Page 98 of 124 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3710

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Telemedicine - at least, the kind my employer is pushing.

For $49, I can video chat from special office within our building to a random doctor.

I see no value in this. If I need to see a doctor, I want one who can poke and prod the appropriate places. Iíd also prefer one who is at least a little familiar with my medical history.

(I apologize if I have complained about this before.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

There are some people who just need a prescription refill for a chronic condition, I guess that would be useful.
    Plus the company sees it as you don't need time off because you can do it from your desk.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I ordered clothing from a mail-order company. The nightshirt has a pocket. The pants do not.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I ordered clothing from a mail-order company. The nightshirt has a pocket. The pants do not.
    I have pajamas like that. I hope mine look different than yours.

(Blue and black plaid, if you want to check.)
    Solfe

A grey nightshirt with a pattern of romping cats and balls of yarn. I made myself a pair of pajama bottoms in blue and black plaid once, though.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

A grey nightshirt with a pattern of romping cats and balls of yarn.
    I jumped up to go to the kitchen to get my hotpads with a blue-grey
    background with a pattern of romping kittens and balls of yarn, but
    then realized I must have last seen them last May, when I moved
    to a different apartment. It seems like I was looking at the kittens
    just a few weeks ago. Counting how many different kittens were
    in the repeating pattern. Something like 15.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

I don't get why Facebook wants me to know about things my friends are going to. I suspect it just makes stuff up, which is even odder than the cyber-stalking it encourages. Today it told me a 80 year old woman who is in the hospital, is going to see Henry Rollins. I somehow doubt that.
    Solfe

a couple of weeks ago someone tried friending me using BILs name, the thing he is already friended.

I don't get why anyone wants to be on Facebook.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't get why that has to be explained so many times.

Here's what I do on Facebook. I connect with family and friends in other states and even countries, hearing what they're doing and seeing pictures of them and their families. (A friend from high school has the most adorable new twins!) I'm a member of several discussion groups. I share what I write with people and see what they're creating. I create events, meaning it's easier to invite people; I just have to send special invitations to the three or four friends not on Facebook. (Like my mother, sigh.) I use the Messenger function--when Irene was in the hospital, the easiest way to talk to people was Facebook messenger. It kept me from being alone in that room with Irene and the machines. It also meant that the people who cared about me were able to keep up with what was going on with me and Irene, as the friends to whom I was talking posted it on my wall on Facebook.

"You can't erase icing."

Good morning Miss Gillian, happy new year to you!

I know an interesting tale NOT gleaned from internet clickbait about a Facebook revelation. A mixed pro and con story.

A young man I know, (well younger than me), got taken to the cleaners in a messy divorce and paid a hefty monthly stipend for the last several years.

One day out of boredom he checks out the "You might also know" section and sees his ex-wife's name! He didn't communicate much except to send checks so he clicked on her link.

Just imagine his surprise to see her wedding pictures, dated two years ago, on her Facebook page!

Changed the whole dynamic of his financial situation, it did.

And he was such a sweet guy and was so happy to be out from under the monthly onus that he waived pressing any charges for fraud AND the two years of money given.

Even after the judge gave him the classic D&D ref's "Are you *sure* about that?"

Yep, he just wanted a clean break, forever. (No kids.)

Even HER lawyer thought he was an idiot BTW.

That was about six months ago and now he's showing signs of beginning to flourish. Doing things like smiling for no particular reason and such. (I'm guessing his new girlfriend has a lot to do with it.) And extra $1,800 a month is no small deal. His alimony matched his rent!

On the other hand the ex-wife is a bit sadder and poorer.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Facebook and twitter has it place. Facebook is good to keep in touch with friends and twitter I find better for news. Plus with twitter I got to see what a new building at university looks like from all different angles.

I get why people want to be on face book, there are many reasons some good some bad.
    Gillianren has listed her reasons and I get and respect them.

What I don't get is why people think I'm wrong for not wanting to go on face book or twitter.
    I prefer to keep my life personal private and I don't have any close family or friends that are not local to me. I'm not particularly interested in anybody else's personal life, other than those dear to me.

But then I am a bit of a recluse, in that I prefer my own company the majority of the time.
    Last edited by cosmocrazy; 2018-Jan-22 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I get why people want to be on face book, there are many reasons some good some bad.
    Gillianren has listed her reasons and I get and respect them.

What I don't get is why people think I'm wrong for not wanting to go on face book or twitter.
    I prefer to keep my life personal private and I don't have any close family or friends that are not local to me. I'm not particularly interested in anybody else's personal life, other than those dear to me.
    This is the problem - some people are more sociable than others. If you're a sociable person, you relish the increased opportunities to share news and views with others that Facebook provides. If you're not particularly sociable, you find even the idea of Facebook oppressive, and are quite happy with the limited channels of communication available by phone, text, email and meeting up in person.
    It used to be that socializing was a sort of graduated process, and one could enjoy a bit of social isolation without anyone particularly noticing. Now it's this massive binary choice - either on Facebook or not. And one does grow tired of people expressing sad incredulity that you're not participating in something that they find valuable in their lives.

