his employers suspended him for his views. They later caved because of financial pressures but why suspend him if he was right?
    publicity. also, to pander to the professionally offended.

    i'll ask again: where was the racism and homophobia? you can quote from an edited article and interpret it one way, but if you were to see the complete text- or better yet, an actual unedited video of the interview- you might (or might not) come to a different conclusion.

    disclaimer: i've honestly only ever seen a total of 5 minutes of Duck Dynasty and didn't find it to be compelling tv. i have no personal vested interest in it either way. but i do know how people that look and act like them are presented in the mainstream media and how some people think they are supposed to be- A&E thought they were going to make a show that makes fun of those stupid backwards redneck swamp people with beards, even going so far as to add fake "bleeps" in the early episodes to drive home the image they wanted to portray. but the stars of the show fought back and they got the network to stop bleeping them, and they have been fighting the network since the beginning of the show to keep a family prayer at the end of every episode in the final cut of each episode that airs.
    they were established successful businessmen before they had a tv show, and the network knows they need the Robertsons more than the Robertsons need them. so, while i don't watch the show i have a lot of respect for the Robertson family and trust that they aren't the bunch of backwards ignorant rednecks that a major cable tv network wants them to be. i know people like them- hell, in a lot of ways i am like them.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    i'll ask again: where was the racism and homophobia? you can quote from an edited article and interpret it one way, but if you were to see the complete text- or better yet, an actual unedited video of the interview- you might (or might not) come to a different conclusion.
    Are you seriously saying you can't see the racism and homophobia in those statements?
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,129
    I don't get fans of NASCAR or any college or professional team who are willing to resort to violence over a game (or even a comment regarding the team or one of its players or coaches) with a complete stranger, yet the person has NO affiliation whatsoever with said sports team.

    I like to kid around with people, especially strangers, all in good fun. I was in a small town pub one day to get an early supper and noticed a middle aged guy with a perfectly formed brand new University of Alabama Hat, new Alabama collared shirt (pressed, no less); red Pants with a nice leather belt with the U of Alabama logo, and red and white shoes.

    So I asked him if he was getting ready to do some yard work or something. I was completely joking, just trying to be friendly.

    The man pushed back from the bar and came at me, was in my face in 2 seconds. I was a good 4 inches taller than him, and bigger, but he was ready to knock me flat. The bartender came over to settle him down; I apologized a couple times, and bought him a beer. He calmed down and I asked him when he graduated from Alabama. He didn't. Nor did his wife. or kids. or, presumably, anyone he knew.

    SO I asked him what his affiliation was with U of Alabama which made him so loyal to them that he was ready to do violence at a seconds notice.

    he had no real answer other than they are the greatest college football team of all time.


    I don't get it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •