Page 145 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 4417

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Taking my 3 year old. Grandson for swimming lessons. My daughter normally takes him but her hours at her part time job have just changed so I "volunteered" to take him. It was fun as he is still very much a beginner. There was a lot of emphasis on blowing bubbles and trying to get his eyes under water - something he was not keen about. It has changed a lot from my days - when we learned the trudgeon stroke. There was lots of song singing but with adapted words - like 'the hokey pokey' but with bubble blowing and splashing.

The only problem was that I am not particularly flexible these days and the water, obviously, was shallow and I am tall. I had some trouble getting into the right stance to support him. Still an all-round fun hour in a nicely heated indoor pool - it is a nice sunny day but only about 15 C then.

My niece was born today.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    My niece was born today.
    Happy birthday to her!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

"JJ Watt Announces Engagement to Kealia Ohai"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...hai/ar-AABZuje

I have to admit I have been looking forward to this announcement for some time now.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    "JJ Watt Announces Engagement to Kealia Ohai"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...hai/ar-AABZuje

I have to admit I have been looking forward to this announcement for some time now.
    How many kids do they already have?

In all seriousness, I'd never heard of either of them. That's pretty much typical for me and celebrities.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

"Who?"
    "No, Watt!"
    "How do I know what? ... I'm askin' who?"
    "Watt."
    "Is there something wrong with your hearin'?"
    "What?"
    "I'm not askin' what, I'm askin' who?"
    "I don't know!"
    "Third base!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In all seriousness, I'd never heard of either of them. That's pretty much typical for me and celebrities.
    Even after reading the linked article, I had no idea who they were, other than they are somehow involved in sports.

I wish them well, whoever they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    My niece was born today.
    Congrats to all involved.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Congrats to all involved.
    Her younger sister gave her, her remote for her tv which was lost in the younger ones bedroom. Wrapped it up and with a card too.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Everyone would be a lot happier if each of us set the digital volume on our music machines at prime numbers only, so the volume can go from 11 to 13 to 17 and so on.

Well, it makes me happy.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

My family gets back from vacation today.

We watched Good Omens (three episodes) last night and it was multiple happy-making.

1. My wife liked it! She's not read the book she wouldn't get it. But it was done in a way that was easy to follow, and she's a David Tennant fan anyhow.
    2. And of course, I liked it as well!
    3. And for the first time, we've watched something on Amazon Prime video. I thought I was probably going to just have to watch on the computer. But I set the laptop next to the bedroom TV, hooked up HDMI, and was able to control everything from a mouse on the bedside table. Now we've got to see what else Prime offers.

I have to admit that most of what we watch on Prime is Sesame Street. But there's some good stuff there.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We watched Good Omens (three episodes) last night and it was multiple happy-making.

1. My wife liked it! She's not read the book she wouldn't get it. But it was done in a way that was easy to follow, and she's a David Tennant fan anyhow. .
    Ouch, that came out all wrong! What I meant was "She's not read the book and I was afraid she wouldn't get it".

Over the weekend I greatly increased the free space in my garage. I can now get at items on shelves along one wall without first moving ten boxes.

A yard sale, then a trip with the residual stuff to the re-use shed and dump will do that for you.

When I was done I enjoyed an entire mug of coffee while just looking at the emptiness of it.

Ouch, that came out all wrong! What I meant was "She's not read the book and I was afraid she wouldn't get it".
    Proofreading SAVED YOUR MARRIAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Proofreading SAVED YOUR MARRIAGE!
    The fact that David Tennant was in it didn't hurt. There was actually quite a lot of the 10th Doctor in Crowley. Which, incidentally, I've been pronouncing wrong all this time.

The fact that David Tennant was in it didn't hurt. There was actually quite a lot of the 10th Doctor in Crowley. Which, incidentally, I've been pronouncing wrong all this time.
    Just like Aleister. Crow as in bird, ley as in lee.

"Wrong" meaning "not the way he pronounced it." There is sometimes talk among rock musicians about how Moog should be pronounced. I, like many others, with the vowel sounding like loo, while the "correct" pronunciation, meaning the way he pronounced it, was like the vowel in "know," because it is originally a Dutch name. But the fact is that with English, people with different dialects pronounce words differently and people (especially dead ones) cannot dictate how other people pronounce their name. In fact, I myself have kind of that issue. Jens is a Scandinavian name, so when I'm in Europe everybody called me Yens. Which is technically "incorrect" because I pronounce my name with a hard J and a Z at the end, because I'm American and that's how my parents pronounce it. But I never say that someone is "wrong" for pronouncing it one way or the other; in fact I don't correct people and explain the situation if they ask (or even if they don't ask, like now!)
    As above, so below

Moog (the company (the one with the synthesizers, not the car suspension)) itself confirms it should be pronounced like "vogue" and if I'm not mistaken, they had an ad at one time another that had a line like "Moog is in vogue" or something similar. Bob Moog also confirmed it should be like "vogue" but also that he's fine with the other pronounciation.

I have an old Minimoog. Very handy when you want to remove plaster from walls or wake up entire neighbourhoods.

When I worked at Boeing, Moog Aerospace was a supplier. Always like "vogue".

Graham had initially told me to watch it on my own, as we couldn't guarantee the kid-free time together to watch it. After seeing bits and pieces of the first episode, when I watched it, he asked me to start over so he could watch it, too. Actually, Simon's interetsed in it as well, but I'm okay with watching it through once to decide if I think it's okay for him--I told him he might think it was scary. And there's at least one scene in Episode Four that he won't get.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have pronounced "Moog" as "mooo-g" since the initial release of Switched-On Bach, back when mammoths roamed the subways, and no one is going to make me rhyme that word with "vogue" unless they pry the phonemes from my cold dead lips.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

You won't pronounce it like "vogue" until I threaten to hit that low F with all three oscillators on 32 foot setting. You need a weapons permit for a Minimoog. Which, by sheer coincidence, is pronounced just like the "Mini Moke" which is a totally different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    You won't pronounce it like "vogue" until I threaten to hit that low F with all three oscillators on 32 foot setting. You need a weapons permit for a Minimoog. Which, by sheer coincidence, is pronounced just like the "Mini Moke" which is a totally different thing.
    Do as you will. No one can brown-note me. I am tone-deaf.

The Minimoog is not so much about brown-noting as it is about giving you that "skydiving without a visor" look. If you'd play a Minimoog in San Francisco, half the audience would go "alright people, it's happening. This is the BIG ONE!" and hide underneath their table.

I was thinking about high school tonight, which is usually not a great memory. But my school ran this special program where they had trimester long mini-courses. One of them was on ethics, another was computers and a third should have been a history of non-American sports, but the teacher got stuck on the history of the Caribbean, which was fascinating. It was a really nice program.
    Solfe

Double post. Sorry about that.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    ..."Mini Moke" which is a totally different thing.
    I actually know what that is.

One ran into my Penny Farthing at Portmeirion. Kept getting away.