Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

(With apologies in advance for starting yet another "stuff that" thread.)

This isn't stuff that amuses you, just makes you feel good inside. I'm inspired to write it after having just seen my second bald eagle in a couple of hours. Very, very cool.

Other such: Our kitties. (Most of the time.) Flying pumpkins. The stars, on the rare occasions when they're visible in this part of the world. And the moon, as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Eating. I don't overdo it, but whether it's a bit of cake or a carrot...I feel happy. Always an upswing in mood, happy, with eating.

Writing. Regardless of future success (or not), writing - the creative flow - is very rewarding.

Driving barefoot.

I got to see Orion tonight. That always makes me happy.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Thank you ever so much, Gillian, for reminding me that it's a (relatively) clear tonight and I was going to go look at the stars. Lovely. In addition to Orion, I saw Sirius, the Pleiades, Jupiter, and a whole lot of other pretty things. You've made a good day great for me!

Yay!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Seeing kids happy.

Writing, and drawing (assuming it's a good drawing, I can be very self-critical.)

Autumn leaves.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Orion is always nice.

Kitteh purring is too, and (not only for nostalgia reasons, and yes I am aware I am not the target audience) My Little Pony.

Riding the bicycle to work in the rain and noticing the rainbow.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Among the few things I enjoy about my morning commute are the full moons. As it happens, my route takes me on a road in Atlanta favored by photographers for the view of the city's skyline (which admittedly is not that impressive), looking essentially due west. I'm also an early morning person, arriving at work before the sun is up. So, every month if it's not too cloudly, I get a nice view of the full moon right over the city. On those days, I don't mind if the last traffic light before I get on the interstate stops me. I just sit in my car gazing at the moon.

Seeing Scorpius on the rise in early May.

Getting 8 old Gothic paperbacks at local used bookstore for $1.40 with trade-in credit.

Kissing my cat's nose.

Currently as I leave work in the evenings Orion is right over the gate I use, and Jupiter's a little to the left. Pretty cool.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

It's looking like another clear winter night here so I think I'll haul out the telescope. I haven't done that in a long time, it's mostly used for terrestrial viewing through the front window. With the assistance of Google Night Sky, I think I'll try to find that new supernova in M82. Or at least the galaxy itself. That would be cool.

Yay!

I was searching online, for only 5 minutes, for a particular Gothic ("old school") author. Turns out 3 of her novels (late 1960s/early 1970s) were published in a rare (to find today) Lancer 3-in-1 Easy Eye edition. Two listed online for $27.00.

And then I notice a 3rd seller - here in my city! I regularly do business with them (and hadn't seen that book on recent visits).

Yep, it's in their Internet Section (upstairs/inaccessible to floor). Would I like them to retrieve it, put it on hold for me??

Uh YEAH!!

Just now returned with book in hand, NEAR mint condition. With my trade-in credit only $1.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Currently as I leave work in the evenings Orion is right over the gate I use, and Jupiter's a little to the left. Pretty cool.
    I remember a cartoon that showed Orion's asterism rising in the sky and commenting upon what he saw: "Same old bull every night!"

I am always deeply touched by the wide range of people that take time out of their day to donate blood (ours is a volunteer system - donors are not remunerated). There are men and women, old and young people, suit-and-tie professionals and people in jeans and T-shirts, big people, little people. All coming to one place to freely give something to strangers. Knowing people do this helps keep my faith in humanity and makes me happy.

Oh, hey--I'm clear to give blood now for the first time in YEARS. I should go do that.

"You can't erase icing."

I've walked to work everyday for 16 days and lost a bunch of weight, including one day of in a blizzard. Plus the work isn't bad and is right in my neighborhood. I am very happy right now.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Oh, hey--I'm clear to give blood now for the first time in YEARS. I should go do that.
    Good for you. I had to take a year off after my accident and finally got back in a couple of weeks ago.

I did a little more star-gazing last night. Lovely! I had to go around behind the house to close a gate and realized there's much less annoying light back there so I took the telescope back.

Today I'm making up for the migraine that kept me from my nephew's birthday party. I'm taking him to the Lego movie and out for ice cream. He calls it a "mini-party".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

As happens every other year, I'm happy that we live close enough to the Canadian border to get CBC on our cable systems, so we don't have to watch the Olympics on American TV.

My husband had only 1 seizure this a.m. (3:15 local).

Caught me completely by surprise. No indications last night or yesterday.

I gave him medication after the seizure, when he was lucid enough to take it. Since then, no more seizures and he's sleeping soundly. Yay!!

Seems we are "out of the woods."

It could have been otherwise (his seizure episodes can be VERY unpredictable).

So I'm happily working while he's soundly sleeping!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    My husband had only 1 seizure this a.m. (3:15 local).

Caught me completely by surprise. No indications last night or yesterday.

I gave him medication after the seizure, when he was lucid enough to take it. Since then, no more seizures and he's sleeping soundly. Yay!!

Seems we are "out of the woods."

It could have been otherwise (his seizure episodes can be VERY unpredictable).

So I'm happily working while he's soundly sleeping!
    I hope, as they say Buttercup - one and he's done.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Having Jupiter as a bodyguard :-)

Vanilla cheesecake with (seedless) blackberry swirl in a chocolate cookie crust.

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense View Post
    Having Jupiter as a bodyguard :-)
    When my son was about two, he would attempt to name all the planets. He would consistently garble some of the names:

Mercury was Mur-ker-ee.
    Venus, Earth and then Maz were pretty understandable.
    Jupiter was always "Boop-bee!" and was preceded by a long pause.
    Saturn was simply "Sat-Hat!"
    He could say Uranus pretty accurately: "You-run-us".
    Pronunciation was back to normal for Neptune and Pluto, except Pluto had to be shouted.
    Pluto was always followed by "Stars!" and then "Ball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    When my son was about two, he would attempt to name all the planets. He would consistently garble some of the names:

Mercury was Mur-ker-ee.
    Pronunciation was back to normal for Neptune and Pluto, except Pluto had to be shouted.
    As a father myself, hearing that makes ME happy :-) You are blessed to have such fond memories. You have obviously left your legacy in your progeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

Mercury was Mur-ker-ee.
    Seems he pronounced them all rather well!

Except for Jupiter, and I wonder how he got "Boop-Bee" out of that. That is SO cute. I'll remember it.

Maybe it was the "p" in Jupiter? My nephew called "Snoopy" (the Peanuts character) "Noo-me."

For the longest time we couldn't figure out how he learned the names at all. It turns out we had a coffee table book with pictures of the planets under the sofa. The baby sitter would read it to him, then put it back.

I took Simon for a walk around the block today. (Our block is a mile around.) As we neared home again, I saw another mother pushing a stroller--with a boy walking alongside her with a large stuffed Curious George in a toy stroller.

"You can't erase icing."

We had a pizza party for the kids at school today. One of the children does not eat meat and yet he grabbed a slice of pepperoni pizza. Before I could do anything, he started plucking the pepperoni off and threw them over his shoulder with a loud "Oink! Oink! Oink!"

Funniest stuff I have seen all week.