I won't speak for Trebuchet, but I think that's what many of us mean when we say that we don't get why anyone wants to be on Facebook. It's not that we need to have it explained to us - it's that we simply can't imagine the mindset of people who enjoy being part of it.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Now this does bug me with a passion!
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    one does grow tired of people expressing sad incredulity that you're not participating in something that they find valuable in their lives.
    Grant Hutchison

At parties when folk try to get me to get up and dance! Its not that I dislike dancing, I'm just hopeless at it and not particularly interested in participating. I would rather just sit it out than make a complete fool of myself doing something I'm not really into.
    Last edited by cosmocrazy; 2018-Jan-22 at 02:13 PM.

This is the problem - some people are more sociable than others. If you're a sociable person, you relish the increased opportunities to share news and views with others that Facebook provides. If you're not particularly sociable, you find even the idea of Facebook oppressive, and are quite happy with the limited channels of communication available by phone, text, email and meeting up in person.
    I don't think it is even simply a question of more or less sociable. My sociability works in only certain channels. For example, I'm quite sociable in person, but I hate talking on the phone (I have no idea why). Facebook works quite well for me. It has allowed me to keep in touch with people I otherwise probably wouldn't, and to get in touch with a couple of people I haven't heard from in years. But if it doesn't work for others, I have no problem with that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My sociability works in only certain channels. For example, I'm quite sociable in person, but I hate talking on the phone (I have no idea why).
    I empathise with this (my bold)
    Though I'm the opposite to you, in that I'm more comfortable on the phone than face to face. I'm more sociable on websites like this one than I am at a meeting or party. I'm not particularly shy or retiring, which is odd because the more confident I am the more sociable I become. I'm a very sporting & active person, but tend to participate in solo events/sports where possible. I play golf and enjoy it most when its just me against the course.

I don't think it is even simply a question of more or less sociable. My sociability works in only certain channels. For example, I'm quite sociable in person, but I hate talking on the phone (I have no idea why). Facebook works quite well for me. It has allowed me to keep in touch with people I otherwise probably wouldn't, and to get in touch with a couple of people I haven't heard from in years. But if it doesn't work for others, I have no problem with that.
    My social Venn diagram doesn't really have a set of people I'm not in touch with, with whom I might get in touch if the opportunity presented itself, or from whom I'd welcome an attempt at re-establishing contact. Another aspect of Facebook I very much wouldn't welcome is the prospect of "long lost" acquaintances trying to get in touch.
    (A colleague used to have an answering machine message that said: "Sorry, this is a machine. We're screening calls because there are some people we're trying to avoid. Leave a message and we'll get back to you. And if we don't get back to you, you're one of the people we're trying to avoid. Please stop calling.")

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

My social Venn diagram doesn't really have a set of people I'm not in touch with, with whom I might get in touch if the opportunity presented itself, or from whom I'd welcome an attempt at re-establishing contact. Another aspect of Facebook I very much wouldn't welcome is the prospect of "long lost" acquaintances trying to get in touch.
    (A colleague used to have an answering machine message that said: "Sorry, this is a machine. We're screening calls because there are some people we're trying to avoid. Leave a message and we'll get back to you. And if we don't get back to you, you're one of the people we're trying to avoid. Please stop calling.")

Grant Hutchison
    Another reason I don't use Facebook (my bold) though I'm often accused of being a cynic.

I like the answer message! You'd think folk would get the hint though! Yet some remain persistent even after being ignored many times.

I don't get why that has to be explained so many times.

Here's what I do on Facebook. I connect with family and friends in other states and even countries, hearing what they're doing and seeing pictures of them and their families. (A friend from high school has the most adorable new twins!) I'm a member of several discussion groups. I share what I write with people and see what they're creating. I create events, meaning it's easier to invite people; I just have to send special invitations to the three or four friends not on Facebook. (Like my mother, sigh.) I use the Messenger function--when Irene was in the hospital, the easiest way to talk to people was Facebook messenger. It kept me from being alone in that room with Irene and the machines. It also meant that the people who cared about me were able to keep up with what was going on with me and Irene, as the friends to whom I was talking posted it on my wall on Facebook.
    It's probably just me. Sociability, as mentioned above, is a key. I'm not, very.

My wife does use Facebook much as you describe. Of course, she also gets fake virus warnings and phishing attempts at least once a week, as well as fake relatives and actual relatives trying to hit her up for money. I don't need that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's probably just me. Sociability, as mentioned above, is a key. I'm not, very.
    Well, Graham's not on Facebook because he has literally no friends. Not "very few," none. To the point that once, when we were vaguely discussing the idea of marriage, I realized I had no idea who he'd choose as a best man. (One of his brothers. But only that one, and presumably I'd have to fill out the men's side with friends of my own if we wanted the side equal.) Since the only family member he cares about who doesn't live in town is his sister in Sweden, who doesn't post much on Facebook anyway--and anyway she and I are Facebook friends, so he can see anything she posts and she can see what the kids are up to--he isn't on Facebook and won't be. Graham doesn't even really understand why I'm a member of this board.

My wife does use Facebook much as you describe. Of course, she also gets fake virus warnings and phishing attempts at least once a week, as well as fake relatives and actual relatives trying to hit her up for money. I don't need that.
    I don't get those. My actual relatives know I don't have money; the one who tried to hit me up to invest in what he didn't seem to realize was a scam did so on the phone.

"You can't erase icing."

I don't know what it's like in the USA, but you don't need to have a best man in the UK. We got married without one. Two of the (seven) guests signed the register as witnesses. Job done.
    (We had seven guests and a gatecrasher, actually. One of my wife's friends sneaked into the church and wept noisily from the balcony throughout the ceremony. Which was distracting, since we couldn't see her or figure out what was going on. But apparently she had a great time.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

The only wedding party I was part of the was my grandfathers. He got remarried about a year and a half after my grandmother died. It consisted of his younger brother as best man, her son and law, me and one of her grandsons as ushers. I was probably the most nervous person there because my mother not exactly happy about the situation. The marriage ended two years later and that is when we built the log cabin.

I don't know what it's like in the USA, but you don't need to have a best man in the UK. We got married without one. Two of the (seven) guests signed the register as witnesses. Job done.
    (We had seven guests and a gatecrasher, actually. One of my wife's friends sneaked into the church and wept noisily from the balcony throughout the ceremony. Which was distracting, since we couldn't see her or figure out what was going on. But apparently she had a great time.)

Grant Hutchison
    You don't have to have a best man in the US; it is only a tradition and traditions are often broken. You need a spouse-to-be-1, a spouse-to-be-2 (not even necessary to be bride and groom), the person officiating the ceremony, and a witness.

A female friend of mine, many years ago, wanted me to be the "man of honor" (as opposed to a "maid of honor") at her wedding, but her mom almost had a fit, so my friend changed her plans.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Well, Graham's not on Facebook because he has literally no friends. Not "very few," none.
    Well, that can't be true if he has you.

Grant Hutchison
    Grant, this made me spit my coffee out as I chuckled reading your post!

I got married in Gretna Green, it was my (now ex) wife's sisters idea, which sort of made sense at the time. She fell pregnant with her long term boyfriend. Being quite old fashioned they decided they would like to be wed before the baby was born. Their plan was a quick, quiet wedding at Gretna. While discussing it with me and her sister (my long term girlfriend at the time) she asked if we would go to be their witnesses, then suggested we get married also while we were there. So that's what happened a double wedding at Gretna Green in the Old Blacksmiths area. A year later I got divorced, my ex's sister is still married 15 years on.

Reacting mainly to Kai's comment ...

I've only participated peripherally in two weddings. In one of them
    the minister's homily was about friendship being the basis of any
    marriage. I was somewhat astonished at how closely his remarks
    paralleled my own thinking. I didn't bring the couple together, but
    I did know both of them before they met. She has a degree in
    astrobiology, he has lived on Mars, three times. (The Mars Desert
    Research Station in Utah, actually....)

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

It's more that, if we got married, we'd have a big party version. And it would be obvious if I had a maid of honour and four bridesmaids and he had no one.

"You can't erase icing."

... A female friend of mine, many years ago, wanted me to be (in) her wedding ...
    Something similar happened to me. Well, she was a bit more than a friend. We dated for about a year. But she was set on another guy. He eventually proposed and I was asked to be an usher in their wedding.

There were four ushers. Along with the best man (groom's brother) and the groomsmen (three of his friends), we "decorated" their car. At the best man's suggestion, we wrote the names of the groom's past girlfriends on her side of the car. Then we moved to his side. The best man asked us - as friends of the bride - for the names of her old boyfriends. We feigned ignorance as we had all dated her at one time or another. (Awkward!)

(BTW, it's a testament to her that she not only kept her former boyfriends as friends, but we were willing members of her wedding party.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

It's more that, if we got married, we'd have a big party version. And it would be obvious if I had a maid of honour and four bridesmaids and he had no one.
    That'd be OK though, wouldn't it?
    If we had been able to afford a big party wedding, my wife would probably have invited a couple of her friends into those roles, and I'd have still avoided having a best man. We'd have had a couple of women in fancy dresses to sign the register, which might have been slightly less odd than inviting the entire wedding party into the church office and asking for volunteers (which was what happened on the day).

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: